Stupid Baby Names

Ivy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have no problem with unique names.

And I do feel better knowing why or where the name came from.

I still think Gwyneth's is the most stupid, probably because of the reason she gave. Unless I missed something --- maybe some deeper meaning?

Levi is a far more normal name than I expected him to come up with.

I just found this from entertainmentwise.com:

Matthew McConaughey Baby Name Revealed

Find out what he and girlfriend Camila Alves have named their newborn son...

Wednesday 09th Jul 2008

Matthew McConaughey and his girlfriend Camila Alves have revealed the name of their newborn son

I really like that name, and their reasons! I'm glad they didn't name him after blue jeans! ;)

I have an ancestor named Levi. I've always liked that name. Lately, it does seem as though older names have become popular again, and I like the trend.

I like the trend too. I'm so sick of people trying to be unique and then coming up with something stupid. I hate anything trendy, or that sounds like it belongs on a soap opera. I can remember the absolute glut of Ashley's, after a character on The Young and the Restless. Pretty name, but oh my -- there ended up being 3 or 4 Ashley's in every class in school!

Everything old is new again. Maybe we'll start seeing Ethel's, and Helen's. How about Norman or Harvey?

As long as they stop taking simple names and spelling them with extra letters. I mean, an "E" at the end is ok, but "ie", "ee", "iee", "aiee"...stop, please...

polls_usweekly_logo_3734_539253_poll_lar

The Celebrity Name Game

jolie_pitt_preggers2.jpg

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt "have proven once again that they are the leaders in original baby-naming, even by Hollywood standards," baby name expert Pamela Redmond Satran, co-author of "Cool Names" and "The Baby Name Bible," tells UsMagazine.com.

The actress, 33, gave birth to twins, Knox Leon and Vivienne Marcheline, at the Fondation Lenval hospital in Nice, France on Saturday, July 12.

"Vivienne is the French version of the ancient Latin name that means 'alive,'" Satran explains. A common English variation is Vivian, which was the name of Julia Roberts' character in "Pretty Woman." Except for Rosie O'Donnell's daughter, Vivienne, the name "has not been on the fashion scope in the U.S.," Satran adds.

[TV_Paige's Sidebar: Rosie O'Donnell's daughter is named for Viviane Joan 'Vivi' Abbott Walker, one of the main characters from the book and film, "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." Actresses Ellen Burstyn and Ashley Judd share the role on the big screen as the flawed quasi-heroine. *See story below.]

brad-pitt-jolie-01.jpg

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie hold the younger members of their

family in their arms: (L-R) daughters, Shiloh and Zahara; with son,

Pax. Not Pictured: son, Maddox

Knox -- Pitt's grandfather's middle name -- also "matches" big brothers Maddox and Pax as a name that ends in X, Satran points out. As for middle names, Marcheline was the name of Jolie's mother, who died of cancer last year, while Leon is Jolie's great-great grandfather's name.

Jolie and Pitt's choice of Knox will boost its popularity among new moms, Satran predicts, "the same way they have with all their other children's names." Satran gives Jolie and Pitt credit for their name choices.

"I applaud Brad and Angelina for being truly creative in a way that many other parents -- celebrities and the rest of us -- claim they want to be but aren't brave or individualistic enough to really achieve," she says.

*3 December 2002 | From wenn.com

Retired American talk show host Rosie O'Donnell is celebrating the birth of her first natural child. The beloved TV star's lesbian lover Kelli Carpenter gave birth to baby Vivienne Rose in New York on Friday. The couple have three adopted children. The couple named the baby Vivienne Rose after the heroine of bestselling book, "Divine Secrets Of The Ya Ya Sisterhood," played in this summer's film adaptation by Ellen Burstyn and Ashley Judd.

Celebs give their kids such ridiculous names!

We think Apple Paltrow Martin has just been beat for dumbest food-themed name.

According to Soap Opera Digest, Z-lister Ingo Rademacher (he of the great name himself), an actor on General Hospital, named his new son Peanut Kai Rademacher.

Let's see who'll top that one!

What do you think: Peanut, cute name or silly silly???

And will his nickname be Pea? Sheesh. Daddy and mommy are going to have to provide alot of toys to make up for that blunder...my guess is that he'll switch to his middle name when he's a teen just so he can get a date.

Regarding the name Knox for Brad and Angelina's son- it's not so bad by itself I suppose, but with the last name Pitt it sounds horrendous. Knox Pitt. bleh. Even Knox Jolie-Pitt sounds absymal. It makes me think of Knox gelatin for some reason.

ap_100.jpg

Talula Does the Hula Gets New Name

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it. Just ask Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said. The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court. In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including "Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit," he said. But others were allowed, including "Number 16 Bus Shelter and tragically, Violence," he added.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived