Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds
Photo

Best Comedy of All Time...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Gorilla

Gorilla

• Pip
  • 93 posts
Hmm... Best comedy of all time...

All the arguing in the Big Brother section of this forum over the summer. *nods*

crappysucks

crappysucks

• Pip
  • 2,610 posts
QUOTE(Gorilla @ Dec 30 2005, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm... Best comedy of all time...

All the arguing in the Big Brother section of this forum over the summer. *nods*

It was amusing, wasn't it? laugh.gif

Gorilla

Gorilla

• Pip
  • 93 posts
QUOTE(crappysucks @ Dec 31 2005, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was amusing, wasn't it? laugh.gif

Having had a glance at the Big Brother forum for the first time in a few weeks earlier... apparently it still is. heh

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
ALL IN THE FAMILY and SEINFELD

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
QUOTE(MsMommyx5 @ Jan 1 2006, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Friends, Seinfeld and I love Lucy

Each of those were "classics" for their times smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

morty

morty

(Well, You Know....)

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 2,464 posts
I’ve never been able to answer this question with a single show title, or even a close tie.

I have a lot of favorites and you can’t compare them to each other because they are so dissimilar. As some of you may know, I’m a big fan of old-time radio, where many of our series began. The first show to go from radio to TV and get the sit-com formula right, IMHO, was “I Love Lucy.” But Lucy was over the top, and not realistic. Lucy was without a doubt the best show of the 1950's. I feel the first great sit-com with a sophistication worthy of the modern viewer was “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” Still funny forty years later. I just got my “Andy Griffith Show” DVDs and they’ve got me laughing out loud, but only the black and white ones with Barney.

Mary Tyler Moore used Dick Van Dyke’s workplace/home formula for her show and created an excellent program, but for that era, my choice is “All in the Family,” but only while Mike and Gloria were living in the same house. “Soap” had me laughing out loud, and was the best satire of soap operas ever brought to TV, somehow is seem to have lost a punch over the years, but still good enough that I bought the whole series on DVD.

I am also a big fan of “M*A*S*H,” but only the first three seasons. The remaining eight season may have had a few well-done episodes, the first three seasons were brilliant. When we think back on our favorite series, we tend to forget bad episodes a series might have had, even if the bad ones out number the good.

The 80's brought us “Cheers,” which I enjoyed thoroughly in it’s original run, but the reruns just look like a caricature of the 80's– a good one, still funny, maybe I just watched it too much. HBO’s “Dream On” is one of the most creative shows I’ve ever seen, just as funny as “Cheers.”

Now I know the subject is “comedy” but the guy that makes me laugh the loudest is Joss Whedon. Whedon was writing for “Roseanne” during the season that Jackie was a cop, and I think this was the best of “Roseanne.” He gave such dialog as:

Jackie: “You know, us cops have a saying... you never pull a dead man out of a seatbelt.”
Darlene: “So what, do you just leave them there? “

So even though “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” is not considered a sit-com, Whedon’s brilliant wit would always come through for a brief moment making me laugh louder than many of the sit-coms of the 1990's. Because of sci-fi nature of the show, I just can’t give you a line of dialog to illustrate, but fans may recall when Giles became a prehistoric demon and chased Professor Walsh down the street, I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

OK, the 1990's gave us “Seinfeld” and “Friends,” in think it’s slam-dunk that “Seinfeld” was the better of the two (I know-- just my opinion). Although I thought “Friends” was great, by the time it ended I was getting tired of it. With “Seinfeld,” I never got tired of it, and still watch a rerun of it almost every day.

Now, they’re the quality shows I admit to watching, but I’ll confess I like the schlock too. “Green Acres,” and episode of “Bewitched” with the first Darren, “Beverly Hillbillies,” “Leave it to Beaver,” “Petticoat Junction,” and “Addams Family.” I may not laugh out loud to them any more, but they’re like old friends that I can hang out with and never tire of.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,525 posts
It's like eating Peanuts....

