Sign in to follow this  
JEDI

Doctor Who

I just watched it now, and it was pretty good!

The bad guys in this pilot episode are the "Nestines" (a.k.a "The Plastics", a.k.a. "The Nestine Conciousness"). I remember them from one of the first episodes of Doctor #3 (Jon Pertwee), before he got Jo as a companion, when his episodes were still in black and white.

Yes, it's PG-13, but it nostalgically makes me think of my younger days, so I'm willing to over-look that, because it has the same feel I remember. And this actor is doing a GREAT job as the doctor. Very Tom Baker / Jon Pertwee. Plus, his new companion Rose Tyler is a perfect fit for the times. The show was very well cast, in my opinion.

I hope to see much more of it. Next week's episode takes place in the far future (at the end of the universe) and looks like a good one.

I do wonder if they will count this as Doctor #9, though, after that movie they had done a few years back with an 8th doctor (and it was pretty good too).

I thought this new Dr. Who rocked! Can't wait 'til next week and I'm also itching to see the reincarnation of the Daleks.

Thanks, Jedi!

How cool that you get to watch and we don't! :shock:

Just kidding. It's cool to live vicariously through you, though. Keep us posted, if you can. :wink:

Next Episode:

2005b.jpg

The End Of The World by Russell T Davies, directed by Euros Lyn

The Doctor and Rose arrive on Platform One in the year Five Billion,

where some of the richest beings in the universe have gathered

to watch the destruction of the Earth as its Sun erupts into a red giant.

But one of the attendees is planning on profiting from the event, and has

unleashed an army of robotic spiders to take control of the space station.

Is it Jabe, the serene tree-person? Cassandra, the last pure human in

existence? The diminutive Moxx of Balhoon? The imposing Face of Boe?

And whoever it is, can the Doctor stop them before things get very

heated indeed?

(Source: http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/9doc.html)

Freeze frames from episode 2: The End Of The World

(Source: http://www.gallifreyone.com/episode.php?id=2005-02)

Click source link for complete episode details.

The Ninth Doctor

9doc.jpg

We are still being introduced to the Ninth Doctor, and who can say how this new incarnation of the Time Lord will evolve? But at first glance, he appears to be a particularly vibrant Doctor, full of manic energy and a sharp, offbeat sense of humour. What is perhaps most keenly apparent about this new Doctor is his sense of wonder at the universe around him -- and his burning need to keep the universe safe from harm. But at the same time, he is keenly aware that he is at a remove from ordinary beings, with a perspective on space and time that most cannot even conceive of. As a result, this Doctor can sometimes seem heartless and disconnected. Will this cold aspect of his character drive a wedge between him and those who would care about him -- or can the Ninth Doctor be brought down to Earth?

Christopher Eccleston has played the Doctor since Rose in March 2005.

(Source: http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/9doc.html)

Season One 

The ninth Doctor does last the whole 13-episode season.

It's been reported that he has agreed to play the Doctor in the Christmas special.

In all probability, the next regeneration will take place (or at least begin) at the end of the Christmas special.

As for his companion Rose Tyler, she is played by Billie Piper, whom I knew I had seen somewhere before, but it was years ago, and she's changed a lot since then.

Who is Billie Piper?

piper14.jpg

Billie Piper was born in Swindon on 22nd September 1982. She has a brother Charlie and two sisters, Harley and Ellie.

An interest in acting led her to enrol at the Sixth Sense theatre company in 1990, which led to acting roles in several television commercials and an episode of EastEnders. More studies at the Sylvia Young Theatre School in London followed.

When Billie was chosen as a spokesmodel for the British pop music magazine Smash Hits in 1997, scouts for the new Virgin Records subsidiary, Innocent Records, spotted her and signed her to their label.

pic.jpg

Her first single, Because We Want To, propelled Billie to the status of the youngest solo artist to debut at number one on the UK charts. With the help of the follow-up number one single Girlfriend and the release of her debut album, Honey To The B, Billie named the UK's Pop Princess and Best Female Star at that year's Smash Hits Poll Winners party.

