You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twister

Best Comedy of All Time...

62 posts in this topic

Has to be Fawlty Towers.

I am a HUGE fan of this British comedy. I have the complete set of DVDs and the script book. It doesn't matter how many times I watch it, I still fall over laughing each time.

Seinfeld :D:D:D:D

Its a funny thing that I am a big fan of Cleese from Monty Python and an even bigger fan of 'Britcoms' especially from that Era.

Yet..

I just dont appreciate Fawlty Towers like most people it seems.

I know its especially popular in British Columbia and Im not saying a bad word about it either.

There are genuine classic moments and an episode or two that won me over but... meh.. it just doesnt do it for me like say, Yes, Minister, Blackadder, Are you being Served or even the Carry On Gang.

(not to say those are all side by side comparisons either)

I dunno.. it seemed liked the entire hook is that its meant to be a proper public presentation and service ... but here is the Manic and angry Cleese the one putting it together.

Well ok.

But I find him too angry and then cruel to his subordinates.

But yea.. it was definately a classic and it was very well done.

Its a funny thing that I am a big fan of Cleese from Monty Python and an even bigger fan of 'Britcoms' especially from that Era.

Yet..

I just dont appreciate Fawlty Towers like most people it seems.

I have to agree here. Yes Fawlty Towers is a classic and I guess that in it's time it was probably one of the best for some.

But I have tried over the years and somehow I don't seem to see what most see in it either.

I generally love most other "Britcoms".

Too many to list for me ... but I still love Lucy ... and yes, Are You Being Served?

There is also a really funny British comedy that ran on our gay network here called Gimme, Gimme, Gimme ... it was hilarious!

abso-friggin-lutely hilarious!!!!!

No doubt!

SOAP was the 'original' Arrested Development (well im sure its a version of something too) but simply hilarious from beginning to end.

I dont think there was a single unfunny character in the whole bunch.

Not to mention way ahead of its time ... probably would not even air in primetime by todays standards either.

If SOAP is available on DVD (and i think it only ran two seasons??) then I am going to amazon.ca tonight to see if I can get a copy.

Brilliant stuff.

SOAP!!! Anybody know if this is available on DVD?

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman aired a year earlier. Can't recall if Soap spun off of this one.

Anybody remember the really cute cop on that one ?

#1 Seinfeld

#2 All In the Family

#3 Mary Tyler Moore Show

#4 SOAP

#5 Will and Grace

My personal top five. I think Seinfeld was the best comedy - EVER!

All in the Family broke the mold it changed sit coms forever

SOAP was highly under rated :D

Yes it was. As someone mentioned above it probably wouldn't even make it past the censors today. :D

As far as Brit comedy....Absolutely Fabulous was really really funny to me. Soap was really funny also. But nothing can beat the SMURFS :unsure: Right?

As far as Brit comedy....Absolutely Fabulous was really really funny to me. Soap was really funny also. But nothing can beat the SMURFS :unsure: Right?

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! Sweetie dahling, how could I have forgotten it?? LOVED THAT SHOW! :D

Hmm... Best comedy of all time...

All the arguing in the Big Brother section of this forum over the summer. *nods*

Hmm... Best comedy of all time...

All the arguing in the Big Brother section of this forum over the summer. *nods*

It was amusing, wasn't it? :lol:

It was amusing, wasn't it? :lol:

Having had a glance at the Big Brother forum for the first time in a few weeks earlier... apparently it still is. heh

Friends, Seinfeld and I love Lucy

Each of those were "classics" for their times :):):):):)