Sign in to follow this  
Twister

Best Comedy of All Time...

I

It's like eating Peanuts....

All of the above (except Buffy - never really watched it for some reason)

I find myself wanting to add .....

Benson

Taxi

WKRP

Barney Miller

Nite Court

Sit-Coms in the past 10 years or so just seem like a lot of 'one liners' strung together to fill up a half hour. I'd rather just tune into the 'oldies'.

The very first tv show I remember laughing so hard I cried was at Amos and Andy. Kingfish was the funniest man I had ever seen. I believe I was maybe 4 or 5, I know I am telling my age here:-). We had a very small Crosley tv that I was mesmerized by. My dad would unplug the tv and insist it was broken to make me go outside and play. I also loved The Life of Riley with William Bendix and Our Miss Brooks. I can see Walter now (a very young Richard Crenna) with his beanie hat on! Jack Benny and Rochester was a favorite and made the entire family break into sticitches!

An older "me" loved Golden Girls and still watch reuns every chance I get. An even older me loves..loves ..loves The Fresh Prince. Carlton cracks me up more so that Will Smith!

I am addicted to Nick at Nite all all the Roseanne reruns. The newer sitcoms don't seem as funny to me. Maybe it is because I have seen so many that the plots have all been written before.

The best? They all are/were!

The very first tv show I remember laughing so hard I cried was at Amos and Andy. Kingfish was the funniest man I had ever seen.

That's interesting. I recently bought the entire series of "Amos 'n' Andy" on DVD and was disappointed. I haven

Guest Shockalot

This is agonising because I can never think of even ten without thinking of another ten to add or replace with later on.

I agree strongly with Morty about MASH as being wonderful for its first three seasons in particular but not so much for the remaining ones (although many good moments too).

For me, MASH 'jumped the shark' somewhere in the middle and I cant even stand to look at the last few seasons.

All in the Family has to be right up there as an all time best and I still howl at the classic Sammy Davis Jr episode, which they say has the longest sustained laugh in Sitcoms .. and it wasnt 'milked' either but OConnor and Davis actually had to interupt the roaring crowd after what seems like minutes of hysteria just to keep the show going.

Im also a huge fan of the Olde Time Radio comedies and years ago I listened to a classic which featured 'Gracey' from Burns and Gracey and some other bigger names... (remember these were live as in LIVE) ....in which the performers went into the most brilliant improvisation, following some botched lines and they had the audience just ROARING.. and when I say roaring, i mean the din from the screaming and hysterical laughter actually overwhelmed the audio and for what is minutes you just hear this howling roar, interjected with the actors trying to speak only to set the audience back to a hysteria that drowned out the show.

Its wierd that I cannot remember any of the actual lines, yet I still can replay just how funny that was and still smile and laugh at the scene.

Anyways, I want to mention The Jeffersons because I did think that was one of the best that has been underrated the most.

growing up, after i was old enough to have my 'own' little television in my room ,so that i could finally control what was on instead of dad(news) mama(soap operas) or my brother (star trek,planet of the apes)...we were by then living waaaaaay out in the country with the reception of only 3 channels: NBC,CBS,PBS

from those few choices the comedies i watched over and over and remember loving now were: Alice,Sanford and Son, and the Jeffersons

as an adult, i pretty well have never sat through sitcoms....i did watch and enjoy Night Court,Seinfeld,and started watching a few of Roseanne after it went off the primetime schedule

For me..Married with Children..I still laugh hysterically watching the reruns. Yeah for most it's too crude but hey that's the era I grew up in. Also from the olden days I think Sanford and Son, All in the Family and The Jeffersons are all pretty funny.

The sitcoms I use to love watching are:

Growing Pains

Who's the Boss

Family Ties

Roseanne

Home Improvment

The Simpsons HAS to be included in the top comedies of all time, even though it is a cartoon!

My choices would be:

The Simpsons

Seinfeld

Coach

Bob Newhart (second one)

Mary Tyler Moore

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Arrested Development

The Office

...and I'm leaving the last choice blank because I know I'm forgetting one that I'll think of later!!

It has been said before, and I will say it again...

SEINFELD, SEINFELD, SEINFELD!

'Nuff said!

It has been said before, and I will say it again...

SEINFELD, SEINFELD, SEINFELD!

'Nuff said!

crappy- what's your favorite Seinfeld episode? I love the soup nazi eppys and the one where Jerry is imagining himself and his penis (with Jerry dressed up as his penis-am I allowed to say that here? :rolleyes: ) playing chess/checkers is priceless!! I know many say "The Master of My Domain" episode is #1...

Guest janey_doll

Best sitcom of all time.........

Mad About You!! Love it! I am watching the reruns of it now on Nick At Nite.

I also have a question, Does anyone here have the complete series of Party Of Five, commercial free and in great quality, I am wanting to get the complete series as a gift so i would really like them in very good quality, so hopefully someone here has them and will sell them to me.

Thanks

"Seinfeld "was the only one that gave me a good belly laugh every episode.

"Friends", only occasionally.

I totally forgot "Beavis and Butthead"-----rolling on the floor hilarious at times.

Of course Seinfeld. Nothing makes me laugh outloud like that show.

But for oldtime classic, only one person in here mentioned my favorite: Barney Miller. The hash brownies episode, inparticular, stands out. "Barney, Barney, Barney, is your mother from Killarney?"

I like the ones mentioned in this thread but here are few more:

Coach

Home Improvement

The Love Boat

Ellen

Mama's Family

I Dream Of Jeannie

Some old ones.....I think from the 70's....I have them on tape

All in The Family

Mash

Cheers

And more recently, Arrested Development---one of the funniest ever, for some reason didn't survive.

Hmmmm....just wondering about something: Was Arrested Development a Canadian show...or has anyone else heard of it?

I saw one of my favorites mentioned once -- WKRP in Cincinnati. Another classic is Hogan's Heroes. I can never get sick of that one!

Newhart! (The one in vermont with Julia Duffy)

That show always makes me laugh just as much Sienfeld and Rossanne

Black Adder, my all time fave!

Red Dwarf

Arrested Development

News Radio

Simpsons

And I really love Family Guy (guilty pleasure)

I enjoy sarcasm, toilet jokes and just plain strange thinking. LOL

I enjoy sarcasm, toilet jokes and just plain strange thinking. LOL

Sorry, "sarcasm" is not allowed here, only trashing and bashing, and only if you are an insider with a high post count. Prefered is a few thousand posts consisting of 7 words or less, or a single emoticon. It's not what you say that counts, it's how many meaningless posts you can rack up without ever saying Jack. In other words, politics. Clearly I don't practice what I preach because I lost all the insiders by the 8th word of this post :)

I love this show soooo much! " The Red Green Show"......I use to watch it on PBS when I lived in Nebraska...another show I watched while in Nebraska was "Last of the Summer Wine" another was "To the Manor Born". These three shows are at the top of my list! :deal2:

When I was a teenager, I loved Laugh-In! and I loved Madd magazines.