Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Sandy Burgin

I'm not totally sold on her because I'm certain that in real life she'd annoy the hell out of me, but she's also not as bad as I thought she'd be.

There are usually some extra-cocky survivors, and I guess I'm hoping that she'll stick around long enough to be a thorn in their side. It's really too early for me to know who I like and dislike, but I do know I like variety. When they are all young and beautiful, it's very boring to me. I like to see the interaction between people from different age-groups, backgrounds, etc.

I don't remember the older lady from last season who was voted off first. Gillian? But I didn't get that same vibe from her. I just found her annoying. She was odd, but not crazy like Sandy seems to be.

And, I want to see her stick it to the ones that called her 'grammy', and 'old lady'. Are they so stupid that they couldn't find a better way to describe her without making her feel bad? Most were able to say it in a way that was not degrading. But the 2 that wrote it this way wanted their feelings known -- that they thought the old lady was worthless. Not that there's anything wrong with being old, but these guys acted like it was a character flaw. I don't like that kind of arrogance, when someone doesn't think they can learn anything from someone else.

Sandy called into 97.5 WAMZ here in Louisville on Thursday morning during the annual St. Jude radiothon. Apparently once the show "airs" she was contractually obligated to not do any media interviews but she wanted to let everyone know how big of an influence and motivation factor St. Jude was in inspiring her to try out for Survivor and while she was in Brazil. I am also happy to say that she is planning on playing softball with the Padgett Crane/97.5 WAMZ Country Hamz once again this spring/summer to help raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital...

I can't believe that backwoods bug-eyed thing didn't know what a PACE was? And PLEASE... no more close ups of her teeth! gack!

this is why i want her to go away as quick as possable.

I hope she sticks around to torture all you haters.

Her age doesn't matter to me. I am anti-hillbilly. To see people like that in this day and age in the USA is completely ridiculous. It's a lifestyle choice and disgusts me. It'll be luck that keeps this ( loose term ) woman in... not intelligence. blechhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've never met a real life hillbilly, but I always picture them to be humble people. Money and materialism isn't their passion... that's refreshing. School bus races though... that's still not my thing. But from what I've read on here with all her charity work, she seems like a pretty decent person, hillbilly or not. I love a man in a suit, but a stuffy, conservative suit person who has no regard for anyone but himself would irritate me more I think. Education doesn't equate to wisdom, nor does lifestyle with class really.

I've never met a real life hillbilly

I've met wayyyy more than my share. They aren't 'cute' or humble. They aren't amusing or entertaining. They aren't cartoons. I'll take an educated, stuffy suit ANY day! Trust me. She's one type they cast I could do without. Must be an equal opportunity thing. Gack

I don't even know that we have hillbillies in Canada? Help me out Erin and fellow Canadians. We have The Trailer Park Boys...does that count??

Seeing as KY has some of the poorest sections in the entire USA, it's not always a choice to remain in the past... Not that thats the case with Sandy, but you never know how she was raised... I have a pretty southern accent, but I'm not a hillbilly LOL...

I don't even know that we have hillbillies in Canada? Help me out Erin and fellow Canadians. We have The Trailer Park Boys...does that count??

It seems to me that I've heard more than my share of "Newfie" jokes during some of my more extended visits into Canada. Do "Newfies" count? :animated_scratchchin:

LOL.... never thought of that way, but I think you may be on to something Sono :animated_rotfl:

Elle I think ours are referred to as rednecks :smilielol:

First off, to refer to anyone with a southern accent/draw as a "hillbilly" is just plain stereotypical biggotry. My wife grew up in the middle of the Daniel Boone National Forrest in SE KY in the Appilachian Mountains and while they may not be the most "book" educated people they are some of the nicest, most caring, generous and self resilient people you will ever meet. Don't believe everything you read or see on TV about these "hillbillies". My wife, who is one of these so-called "hillbillies", just graduated from college with a double major while working a 3rd shift job and helping raise our newborn son while I worked 50+ hours every week. Her upbringing by her "hillbilly family" gave her the traits and fortitude to be successful. Our unltimate goal is to move back to the area where my wife grew up so that we can start to give back to the area that she has loved all her life and the area that has truly become home to me. I have never been close with my family and I was amazed to see how strong family ties can be and was surprised they were able to accept a city boy like me (and I tend to think of myself as a little red-neck, go figure) into such a wonderful family. Are SOME of the stories that are reported about the Appilachian Mountains (drugs, crime, sexual abuse, etc...) true? Of course SOME of them are, but these things also happen in every city in every state of the US. For whatever reason the media tends to glorify/horrify the stories that come out of the Mountains and doesn't care to shine a light on the fact that the same things are happening just down the street from their building in the "big city".

Sorry about that... Back to the subject at hand.

Sandy lives in Louisville, KY which is (at last check) the 14th largest city in the US and is geographically located in the Ohio VALLEY (no mountains around here folks). Granted Sandy (and some people on this board apparently) isn't the sharpest tack in the box and she'll be the first to tell you that. I also think a lot of what we're seeing on screen is the television magic that is dictated by the producers and directors as well as the editors in the cutting room. They are in the business of producing an entertaining television show to attract viewers as well as sponsors and will try to accomplish this feat at any expense.

