Followers 0
pinkie

Margie and Luke

408 posts in this topic

84411671gv6.jpg

Biography

Margie Adams (50); Luke Adams (22)

Hometown: Denver, Colo.

Occupation: Margaret (Clinical Research Associate); Luke (College Graduate)

Relationship: Mother/Son

This mother/son team is determined to show the world that nothing can stop them from living out their dreams. They enjoy hiking and traveling together and share a strong bond. Luke has been deaf since birth and Margie became his link to the hearing world. He uses American Sign Language to communicate.

Luke and his mother have developed their own short hand sign language and the ability to almost read each other

Another mom and son team- with a twist.

I think I'll like them.

Oh don't even start with that. They should be interesting.

Luke and his mother have developed their own short hand sign language and the ability to almost read each other

Nah, I still really like them. I hope that they do really well.

Wow! I'm anxious to see how they'll do. Usually ppl talk as they go, but they'll have to stop to communicate (ie: when driving etc). I wonder if this will slow them down or how it will impact their time? I hope they do well though.

I can't wait to see this team in action. I think they will be very interesting to watch and see how they handle / overcome all of the different scenerios people are put in during the race! I hope they go far.

They say when you lose one sense, others are heightened. Luke may have a very keen visual sense, giving him a better ability to see route markers, road signs, clue boxes, etc. This could be one of the most interesting teams we've ever seen on The Race. Even without the ability to hear music, he couldn't be a worse dancer/marcher than Dan from last season.

Haha no kidding! I think other teams may underestimate them because of his disability.

I agree Erin. So many times people only see the DISability and completely miss the ability! I hope they do well, and I can't wait to see them in action.

How can ya not like when a parent and child have a good relationship? Like it!

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!! How cool was it that Phil learned enough sign language to tell them they were team #1!!

I was gonna say that too Sugar!!! Love, love, love this team. So glad that they did so well.

The last I heard, american sign language isn't as common as it once was. I know they've modified it or something to that extent. I took it in school but lost a lot of my signing abilities. I would sign with one of the teacher's at work (her husband is hearing impaired) and she told me how it's changed a lot... so I'm not sure on how universal it is.

Back to this team though.. WOW!!! I tell you I almost cried when I saw the son crying and how amazing it must have felt for both of them to win and I swear even the lawyer dude who came is second was wiping tears back for them as well.. I love, love, LOVE this team. They're my #1 right now. I love how it was the son who grabbed his mom's arm and started running, leading her. It was right on!

Phil signing was hott, hott, hott... I just wanted to jump on him!

LMAO...Elle!!! Elle and Phil up a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g!!!! Too funny!

I LOVE this team and I hope they stay in it all the way to the end. I was just so impressed with how the work together and it is so heartwarming to see a relationship like that between mother and son. I love that Phil signed to him at the end. Also, the brother / sister team of lawyers have a lot of respect for this team...I couldn't believe how emotional he was at the end but it just made me like him more.

Love this team. They just seem so nice and grounded and "normal". I was so happy they got 1st place.

I am related to a teacher at the Deaf school. and they said that ASL is universal.. Though just like slang, words get slightly changed in differnt regions.... BUT you can usually understand what they are saying..