All of the above (except Buffy - never really watched it for some reason)

I find myself wanting to add .....
Benson
Taxi
WKRP
Barney Miller
Nite Court

Sit-Coms in the past 10 years or so just seem like a lot of 'one liners' strung together to fill up a half hour. I'd rather just tune into the 'oldies'.

salter-path

salter-path

Columnist

• Pip
  • 1,415 posts
The very first tv show I remember laughing so hard I cried was at Amos and Andy. Kingfish was the funniest man I had ever seen. I believe I was maybe 4 or 5, I know I am telling my age here:-). We had a very small Crosley tv that I was mesmerized by. My dad would unplug the tv and insist it was broken to make me go outside and play. I also loved The Life of Riley with William Bendix and Our Miss Brooks. I can see Walter now (a very young Richard Crenna) with his beanie hat on! Jack Benny and Rochester was a favorite and made the entire family break into sticitches!

An older "me" loved Golden Girls and still watch reuns every chance I get. An even older me loves..loves ..loves The Fresh Prince. Carlton cracks me up more so that Will Smith!

I am addicted to Nick at Nite all all the Roseanne reruns. The newer sitcoms don't seem as funny to me. Maybe it is because I have seen so many that the plots have all been written before.

The best? They all are/were!

morty

morty

(Well, You Know....)

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 2,464 posts
QUOTE(salter-path @ Mar 13 2006, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The very first tv show I remember laughing so hard I cried was at Amos and Andy. Kingfish was the funniest man I had ever seen.

That's interesting. I recently bought the entire series of "Amos 'n' Andy" on DVD and was disappointed. I haven’t even watched them all because I lost interest. I’ll have to get them out and watch a few more. I wasn’t that big a fan of the radio show either. There was one line where Andy and Kingfish are checking the books of their cab company. Kingfish says, “Last month the business lost less money than any other month.” Andy: “That’s because last month was February, and February has the fewest days in it.” Kingfish: “If we could find a month with few enough days, we might make a profit.”

Now Jack Benny, there was one of the funniest shows on radio and TV. I listen to the Jack Benny radio shows almost every day (I’ve got about 600 of them). Rochester could really steal the show. They did a lot of shows on military bases, and when they’d introduce Rochester Van Jones, the crowd would go nuts.

I have speakers in every room, and listen to my old time radio in every room. There was this guy who’s black that used to work for me and he would ask me if I thought it was proper to play shows with stereotypical black people. ?? He could never pin-point a racist remark, but would ask about a line every so often. There was one I remember, Jack wanted to brush up on his boxing and recruited Rochester as his sparring partner. Jack was asked how he did against Rochester, “I can still mix it up, I gave Rochester a black eye.” Rochester: “Well that’s what you claim, but you’ll have to peel me to prove it.”

I’ve got the few Jack Benny DVDs that are out. They always make a big deal out of guest stars, and I think the best moments just came from Jack with the regular cast members.

Jack still holds up well, but I’ve learned that many should stay pleasant memories. I’ve want to update my Wish List pages for quite some time. I’ve asked for a lot of shows that I have since watched and are not very good. Maybe that’s another thread.

Guest_Shockalot_*

Guest_Shockalot_*
  • Guests
This is agonising because I can never think of even ten without thinking of another ten to add or replace with later on.
I agree strongly with Morty about MASH as being wonderful for its first three seasons in particular but not so much for the remaining ones (although many good moments too).
For me, MASH 'jumped the shark' somewhere in the middle and I cant even stand to look at the last few seasons.

All in the Family has to be right up there as an all time best and I still howl at the classic Sammy Davis Jr episode, which they say has the longest sustained laugh in Sitcoms .. and it wasnt 'milked' either but OConnor and Davis actually had to interupt the roaring crowd after what seems like minutes of hysteria just to keep the show going.