Yes well blah blah blah, I spent time in Louisville ( loo-val ) * ugggg * and I know a majority of that population ( and especially the rural areas ) are full of people that I'm extremely greatful they never leave that state! It's ranked worst in the country for smoking, teeth, poor grammar, schools, heart failure, etc. They tried making a reality show about hillbillies and KY was the state they chose ( go figure ).. but it had a fit. Funny! People like Sandy seem hilarious and cute to toss into the mix of modern people. She'll wear thin. " She done made it big! " I hold no interest in a people who smoke like chimneys in their car or house full of children ( and YES they DO .. KY is one big ashtray ), wear camoflauge year round for huntin', refuse to brush their teeth ( or hair ), refuse to use even halfway decent grammar ( which has nothing to do with the lilt of a southern accent ), or drag their butts out of the dark ages to get off state assistance. They CHOOSE to stay backwoods which oppresses their kids which flows into society. That's not country cute. That's a drain. It's amazing how they all resemble one another too. Gee, what would possibly be the cause of that? hmmmmmmmm But since a majority never leave the state or wind up going back... it explains alot!

Next........

Perhaps an educated woman like Sandy just missed out on the word PACES somehow in her lifetime. * headshake * Editing isn't going to make her out to be what she isn't already.

Yes well blah blah blah, I spent time in Louisville ( loo-val ) * ugggg * and I know a majority of that population ( and especially the rural areas ) are full of people that I'm extremely greatful they never leave that state! It's ranked worst in the country for smoking, teeth, poor grammar, schools, heart failure, etc. They tried making a reality show about hillbillies and KY was the state they chose ( go figure ).. but it had a fit. Funny! People like Sandy seem hilarious and cute to toss into the mix of modern people. She'll wear thin. " She done made it big! " I hold no interest in a people who smoke like chimneys in their car or house full of children ( and YES they DO .. KY is one big ashtray ), wear camoflauge year round for huntin', refuse to brush their teeth ( or hair ), refuse to use even halfway decent grammar ( which has nothing to do with the lilt of a southern accent ), or drag their butts out of the dark ages to get off state assistance. They CHOOSE to stay backwoods which oppresses their kids which flows into society. That's not country cute. That's a drain. It's amazing how they all resemble one another too. Gee, what would possibly be the cause of that? hmmmmmmmm But since a majority never leave the state or wind up going back... it explains alot!

Next........

Perhaps an educated woman like Sandy just missed out on the word PACES somehow in her lifetime. * headshake * Editing isn't going to make her out to be what she isn't already.

Quite the opinion you have there and again I will stand behind my "stereotypical biggot" statement from earlier. Espeically since I KNOW you took the time to research that Kentucky is "ranked worst in the country for smoking (I won't argue this one - tobacco is our states cash crop), teeth, poor grammar, schools, heart failure, etc. " I would love to see this in writing somewhere other than a message board. I am also familiar with the "Beverly Hillbillies" show that you mentioned and you're damn right the state of Kentucky had a fit over the shows concept... Why? It couldn't be that it was only feeding into the negative stereotypes (most of which you mentioned in your post - chain smoking, toothless, cammo wearing, poor grammar using welfare sponges) that will only be more fodder for people like you that don't have the common decency to do a little personal research and self-evaluation before passing judgment based only on generalities.

*throws water on the fire*

I love that we can all express our opinions on various contestants, but it's turning into more of a name calling match between eachother. This reminds me of that Libra thread from BB. It's all well and good to have our own opinion about people, classes, groups, reality tv ppl...whatever... but members here themselves shouldn't be knocked for supporting or not supporting another's view point.

When we start calling eachother biggots, snobs, hillbillies, aliens, assholes even (*cough cough*), the point you're trying to make is lost. Instead of targetting eachother, target the "issue"...give evidence supporting your view point... or don't and realize when a "fight" isn't worth fighting.

Remember, the reason Morty's is so entertaining is because everyone is different. We're all coming and speaking from various backgrounds. I love that about this place. I think you're all entertaining and would hate to see this get out of line where people do end up getting in trouble.

I happen to like Sandy, maybe it's the underdog syndrome, I don't know, but I like her...

Now that being said, I watched a 20/20 show just this past Wednesday (I think) that talked about those poor people up in the Appalachian Mountains and they showed several families that had young children that were trying to make it out of that image that is left in the American minds... One was a high school football star, another was a little girl whose mother used to be a drug addict and they had 12 people living in one house, cause they couldn't afford more than that, and another was a little girl whose mother drank all the time... The football star got to college, but couldn't pay for it, so had to return to the same town, he even tried going out of state to find a job, but no such luck... The former drug addict mom got her GED and was finally able to move out of her mothers home into a run down shack of their own... The alcoholic's daughter was found by her school councilor wondering the streets at night...

The football star had the most promise of getting out of the cycle, but he found he couldn't afford to cover what his scholarship wouldn't, so I don't know what more he could have done really...

