Sign in to follow this  
pinkie

Margie and Luke

I just don't think we will ever understand Luke or his actions, as none of us are deaf. He does have dependence on his mom, as she would be someone that he relied on his entire life.

Listen nobody is picking on Luke. I like the guy and he seems nice but he is whiny and I think he needs to act a little less like a mommy's boy. I think there are a lot of whiny people on the race but I guess you are not allowed to make a negative comment about someone that is handicapped. I only say handicapped because that is the way TAR has marketed him. I don't consider him handicapped.

again I like the kid and I like his mother.

then why not stop dumping on him then?

yes he probably does come accross whiney as most deaf people cannot - remarkably- hear themselves so their speech is what one can describe as yes whiney.

as far a being a mommas boy i could not disagree with you more! If being respectful of women and your mother is what one would to referr to as being a mommas boy then we need more of them in this world.

i would consider Luke having a handicap as he does not have one of his senses.

when other teams can shout to each other -- margie and luke can only communicate while within sight of each other or on paper with other teams . this can be a great disadvantage.

just like with charla and her dwarfism.... in a foot race charla is at a disadvantage and thus a handicap.

here is what handicap means

Handicapped or handicap may refer to:

Disability, a human condition

see Disability

Disability is a lack of ability relative to a personal or group standard or norm. In reality there is often simply a spectrum of ability. Disability may involve physical impairment such as sensory impairment

That is me :lol:

That is me :lol:

Do you need CPR or maybe the heimlich (sp?)?? :animated_rotfl:

Maybe some ex-lax... Could be constipation from all that pork in bills that has been forced upon her...

I wonder why Luke ddn't learn to read lips...

I want to clear up something too... When I call him a whiner I am not criticizing his speech...

I am talking about his actions, gestures, hand movements and demeanor at times...

I pick up on that kind of stuff...

Within the deaf culture, it pretty much a matter of choice whether a child is brought up learning sign language or lip reading or both. I would say that Marge made that choice at some point. I know a deaf person who relies only on lip reading and captioning - she knows no sign language at all, yet I know many others that are ASL only.

As for hand movements and gestures, well he kinda has to rely on using those, doesn't he?

Although I still love this team, Luke did bother me this week. He did get overly frustrated at the bobsled detour. Chekhov should not have been that hard to figure out.

Also, they should be careful about using the U-Turn again. Right now they are liked but that can quickly change when the other teams feel they are being overly mean. Karma can be a bitch.

That is the beauty of the blind u-turn! Noone will know who used it. As for why he was more frustrated than others, I think that is directly related to his hearing impairment. Notice how even the ones who didn't know Chekhov were able to figure it out, because they know how Russian sounds.

Even though its a blind u-turn, according to the preview for next week that aired at the end of the show, sounds like some of the team members know. So my guess is they used the powers of deduction or Margie and Luke blabbed. Either way, I give them props for playing the game. I think his frustration came off worse on camera because he vents a bit differently due to his deafness. I thought he handled himself pretty well under the stress of not wanting to let his mom down.

Oh, really? I will have to go back and watch it. I was filling the bathtub for noisy children when next week's previews were playing.

Yes, the partially did it to help Cara and Jaime, but the other reason was to take out what most of the racers seemed to consider a threat.

Karma can be a bitch.

I can't wait until that boomerang comes back around and hits luke in the back of the head... Figuratively of course...

Although a real boomerang would be funny too...

One thing he is proving is that he is very immature and looks for mom's help in any sign of crisis... Which seems to be all the time with him...

Oh, but it's coming!!

And I am gonna be right there to laugh...

I have patience...

I still love this team -- they're playing the game. Go for it, Margie and Luke!

Congrats on #1 Luke and Margie

Did anyone notice that considering how cold it was, Luke seemed to be sporting quite the package??

:angel_not::smilielol:

:animated_shocking::animated_rotfl:

Package or not, he did a great job tonight. I love how he and his mom interact. I hope they are around until the end!!

Wow, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I never thought to scope out his "package". I know, I know... I'm shocked at myself!