Sign in to follow this  
Jem

'Medium'

'Medium' Builds to a Cliffhanger

By John Crook

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - An old friend and colleague emerges to help psychic Allison Dubois pursue a serial killer as NBC's "Medium" unveils its first season finale Monday, May 23.

As the story opens, Allison (Patricia Arquette) and her Arizona law-enforcement colleagues are trying to get a handle on murders committed by the Phoenix Phantom, as the local press has dubbed this killer with a lethal preference for redheads.

Before long, she is joined on the case by Capt. Kenneth Push (Arliss Howard, reprising his guest role), the Texas Ranger Allison assisted in the opening episode of the series. As fans will remember, the skeptical Push treated Allison and her gifts with thinly veiled contempt on their first meeting, although she swiftly earned his respect.

Capt. Push and Allison note similarities between the Phoenix killings and a rash of murders a couple of years earlier in South Texas. As they continue their investigation, their warm, but platonic, regard for each other is rekindled, which makes the cliffhanger surprise ending even more startling. "I think it's that they both have a little pushy streak in them," Arquette says on the strong connection between Allison and Push. "There's a similarity between them in that respect, and in terms of crime, I don't think they're willing to give up looking for something and figuring things out. They're both kind of tenacious. And she really respects him."

Series creator Glenn Gordon Caron says Howard's return as Capt. Push wasn't something that had been planned all along as part of some grand dramatic scheme for the show. "When I wrote the pilot, I didn't even know there would be a finale," Caron says with a chuckle. "When I wrote the pilot, I was hoping we would get the go-ahead to film the pilot. That's as much optimism as I indulge in when I am writing something. I certainly didn't foresee bringing back Capt. Push."

But then, Caron admits, a surprising amount of serendipity went into the breakout success of "Medium," the lone new NBC drama series to earn a renewal for next season.

In hindsight, Caron had been skeptical about the show's prospects, and he credits his girlfriend with encouraging him to pursue it.

He began to see potential after meeting and talking with the real Allison Dubois, who gave Caron insight into the startling contradictions her daily life entails. "This woman has a kind of radio in her head that is permanently tuned to death, and she's a mom with three kids," Caron says. "She has a husband who would seem to be her antithesis, a scientist whose religion is the physical facts of the world. "That's what appealed to me. How do you reconcile all that? You get up in the morning, pour a bowl of Cheerios, you make sure the kids have done their homework and oh, by the way, there are three dead people in the kitchen."

On reading the half-finished pilot script, Caron's girlfriend had yet another lucky epiphany: "Wow, this is Patricia Arquette."

"Patricia was the only person we gave it to, and a couple of days later, we got a call saying she was interested," Caron recalls. "A lot of serendipity, like I said."

"I loved the writing, that it's 'more real than not,'" Arquette says of her decision to sign on for her first TV series. "I love that Allison is a working mom and has to deal with the real-life demands of her life and her kids. I liked the spin that Glenn had taken, both on the character and the idea of how would life be if you had this psychic ability, how complicated your life would be. "The first thing I thought was, well, it could be fun in just a spooky way, but Glenn had written so many more levels in there, and that was exciting to play."

Exciting, but exhausting, too, as Arquette quickly learned. "Actually, everyone said, `You know that's the hardest job in show business,' because even though we have a big cast, it's not actually an ensemble show where they focus on a different group of people for a little while," the actress says. "What helps is that I have done a lot of low-budget independent movies, so I'm used to the grind where we have to do everything fast. "But I do love all the people that I work with and I love my job and I'm excited when I read a new script, to see where it goes. So I'm definitely not complaining!"

Nor is Caron, who has started breaking story ideas for season two and says he couldn't be happier with the reception NBC has given to "Medium."

"I think we were the first show picked up for 2005-06, and that was only after four airings, which I believe was something of a historic first," he says. "I would really be a needy guy if I told you I didn't feel valued. That's an extraordinary vote of confidence. I've always wanted to be at NBC, since that was the one network I had never really spent any time at, and they've been great to us."

