Sign in to follow this  
chatterbox

Helpful Competitors

There were probably different rules for each detour. IF the other teams would have picked that Task and had the brains to get someone to help they could have

again NWA I dont know what the rules are -- I suspect other teams are considered ineligible, whereas locals are considered a resource, which is why U&J/M&G could ask where to find the boats in the first place -- but the point is even if WE dont know the rules, the teams do and the teams all have the same rule. A rule is only unfair if it is inconsistently applied. In any competitive situation, knowing the rules is certainly an advantage, and if Romber uses the things they are allowed to use more effectively than the other teams then I say BOO HOO to the others.

Guest ranster627

As a game show, I thought it was the law that the complete rules had to be disclosed somewhere?

Ranster, I am sure all of that goes through strict standards after what happened on the 64K Question. I think they have to lay out everything ahead of time, what legs will be NEL, what legs have prizes and what the prizes will be, where the yields will be etc. And I am sure that the instructions are specific but they edit it out so its not so boring!!

Guest cappy
I think its just good strategy.

Guest Luvtoteach
:D Hi, I am new to this forum, I have read the message boards since the beginning of the season and have watched TAR for the last three seasons. It seems to me that everyone gets help with directions, making sure that their cab drivers know where they are going. Teams in the past have asked people to drive them to the destination and they will follow in the cars they are driving. Haven't teams in the past even had police officers help them to their destinations? Romber aren't the only ones to take advantage of local help, they just seem to get reemed for it more than others. Without help from locals people would never make it to the pit stop. Not everywhere they go is going to be listed on a map or found easily. So using local help just seems smart and the other things that they have done are strategic.

my problem with them is not that they get help from other people....hey if they are smart enough to enlist the help and people give it cool.

what i dont like about them is when they do things to purposly-sp? block other teams....like what i have posted above i think that is not cool.

This is a race i know but i think its poor sportsmanship.

i understand when they didnt stop when the boys got into a wreck

i can understand if you find an earlier flight and not tell the other teams

i dont like it when they

tell locals not to help other team members

steal onother teams cab

try to force their way into another teams cab

tell the travel agent not to help the other teams

tell other teams false information to try to fake them out

pay a bus driver not to open a door

you may call it strategy but i think its mean spirited and if thats the only way romber can get ahead then i think it doesnt say much for them as you dont see other teams doing all that stuff :!:

flynwa, when did the steal another team's cab? just can't remember that. was it the two girls? and rob's "lying" put him in third place last week.

IMHO this is a game about winning a million dollars not about making friends. its not against the rules to use outside means to win. romber are just using different strategies than the other teams

if they have to file them with the FCC, I wonder if they are public?

i don't know ranster. looked all over for them yesterday, and i couldn't find them. if you do, let me know

IMO Rob would sell his soul to the devil to win.

And I'd gladly pay him Tuesday for a soul today!! :twisted: I have read two different articles.. one said that U&J cam up w/ bus plan, another said R&D did it.. Rob said..whatever I'll take the blame for it..

IMHO....the thing about rob is, he doesn't try to hide his sneakiness. he has never said he was an angel or a nice guy. he stated up front that this was for a million bucks and he'd do whatever he needed to do to win. i guess i could understand the hostility from people if rob were trying to act like a choir boy....or claim to be one, but he never did. but that's just my opinion

Guest ranster627

In many season's past we have seen the odd local help ... although I really don't like it. I have to respect the charm (or coersion?sp) that Rob has in getting help ... and Amber too in the market.

I have been thinking about this and I confess, if a similar situation happened to me, I would help a team too. Not necessarily because of the camera time, but because I already do that regularaly, give directions to lost people and so on out of courtesy.

i agree with you ranster, i'd help out of courtesy also....but i would also do it for the claim to fame! its selfish, yes, but how many times are you going to get a claim to fame like that??????????? to be part of the amazing race?!! i'd help in a heartbeat!

but that's just my opinion!

Guest ranster627

Well, having tasted some fame, I would say that appearing on the Amazing Race, while a thrill, could also harm one's reputation ...

Guest XandraSkye

Rans, what does Fame taste like? Chicken? :wink:

And I would totally help someone out too. I would do for it anyone, camera or no camera, but I would definitely do it knowing I was helping someone from The Amazing Race. What a cool story that would be to tell friends and family. Imagine the stories that woman who Romber took to the mat with them told to her friends.

Guest Anonymous
but romber did get help from a local on their detour--having to find sherlock in the end.

how come they were able to get help for their detour but the others were not.

also someone stated in another thread that no one in europe know who they are----WRONG---- they are all over magazines etc.  People know who they are!  Remember when they were in one store and they picked up a magazine with them on the front cover!