Billie took a break from singing when she married media mogul Chris Evans in 2001, but recently relaunched her acting career with a string of critically acclaimed performances in projects such as The Canterbury Tales and Bella and the Boys.

(Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2004/.../24/11332.shtml)

Anyone who is familiar with Doctor Who knows all about the TARDIS.

For those who don't, TARDIS is an acronym which stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

Every doctor seems to find a new control room (or several) which matches his individual style.

This latest Doctor's control room looks like this:

tardis2iz.jpg

For 360-degree tours of the TARDIS control room (using FLASH), visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/making/360/index.shtml

Here are the Canadian Broadcast Dates for Doctor Who:

Broadcast on the CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/doctorwho

Tuesdays 8PM (8:30PM Newfoundland)

Doctor Who

16:9 Widescreen Digital; 16:9 Letterbox Analogue

12 April - 1-02 "The End Of The World"

19 April - 1-03 "The Unquiet Dead"

26 April - 1-04 "Aliens Of London"

3 May - 1-05 "World War III"

10 May - 1-06 "Dalek"

17 May - 1-07 "The Long Game"

24 May - 1-08 "Father's Day"

31 May - 1-09 "The Empty Child"

"The Planet Of The Doctor" exclusive 6 part CBC.CA documentary

thumb_potd_sm.gif

(Click on the image to visit webpage)

Chapter 1 - Who Is Doctor Who? (premieres early April ?)

Chapter 2 - The Mania Of Doctor Who

Chapter 3 - The Adventures Of Doctor Who

Chapter 4 - Time Travel

Chapter 5 - The Influence Of Doctor Who

Chapter 6 - Conclusion

It looks like the documentary will not be broadcast,

but available to view online only.

Tenth Doctor Announced

At the stroke of Midnight between Friday 15 April and Saturday 16 April, the BBC announced that David Tennant would be the 10th official TV incarnation of the Doctor and star in the role for the 2nd series (filming starts this summer, episodes air in 2006). 34 years old as of Monday the 18th, Mr. Tennant is the 3rd youngest actor to get the role (after Peter Davison and Paul McGann).

The BBC announcements were at www.bbc.co.uk , news.bbc.co.uk , and bbc.co.uk/cult .

David Tennant's Internet Movie Database entry is at http://imdb.com/name/nm0855039 .

A good summary biography of his career is in the April 15 section of the Outpost Gallifrey New Series News Page http://www.gallifreyone.com/newstv.php . He sounds like he really likes Doctor Who, really wanted this role, and has been getting good reviews for his acting.

08.jpg_41040519_tennantbbc_203.jpg

Ratings

Christopher Eccleston's turn as the Doctor continues to get good

ratings on the BBC and CBC. The final ratings for The End Of The

World on the BBC show that about 600,000 people recorded it to watch

later. The Canadian airing of The End Of The World continued

performing well by CBC standards. The overnight ratings for Aliens

Of London on the BBC held well against a rally by Ant and Dec for

that show's last episode in its current series. 6.98 million

overnight for Who versus 7.12 million overnight for Ant and Dec's

finale. Final ratings will be out in 7 to 8 days, when the number of

people who recorded each show will determine the winner of the time

slot. The final numbers for The Unquiet Dead on the BBC will be

announced by the Barb http://www.barb.co.uk either today or tomorrow.

CBC Canada Ratings:

12 April - Doctor Who: The End Of The World - 899,833 viewers.

#2 in time slot.

I haven't had (and WON'T have) the time to keep this updated, so anyone interested, here are some great links.

New Series General Information:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/doctorwho

http://www.cbc.ca/doctorwho

http://www.gallifreyone.com

Also, if you watch the show, take part in the CBC's contest,

here: http://www.doctorwhocontest.ca/contest/home.htm

BBC Has Hit With 'Doctor Who' Update

By BETH GARDINER, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - A time-traveling blast from the past

Guest ranster627

FROM AfterElton ...

