Sign in to follow this  
uvp

Top 13 - March 10 & 11

best

1.Matt Giraud- best of night by a mile

2.Lil Rounds- work the stage well vocals not bad but wasnt greatest tough song to nail right well all mj songs are

3.Alexis Grace -sung too soft compared to mj version which was more angrily ok not blown away

4.Michael Sarver - ok i wasnt blown away but i thought he could have put more emphasis into like mj did when he song you're not alone

5.Jasmine Murray - a bit too kiddie for me felt like i was listening to a bedtime story

6.Kris Allen- easy song middle of pack vocals not really blown away . i dont get why siimon gave him a hard time by bring his wife in his piece while others bought up the kids. this year jason castro

7.Anoop Desai - i didnt think it was that bad i hope they banned mj week it is so tough to nailed his song and its unfair to the idol to have to do it. maybe the playing to the crowd was a bit excessive taylor hicks like

8.Allison Iraheta- why did she have to turn into a rock chick. i didnt like her tone this rd

9.Danny Gokey - karaoke finals my a@@ pure karaoke. i hate when the judges regardless of performance say a contestant did good to get their chosen one further. we're just in the first week and the "crazy one" already has him in the finals

10.Jorge Nunez- ascent is tough to overlook and add the weird faces he makes

11.Megan Corkrey - drunk karaoke . i thought it was bit unfair simon calling out kris for the wife in his promo but not megan for the i'm a single mom vote for me piece

12.Adam Lambert - wtffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffff divaish transform into like 3 or more personalities . the judges are a disgrace . i felt like i was at an opera gone wrong . looks like danny vs adam finale folks due to the cracked out judges

13.Scott MacIntyre- not good for me vocally i just dont get his tone never did

worst

bottom three: jasmine Jorge Nunez Scott MacIntyre

overall i hope they banned mj week .

are you ready sugar? :animated_bouncy:

Unfortunately, I have to go to a stupid business dinner, so I will probably miss at least the first hour. Not happy about that.

This is a play by play from a message board in the East (2 hrs ahead of me) so I'm not watching the show yet, but

here is the order of performances and song choices(only click on the spoiler tags if you want to know what the judges thought):

I'll continue to post judges comments in spoiler box as they come in. Oh yes, and Simon announces that

2 contestants will go home tomorrow!

1. Lil sings- The Way You Make Me Feel.

They all loved it but Simon hated what she was wearing.

2. Scott sings - Keep the Faith (plays piano)

Paula and Kara liked it-Paula thought it was "magical" on the piano but Simon hated the song and said "nobody knows it...it's fine being artistic but the song didn't do you any favors". Randy said he liked the song but felt it was too safe and says he wanted more "sparks from you".

3. Danny sings 3rd- PYT Simon says,

The Baker's Dozen

Last week on the Wild Card show, the judges upped the ante and dropped a bomb. The top 12 is now the top 13 and tonight is their night to shine. We made it to the big stage and we're live. This is American Idol!

A PA announcer introduces Randy, Kara, Paula and Simon as well as Ryan. The creative entrance was apparently Simon's idea.

The middle rounds are over, the Wild Cards are picked and now we have our top 13. Which brings us to the big stage, 500 screaming fans, the best musicians in the business. Randy says the idols have to bring it hard. Kara says she will have to be harder because one, two or three could end up on the radio. Paula says they should not be afraid to use the stage and not let it consume them. Speaking of self-consumption, Simon said they cannot forget the lyrics and they have to prove they are not swallowed up by the stage. Didn't Paula just say that?

Let's meet your top 13: Lil Rounds, Scott McIntyre, Danny Gokey, Michael Sarver, Jasmine Murray, Kris Allen, Allison Iraheta, Anoop Desai, Jorge Nunez, Megan Joy Corkrey, Adam Lambert, Matt Giraud, and Alexis Grace.

One of them could be and will be the next American Idol. The good news is that there are 13 on you now. The bad news is that 2 of you are going to go home tomorrow. Tonight's theme, the music of Michael Jackson.

First up is Lil Rounds, a mother of three who lost her home during a tornado last year. Singing The Way You Make Me Feel from Bad, she is performing from the first note, going for sultry and bluesy but not quite making me feel it. Vocally she is solid, but the background vocals were not very good. She was working the stage, and this will get her through to the next round but it was not brilliant. Randy said this is the way we kick off season 8, she just put a whole new spin on the song, made it new again. Kara said what she just did, everyone else has to step it up and she hopes they get to hear her on the radio, the end note was sick. Paula said the soft palette, she is a force to be reckoned with, like angles singing. Simon thought it was good but a little disappointing, lazy, second half better than the first and he hates what she's wearing.

