Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Project Runway

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

CeCiMom

CeCiMom

Forum Moderator

• 8,579 posts
So, excited... new season starts tonight!!!

Shipp

Shipp

• Pip
  • 2,650 posts

So, excited... new season starts tonight!!!

Me too. I love that show. "Make it work."

GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps

• Pip
  • 18,329 posts
Oh no, Cassanova is gone, he was my favorite. I'm hoping Michael C wins it all and the mean girls Ivy and Gretchen get thrown out!!!!

Oleander

Oleander

• Pip
  • 312 posts

Oh no, Cassanova is gone, he was my favorite. I'm hoping Michael C wins it all and the mean girls Ivy and Gretchen get thrown out!!!!

I so agree! I loved when the judges called Ivy a seamstress not a designer and when she landed in the bottom 3 and her partner landed in the top 3.

I'm growing to like Mondo more as a person since he at least opened his mind about Michael C. and admitted he was wrong about him.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,732 posts
This had to be the most emotional PR I've seen.
If you didn't see the show and it's a favorite of yours...
you may want to watch the re-run of it.
The Runway at the end of the show had just about everyone
choking back tears.

The outfits have been mediocre (for the most part this Season)
and there were really no big 'WOWs' on tonites either.
(I have not seen last week's show yet)

But, I came away sniffling.

cleave

cleave

• Pip
  • 45 posts

This had to be the most emotional PR I've seen.

I agree completely!! I loved this episode, but not for the designs.

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
This is up there in terms of one of my fav ever Reality TV episodes ever.

Mondo could be the Pedro Zamora (Real World SF) of this generation.
I found his design totally inspired And i felt that we the viewers were part of Mondo's journey.

Incredible - hopefully this episode wins an Emmy.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,732 posts
Calif... Never gave a thought to it being considered for an Emmy.
It should at least be in the running... for sure.

I can't help thinking how this would give Mondo's decision to
tell his story validation.
It was very brave of him to finally share this very personal thing.

Ivy

Ivy

• Pip
  • 1,746 posts
It also appeared to be very genuine. So often, on reality tv, such dramatic scenarios give off the vibe of being set up and contrived. This did not. Not at all.
I loved it.

gizzmotor

gizzmotor

• Pip
  • 3,002 posts
:animated_rotfl: Love this show, not sure the cast has much personality thouhg....

Oleander

Oleander

• Pip
  • 312 posts
The growth in Mondo socially as well as creatively has been a joy to watch for me. To see someone who felt like such a misfit all his life now enjoying the company of his competitors and appreciating someone like Michael C for who he is really makes me appreciate what a show like this can do for someone. I hope he succeeds even if he doesn't win.

And then to watch Gretchen make Mondo's revelation all about herself made me dislike her more which I didn't think was possible.

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
While I am happy that Mondo made Fashion Week, I am really sad that Michael Costello did not get to show in Fashion Week.

While Michael is maybe not the best designer I do like him and did think many of his clothers were much prettier then the other designers. While I think Mondo might win Fan Favorite I hope that Mondo wins Project Runway and that Michael C. somehow earns fan favorite.

I think Michael started the season even stating that he was going to be the "bad guy" but from early on I could sense he had a very sweet and deep side and I hated the way some of the others treated him. I loved that week after week the judges would praise him or he would be in the top 2 after the other designers would gang up on him.

I think that Project Runway is doing for Michael C's family's acceptance of his homosexuality what Project Runway has done for Mondo sharing his HIV status. This season has genuinely had more human elements than previous - maybe it is how Lifetime is putting its signature on the show but I did like it.

I could do without Gretchen personally but overall the top 3 are acceptable.

Chris March continues to be my all time favorite Project Runway desginer.
So how about it - who your favorite designer? Favorite for this Season? Favorite overall designer?

Mendes56

Mendes56

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 2,462 posts
The finale was such a disappointment! I cannot believe Gretchen won, her stuff was pretty monochromatic and boring. And what was up with the granny panties? Who the heck would wear that crap?

Pathetic!

Oleander

Oleander

• Pip
  • 312 posts

The finale was such a disappointment! I cannot believe Gretchen won, her stuff was pretty monochromatic and boring. And what was up with the granny panties? Who the heck would wear that crap?

Pathetic!