John Barrowman Plays Bisexual Time Traveler on New Dr. Who

by Candace Moore, May 19, 2005

jack.jpgmainguy.jpgalien.jpg

Bisexual men have, up until now, been virtually invisible on the small screen. Dynasty

FROM TV GUIDE: The Televisionary

Question: When I was a child, I loved this show called Doctor Who. I remember that it was on PBS, but no one else has ever even heard of it. I know I'm not crazy. It was about a scientist who traveled in an English phone booth to other planets and fought aliens. I know this sounds far-fetched, but I remember it clear as day. I remember that he always wore a scarf around his neck and a long coat. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Televisionary: No one else has ever heard of it? Obviously, you need to hang with the comics-convention and role-playing crowd a little more, dear lady. Then again, maybe it's easier to just read about it here.

I'll admit, though, that "easy" isn't a concept that applies to summing up the legendary Doctor Who, which was broadcast by the BBC from 1963-89 in its initial run, making it the world's longest-running TV series (and one that I'll add to my long list of series with top-notch theme songs). In addition to attracting the most rabid fans this side of Star Trek, the show employed enough actors to fill this column (eight just to play the Doctor in his various incarnations, with more companion characters than I'm willing to count) and wound its way through a story line far too convoluted to do justice here. So if you don't mind, I'll keep it simple and will ask the denizens of Who-ville (they prefer to be called Whovians) to cut me some slack for doing so.

When the Doctor first appeared, he was played by actor William Hartnell as a cranky, aged antihero who went gallivanting through time with his granddaughter and two of her teachers (the show was first meant to be at least partly educational). They traveled about in his TARDIS (which stood for Time And Relative Dimension In Space, though it was originally intended by the creators to be a proper name for the vessel rather than an acronym), a small London police callbox from the outside but a much larger space inside. (According to the BBC, the original idea was for the booth to change appearance as it landed in different environs, but that was deemed too expensive an idea.)

In 1966, Hartnell left the show, so the Doctor merely regenerated and thus allowed the producers to replace the character with new actors, throwing in a new skill set and personality to match the different physical traits. The Doctor was a Time Lord, one of a race of beings from the planet Gallifrey who'd mastered time travel. (Again, there are way too many details to include here, but it was also revealed over the course of the series that the Doctor was half-human, had two hearts and was a Renegade Time Lord. His fellow Gallifreyans eventually learned to like him again after he saved their butts several times.)

For my money

it has been over 12 years since a watched Dr.Who and I found this years shows to be great and have been watching them on CBC.Keep up the great story lines.

ap_100.jpg

BBC Announces 'Doctor Who' Spinoff

captainjack_302wide.jpg

John Barrowman as Captain Jack

The British Broadcasting Corp. is spinning off a new show from its popular revival of the cult hit "Doctor Who," the network said. "Torchwood," which will begin filming next year, will focus on Captain Jack, played by John Barrowman, who appeared in the first season of the revived "Doctor Who."

"Doctor Who" writer Russell Davies is at work on the new show with a team of writers. "It's dark, wild and sexy," he said. "Torchwood is a British sci-fi paranoid thriller, a cop show with a sense of humor."

While the audience for the time-traveling outer space adventures of "Doctor Who" includes both children and adults, Davies said "Torchwood" the title is an anagram of "Doctor Who" would be aimed at adults.

Stuart Murphy, controller of BBC3, the station that will air the show, said its characters would "investigate human and alien crime, as well as alien technology that has fallen to Earth." The BBC's recent revival of "Doctor Who," which originally ran from 1963 to 1989, has been hugely popular.

SFX_logo_101x37.jpg

SFX Interview with 'Doctor Who's' John Barrowman

CptJackDeath.jpg

John Barrowman as Captain Jack

Issue 132 of SFX (June 8 edition) includes an interview with John Barrowman, who plays Captain Jack in the new series of "Doctor Who," a charming con man from the far future who joins the Doctor and Rose on his adventures. John was so chatty that we couldn't squeeze all of the interview in, so here are some extracts that didn't make it into the issue:

Dave Golder: If given the opportunity, would you like to come back next year?

John Barrowman: Oh my God, yeah. Absolutely. Absolutely. I've had an amazing time.

Golder: As a fan of "Doctor Who," do you think of Jack as a 'companion' in the traditional sense?