Performing second is Scott McIntyre, musically gifted for as long as he has been visually impaired, his sister is also visually impaired. From Dangerous, its Keep The Faith. Behind the keyboard where he is most comfortable, his vocal was like pure water, with a touch of organ in the background. His performance is different as he doesn't work the stage, so his vocals and his piano have to do the work for him and they were working for him tonight. Kara said is amazing that he just learned the song on piano in the last week, not the most obvious song but it is his message of hope he wants to deliver and people want to hear, not the most dynamic performance but he was true to himself. Paula says it is magical seeing his instrument at his fingertips, and the composer of the sing, who is in the audience, is smiling. Simon said hated the song because nobody knows it, it is fine being artistic but not on this show, he is a good singer and a good piano player but the song didn't do him any good. Randy said the song was good, but the performance was very safe, he wants to see more sparks from him.

Next up is Danny Gokey, who comes from a large, musical family and is a bit shocked by it all. Singing PYT from Thriller, he starts with the soft, silky vocal and then jumps into a bit of a motown rap, working the stage, the judges and his vocal range with a bit of grit and power. The first rocker of the night, this was a solid performance that should ensure his return next week. Paula said take it all in, the true mark of an artist is when you can hear someone with your eyes closed and know exactly who they are and he may be on his way to the finals. Simon said the vocals were brilliant, one heck of a singer, a white guy with soul, but the dancing was hideous, but it doesn't matter, well done. Randy said he sees a different side every week, this up tempo thing, you got it, the dancing and singing, it wasn't choreographed, just passionate. Kara said it is the joy when he steps on the stage and he should thank his parents for making him sing his homework.

Next we roll to Michael Sarver, who felt awkward visiting his oil well coworkers but comfortable coming home to see his family. Singing You Are Not Alone HIStory, with a comfortable smile and soft vocal, it was a good performance but not a gripping one, maybe just a tad flat. Still a powerful effort that should not make him vulnerable this week. Simon said he is not the best singer in the competition but he made up for it with passion, heart, and 110% effort. Randy said he returned to his R&B vibe and one of the best tonight so far. Kara said tonight showed her he really can sing, he can really hit those notes, a great job, he is serious bringing his game every time he steps onto the stage. Paula said he is likable, a regular guy with extraordinary talent, an instinctual perfect song that gave you room to color the performance and he sounded beautiful.

Jasmine performs next, the baby of her family and the life of the family who is sharing the Idol experience with her mom. Singing I'll Be There (Third Album by the Jackson 5), sticks close to the original format of the song with her own crystal clear vocal with a slight overpowering to her power vocal, but she is controlled, innocent and strong. Randy said she did a pretty good job, a tough song to sing after Mariah and Michael. Kara said she was surprised, she hit some of the notes and went whoa, maybe a half key down would have been more effortless, great stage presence. Paula said she has tremendous composure and poise, some bright moments and some moments going into the chorus where she was under at times. Simon said it was a good attempt, nice control at the end, big notes trouble you, a little robotic at times, just lighten up a little bit, act your age a little, less little girl trying to be a grown up.

Next up is Kris Allen, a small town boy whose talent runs through the generations, but who misses his wife of 5 months. Singing Remember The Time From Dangerous with his guitar, it was a bit of an awkward start with him walking away from the audience before coming back to sing. Maybe the guitar wasn't miked properly, but I could hardly hear it and have to wonder if it would have altered the context of the vocals. But nothing could have made up for the that plaid shirt. Kara said the girls love him, when he plays his guitar there is a whole nother side of him, a few notes that were off, but he also deserves props for helping the other contestants out this week. Paula said it is because no one knows Michael Jackson's catalog better than him, he is engaging, adorable sexy which she could never say to Simon. Simon said it was interesting, not a song that really suits the guitar which made the performance a bit clumsy, but the vocals were OK. Randy said it was kind of cool with the guitar, very well job done, baby.

Singing Seventh is Allison, who began singing at age 5 and appreciates her supportive parents. Singing Give In To Me from Dangerous, this is an edgy performance with the pink hair, leather jacket, and throaty voice with kind of an Ann Wilson vibe. The first female to rock it out, it was a bit too punkish for my tastes. Paula said it is mind boggling that she is so poised and a rock star at age 16, keep doing it, her hair looks great, stay authentic. Simon said it was a good performance, he knows who she is, what kind of artist she is, but should lighten up a bit, good confidence for her age. Randy said if you got it, you got it and she was born with it, she can sing anything and one to watch in this whole thing. Kara said she distinguishes herself being a rocker girl with those vocals, when she goes up high the walls are gonna cave in.