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Medium

Dammit, I absolutely hate "to-be-continueds." I can barely wait a week, mind you an entire summer to find out if Captain Push buys the farm after cutting the wires to his heart monitor. Is he really that sure if he dies (again, but this time for good) that he'll come to Alison in another dream and help her solve the crimes of the Phoenix Phantom? (Talk about altruistic. He might've blown the case the first time around, but who would give up their life to catch a killer?) Meanwhile, poor, long suffering Joe. His wife's vocation has finally taken its toll. Not only is he stuck taking care of three kids while his wife is sleeping off a night filled with phone calls, strange visits and bizarre visions, he's feeling awfully ignored and neglected when she is around. Do you blame him for getting blitzed on wine (that he bought for her) and passing out on the couch? I'm not sure how much more tolerance he has for this. Then again, he's got a few months off to get over it. Joe's got such a big heart, we know he will.

For anyone like me lol lol who missed some of the eps NBC will be running the series from the start on Monday June 6th @ 1000 PM :D:D

such a good premire. i love this show. Wasnt a mid season replacement last year??? Go patricia Arquette!!! Get that emmy!

I missed the last 15 minutes of last nights episode. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what happened? I saw her go to the church and she felt like the preist was talking to the killer during mass, then I fell asleep. That seems to always happen to me during these 10pm shows, I really need to get a tivo.

After the church, the family was driving home and Mom and Dade were talking about her not wanting to fly and the plane crashing and the little girl started to cry and say she didnt want to be on a plane that crashed....Mom got a call and the man the priest was talking to committed suicide. The family was getting ready to go to the airport when the little girl wouldn't come out of her room and Dad went in to get her. The girl said she didnt want him getting burnt up in the crash and stuck in a tree...Dad decided to drive.

Show the familiy in a hotel room with the baby crying and both saying she has a fever and needs meds...dont know if they made it to the wedding or not. Cut away and we see mom driving the car down the country road again and it quitting...she gets out and walks to the barn (we think its a dream again) and her cell phone rings, While she is talking to hubby the train set up on the table beside her starts to shake...she moves it and finds the woman.

The End

Did I miss anything?

Reuters100x26.jpg

Rod Serling Introduces 3D 'Medium' Episode

serling3.jpg

Rod Serling returns from 'The Twilight

Zone' to visit NBC's 'Medium.'

Reaching beyond the grave, and "The Twilight Zone," to hype one of its hits for this month's ratings "sweep," NBC has enlisted the late Rod Serling to introduce a 3D episode of its supernatural drama "Medium." The Wednesday, November 21 broadcast of "Medium," starring Patricia Arquette as a psychic crime solver, will feature several spooky three-dimensional effects.

The network is distributing millions of 3D glasses, most of them through TV Guide magazine, ahead of the episode. The most novel element of the broadcast for those viewers without glasses, perhaps, will be the 45-second opening sequence in which Sterling is "reanimated" in an altered film clip taken from "The Twilight Zone," the often-creepy sci-fi anthology he hosted on CBS during the 1960s.

"He basically explains to people about the glasses, when to put them on, and reassures people who don't have them that they'll be able to enjoy the episode," executive producer Glenn Gordon Caron said Wednesday, November 21. About two-thirds into the sequence, Serling will appear in 3D.

medium_duo.jpg

Patricia Arquette and Miguel Sandoval in 'Medium.'

Caron said the black-and-white clip of the master of irony is being incorporated into next week's "Medium" courtesy of Serling's estate and his wife, Carol. The playwright and producer died in 1975 at age 50. "It's very flattering to be allowed to do this, to use his image and take advantage of the extraordinary legacy that he has," Caron said.

"Still Life" is the title of this special 3D "Medium." According to Caron, the episode was conceived, in part, as a device to promote interest in the show during the November "sweep," when networks go all-out to give the ratings of local affiliates a boost. Not that the highly praised show needs much help in the ratings but it could help a sagging NBC line-up.

"Medium," which debuted last season, is one of the few bright spots on NBC's schedule, as the network seeks to reverse a ratings slump. NBC has consistently been losing their grip in the ratings game. However, the same can't be said for "Medium." The show has averaged more than 12 million viewers a week so far this season, ranking in the top 20 among all scripted series in prime time.

medium_bed.jpg

Patricia Arquette and Jake Weber in 'Medium.'

The sci-fi drama is based on the experiences of real-life forensic psychic Allison DuBois, portrayed by Arquette, who helps police solve crimes through her ability to commune with the dead. "Medium" is also a domestic drama about Allison coming to grips with her abilities on the home front with her engineer husband, Joe, played by Jake Weber, and their young children.

In next week's episode, disturbing three-dimensional visions emerging from the work of a popular artist lead Allison to believe the painter may have a deadly secret. Caron said the 3D sequences include a butcher's cleaver being thrown across a kitchen and a woman lying in the woods, who reaches her hand out from under a tarp as she's about to be buried alive.