Barrowman: Hmmm. That's an interesting question . . . You know, he spends more than one episode in the TARDIS, more than two episodes. I'd say he's a companion. Yes, Yes. But the relationship that develops between the Doctor and Rose and Jack is completely different from any relationship that has ever developed with any other Doctors.

The closest thing you'll come to it is Pertwee and Baker with Sarah Jane. There are moments with Rose and the Doctor where you feel there's a connection there even though nothing is ever acted upon. And I never ever felt that before with any other Doctor that I watched. Possibly with Romana and Tom Baker, but there were reasons.

But, you know, yeah. He's would be a companion. I have to say that . . . it's my own selfish thing. Some people might say, "Oh he's really not a companion." Well then, that's your observation but that's what I think.

CptJackPose.jpg

Captain Jack is transported to a fashion boutique, not

knowing yet that it's a voyeuristic television show.

Golder: As somebody who grew up in the States, why do you think certain Americans love "Doctor Who"? What's the appeal?

Barrowman: I can only say this as someone who has been around Americans who watch a lot of British television. They think they're watching something more refined. They think they're watching something really special if it's come from the BBC. "Doctor Who," even at that time, was just a little bit more intellectually stimulating, a little more thought-provoking than most American shows.

There were really no SF things on American TV at that time. The most that we had were the old reruns of "Star Trek." Science Fiction fans had to read books

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

12:00 AM, 12-JANUARY-06

eccleston_doctorwho_tn.jpg

SCI FI To Air New Doctor Who

SCI FI Channel announced Jan. 12 that it will air the first season of the BBC's hit SF series Doctor Who, starting in March. The 13 episodes, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, will air as part of SCI FI Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

The series, from head writer and executive producer Russell T. Davies, ran originally in the United Kingdom last year and was one of the network's biggest hits ever. An update of the classic Doctor Who show, the series continues in the U.K. with an upcoming second season that will star David Tennant as the Doctor.

"The Doctor's made all sorts of journeys in time and space, but this is one of his most exciting yet!" Davies said in a statement. "I'm a huge fan of the SCI FI Channel, and I'm delighted that Doctor Who is appearing on a channel that supports and enhances the entire genre."

"With its rich history of imaginative storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic," Thomas P. Vitale, SCI FI's senior vice president, programming and original movies, said in a separate statement. "We're excited to add the show to our lineup."

Meanwhile, BBC Video announced that it has moved the proposed U.S. release date of the Doctor Who first-season DVD set to July 4 from its originally planned February launch.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: Now that the Sci Fi Channel is going to air the new Doctor Who series from the BBC in March, what do you think of the show, and will it make a mark here in the U.S. with sci-fi and genre fans, now that Enterprise is gone and Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel/Firefly are also gone?

Courtesy of: SCIFI CHANNEL SCHEDULE

Doctor Who

03/17/2006 09:00 PM DOCTOR WHO: ROSE

03/17/2006 12:00 AM DOCTOR WHO: ROSE

03/19/2006 11:00 PM DOCTOR WHO: ROSE

03/24/2006 08:00 PM DOCTOR WHO: ROSE

03/24/2006 09:00 PM DOCTOR WHO: THE END OF THE WORLD

03/24/2006 12:00 AM DOCTOR WHO: THE END OF THE WORLD

03/26/2006 12:00 AM DOCTOR WHO: THE END OF THE WORLD

(All Times are Eastern)

EPISODE GUIDE, HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of: BBC, DOCTOR WHO, EPISODE GUIDE

Episode: Rose

When Rose Tyler meets a mysterious stranger called the Doctor, life will never be the same again.

Episode: The End of the World

The Doctor takes Rose on her first voyage, to the year Five Billion where the Sun is about to swallow the Earth.

"Doctor Who returns to BBC ONE in the Spring"

(Still not saying WHEN in the spring.)