This was the first time I had seen an extended deliberation by the judges. I understand their decision even if I don't agree with it. But I'm having a hard time separating my dislike of Gretchen and appreciation for Mondo with their runway designs. I'm older so I would be more likely to wear Greatchen's designs than Mondo's but this show is not for folks like me. I think its to celebrate new, innovative designs that are the future of fashion and I think Mondo better represented that point of view than Gretchen did. I'm sure I can dig out some 60's clothes that look just like Gretchen's but would I wear them today? No. The past is just that and I have no desire to look like an aging hippie which is how I think I'd look in her clothes. I'm disappointed in the end result but I sincerely hope that Mondo succeeds. Maybe an established house will take him in as an apprentice like they have other contestants in other years.

CeCiMom

CeCiMom

Forum Moderator

• 8,579 posts
I'm so shocked Gretchen won but, in a good way! I was a Gretchen fan but, didn't think there was any way for Mondo to lose this season. I thought the most innovative designer was Andy. Some of my favorite outfits were by him but, he totally blew it during fashion week. It was like a completely (boring) designer took over his collection.

This was the first season that the final 4 were all good designers, imo. And, seeing Michael not make final 3 was a bummer but, I couldn't have narrowed it down to 3 (as a fan) so, I'm glad the judges had that job.

There was always something "calculating" about Mondo that made me wary of him as a person and I'm not sure I can put my finger on exactly what it was but, I wasn't as gaga over him as most viewers seemed to be. But, I still liked him and loved his designs this season too.

I felt Gretchen was on the cutting edge of where fashion is going and I truly enjoyed her as a strong, confident woman that wasn't afraid to speak her mind. Imo... she wasn't too bitchy but, rather blunt. She did what producers asked her to do which was to critique the other designers each week (just like everyone else in those one-on-one interviews did) she was not the 1st or last one to verbally rip apart another designers creation.

Why I liked her is that she separated her opinion of the designs from the designer and even though she didn't always appreciate what others were designing she did like them as a person. I also appreciated her "journey" and I think as the show went on (and especially after Tim put her in her place early in the season) she took a look at herself introspectively and faced the mirror.

The thing I appreciated about Mondo and Gretchen is that they stayed true to their aesthetic throughout the season and defended their "babies" (sometimes to a fault for gretchen when the judges would question her design ideas AND for Mondo at the end when they told him not to go costumie) which says to me they are both true artists.

I think both will be successful and if Andy goes back to his true aesthetic I think he might be the most successful of the 3. And, finally Michael probably has the talent for a sustainable career... he's phenomenal at dresses (I think red-carpet but, maybe not A listers.)

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
While Gretchen was not my fan fav...I did find her stuff the most appealing to what I might buy, what I might be able to wear.

I did think that some interesting points were discussed in the finale and this season around what is fashion today - in this economy.
Fashion is a business - and for today - fashion forward may not be the Mondo's, Andy's, Seth Aarron', Jeffery Seblia's or Christian Sirano's

Should fashion right now be throw-away?
Can anyone (even the most fashionable) afford to spend $ on one season wonders?

Maybe now is the time for the little black dress, the classics, more muted, more sedate, more wearable by more people.
At least that is what I learned from Project Runway this season.

One other thought: I think I like the Lifetime retooling of this show...
I think I learned more about the people behind the designs.
There was more personal drama this season. Less ruthless fashion business.
There was even more human/personal sides of the judges.
I even liked Tim's interactions with Swatch (the dog at Mood).

FLYNWA

FLYNWA

• Pip
  • 725 posts
I cant believe G(reatch)en won! I thought Mondo should have won! Her stuff reminded me of 70's earth-tone everything. I thought Mondo was hip and fresh!

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
I was getting my hair cut the other day and came across this article in Marie Claire about Mondo and the episode where he shared his HIV+ status.

Mondo is up there on my Project Runway alltime favs and this episode had the judges, the designers and myself in tears.

My link

http://www.marieclai...uerra-interview

itsnotbb9

itsnotbb9

• Pip
  • 1,087 posts

I was getting my hair cut the other day and came across this article in Marie Claire about Mondo and the episode where he shared his HIV+ status.

Mondo is up there on my Project Runway alltime favs and this episode had the judges, the designers and myself in tears.

My link

http://www.marieclai...uerra-interview

Thanks so much for posting! He's one of my all time favorite designers from the show, too. There was not a dry eye in my house when we watched the textile print episode.

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
Ironically enough a couple of days after I posted the Marie Claire ariticle on Mondo I was so pleased to find Mondo as one of 3 fahsion experts on a Red Carpet review right after the Oscar's on ABC. I believe in the past this coveted timeslot was used for a Barbara Walters special - wow Mondo you've come a long way and you did not even win Project Runway.

I enjoyed seeing Mondo's involvement in this year's Oscar's almost as much as I enjoyed Meryle Streep wearing a Chris March design at last year's Oscar's. Chris March was another one of my Project Runway All-Star's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users