Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds
Photo

Sister Wives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
If you have not heard or caught wind of this new show on TLC I found the 1st episode to be very engaging.
Actually it was kinda like watching Big Love without Drama.

The people are likeable and I love a show that challenges my own belief system (I am not sure I really had one on Plural Marriage).
I also like a show that has me thinking that I could use a couple of Sister Wives to accomplish the near impossible task of managing a household, working a full time job and raising a family.

Somewhere I heard that this was like seeing the early episodes of Jon and Kate Plus 8 - Before the Egos/Fame. Never having seen the early shows I am finding that this show is really refreshing from all the characters that I see on Relaity Shows today (there does not appear to be a Jon, Kate, "Snookie" or "Situation" lurking anywhere in this bunch.

pinkie

pinkie

• Pip
  • 4,046 posts
Since you posted this here:

http://news.yahoo.co...s_investigation

SALT LAKE CITY The family with four wives had hoped its participation on a TLC reality TV show would shed light on polygamy but is now the target of a bigamy investigation by Utah police.

"Sister Wives," which premiered Sunday, chronicles the life of 41-year-old advertising salesman Kody Brown, his four wives, 13 children and three stepchildren. The Browns, of Lehi, have said they hoped that the peek into their lives would help broaden the public's understanding of plural families.

Lehi police are investigating whether the family is violating bigamy laws in plain view on cable TV. Brown is only legally married to Meri but also calls three other women his spouses: Janelle, Christine and Robyn.

"...When we decided to do this show, we knew there would be risks," the Brown family said in a statement Tuesday. "But for the sake of our family, and most importantly, our kids, we felt it was a risk worth taking."

Most polygamist families practice in secret, but it has entered the national dialogue given its portrayal on the HBO scripted drama "Big Love." The modern Mormon church excommunicates members found engaged in the practice, which was disavowed by the church in 1890 as part of a push for Utah's statehood.

On a TLC ad for "Sister Wives," one wife says: "I think we're normal, and then I go out and then I'm like, 'Oh yeah, I can't tell anybody about my normal family.'"

Across Utah and parts of the western U.S., an estimated 38,000 self-described fundamentalist Mormons continue to believe and/or practice polygamy, believing it brings exaltation in heaven.

Over the past 10 years, Utah's historically insular polygamist community has worked to educate the public and state agencies about its culture. State agencies now better understand the unique aspects of polygamous culture and plural families are less hesitant to seek help when needed, Principle Voices co-founder Anne Wilde said.

The Brown family's decision to do a reality TV show was sort an extension of that education work, said Wilde, who knows the family well.

Although it is rarely prosecuted, bigamy is a third-degree felony in Utah, punishable by a prison term of up to five years. Under the Utah law, a person can be found guilty of bigamy through cohabitation, not just legal marriage contracts.

Lehi police said the evidence gathered from the probe will be turned over to the Utah County attorney's office for possible prosecution. A message left for Paul was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Utah last prosecuted a polygamist for bigamy in 2001. Tom Green, who was married to five women and drew the attention of Utah authorities after promoting his lifestyle on national TV talk shows, was convicted on bigamy, criminal nonsupport and child rape charges. He spent six years in prison and was released in 2007.

The Utah attorney general's office has investigated the state's secretive polygamous communities, but focused its efforts on cases involving allegations of abuse, sexual assault and fraud, not bigamy.

"It has been our office's position not to pursue cases of bigamy between consenting adults," the attorney general's spokesman, Scott Troxel, said Tuesday. "We want to use our resources wisely."

Wilde said she fears an investigation into the Brown family will instill fear in plural families about going public with their lives.

"If it really goes to a court situation, then our people are going to go right back into isolation," she said.

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
OOOPSSSIEEEESSSSSS

itsnotbb9

itsnotbb9

• Pip
  • 1,087 posts
I really like this show so far! Big Love is one of my all-time favorite shows and I am reality tv junkie so this is right up my alley. lol

I enjoyed the first episode. I already like Kody more than I like Bill on Big Love. lol I think the wives all seem really sweet and I love how happy everyone seems. I was pretty sad when I read about them being investigated, I hope everything works out for them.

Cathy

Cathy

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 1,349 posts
Much to my surprise, I really liked the show. The family appears pretty normal to me!

Personally, I find the Duggar clan as the ones to be creeped out by. Zombies I tell ya, Zombies!!

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
2 more 1/2 hour episodes last night, I enjoyed them.

Courting of a new wife interesting viewing impact across the current and future family.

Sample Dialog:

Wife 3 or 2: "He deserves a trophy wife." (in reference to future wife 4)
Wife 1: "I'm cute".

itsnotbb9

itsnotbb9

• Pip
  • 1,087 posts
I'm not sure if I like the new wife too much. Something about her just feels weird to me. Wife number three is by far my favorite - and I actually think she's the prettiest.

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
So last night we were treated to 2 new episodes.

We got to see:
The birth of a 13th baby (on the 13th day of the month) with Wife number 3.
The celebration of a 20th wedding anniversary with Wife number 1.
And the pre-mairrage family integration with future wife number 4.

All without too much drama....

Gerri

Gerri

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Personally I don't care what people do as long as nobody is hurt - but that Kody just makes me want to scratch. He is just creepy and somewhat self-centered to me.

And I agree - I get a bad vibe from Robin too - for wanting to live the lifestyle she was much too comfy in her own house apart from the other wives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users