How Would you make BB "Fair"

Guest 6Borders

Guest 6Borders

This was discussed as to what "only ONE" change you would make to Big Brother (so if you want to combine the threads it's fine with me) but more specifically what would you do, based on how everyone says the game is rigged, to make Big Brother at least appear to be more fair????

A couple of things I have:

1. BB should list all the competitions, in order, on their website before the show even begins. They would not have to give in-depth detailed descriptions but at least the fans would know that comps were not changed around based on who Grodner wanted to win HOH or POV that week.

2. POV: all players should put the chip with their name into the clearly empty bag and see the "houseguest choice" chip also put in.

3. All houseguests should be able to compete for major powers such as the diamond pov, making the decision as a house on things like opening Pandora's box, etc.

HoH, noms, PoV (all play), luxury competition where all play for specifics foods and luxuries TOGETHER

that's it

No DPoV, no Coup no HG's voted back in

If they want twists they can do things like sab or like in Dick's day where each member had a pair

-Kyo

There isn't anything you can do to make Big Brother fair. At least not for everyone. Lets be honest here, a lot of the hating on AG every year comes from peoples favorites being eliminated. If you hate Brendon, then you're probably going to assume the second Pandora's Box was a fix because nobody else would have unleashed Rachel. If you hate Matt, you're going to be sore about the DPOV and were probably one of the ones complaining that Big Brother didn't take it from him for speculating about powers in the house. And so on.

People won't stop winding up so mad about the game until they stop fixating on one player as their favorite. You have to treat Big Brother like a horse race. As in, you get to bet on a number of different horses because if you just bet on one you'd probably go crazy.

I mean, all of your suggestions have bad sides to them. Post a list of all the competitions beforehand and force yourself to stick to them and you could wind up with boring and/or anticlimactic competitions depending on what's going on in the house. They need to have some leeway to call things on the fly. Watching them put chips into the bag each week would get a little boring, and just because a small percentage of viewers think the game is fixed. I'm pretty sure your third suggestion would guarantee that no Pandora's Box is ever opened again. Put the decision to group think and they'll all just wuss out like it was a competition or something.

The best change I can think of that might improve our enjoyment of the game a little bit would be a camera of the Diary Room being added to the live feeds. Or even just posted on the web after a sufficient delay if needed. It would give us an inside look at a vital part of the game without tying the hands of the producers.

In the end though Big Brother is more of a fun social science experiment than it is a serious gameshow. If you can't deal with the producers meddling you probably should stop watching. It's never going to change.

This was discussed as to what "only ONE" change you would make to Big Brother (so if you want to combine the threads it's fine with me) but more specifically what would you do, based on how everyone says the game is rigged, to make Big Brother at least appear to be more fair????

A couple of things I have:

1. BB should list all the competitions, in order, on their website before the show even begins. They would not have to give in-depth detailed descriptions but at least the fans would know that comps were not changed around based on who Grodner wanted to win HOH or POV that week.

2. POV: all players should put the chip with their name into the clearly empty bag and see the "houseguest choice" chip also put in.

3. All houseguests should be able to compete for major powers such as the diamond pov, making the decision as a house on things like opening Pandora's box, etc.

I think those are all fabulous suggestions of ways to make the game more fair. My only fear is that it might make it more boring. As much as I hate some of the advantages that certain players are given, things like the DPOV, Coup 'de tat, etc. certainly keep things interesting (but not fair).

There isn't anything you can do to make Big Brother fair. At least not for everyone. Lets be honest here, a lot of the hating on AG every year comes from peoples favorites being eliminated. If you hate Brendon, then you're probably going to assume the second Pandora's Box was a fix because nobody else would have unleashed Rachel. If you hate Matt, you're going to be sore about the DPOV and were probably one of the ones complaining that Big Brother didn't take it from him for speculating about powers in the house. And so on.

People won't stop winding up so mad about the game until they stop fixating on one player as their favorite. You have to treat Big Brother like a horse race. As in, you get to bet on a number of different horses because if you just bet on one you'd probably go crazy.

I mean, all of your suggestions have bad sides to them. Post a list of all the competitions beforehand and force yourself to stick to them and you could wind up with boring and/or anticlimactic competitions depending on what's going on in the house. They need to have some leeway to call things on the fly. Watching them put chips into the bag each week would get a little boring, and just because a small percentage of viewers think the game is fixed. I'm pretty sure your third suggestion would guarantee that no Pandora's Box is ever opened again. Put the decision to group think and they'll all just wuss out like it was a competition or something.