Taking the stage next is Anoop, whose childhood was music and Indian culture and who wants to bring credibility to the stage. Singing Beat It from , its yet another surprise performance and solid vocal moving around the stage, working the audience, a tough guy presence providing an emotional dimension, this was one of my best performances of the night, except for the shirt and tie. Paula said when you a pick a song it is your gift to show the world what you got, but she thought the song was untouchable and anything else sounds karaoke. Simon said it was horrible, no aggression, light weight, and a bit stupid like someone failing to impersonate Michael Jackson. Randy said it was the wrong choice, he has more than that, not the right kind of song. Kara said her biggest problem was that there was no variation to showcase his voice, there was no connection.

After the break comes Jorge, born and raised in Puerto Rico who is pulling his family back together after the death of his grandfather. Singing Never Can Say Goodbye from the Greatest Hits album (Jackson 5), its a lilting ballad with the sleeves of his sports coat pushed up over his elbows. Seemed to me the vocals were a just a bit off, maybe a bit strained at times. But his power vocals were strong and his stage presence will keep the girls happy and dialing to keep him in. Randy said this would not have been the song he would choose, a little old, a couple pitch problems, something that would have challenged his upper range more. Kara said she didn't get the emotional connection with this song. Paula that he didn't seem himself, and America needs to remember what a vocalist he is. Simon said it was absolutely awful, so old fashioned, he couldn't wait for it to end.

Next up is Megan, who has never sung professionally before, has been married with child and divorced, and whose best friend brother CJ is celebrating his 21st birthday today. Singing Rockin' Robin by Bobby Day, she was grooving in place, trying to get a sixties vibe going, but voice didn't match her dress or the song. Not to mention I find the whole arm tattoo really distracting. Kara said she puts her signature on everything she touches, not the most overwhelming vocal performance but it showed her personality. Paula said she loves the quirky and unique tone in her voice and it was the right song but she didn't really feel it. Simon said it was a stupid song choice, the vocals not very good, the dancing verging on ridiculous, the whole performance clumsy and awkward. Randy said the song did not make her look good.

Hoping to pull make a name for himself is Adam who has been struggling to make it as an artist and might have crumbled under the pressure a few years ago. Singing This Is Black Or White from Dangerous, Adam is all smoothness and showmanship as he works the audience with a unique take on the song that had Paula on her feet as he takes the performance in a harder rock direction and rocks the house. He owned the stage. Paula said wow, take it all in, never in the history of AI have they ever seen someone so comfortable, seasoned on the stage, she was transfixed on him, his innate ability to know who he is as an artist and marry fashion with music, he has the whole package and he will make it to the finals. Simon said it was in a totally different league than everyone else tonight, his stage experience that made him comfortable, he had to be over the top to beat Michael Jackson and he was, the vocals were perfect. Randy said he was the most current, most right now, could make a record right now, if you got it you got it and baby, he's got it. Kara said he hit notes she didn't know existed and she hopes Michael Jackson was watching.

Facing a tough act to follow is Matt, Who was very energetic and close to his dad growing up. Singing Human Nature from behind the piano, he was silky soft with a vocal that started a bit sedated and never really captured my attention. The piano was miked so that I could not tell if he was playing and the falsetto he closed with just did not work for me. Randy said that was a really good performance with some pitch problems. Kara said he is a really talented guy. Paula said he is talented, sexy, amazing, authentic, she is blown away. Simon said it was very good, a meat and potatoes, solid, nice performance.

Closing out the night is Alexis, who grew up with the blues from a very young age and hopes to pass it on to her daughter. Singing Dirty Diana, Alexis was electric in a slim black outfit, an urgent and sultry vocal, it was an enthrallingly nuanced performance. Not the best vocal, a few pitch problems (or maybe its the style of song) and too many chains around the neck and a bit of a schizophrenic ending. Kara said she is back, a naughty girl and she liked it. Paula said she needs to watch the over singing. Simon said very over the top and not as good as she thought it was. Randy said she needs to watch her attitude.

Tomorrow night there will be a slight change to the rules involving the judges that will change the entire concept and theme of the show.

Fuskie

Whose favorite performance by far was Adam Lambert, followed by Donny Gokey, Anoop Desai, and Lil Round...

