Sign in to follow this  
JEDI

Doctor Who

Dade   

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Doctor Who

by Angel Cohn

October 27, 2006: Delete, Delete, Delete

Nice pre-Halloween episode, those Cybermen sure gave me the creeps. "You are not compatible, you will be deleted." I can't believe that it ended on a cliffhanger. Thank goodness a friend of mine had loaned me a copy of the second half. I haven't watched it yet, and trust me it has taken a lot of willpower, but I intend to as soon as I finish sharing my thoughts on Part 1.

I actually really liked Mickey in this episode, which I guess is a good thing since there were two of him in this parallel universe. I loved that the Doctor had him pressing a button and completely forgot about him. Did it seem coincidental to anyone else that shortly after Mickey let go, the TARDIS lost power? How cute was the Doctor when he was blowing on that one little power cell. New doc just has this charming since of youthfulness about him that I absolutely adore. Giddly giving up ten years of his life was "worth every second."

Anyway, Mickey, the spare part, has a life outside of Rose, which is interesting. I felt bad for his grandmother, and that he didn't even get a chance to fix her steps in this alternate world before he got whisked away be the small group of Rickey's friends who are trying to put a stop to the disappearing homeless people.

As for Rose's parents doppelgangers, they really weren't so far off personality-wise. Rose's dad lived in this world, and is apparently very well-connected with the government, but they still split up. Apparently they just really were meant to have a rocky road and a child or daughter named Rose.

I was most disturbed in this episode by the ear plugs that people were wearing. Perhaps it is my general paranoia kicking in, but honestly we don't seem so far from that kind of life in the modern real-world. The Doctor compared them to Bluetooth and not-so long ago I told my aunt that she looked like a robot with her wireless earpiece constantly on her ear. If there were someone out there who was using cell phone technology to control the world, so many people I know would probably be at their mercy. Thankfully, I can barely remember to keep my own cell phone charged, so hopefully I'll be safe and able to kick some cyberdude's butt.

Torchwood's name popped on Rose's cell phone, and during dinner conversation, and I can't help but wonder if somehow they are able to put a stop to Lumic's Cybermen before it is too late. But if they find the Doctor in this alternate realm, I've got a feeling that will be trouble.

Posted by Angel Cohn 10/28/06 11:30 PM

Dade   

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Doctor Who' Season Three Travels to Sci Fi

New season promises a new companion, Daleks and the Bard

April 23, 2007

29269385.jpg

Freema Agyeman and David Tennant, 'Doctor Who'

The Doctor is in on American television.

Sci Fi Channel and BBC Worldwide Americas has acquired the third season of the popular time travel series "Doctor Who" for premiere on Sci Fi in July.

Season Three stars David Tennant as the tenth actor to play the titular timelord and introduces Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones, his new companion who replaces last season's Rose Tyler (Billie Piper). The Doctor's new adventures kick off with the "Doctor Who Christmas Special: The Runaway Bride," guest-starring award-winning comedy actress Catherine Tate.

"'Doctor Who' has become a favorite among Sci Fi audiences," says Chris Regina, the channel's Vice President of Programming. "We are happy to bring the show back for its third season and look forward to following the Doctor's continuing adventures with his newest companion."

The series' executive producer and lead writer Russell T. Davies adds, "We were delighted and honored by the second series' success, and we can promise new thrills, new laughs and some terrifying new aliens. The Doctor and Martha are destined to meet William Shakespeare, blood-sucking alien Plasmavores, The Judoon -- a clan of galactic stormtroopers -- and a sinister Dalek plot in 1930s New York."

"Doctor Who" is the longest-running science fiction TV series to date and was revived recently starring Christopher Eccleston ("Heroes") as the ninth incarnation of the Doctor. Tennant replaced him last season, which aired on Sci Fi to solid viewership.

flickz   
I miss Martha!!!

She'll be back this season. along with a cpl surprises.

sparklet   

She has already been on twice this season..Will she be returning for good? and what does cpl mean? I know they are bringing back Rose, I didnt watch her season that much I couldnt get into the show ... I dont know, the writing was horrible back then. I think last season was their best season...The Doctor looses his memory, The Doctor wasnt the only time lord and turning people into pigs.

morty   

Courtesy of the BBC homepage :

David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh

David Tennant

"Now don't make me cry," he added. "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

'I'll miss it'

Bets on next Doctor

Paterson Joseph - 3-1 (pictured)

David Morrisey - 5-1

James Nesbitt - 6-1

John Simm - 8-1

Source: Paddy Power

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC in an exclusive interview.

"I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

"And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

"That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

"I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

Drama award

Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

Catherine Tate and Russell T Davies on Tennant as the Doctor

In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.

In a sign of his popularity, he was voted best drama performer in a public vote at the National Television Awards.

He has been named most popular actor at the same ceremony for the past two years. That prize has been discontinued this year.

An average of 8.1 million people a week watched the latest series - the fourth since it made a comeback in 2005 - in its Saturday evening slot on BBC One.

JEDI   

Thanks, Morty!