The best change I can think of that might improve our enjoyment of the game a little bit would be a camera of the Diary Room being added to the live feeds. Or even just posted on the web after a sufficient delay if needed. It would give us an inside look at a vital part of the game without tying the hands of the producers.

In the end though Big Brother is more of a fun social science experiment than it is a serious gameshow. If you can't deal with the producers meddling you probably should stop watching. It's never going to change.

You have some good points. I don't think BB will ever be 100% fair, but that doesn't mean that we can't discuss it. It does allow for some surprise for us viewers not to know exactly what the competitions will be. However, as it stands we will always suspect that they designed certain competitions to help a particular player win.

I think the idea about putting the names in the POV bag is a good idea. It might be boring to watch, but they don't have to show it on TV every week. Just having the HG know that there name was definitely in the bag would help. That way the players wouldn't be sitting around discussing the possibility of it not being in there. I'm not sure this really happens anyway. The week that both Brendon and Rachel were pulled from the bag, people were suspecting something was up. I don't think it was too fishy b/c if production put a player's name in there more than once - eventually some week on some episode they'd pull the same name twice. CBS can't risk that happening. They could however conveniently leave a player's name out of the bag.

I don't see the DR camera as an option. They won't even allow the players discuss DR sessions :lipsrsealed2: so I can't imagine taping them for a live feed on the internet. However, with that being said - this would be very interesting to watch! I did find it interesting when I read that Matt said the DR people were happy when he was nomintaed b/c that meant he'd use the DPOV. This goes to show their influence on the game.

The idea about all players competing for major powers is a great idea. The only downfall I see is that CBS likes the surprise of the HG not knowing the power exists until the moment it is used. That would ruin that, but it would certainly be more fair. I mean Matt won HOH and got HOH that week, named 2 nominees, and was safe during that week, he also got to veto a nominee the next week, remove himself from the block, and name a replacement nominee. All for winning one competition. Brendon won HOH which meant he was safe from eviction and got to nominate one person, that's it. They both won and HOH but yet their reward was much different. So yes, I think that all players should be allowed to play for any special powers. It should not be given to someone based on viewer votes or anything else.

Wouldn't you love to work in production for a week or two to see how it all really works? (On 2nd thought, they might make you not even a fan of BB once you knew how controlled the whole game is!) I'm a little surprised I've never seen anyone on a message board who works or worked in production. I'm sure they sign a contract, but on the internet you can make everything anonymous. But, even if someone made that claim we'd never know if they really did work in production or if they were just a liar.

The idea about all players competing for major powers is a great idea. The only downfall I see is that CBS likes the surprise of the HG not knowing the power exists until the moment it is used. That would ruin that, but it would certainly be more fair. I mean Matt won HOH and got HOH that week, named 2 nominees, and was safe during that week, he also got to veto a nominee the next week, remove himself from the block, and name a replacement nominee. All for winning one competition. Brendon won HOH which meant he was safe from eviction and got to nominate one person, that's it. They both won and HOH but yet their reward was much different. So yes, I think that all players should be allowed to play for any special powers. It should not be given to someone based on viewer votes or anything else.

I think it may be interesting to see how differently the game would play out if everyone knew who had the special power. Obviously if everyone knew Matt had the DPOV the people put on the block would have been very different and would most likely have wound up being the people that Matt said he wanted out. While you lose the element of surprise like you said, you'd gain an added element of game play.

I've watched BB since day one and although I don't remember everything but there's one thing that's certain. This game will never be fair. Over the last 2 or 3 seasons I have seen or heard HG's being given "help" from the producers. It gives them some control to make sure fan favorites stay in the house longer. If they did not do that there would probably not be a season 12. I don't like it one bit when I see a "reality" show fixed. But I do understand rating will make or break a show and AG has to be able to manipulate things from time to time to insure ratings don't drop because a fan fave left too soon.

Besides, it give us something to bitch about when the HG'a are boring, like this year.

Maybe people should just quit whining about how things aren't fair. That would be lovely!!!! I will agree this year they have been twisting things around a bit like Matt being given Diamond POV by production. If it's by the fans I have no problem with it, but with production it could be fishy. Unless they did really decide ahead of time that on this week this person will get the Diamond POV if they win HOH and open Pandora's Box.

I agree with Stevea, I hate it but I think it really has to be done or there would be no more BB. I'd rather watch a semi rigged BB than no BB, I think most people here would as well. Plus their ratings are fantastic right now so whatever they are doing I guess they should keep doing it. I think Grodner knows these houseguests SUCK pretty bad and she and production have tried with all their might to keep it good and I would say they have done a good job.