"Medium" is not the first TV show to dabble in 3D, though the effect is more common in movies. Other TV series to experiment with the effect in recent years have been "The Drew Carey Show" and "3rd Rock from the Sun."

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

What Are Medium's Hottest 3-D Tricks?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Medium in 3-D: Grab your glasses!

Tonight at 10 pm/ET, NBC's Medium enters a new dimension

Hope everyone remembered to get your 3-D glasses for tonights show! B)

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Medium

I'm not the biggest 3-D fan in the world, in fact it tends to make me a bit dizzy and nauseous, but I do love when they take old footage and blend it with new stuff. So seeing Rod Serling brought to life was pretty cool. And the 3-D wasn't that bad, it was kinda cool with the paintings though it seemed a bit dark on my screen. Just wish that the one scene with the hand pushing out of the painting through the brown paper wrapping had been in 3-D. That was damned creepy and if it had come popping of the screen it woulda been really cool. But actually the story was really compelling tonight with the visions of the woman who was literally stabbed in the back while her child was watching. My only problem was that I so knew that the murderer was John Shea the second I saw him. Sorry, dude but once you've played Lex Luthor, I'm immediately suspicious of your motives on any show. He's forevermore guilty until proven innocent. But how it all came together with the boy not really being his son and that he killed his real kid because he had AIDS was very different and quite engaging. Now that is a sweeps worthy storyline. And on the home front Allison chats with her hubby's dead father in law about his business opportunity. And realizes that while he was a bit of a dud as a dad while he was still alive and kicking, he's actually trying to do right by his only son post-mortem. Guess he was right to "let" his son marry Allison in the first place, I mean otherwise how would he get his messages to him? Not every wife has these handy dandy psychic powers. AC

Edited by Dade

I'm with the watercooler guy when it comes to the 3-D shows... not a fan at all. But, I love this show so I thought I'd give it another shot. Ugh, that's all I have to say about that.

Last nights storyline was really good even if I figured most of it out before it happened on the show but, it's all good... I usually do because of my psycic abilities... :P

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

12:00 AM, 22-NOVEMBER-05

Lifetime Pays Large For Medium

Lifetime has agreed to pay a record $1.35 million per episode for rights to reruns of Paramount TV's Medium, which currently airs new episodes on NBC, Variety reported.

The total dollar figure could theoretically rise to $300 million if NBC keeps renewing Medium through the 2014-'15 season; the number of episodes is capped at 10 years, which would yield about 220 hours, the trade paper reported.

Key to Lifetime's interest in Medium is the content, the trade paper reported. The character played by Patricia Arquette, who won the 2005 Emmy, has depth and complexity both as a mother and as someone who works in a proactive job that's sometimes very dangerous, and the supernatural elements add appeal.

NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM

................................................................................

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

MEDIUM'S LARGE DEAL: Lifetime has agreed to pay $1.35 million an episode

Guest ranster627

I am so happy I don't get Lifetime ... then again, my taped episodes do cure insomnia, wonder if the FDA has licensed this show yet?

LOVE the show . . . HATED the 3D! My glasses came in my TV Guide but either I had defective 3D glasses or the effects weren't all that impressive. I was hoping the 3D would be fun but I found it more on the annoying side because I was working so hard to get the full effect of the 3D that it drew my attention away from the storyline.

Personally, I think Lifetime and "Medium" is a good fit but I was thinking that TNT would get it first because it seems to fit into their "Drama in the Daytime" theme with shows like "Law & Order," "ER" and "Judging Amy."

Guest ranster627

TNT was too smart to take this poorly done show ... but I do respect your right to like it ...

My opinion of the 3D thing is that when a show resorts to gimmicks, it is a sign they are failing ... I think they are bailing water out of their quickly sinking ship!

I couldnt find my 3D glasses but it was probably a good thing since I get sick with stuff like that.

I had it figured out after the body came back as being buried when the boy was a baby...however the baby switch kept me guessing for a bit long.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: Like a lot of people, I was surprised that Medium's Patricia Arquette pulled out an Emmy-night victory, and there seemed to be backlash that the surprise nominee could also be a surprise winner. I admit, I was one of those people, but lately I have reconsidered. Patricia Arquette's quiet and subtle handling of her character is excellent and a welcome change from other actors who seem to always be trying too hard to garner Emmy attention. Plus, she is one of the most realistic mothers on television (down to her wardrobe). Do you agree with me that Arquette deserves praise for her portrayal?

