Pope John Paul II

Jem

Guest ranster627

Wow ... thanks to all three of you ... salter, GaYToR, and Spooky (in no particular order) ... this has been stimulating reading ...

By the way Spooky, you should e-mail CNN and correct them on the "greats" ... they keep saying two, and keep forgetting Nicholas ...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone has posted about The Room of Tears.

If you've been watching.... I'm sure you've heard it mentioned.

Here's a bit I took out of

http://www.newsletters.newsweek.msnbc.com/...7357490/page/2/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last thing that I think is fascinating is that once the pope is elected and his name has been revealed to the College of Cardinals assembled in the Sistine Chapel, he goes to what is called the

Vatican: John Paul II Was Not Embalmed

By MARTA FALCONI, Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY - Departing from tradition, Pope John Paul II was not embalmed, only "prepared" for viewing by hundreds of thousands of mourners, the Vatican said Tuesday.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls did not elaborate on the procedure, but an embalmer in Rome said it appeared John Paul's remains were only touched up with cosmetics. Massimo Signoracci, whose family embalmed three other popes, said he could not be certain what had been done without examining the body. Signoracci said even a light embalming is necessary for a body that is exposed for several days.

John Paul died on Saturday, and his remains were put on public view late Monday on an open platform in St. Peter's Basilica. He will be buried Friday. Historically, organs were removed to make embalming more durable. Relics of 22 popes

Big Three Networks Go Live with Pope's Funeral

By Paul J. Gough

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - The Big Three broadcast networks will go all out to cover the funeral of Pope John Paul II on Friday, even though the bulk of the telecast will occur when most of America is still asleep.

The funeral will begin at 4 a.m. ET/1 a.m. PT from Vatican City. Many of the broadcast networks' stars will be there, including ABC's Charles Gibson and CBS' Harry Smith and John Roberts. NBC's Brian Williams will be the only one of the Big Three anchors to be on hand, with Peter Jennings' illness announced Tuesday.

Marcy McGinnis, senior vice president for news at CBS News, said the early start would not affect the network's funeral coverage. "We will produce it as if it was happening at any other time," McGinnis said Tuesday. "It's one of those events that isn't about ratings. It's history," said Mark Lukasiewicz, executive producer of NBC News specials. "This is a remarkable event. It's a funeral Mass for someone who has had an incredibly deep impact on the world, both politically and spiritually. I suspect a lot of people will watch, but that's not at the forefront of my mind."

Bells, White Smoke Will Announce New Pope

By VICTOR L. SIMPSON, Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY - Responding to Pope John Paul II's request, the Vatican will depart from centuries-old tradition by ringing bells in addition to sending up white smoke to signal the election of his successor.

Before he died Saturday at age 84, John Paul also made his wish known "to be buried in the ground" and not placed in an above-ground tomb, Archbishop Piero Marini said Tuesday. He will buried in the tomb left vacant after the remains of Pope John XXIII were exhumed from the cramped grotto under St. Peter's Basilica in 2001 and moved to the main floor following his beatification.

John Paul will be laid to rest with a white silk veil on his face, a rosary in his hands and his body clad in liturgical vestments and the white miter. Following the centuries-old custom for burying popes, his body will be placed inside three coffins

Guest ranster627

REMINDER NOTICE:

The Pope's funeral will be carried on CBC 3:30 am Friday ...

CNN will have full live coverage ...

It has also been reported that all 3 major networks will have coverage (live) as well! It is expected to draw the largest audience in TV History!

Guest ranster627
Here's a bit of interesting news.  I work for the government.  I get off work early on Friday to be able to watch the funeral.

But it will be over by then?

It is on at 3:30 in the morning ... EST

Guest ranster627
Apparently its being "replayed" in the afternoon?

Yup, that's true ... not for me though ... I will be there "live" ... in front of my TV that is! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I have heard that the surprisingly large pilgrimage to Rome has created a few problems. There is absolutely no more room. People are crowding the streets waiting for hours - some for days to have the last moment with the Pope to say their goodbyes. The main issues seem to be that they've run out of accomodations, and people waiting in the line that extends for close to a mile at times, don't have the necessary "amenities" no washrooms.

Never before has Rome seen a spontaneous pilgrimage of this size.

Guest GaYToR

Yes, 4:am EST s 10:AM Rome time. At least we don't have to wait and pretend we are watching it live like we have to do with the Olympics. When is the rest of the world going to realize that everything revolves around North America and adjust their schedules accordingly?