I think the show is fair.

I dont think they switch stuff around for players... Matt is one of the least favorite HG this season, why would they give him the DPoV?

Plus, If they listed all the competitions ahead of time, there is no suprise for us at all. And, we would see "oh, its another Q&A test.. Racheal will probably win again.. i may just not watch tonight."

if all these things happened like yall are suggesting, the people who are happy with how the show is now, wouldnt be happy.. there is no way to meet everybody's needs.... and the show is getting great ratings this season, So I dont see the big deal.

IMO the competitions are fair enough already...some for people with small feet, some for people with great memories, some for people with good analytical skills, some for people who are greedy and some for people who are needy! The stuff like Pandora's box seem a little "tilted" but thats one way to make for some excitement...who in ther right mind would make the choice to bring back Rachel, have Jesse as a trainer (or much of anything else)...AG does a pretty decent job and those games and stuff are planned way in advance I'm sure to make sure they work, have what they need to build them and have the right EMT's around in case of accidents!

Personally I would have liked ALL the comps to be geared to Kathy, Britney, Rachel, Annie and I guess Ragan so they had better chances to win!

I don't know about fair but AG, please stop bringing Jesse on the show. If he can't get a job to support himself in any other way, just make him your pool boy.

thank you straykat, for that fine feline idea!

exactly!

Plus, they may switch competitons around within a week or 2, BUT if a week is turingout to be the most exciting one ever, and the next one may be the most important HOH in the season, they may make that week a Endurance, and make the Q&A that they would have had the next weekk...No big deal.

Make BB more spontaneous by eliminating the Dr changing the HOHs' plans on who to put up, align with, etc. Too many times we have seen a person make a decision, be called to the DR and come out with a new plan(changed original decision). BB claims it does not happen but it is seen over and over again, year to year.

Everybody's gotta play for POV. That's the most important thing. Backdooring is a crock of sh*t. There should be absolutely no "random chance" in a game like this. It's gotta be fair for everyone, even the scumbags.

No Diamond Veto, no Coup, and no America's Choice. And they really need to start assigning measured stations for HGs in competitions. Just like Survivor does, so in events like the paint can competition, they would have individual ledges to stand on measured for their shoe size. Not just throwing people up there with feet bigger than Shaq on a 5" ledge. Yeah, Brendon is annoying, but he's 100% valid in his complaints about competition fairness on production's part.

One change I would LOVE to see: all vote results are kept from the houseguests. They are revealed in realtime to the audience only. This way you get rid of the mob mentality that has absolutely soured this show. Then when somebody stays, nobody knows who or how many people voted against the mob mentality.

Everybody's gotta play for POV. That's the most important thing. Backdooring is a crock of sh*t. There should be absolutely no "random chance" in a game like this. It's gotta be fair for everyone, even the scumbags.

No Diamond Veto, no Coup, and no America's Choice. And they really need to start assigning measured stations for HGs in competitions. Just like Survivor does, so in events like the paint can competition, they would have individual ledges to stand on measured for their shoe size. Not just throwing people up there with feet bigger than Shaq on a 5" ledge. Yeah, Brendon is annoying, but he's 100% valid in his complaints about competition fairness on production's part.

One change I would LOVE to see: all vote results are kept from the houseguests. They are revealed in realtime to the audience only. This way you get rid of the mob mentality that has absolutely soured this show. Then when somebody stays, nobody knows who or how many people voted against the mob mentality.

I think that's a great idea to not reveal the vote count! One of the things I've hated the last 2 seasons is the need to "vote with the house." If I remember right, Kathy is the only person this entire season that has voted differently than the house. The most exciting evictions for me are the ones where the HG's come into the DR and don't all vote the same way. Maybe if they knew the vote count was anonymous, they wouldn't be so afraid to vote the way they want to.

Diamond POV was a crock. Then again Matt is probably going home the very next week. Karma?

Let's not kid ourselves. BB manipulates the game in a lot of ways we never see or hear. You will never be able to make the game "fairer" in that context

I have to admit i did not like the DPOV, but I have to ask myself is it because Matt had it and my FAV didnt or did I think it was wrong. I remember when Jeff won the coup de ta (sp) I was excited becuase he was my FAV so I thought it was great...if someone else had won it I would have probably been mad, like I was with Matt's DPOV win.

Archived