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE....DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, MEDIUM

Episode Detail: Medium: Method to His Madness

Airing: NBC Monday, January 02, 10:00 PM

• When Allison becomes overly consumed with finding a murderer who uses bodies as human canvases for his macabre

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Medium

So creepy to watch Patricia Arquette when she's embodying the bad guys in her psychic visions or dreams. Her smoking, drinking hard liquor for breakfast and appearing like this "artist" serial killer was just bizarre, but shows off a little more of her Emmy-winning range. I did love that Joe

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE....DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Oh, Brother! Medium Casts Arquette Kin

by Craig Tomashoff

060109insider1.jpg

Patricia and (inset) Richmond Arquette

It's been a while since Medium (Mondays at 10 pm/ET on NBC) star Patricia Arquette worked with her older brother, Richmond

Molly Ringwald to Guest Star on 'Medium'

By The Associated Press

The "Medium" message: Molly Ringwald is coming back to TV for the first time in four years for a guest appearance on the supernatural drama. The former Brat-Packer and teen-film queen

I am a late commer to this show, but I really like it. Reminds me a lot of Cagney and Lacey, a well written, well acted show I liked a lot back in the 80s.

This is an excellent show. I'm more impressed with this show the more I watch it. On par with some of my all time favorite chick-flick dramas, such as My so-called life, Thrity-something, Cagney and Lacey, and Once and Again. Knowing that everyone on this board disagrees with me 98% of the time, everyone here most likely thinks this show sucks.

Sofia Vassilieva Ariel is a young Hayley Mills and\or Evan Rachel Wood, cute as a button and talented. :)

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Grammer Channels Death on 'Medium'

'Frasier' star guesting on series he produces

By Rick Porter

May 8 2006

23315015.jpg

Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Arquette on 'Medium'

LOS ANGELES -- Aside from erudite "Simpsons" sociopath Sideshow Bob, Kelsey Grammer hasn't played a whole lot of bad men in his career. And he could argue that his next character, the angel of death on NBC's "Medium," isn't such a terrible guy either.

"Of course he's still an angel," Grammer notes. "But he carries a lot of baggage."

Grammer, who's also an executive producer of "Medium," makes a sweeps-worthy guest appearance on the show Monday, playing a well-dressed (in a black suit) and well-spoken Death who haunts psychic Allison DuBois (Patricia Arquette). The character is hardly someone you'd want to meet, but Grammer does describe him as "charming."

"I'm playing two characters, really. The angel of death is kind of channeling himself through this [other] character at one point, and I think that's probably as much of the story as I can tell you," says Grammer, who plays Beast in the feature film "X-Men: The Last Stand," out later this month. "The beauty of it is to keep him charming, quiet, well-mannered, civil, with sort of a wry sense of humor. I think that begins to be a little bit more perilous, because you know he carries a really big stick."

Grammer's comedic chops are well-established; he did, after all, win four Emmys playing the title character on "Frasier." And Arquette admits to having trouble keeping a straight face during some of the scenes she shared with him on "Medium." But she was also impressed with his ability to get under Death's skin.

"What was exciting about Kelsey is, obviously he's a wonderful comedic actor, and we've all seen that," Arquette says. "But he really has the ability to play very serious, [do] really deep work of a serious nature. There were a lot of interesting things -- pain, sadness, anger -- fascinating qualities that I wasn't really used to seeing in him. It was fun to watch."

Playing Death became a fun challenge, Grammer says, as he tried to figure out what would make such a being tick. What he came up with was a man who was a little bit bored with his work.

"It's been a long, hard road, but because he's had so much experience at it, he's fallen into -- this is actor's language -- requisite disrespect for his own job. It comes with ease, he doesn't prepare. He jus has this seamless, unconscious ability to achieve his goals without obsessing about them."

That's not the case with his own work, Grammer says. He does allow, though, that his appearance on "Medium" is not a warmup for another long run on television.

"I worked for 20 years in front of the camera. There's a big part of me that kind of wants to step away from it for a while," he says. "I have a new family [he and wife Camille have two young children]. I have a lot of other things going on in my life that I really want to devote myself to. And frankly, a TV schedule sometimes is prohibitive for the lifestyle I want to live now. It really is more about lifestyle."