Watch Tennant interviewed about this on the BBC news clips site: Tennant on leaving the Tardis (03:53)

David Tennant has announced that he is leaving Doctor Who at the end of 2009,

after playing the Doctor for four years.

The BBC has said the actor will complete the filming of four special episodes

to be screened this year and in early 2010 as well as 2009's Christmas special.

JEDI   

A little follow-up on Morty's post from a little while ago.

And it looks like all the odd-makers were wrong, since no one picked the eventual next Doctor.

03 September 2007

Series Five

Doctor Who to return for fifth series in 2010.

After months of media speculation, the BBC can confirm that the BAFTA award-winning Doctor Who will return for a fifth series in Spring 2010.

Viewers are in for a treat this Christmas, as a special episode starring David Tennant and Kylie Minogue will be broadcast on BBC One in December 2007.

Series Four, which went into production in July 2007, will hit UK screens in Spring 2008, followed by a special episode for Christmas 2008.

In 2009 Doctor Who will return with three specials starring David Tennant, with Head Writer, Russell T Davies.

The full-length fifth series will transmit in 2010.

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas. Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010. "

Menna Richards, Controller, BBC Wales, says: "The success of Doctor Who is a fantastic tribute to the dedication and expertise of the production team at BBC Wales who have worked on the project from the outset. This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience. BBC Wales is looking forward to producing the fifth series."

Following the critically acclaimed season three finale, the BBC has announced that Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13-week run of series four, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special.

Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of Martha Jones in series three, is also set to return mid series four.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../03/48471.shtml

3rd Jan 2009

Eleventh Doctor Revealed!

Matt Smith Is The New Doctor.

The BBC today announced that Matt Smith has been cast in the role of the Doctor in the iconic BBC series Doctor Who. Smith will be the eleventh Time Lord and will take over from David Tennant who leaves the show at the end of 2009. He will be seen in the forthcoming fifth series that will be broadcast in 2010.

The fifth series will also have a new lead writer and Executive Producer in the form of the BAFTA award winning writer Steven Moffat who is taking over from Russell T Davies. Moffat will be joined by Piers Wenger who will be the new Executive Producer for BBC Wales making the show.

Following David Tennant's decision to step down at the end of 2009, the team behind the new series set about casting the new Doctor so that new adventures could be created and scripts written with Matt in mind.

The identity of the new Doctor was revealed on a special edition of Doctor Who Confidential that was broadcast on BBC One on January 3rd at 17.35hrs. In it Smith revealed his initial reaction at taking on such a legendary role and his thoughts on what direction the Doctor might now be going with him playing the part.

Matt Smith said of his new role "I'm just so excited about the journey that is in front of me. It's a wonderful privilege and challenge that I hope I will thrive on. I feel proud and honoured to have been given this opportunity to join a team of people that has worked so tirelessly to make the show so thrilling.

"David Tennant has made the role his own, brilliantly with grace, talent and persistent dedication. I hope to learn from the standards set by him. The challenge for me is to do justice to the show's illustrious past, my predecessors and most importantly to those who watch it. I really cannot wait."

Lead writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat said "The Doctor is a very special part, and it takes a very special actor to play him. You need to be old and young at the same time, a boffin and an action hero, a cheeky schoolboy and the wise old man of the universe. As soon as Matt walked through the door and blew us away with a bold and brand new take on the Time Lord, we knew we had our man. 2010 is a long time away but rest assured the Eleventh Doctor is coming - and the universe has never been so safe."

Piers Wenger, Head Of Drama, BBC Wales added "With two hearts, a ferocious mind and over 900 years of experience behind him, it's not every 26 year old actor who can take on a role like the Doctor but within moments of meeting Matt he showed the skill and imagination needed to create a Doctor all of his own.

It's just the beginning of the journey for Matt but with Steven Moffat's scripts and the expertise of the production team in Cardiff behind him, there is no one more perfect than him to be taking the TARDIS to exciting new futures when the series returns in 2010."

Ben Stephenson, Controller BBC Drama added "I am delighted to see Matt take on this iconic role. It will see him continuing his relationship with the BBC following his performances in Ruby In The Smoke and Party Animals, and his upcoming role in Moses Jones. The combination of Matt, Steven and Piers will, I know, take Doctor Who onto new and even dizzier heights."

Jay Hunt, Controller. BBC ONE said "Matt Smith will be a mesmerising eleventh Time Lord, true to the spirit of the show. He is a worthy successor to David Tennant who has been utterly remarkable in the role and promises to continue to be in next year's four special episodes."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090103_news_01

Just as when Tennant was first cast, many Whovians (that's Doctor Who fans) are already saying the new doctor will be horrible and never be able to live up to filling the shoes of those who came before. And they're probably just as wrong as they were last time, and all the times before that. We'll just have to wait and see.

For the Matt Smith interview from Doctor Who Confidential, try this link:

(If the link is no longer active, search "Matt Smith Interview" on YouTube.)

Is everyone getting excited for the BBC America premiere on Saturday?? Can't wait to see Matt Smith as the new Doctor, I like him already. I'm also very happy that they're going to be showing it with limited commercial interruption...