WELL, I

I found this list of rules on Answers.com but it distinctly says that the official set of rules has never been released. Of course, being avid watchers, we already know most of these rules anyway. Found it interesting though.

Rules of the Race

All teams must abide by the rules set at the beginning of the race. Failure to do so can result in time penalties, which can negatively affect finishing position in that leg of the race. While the complete set of official rules has not been released to the public, certain rules have been revealed during the various editions of the race:

Teams must purchase economy class tickets for airfare. Teams are allowed to be upgraded to first or business class by the airline, as long as they only paid an economy fare (Reichen and Chip, Season 4; Ray and Deana, Season 7).

Teams are not allowed contact with known friends, family, and personal acquaintances during race. However, teams are allowed to stay in contact with and receive help from people they meet during the race, such as travel agents. (One exception to this rule occurred in in Season 3. Teams were offered a cellular phone after completing a detour. As CBS's website explains, "They had the option of making one phone call to their loved ones back home before driving to the chateau. Teams could talk on the phone as long as they wanted, but had to end the call before getting in their cars.")

For misreading a clue's instructions, the penalty is the amount of time gained by breaking the rule plus an additional 30 minutes (Heather and Eve, Season 3). It should be noted that in Season 2, Will and Blake (on separate teams) misread their Roadblock clues and completed the task incorrectly. They simply re-performed the task before checking in at the Pit Stop and did not receive time penalties.

Intentionally disobeying a clue's instructions results in a 24 hour penalty (Nancy and Emily, Season 1).

Taking more than one clue from the clue box results in a 30 minute penalty (Freddy and Kendra, Season 6).

Any action which disadvantages another team, such as driving away in another team's car, results in a 30 minute penalty (Don and Mary Jean, Season 6).

Voluntarily quitting a Roadblock results in a 4 hour penalty which begins as soon as the next team arrives at the task (Hayden and Aaron, Season 6; Various teams, Season 7).

Teams that skip a Route Marker are not allowed to check-in at the Pit Stop. They are not assessed a penalty, but are directed by host Phil Keoghan to complete the missed tasks. For example, Chip and Kim and Kami and Karli of Season 5 failed to retrieve a Route Marker. Derek and Drew of Season 3 skipped a Route Marker and thus attempted to check-in without completing a Roadblock. They were informed that they could not check in until the Roadblock was completed. In Season 7, Uchenna and Joyce failed to complete a Roadblock correctly and were not allowed to check-in at the Pit Stop. On the same leg, Meredith and Gretchen reached the Pit Stop but missed their final clue after a Roadblock; they were directed to retrieve it before checking-in.

If a team's vehicle breaks down through no fault of their own, they may request a replacement vehicle without receiving a time penalty. However, no time credit is given for their wait in this unlucky situation.

Just curious -- since TAR isnt a live show, do we know how far back the show was filmed? Was wondering if the bridal magazines in question would have been out then?

Guest cappy
All I know is that The Family Edition of TAR will be filming beginning June 24 lasting 30-40 days.

Guest Anonymous
Just curious -- since TAR isnt a live show, do we know how far back the show was filmed?  Was wondering if the bridal magazines in question would have been out then?

You know, Lauren, I totally forgot it was taped. But that doesn't change what I said earlier. Whatever the case, good for Rob and Amber to use whatever they can to get ahead!

Phil Keoghan was on the radio this morning. He acknowledged that Rob and Amber had an advantage in getting help during the race, because they were well-known. But he also said it was offset by the disadvantage they had at the beginning of the race, since all the other teams knew who they were, because they were well-known.

Guest cappy
All I know is that The Family Edition of TAR will be filming beginning June 24 lasting 30-40 days.

HMM Cappy, keeping something from us??

No.

I am really pissed, this game is of a team of two, not three. How can anyone say it is fair (i know it sounds childish) that Ron and Amber are winning fair and square, when they have had people hold their friggin hands and take them to their destination, am sorry, this is not a fair game. :evil: 

I bet if their faces weren't know, they would not have been helped so easily.

Should they win this, they don't deserve it. They will never know if they would have won or not if they had played like everyone else.  :evil:  :evil:

Yes they have had help from people have recogonized them, but not all of their help has. As far as I can tell those they have had to pay off, didn't know who they were, but those that did know weren't paid for their help.

Also you can argue that their fame hindered their race. Having fans coming up to you while trying to win a race can't be easy