Im also a huge fan of the Olde Time Radio comedies and years ago I listened to a classic which featured 'Gracey' from Burns and Gracey and some other bigger names... (remember these were live as in LIVE) ....in which the performers went into the most brilliant improvisation, following some botched lines and they had the audience just ROARING.. and when I say roaring, i mean the din from the screaming and hysterical laughter actually overwhelmed the audio and for what is minutes you just hear this howling roar, interjected with the actors trying to speak only to set the audience back to a hysteria that drowned out the show.
Its wierd that I cannot remember any of the actual lines, yet I still can replay just how funny that was and still smile and laugh at the scene.

Anyways, I want to mention The Jeffersons because I did think that was one of the best that has been underrated the most.

nursie

nursie

Live Feed Updater

• Pip
  • 1,493 posts
growing up, after i was old enough to have my 'own' little television in my room ,so that i could finally control what was on instead of dad(news) mama(soap operas) or my brother (star trek,planet of the apes)...we were by then living waaaaaay out in the country with the reception of only 3 channels: NBC,CBS,PBS

from those few choices the comedies i watched over and over and remember loving now were: Alice,Sanford and Son, and the Jeffersons

as an adult, i pretty well have never sat through sitcoms....i did watch and enjoy Night Court,Seinfeld,and started watching a few of Roseanne after it went off the primetime schedule

GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps

• Pip
  • 18,329 posts
Sgt. Bilko my dad's got these VHS - funny stuff!

crappysucks

crappysucks

• Pip
  • 2,610 posts
Seinfeld, Seinfeld, and Seinfeld.

It is the best...

StephenV

StephenV

Night Owl

• LFU
  • 4,822 posts
For me..Married with Children..I still laugh hysterically watching the reruns. Yeah for most it's too crude but hey that's the era I grew up in. Also from the olden days I think Sanford and Son, All in the Family and The Jeffersons are all pretty funny.

mrspopcornsupriz

mrspopcornsupriz

• Pip
  • 695 posts
The sitcoms I use to love watching are:

Growing Pains
Who's the Boss
Family Ties
Roseanne
Home Improvment

kayo

kayo

Heroes/LOST Forum Host

• Pip
  • 4,326 posts
The Simpsons HAS to be included in the top comedies of all time, even though it is a cartoon!

My choices would be:
The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Coach
Bob Newhart (second one)
Mary Tyler Moore
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Arrested Development
The Office
...and I'm leaving the last choice blank because I know I'm forgetting one that I'll think of later!!

crappysucks

crappysucks

• Pip
  • 2,610 posts
It has been said before, and I will say it again...

SEINFELD, SEINFELD, SEINFELD!

'Nuff said!

kayo

kayo

Heroes/LOST Forum Host

• Pip
  • 4,326 posts
QUOTE(crappysucks @ Jun 14 2006, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been said before, and I will say it again...

SEINFELD, SEINFELD, SEINFELD!

'Nuff said!

crappy- what's your favorite Seinfeld episode? I love the soup nazi eppys and the one where Jerry is imagining himself and his penis (with Jerry dressed up as his penis-am I allowed to say that here? rolleyes.gif ) playing chess/checkers is priceless!! I know many say "The Master of My Domain" episode is #1...

Guest_janey_doll_*

Guest_janey_doll_*
  • Guests
Best sitcom of all time.........
Mad About You!! Love it! I am watching the reruns of it now on Nick At Nite.

I also have a question, Does anyone here have the complete series of Party Of Five, commercial free and in great quality, I am wanting to get the complete series as a gift so i would really like them in very good quality, so hopefully someone here has them and will sell them to me.

Thanks

Tarman12

Tarman12

• Pip
  • 1,249 posts
"Seinfeld "was the only one that gave me a good belly laugh every episode.
"Friends", only occasionally.

I totally forgot "Beavis and Butthead"-----rolling on the floor hilarious at times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users