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Doctor Who

Having gone into the future, our Geordie-or-somwhere-else-in-Northern-England-voiced doctor boogied into the past with Rose. Incidentally, I thank the folks who pointed out that the doctor does not have a Cockney. As John Lennon sang, I should've known better. My only defense is that my computer was giving me fits, causing my brain cells to click together like one of those swinging marble novelty items that sits on the desks of bored executives. (As much as I like the attention, please don't inundate me with pedantic e-mails about the history of swinging marble thingies.) The TARDIS was playing games of her own. Instead of going to 1860 Naples, like the doctor programmed her to, it deposited the Time Lord and Rose in 1869 Cardiff. Notice how the doctor made Rose change her clothes ("You'll start a riot, Barbarella!") without bothering to change his own? Apparently, leather jackets and T-shirts don't raise eyebrows among the 19th-century Welsh. I loved how Rose tentatively placed a footprint in the snow as if she was leaving her own imprint on the past. A lovely touch. I wonder if the TARDIS is drawn to trouble because it dispatched the pair just as corpses began roving about the streets of Cardiff. Merry Christmas, everybody. The mystery involved a seemingly haunted undertaker and a very Scrooge-ish Charles Dickens, who was flabbergasted by the starstruck doctor ("I'm your No. 1 fan!"). Christopher Eccleston has a knack for overplaying a scene without overstaying his welcome

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Doctor Who

Gas-passing aliens insert themselves into the corpulent flesh of high-ranking British government officials as part of a plot to conquer Earth. Wind hasn't broken this often at No. 10 Downing Street since Churchill roamed the corridors. (Lord knows he loved his brandy.) As someone who associates flatulence with Benny Hill routines, I was a little surprised at the sudden low-brow direction this otherwise wonderful show had taken. But what a doozy plot twist

Courtesy of: THEENDOFTHEUNIVERSE

Second season of Dr. Who coming this month

Just when most TV series on this side of the pond are winding down with their season-ending cliffhangers, BBC is getting set to start the next season of Dr. Who. They've even posted a trailer online and their first "tardisode", which is a sort of prequel that will be available for each episode. The date for the first episode of season two hasn't been officially set, but will be in April.

Unfortunately, the CBC has no mention as to whether or not it's carrying the second series. American fans are still watching last year's episodes on Sci-Fi channel.

(Impatient fans may end up downloading episodes via Bit Torrent.)

Courtesy of: BBC.CO.UK, DOCTOR WHO, EPISODES

Saturday 7.15pm, BBC One | Sunday 7.05pm, BBC Three

2006 EPISODE GUIDENEW EARTH

Saturday 15 April

TOOTH AND CLAW

Saturday 22 April

SCHOOL REUNION

Saturday 29 April

THE GIRL IN THE FIREPLACE

Saturday 6 May

RISE OF THE CYBERMEN

Saturday 13 May

THE AGE OF STEEL

Saturday 20 May

THE IDIOT'S LANTERN

Saturday 27 May

THE IMPOSSIBLE PLANET

Saturday 3 June

THE SATAN PIT

Saturday 10 June

LOVE & MONSTERS

Saturday 17 June

FEAR HER

Saturday 24 June

ARMY OF GHOSTS

Saturday 1 July

DOOMSDAY

Saturday 8 July

Please note: All dates and times subject to change.

As I understand it Sci-fi's contract gave them an option to carry the 2nd season wich they probally will..

I remember paying close atteion to all the press-releases at the time cause I had watched torrents of the 1st season the year before and I did want to see it on US TV's

Last post edited October 16. Yikes no one told me I posted the same article twice. Sorry :blush:

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Doctor Who

by Angel Cohn

Ocotber 13, 2006: Another Suitcase of Bad

Sorry for the delay in getting this post up, it was a hectic weekend and unfortunately I just don't have a TARDIS lying around so I could jump back and squeeze more in. But don't mistake my tardiness for lack of interest. I found this episode totally fun and perhaps even got my mom hooked on the show.

May I just say again that I'm really loving David Tennant as the Doctor. I haven't had a chance to check him out as Casanova now airing on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre, but he's just so quirky and sweet and I just want to hug him. The look of unabashed glee on his face when he saw Sarah Jane again was utterly adorable and so perfect. While many men would go running for the hills instead of spending time with their ex-companion/girlfriend, the Doctor looked practically giddy at the prospect. Not to say that she didn't have a few words about the way he unceremoniously dumped her, but his delight in seeing her again completely outweighed the negative, at least until she met Rose. "Oh mate, the Mrs.. and the ex. Every man's worst nightmare," Mickey accurately assessed. I'm sort of conflicted about this: On the one hand, I understand the "curse of the time lords" and why the Doctor would be reluctant to watch his friends get old and die while he stays the same age and just regenerates; on the other hand, wouldn't he want to spend as much time with them as possible before that happens? But it was an interesting glimpse into Rose's life when she stops hopping across galaxies and fast-forwarding billions of years. Perhaps Rose will settle down with Mickey and have a normal life, though personally I don't think they are right for each other. But he's so loyal and obedient, just like K-9 (perhaps he was onto something when he said "Oh my god, I'm the tin dog"), that I hate to see him hurt. And if he plans on being the "expert in infiltration and investigation," he's going to get hurt. But as Sarah Jane wisely said, "Some things are worth getting your heart broken for." Hey, at least she got the cutest dog in the world for her troubles.

But enough of that lovey-dovey talk, how cool was Anthony Stewart Head in this episode? I had a hard time not thinking of him as Giles at first, but when he stalked down the halls in full hunting mode with his hands slightly behind his back, I was reminded what a talented actor he really is. Such a delightful change that he was playing an evildoer as the leader of a race that is trying to extinguish humans in order to further their own cause. Oh, and most of them looking like bats was good and creepy. I was excited when he sneered to the doctor, "I always thought of you [time lords] as such a pompous race." Um, takes one to know one? Too bad that it looks like he was done in by his own toxic goo and K-9's spot-on laser beam; I would really have liked to seen him face off against the Doctor again.

As always, I can't wait until next week, and I promise I'll be better about posting sooner. Let me know what you thought of the episode.

Posted by Angel Cohn 10/16/06 8:29 AM

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Doctor Who

by Angel Cohn

October 20, 2006: Always Take a Banana to a Party

Another fan-freakin'-tastic episode. While I enjoy the more traditional sci-fi episodes like last week with aliens invading the world, I am really extra excited by ones that take such care with historical periods and famous people. Tonight's royal subjects were Louis XV and his not-so-secret mistress Madame de Pompadour (or Reinette as the Doctor calls her, she calls him Fireplace Man). The sets of Versailles were sumptuous and a striking contrast to the spaceship interior. Though the spaceship did have that gorgeous horse roaming about, which upped its aesthetic a tad bit.

Anyway, the Doctor had a full-blown crush on the lovely Reinette and the feelings seemed requited. "It is customary to have an imaginary friend only during one's childhood. You are to be congratulated on your persistence," she said with that smile. And he looked so giddy when she kissed him that he even told a servant, "I'm the Doctor, and I just snogged Madame de Pompadour." He apparently had something with Cleopatra ("Cleo" to him), so this shouldn't be such a shock, but he was willing to stay on the "slow path" to save Reinette, which must be a difficult proposition for a Time Lord. And his gesture didn't go unnoticed by Rose, who was positively jealous. However, in all the time that they've been time-hopping, I don't think she's ever quite understood him as completely as Reinette did in a few brief minutes during their mind-meld. The girly-girl in me is always cheering for Rose and the Doctor to take their relationship to a more romantic level, but when the Doctor returned to get Madame de Pompadour and instead ran into the mourning king, I got a little sad. The good Doctor just looked so heartbroken when he stepped back on TARDIS.

I thought it was an interesting twist that the ship was named after Reinette and that was why the little clockwork aliens were after her brain specifically. They were kind of cool, but their masked faces might give me nightmares... too clownish or something.

As for Mickey's first foray into the future, he was fine, though even the Doctor seemed to have little patience for him: "What's pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective." He also compared him to a horse, in a way. I get that Mickey's in love with Rose, and Rose must feel some sort of affection for him, otherwise she'd make the Doctor dump him somewhere. But I kind of feel like Rose wants to have it both ways, Mickey and the Doctor treating her like she's the most amazing woman in the universe, but that seems unlikely to happen. I think at some point she's going to have to choose between them, or she's going to get really hurt.

Posted by Angel Cohn 10/21/06 10:00 PM