I didn't watch the show, but did catch where they show them again at the end. Wow, what a bunch of clowns! Seriously, there's not very much talent in that group at all. Of the thousands who tried out...am I really supposed to believe that these 13 were the best???? I can find better roaming the streets down town!

I love Michael Jackson's music but there is only one Michael Jackson. However, I loved Adam tonight. What a fantastic performer. He rocked the house for me.

I agree Elle...it that the best they can find?

There was a lot of bad performances...I did enjoy my top 5 though...but not blown away either.

best

1. Alexis

2. Matt

3. Allison

4. Kris

5. Danny

6. Adam

7. Lil

8. Michael

9. Jasmine

10. Scott

11. Anoop

12. Megan

13. Jorge

worst

bottom three: Anoop, Megan and Jorge

So...I'm wondering what the twist is that they are going to announce tomorrow night...I'm going to guess the judges are going to give themselves a power of veto or something like that so they can keep the ejected person in if they want...

thoughts added

i really hate what i think the judges are gonna do tomorrow

1. i think maybe they will try to combine judges score + america score like dwts

2.give one singer a bye

i really hate what i think the judges are gonna do tomorrow

1. i think maybe they will try to combine judges score + america score like dwts

2.give one singer a bye

I sure hope you're wrong UVP! It might be a real possibility however to insure that the judge's favorites move forward! Geez, I sure hope not!

BTW - I'm still laughing about your Drunk Karaoke comment

I sure hope you're wrong UVP! It might be a real possibility however to insure that the judge's favorites move forward! Geez, I sure hope not!

BTW - I'm still laughing about your Drunk Karaoke comment

my local station is saying now maybe veto power if they dont like america selection

I'm grading the performances - not necessarily giving you my favorites - trying to be objective here.

best

1.Adam Lambert - He did a good job of performing (even if he was a little diva). He held my attention anyway.

2.Lil Rounds - Good performance considering the material provided.

3.Alexis Grace - Love this girl but she really did oversing her song. Want her back to singing blues.

4.Danny Gokey - Not bad but not as good as I would have liked.

5.Matt Giraud - Good performance - made the song his own.

6.Kris Allen - I wasn't blown away but this guy is a cutie.

7.Michael Sarver - Not really Michael's type of song.

8.Allison Iraheta - I don't like the rocker chick persona and I didn't like her performance as much as I normally do.

9.Anoop Desai - Bad song choice - I wanted to get up and dance but Anoop didn't have the charisma to pull off this song.

10.Jasmine Murray - Boring - her wide set eyes and smug smile bother me

11.Jorge Nunez- Not a good performance - out of his element - he wasn't feeling this song

12.Scott MacIntyre - I didn't feel any soul coming from Scott on this song - piano didn't help - In fact, I think the piano had a better performance.

13.Megan Corkrey - Just awful. Too cutesey and way too old of a song. I hope she goes home for this disaster.

my local station is saying now maybe veto power if they dont like america selection

Now THAT would be just plain stupid! Why even have votes from the public if the public doesn't have the final say! It might as well be So You Think You Can Dance! :furious:

this was a tough week for me to judge

but i stand by my choice of matt as the best for me at least

because since i know many of michael songs i kept trying to compare them to him

and the girls singing a male song made it even tougher

Like Catwishes... going to name a few singers that I think won't get enough call-in votes ....

Michael, Matt, Kris, Annope (maybe Megan)

Curious to see if I've guessed right on any of them

...... would hate to see the Panel have Veto Power - I think they already influence viewers quite enough :rolleyes:

Once again this is just my humble opinion, though I am sure I will get critisim from people..

Reviews:

(I like the twist of eliminating 2.. Lets cut the fat)

Lil Rounds- Very good. Not very entertaining, but great vocals.

Scott- Ehh.. Wheres the talent again? He can play a Piano good.. But he can

Best

1. Adam

2. Allison

3. Danny

4. Matt

5. Lil'

6. Megan

7. Alexis

8. Michael

9. Scott

10. Jasmine

11. Anoop

12. Jorge'

36. Kris

Worst

Top 2 vote getters: Adam, Danny

Bottom 2: Jorge', Jasmine

I think the twist is going to be a "one time" veto power. Since season 1 there's been complaints about one of the top contenders getting booted around final 5 or 6. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if when they veto to save someone they can decide who leaves and this might stop the VFTW making it further than they should.

kris 36 lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

I was wondering if you'd catch that. ;)

Best

1. Adam

2. Alexis

3. Danny

4. Matt

5. Lil'

6. Allison

7. Kris

8. Michael

9. Scott