Stupid Baby Names

Ivy

Jessica Alba has named her baby Honor? Ewwww. I know celebs aren't the only ones who come up with odd names, but I sure wish they would knock it off. Now some pregnant fans of hers will think that's adorable, and there will be tons of new little 'Honors' out there. Ugh -- sounds like a soap opera name.

Agree or disagree? Better or worse that 'Apple'?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually there was a British actress named Honor Blackman. I don't mind the name so much, but when you hear it, it sounds like a mispronounciation of "Anna". It's much better than Apple, Banjo, Roxie Crimefighter and a lot of the other Hollywood names.

I hate most celebrity names, and am quite opinionated about many names nowadays, but I love Apple. Not the first time I heard it but I imagine this little girl will be as sweet as apple and just as cute as can be, so the name "apple" will be fitting. :)

However, I don't necessarily think it would fit a normal kid. But hers... who will get anything she wants, best schools, and the cutest hair-dos & outfits ...yes

Guest Moxie

I still think Bob Geldof holds the record for crazy baby names. He has three girls and their names are Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom and Little Pixie. :rolleyes:

As far as the name Honor is concerned, it's a whole lot better than some of the choices I've heard in the entertainment world.

I still think the top prize is long held by Frank Zappa: Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan, Diva Muffin.

The winner for most unusual CURRENT baby name is actress Shannyn Sossamon's baby daughter "Audio Science". With Penn Jillette and Jason Lee tieing for 2nd place with "Moxie CrimeFighter" and "Pilot Inspektor", respectively.

Honor is totally a stripper name. Just saying...

Didn't Julia Roberts name her kids Hazel and Finease, or something to the effect of assuring they get beat up at school on a regular basis.

Phinneaus and Hazel, I do believe. Maybe they have more normal middle names that they can go by when they get old enough to say to hell with these names!

HA - I just looked up their middle names - Hazel Patricia (this has possibilities) and Phinneaus Walter (he's doomed).

Honor's actually a fairly popular historic name. Like Hope, Faith and Charity. I have an ancestor that was named "Pleasant." It was a guy. I think they used to name kids with the characteristics they hoped they would have.

Which means that Gweneth Paltrow hopes her child is crisp, juicy and delicious.

:animated_rotfl:

When chosing a name for your child, you have to be so careful it doesn't rhyme with anything, because kids will be kids.

A friend of mine is named Chapa, which is Sioux for beaver. So you can imagine the jokes from Junior high...

LOL, Pleasant...there are some real doozies back in the day. In my family, there's a Zelma, Toxie and Ambers (male name).

Guest Moxie

I think it's pretty obvious there are oodles of parents out there who could care less about how the cutesy name they select for their child will affect them throughout their life. I'm bettin' though the parents who ended up going through the teasing themselves as a child are more cautious in their selection. Going through childhood with continuous teasing does have a profound affect on a person. ;)

In my school, we would have nicknamed her "Granny Smith" her first day and that would have been her name from that point on. At the 20 year high school reunion, we'd still say "hey, Granny Smith. . . I remember you". I can't tell you how many of my lifelong friends have nicknames that began in grade school.

My sister is named Carmel......in school they called her Carmel Corn, and sometimes Candy. She was nice....so she didn't get teased very much at all.

:pixiedust:

i'm tell y'all ...if Apple is a looker, she won't be teased that much, and those who do tease her ...will be her friends. I was nicknamed olive oyl, pretzel, jolly green giant, you name it... but those names ended up things I only laughed at when called.

I hope Apple is a looker Joah because not everyone is that lucky. Genes often seem to play jokes on people, you know 2 good looking parents and a child that looks like they belong to another family.

Has anyone else had a really scary near miss with their own name??!? I break out in a sweat when I realize that my parents almost named me Donetta Jean. I swear to you, this is true. It was a combo of three names in our family. I am shuddering just thinking about it, as I look much more like my own name. No offense to Donetta Jeans out there, btw.

I loved the names Scout and Rumor that Bruce Willis and Demi Moore gave their daughters.

And I think its funny that George Foreman named all his boys George....he's got like 7 or 8!

:pixiedust:

I heard he named his two daughters George, too.

Donetta Jean, huh...you certainly post like a Donetta Jean. Just saying.

I've heard that Donetta Jeans are very eloquent and post only pearls of wisdom, so I appreciate that, Francis!

You post like a 3, by the way, so you must be using your real name.

Archived