Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

One Life to Live

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

spr1ngtime

spr1ngtime

• Pip
  • 294 posts
Some spoilers and previews for the beginning of 2006
http://onelifetolive...eviews_2006.htm

and photos of the new paige and upcoming stories
http://onelifetolive...om/blphotos.htm

sparklet

sparklet

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 3,563 posts
WHEN THEY KILL TODD OFF I WILL NOT BE WATCHING ONE LIFE TO LIVE ANYMORE!!!!!

spr1ngtime

spr1ngtime

• Pip
  • 294 posts
They have a survey about todd here
http://onelifetolive.../b/a/257461.htm

I dont think he'll really end up being killed off, some soap miracle will bring him back to life.

mrspopcornsupriz

mrspopcornsupriz

• Pip
  • 695 posts
Would the writers be stupid enough to kill off one of there best characters? Won't they find out he is innocent in the very last second, as they are about to give the death penelty or something.

mrspopcornsupriz

mrspopcornsupriz

• Pip
  • 695 posts
Does anyone think there could be a possiblility that John McBain isn't dead. I can't help but wonder if the burnt up, bandaged up Hugh could possibly be John.

spr1ngtime

spr1ngtime

• Pip
  • 294 posts
I know John is definitely not dead, cause the actor just renewed his contract. So I'm assuming that its John in that hospital bed also. I hope they don't have Natalie fall for someone else and repeat the same story they did with her and christian a couple years ago.

pinkie

pinkie

• Pip
  • 4,046 posts
Tough week to be an OLTL fan....

Phil Carey (Asa) died Friday night at his home in Manhattan of complications from lung cancer. He was 83. Services are pending. "It's a sad day in Llanview," says Executive Producer Frank Valentini. His on-screen son for years, Clint Ritchie (ex-Clint), died January 31.

TV_Paige

TV_Paige

Forum Host

• Pip
  • 2,702 posts

Soap Actor Phil Carey

Philip Carey

NEW YORK CITY, New York Actor Philip Carey, best known for his role as business tycoon Asa Buchanan in the ABC soap opera, "One Life to Live," died Friday, February 6 at his New York City home following a battle with lung cancer, according to ABC network officials. He was 83.

"His presence will always be a part of 'One Life to Live,'" said Frank Valentini, the show's executive producer. "The best way to describe Phil was bigger than life. Like Asa, he possessed an undeniable quality that drew you to him."

Born Eugene Joseph Carey on July 15, 1925, in Hackensack, New Jersey, actor Philip Carey grew up on Long Island. After serving in the Marines during World War II, the 6'5" Carey studied drama in college before being spotted by a talent scout in summer stock. In 1951, Cary began his film career with a part in "Operation Pacific," starring John Wayne.

The Debonair Actor Phil Carey

This led to contracts with Warner Bros. and Columbia Pictures and starring roles with some of Hollywood's legendary actors, including Gary Cooper in "Springfield Rifle," Henry Fonda in "Mister Roberts," Peter Fonda in "Fighting Mad" and Tyrone Power in "The Long Gray Line." He also starred with Fred MacMurray and Kim Novak in "Pushover."

Carey had supporting roles in several high-profile films at the studio but Carey primarily starred in lower-budgeted westerns and film noir flicks. Througout the 1950s, Carey acted in a number of memorable film noir titles, including 1951's "I Was a Communist for the FBI" with Frank Lovejoy, 1952's "This Woman Is Dangerous" with Joan Crawford and David Brian and 1956's "Wicked as They Come" with Arlene Dahl and Herbert Marshall.

Carey's prime-time television credits include starring roles in "Philip Marlowe," "Laredo" and "The Untamed World." Guest Star appearances include "Gunsmoke," "All in the Family," "Little House on the Prairie" and "Police Woman." Additionally he toured in such stage plays as Arthur Miller's "All My Sons" and "Cyrano de Bergerac."

Phil Carey was the host of the nature series,
'Untamed World' during its initial NBC run

Carey originated the role of Asa Buchanan in 1980 and played the billionaire tycoon until the character died in his sleep in August 2007. But Carey was brought back in video wills and was last seen on "One Life To Live" on December 29, 2008.

Carey is survived by his wife, Colleen, and their two children, Shannon and Sean, as well as his three children from a previous marriage, Lisa, Linda and Jeff. He is also survived by three grandchildren.

The death comes a few weeks after the passing away of another former "One Life to Live" cast member, Clint Ritchie, who originated the role of Clint Buchanan.

The Buchanan Men were (L-R) Clint Ritchie as Clint, Philip Carey
as Asa and John Loprieno as Cord on 'One Life to Live'

TV_Paige

TV_Paige

Forum Host

• Pip
  • 2,702 posts

Soap Actor Phil Carey
by Dennis McLellan

Philip Carey as Captain Edward Parmalee in
the classic television western series, 'Laredo'

NEW YORK CITY, New York Philip Carey, the ruggedly handsome veteran actor who costarred in the 1960s TV western, "Laredo" and more recently played the long-running role of a bigger-than-life Texas tycoon on the ABC soap opera, "One Life to Live," died Friday, February 6. He was 83.

Carey, who also was known in Southern California in the 1960s for his tongue-in-cheek series of commercials for Granny Goose potato chips, died Friday at his home in New York City after a battle with lung cancer, said Lauri Hogan, publicity director for "One Life to Live."

The tall, deep-voiced actor began playing Asa Buchanan, the strong-willed Buchanan Family patriarch who could be ruthless in business and would do whatever he had to do to protect his family, in 1980. Carey was diagnosed with lung cancer in early 2006, said Hogan. He took a leave of absence from "One Life to Live" to undergo treatment and returned to the show later that year.

Philip Carey as Asa Buchanan on 'One Life to Live'

Carey's tycoon character died in his sleep in an August 2007 episode but was brought back twice in video wills and appeared on the show's 40th anniversary episodes in July 2008; Carey's last appearance was on December 29, 2008.

"One Life to Live" cast member Erika Slezak said she was "incredibly fond" of Carey. "He was a central figure on the show and to everyone at 'One Life to Live,'" she said in a statement. "When Phil was in the building, you knew it. He will be sorely missed."

Robert S. Woods, who played Carey's on-screen son, Bo Buchanan, said in a statement that Carey had been "like a father to me." Woods added, "I don't know if I could love him more if he was my dad."

Phil Carey (far left), Doris Day (center) and Howard Keel (far right)
in the Warner Bros. movie, 'Calamity Jane'

A former studio contract player in Hollywood in the 1950s, Carey made his film debut in a supporting role in the 1951 John Wayne war drama, "Operation Pacific." Under contract to Warner Bros. and then to Columbia Pictures over the next several years, he appeared in numerous films.

His film credits include such favorites as "I Was a Communist for the FBI," "Springfield Rifle," "Calamity Jane," "The Long Gray Line" and "Mister Roberts." Carey also starred in films such as "The Nebraskan," "Massacre Canyon" and "The Outlaw Stallion."

On television, he co-starred in "Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers," a 1956-57 NBC adventure series set in India in the late 19th century. He starred in "Philip Marlowe," a 1959-60 ABC detective drama. And he co-starred in "Laredo" on NBC from 1965 to '67.

Philip Carey, Peter Brown, Neville Brand and William Smith in the
TV western, 'Laredo'

At the same time Carey was playing Texas Ranger Capt. Edward Parmalee on "Laredo," Southern California TV viewers were watching him in his memorably humorous series of commercials for Granny Goose Potato Chips.

As noted on the TV Acres website, Carey's "main assignment in each TV spot was rescuing a beautiful woman caught in the middle of a treacherous situation. Just as it seemed the heroine was a goner, in popped our hero with the silly line, 'You may not believe this . . . but my name is Granny Goose.'"

Over the years, Carey made guest appearances on TV series such as "The Ford Television Theatre," "The Rifleman," "Cheyenne," "The Gallant Men," "77 Sunset Strip," "Felony Squad" and "All in the Family."

Young Actor Philip Carey

Born Eugene Joseph Carey on July 15, 1925, in Hackensack, New Jersey, he grew up in the suburban Long Island towns of Rosedale and Malverne. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II and was wounded when the aircraft carrier Franklin was attacked off the Japanese coast in 1945 and hundreds of crew members were killed. He also served in the Korean War.

He studied drama at the University of Miami and was appearing in summer stock back on Long Island when he got his big break: A Warner Bros. talent scout asked him to audition for the role in "Operation Pacific."

"They flew me out to the coast," Carey said in a 1994 interview with the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, recalling the long flight on the relatively slow planes of the era. "They were going to be seeing several other actors for the part," he said.

Phil Carey as Asa celebrates his nuptials with Mary
Gordon Murray as Becky Lee on 'One Life To Live.'
Unfortunately, his new amnesiac bride found a new
life as a waitress named Maria Hathaway in 1984

Carey continued, "I was on the set with these other guys and suddenly I see John Wayne. He took one look at me and said, 'You look tired . . . Here's my dressing room -- go take a nap.' I did. After we did the scene, Wayne says to me, 'You got the part, kid.'"

Carey is survived by his wife, Colleen, and their two children, Shannon and Sean; and his three children from a previous marriage, Lisa, Linda and Jeff. He is also survived by three grandchildren.

Columbia's Western, 'Gun Fury' Co-Stars include (L-R) Hero Rock
Hudson, Heroine Donna Reed and Heavy Philip Carey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users