I think this is why the cycle continues, not because of choice... I adore you Wicked and you know that, but I disagree with you on this one, and this is just my humble opinion, as you are entitled to yours...

I like Sandy and I was soooooo happy with the way the game has changed.

I totally agreed with the choice she made first at camp. Girl had to cover her butt since she already knew how the tribe felt.

From the previews, it looks like she's quite athletic in the challenges.

Go Sandy!!! :2thumbsup:

I'd rather watch a person who is good at challenges anyday (no matter where they are from or what they look like) over the little pieces of fluff with fake boobies that can't put two thoughts together.

Go Sandy!! :party_smilie:

Quite the opinion you have there and again I will stand behind my "stereotypical biggot" statement from earlier. Espeically since I KNOW you took the time to research that Kentucky is "ranked worst in the country for smoking (I won't argue this one - tobacco is our states cash crop), teeth, poor grammar, schools, heart failure, etc. " I would love to see this in writing somewhere other than a message board. I am also familiar with the "Beverly Hillbillies" show that you mentioned and you're damn right the state of Kentucky had a fit over the shows concept... Why? It couldn't be that it was only feeding into the negative stereotypes (most of which you mentioned in your post - chain smoking, toothless, cammo wearing, poor grammar using welfare sponges) that will only be more fodder for people like you that don't have the common decency to do a little personal research and self-evaluation before passing judgment based only on generalities.

I'd say living amongst those people for a period definitely qualified as personal hands on research. And KY's awards for some of the worst air, most smokers, etc. makes National news pal. Even the UK was showing KY and TN as the worst in the USA for dental hygiene. Number one reason given as to why they don't brush was .. ( ready? ) " If my neighbor don't care about his teeth, why should I care about mine? " When's the last time you heard about the Nevada Hillbillies? People and their lifestyles create their own stereotype. They don't need others helping them. No, Bub driving his Ford truck ( lit cig tween' his thar lips ) with his kids next to him labels himself. And they will tell you they don't want to leave, go to college, quit smoking or anything. Forget modern society with its trappings of soap and a free education. There's a big difference between people who want to better themselves ( thereby avoiding adding their share of draining on society financially ) and those who don't. They've even fought the government's offer to help switch the states tobacco crops over to another crop ( and other sources of income ). Oh noooooo, never! Find one inch of just Louisville alone minus a cig butt. Gee, great heritage to hang onto. As far as self evaluation. I work hard and make sure I ' get my own'. And I'm not electing to slough off laziness or poor hygiene off to the next generation.

*Edit*

Go back to the holler Sandy... bye bye!

I've said my piece and "wickedone" has stated her opinion so I'm done with the peeing contest. I am still waiting for proof on the statements made in her argument other than "living amongst them" (for how long?). I have BEEN "one of them" for 31 years so I think I have you licked in the personal experience department. Anyhooooo....

Now that being said, I watched a 20/20 show just this past Wednesday (I think) that talked about those poor people up in the Appalachian Mountains and they showed several families that had young children that were trying to make it out of that image that is left in the American minds... One was a high school football star, another was a little girl whose mother used to be a drug addict and they had 12 people living in one house, cause they couldn't afford more than that, and another was a little girl whose mother drank all the time... The football star got to college, but couldn't pay for it, so had to return to the same town, he even tried going out of state to find a job, but no such luck... The former drug addict mom got her GED and was finally able to move out of her mothers home into a run down shack of their own... The alcoholic's daughter was found by her school councilor wondering the streets at night...

The football star had the most promise of getting out of the cycle, but he found he couldn't afford to cover what his scholarship wouldn't, so I don't know what more he could have done really...

I think this is why the cycle continues, not because of choice... I adore you Wicked and you know that, but I disagree with you on this one, and this is just my humble opinion, as you are entitled to yours...

I saw the Diane Sawyer special that you are talking about. It was called "Children of the Mountains" and it was a decent portrayl of a very small sampling of people in Eastern KY. One hour was not enough time to really ellaborate on all of the subjects that they lightly touched on in this special. They could spend a week alone on the dangers of the coal mines and the way that they exploit their workers. You could see the fear in the eyes of the miners every time they answered a question asked by the reporter and glanced over at the owner of the mine off camera. I seriously wonder how many of the miners that were interviewed still have jobs?

As far as the poor dental hygeine is concerned it seems like they wanted to pigeon hole Mountain Dew and sweet snacks as the main reason for tooth decay amongst these people but they neglected one major factor. You really need to consider the "city water" that most of us are accustom to drinking contains flouride and other chemicals to help promote healthy teeth while the vast majority of the Appilachian region depend on well water to survive. Well water contains many different minerals and bacteria that destroy the enamel on teeth and make even those that brush 3 times per day more suseptable to tooth decay. Granted the sweet tooth doesn't help and I'm denying it exists or that it was overstated in this special, I'm simply saying there are other factors at play as well.

You can watch the special here: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=6845770&page=1

Back to the subject at hand... GO SANDY!