But I will definitely be up to watch the whole thing, even if I do have a rehersal at 10 am Friday AM. If Charles and Camilla can make a sacrifice, so can I.

:roll: @ myself

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure I could handle watching the whole thing. Its going to be a requiem isn't it? That's going to take a very long time -- and will be in Latin and Italian.

Guest ranster627

For me it is a necessity ... I was there for Charles and Diana, I was there with CBC overnight for "live coverage" of the Olympics ...

In for a penny, in for a pound!

Yes GaYToR, it is at 4:00AM, but the coverage will start half an hour earlier ... and will essentially be a guide to what is yet to come.

Guest GaYToR

Thanks Ranster. I always think in Central Time. I'll never convert. the 30 minute lead in makes perfect sense. Networks will want to show dignataries arriving, etc. But yes, like you I will be there for the whole thing. And yes Spooky it will be a Requiem Mass. I know I won't understand any of it, but like reading a magazine, I'll just look at the pictures

Guest GaYToR

NOOO 4 AM Eastern. Starting at 3:30 or if on CNN probably all night.

Glad I was able to confuse you spooky. Always nice to have company. :P

Guest GaYToR

YAY!!! SPOOKY!!!!!! Now that makes sense why you get the day off. you are halfway back to Rome. So it will be morning for you. Heck. Where is the International Date Line. lt may have been yesterday for you.

Guest Anonymous

LOL -- Phew -- yes I thought I had it right to begin with but I was so confuddled there I didn't know if I was in today or tomorrow. lol

Guest GaYToR

Spooky. guess what. I confused us again. 4 am Eastern time will be Midnight Thursday going into Friday morning for you. At least I think.

I suggest Morty puts up a set of those international time zone clocks so we all know where we are.

Guest ranster627
Just checked the tv times here -- yes it starts at 1 am on Friday morning.  Going back to the idea of keeping the tv on and catching it in my sleep.

Finally :wink:

I was going to suggest checking your local listings ... looks like your employers are confused too if they are giving time off!!! (lucky you) :wink:

Guest ranster627

GENERAL INFORMATIONAL UPDATE:

Although the full text is still being analyzed, here are some details from the Will of the Pope:

Looks like we will never know the name of the Cardinal held in the Pope's heart! There was no mention in the Will (or any other writings), and the Vatican confirmed that no mention was made on his deathbed. It's my feeling that this Cardinal would face persecution if it was known and therefore the Pope chose not to reveal the name.

The Pope left it to the discretion of the Cardinals regarding a possible burial in Poland, stating no preferences. The Cardinals have determined that He will be buried at St. Peter's, below ground with a white silk veil to be placed over his face before internment.

The Pope has requested that his Personal Papers be burned.

It is estimated that up to 5 million people will have passed through Rome to remember the Pope. The Mayor of the city has asked citizens to open their homes to the Pilgrims as there is no more accomodation available.

At one point on Wednesday, it was estimated that 1 MILLION people were in line to view the Pope.

EST TV Coverage of the funeral of His Holiness Pope John Paul II:

CNN - begins at 3:30 am Friday

CBC - begins at 3:00 am Friday

Somer local stations will also carry it, particularly in Canada, so please check your local listings.

Guest Anonymous

I'm wondering about that now -- but since it starts at 1 am - perhaps they're giving the option for people to watch and not fall asleep on the job. Its an option -- not a formal day off. It'll be interesting to see how many people come in on Friday. Then again, I'm not sure I'll be here.

Network Coverage Plans for Pope's Funeral

NEW YORK (AP) -- TV network coverage plans for Pope John Paul II's scheduled funeral in Rome on Friday. All times EDT.

ABC: 3:30 a.m., Charles Gibson, anchor.

CBS: 4 a.m., Harry Smith and John Roberts, anchors.

NBC: 3:50 a.m., Brian Williams and Katie Couric, anchors.

CNN: 3 a.m., Anderson Cooper, Christiane Amanpour and Bill Hemmer, with Soledad O'Brien in New York, anchors.

Fox News Channel: 3 a.m., Shepard Smith and Martha MacCallum, anchors.

MSNBC: 4 a.m., Chris Matthews, Chris Jansing, anchors.

Guest ranster627

I agree Suds, I hope I can do it too.

I have no understanding of latin whatsoever, but hope the coverage by the broadcasters will guide me through it ...