Jem

Ghost Whisperer

main_pic.jpg
hdr.gif

Cast

Jennifer Love Hewitt as Melinda Gordon
David Conrad as Jim Clancy
Aisha Tyler as Andrea Moreno

Jennifer Love Hewitt returns to series television in a riveting look at the link between the living and the dead, between life and death. Inspired by the cases of famed psychic James Van Praagh, it focuses on a young newlywed endowed with the unique ability to communicate with spirits, who has spent her entire life coping with this extraordinary gift, but who also yearns to lead an ordinary life--if only the dead would stop talking. And what they are saying leads her to some unusual psychic investigations.

CBS Sees Possible Hit in 'Ghost Whisperer'
By Joe Milicia, Associated Press Writer

NORTH ROYALTON, Ohio -
Mary Ann Winkowski's paranormal experiences as a ghostbuster for hire have inspired CBS to place "Ghost Whisperer" on its fall lineup, with Jennifer Love Hewitt in the title role.

Winkowski, a paid consultant to the series, is booked four months in advance to chase unwanted ghosts from people's homes. "I never would have thought 20 years ago this would have been a full-time job," Winkowski said. "I don't advertise or drum up business. People call me. I don't call them."

Winkowski is matter of fact about what she sees, discussing it as plainly as she does her former pet-grooming business, which helped pay the bills before ghostbusting. She says she can only talk to spirits who have not crossed over into the afterlife. Most hang around for just a short time.

Winkowski is often hired to attend funerals and tie up loose ends ("Where did dad leave the will?") or to help relatives have one last conversation with a loved one. "The ladies will always walk over and check out the flowers," she said of female spirits. As for the male ghosts, "They have to count how many cars are in the funeral procession."

Spirits who refuse to cross over are the ones that keep Winkowski busy. She charges $100 or more to guide them to the white light. Hollywood became aware of the 57-year-old's work through her friend, best-selling medium James Van Praagh, the subject of the CBS miniseries "Living with the Dead."

"I looked right past her at first because she's the least likely ghostbusting person," said John Gray, executive producer of "Ghost Whisperer." "She's from the Midwest. She's friendly. There's no mystique."

Winkowski first met with Gray a year ago. Gray recalls they went for coffee and he asked where they could go to find ghosts. "She said, `There's people here right now.'"

"I said, `Right here in Starbucks?'"

Gray worked the experience into the series' pilot episode. Later, he began hearing strange noises and doorbells ringing in the middle of the night at his New York home. He summoned Winkowski and said she sent the ghosts away, but not before giving him a full description of the people in the house next door where the ghosts were also hanging out. He hasn't had any problems since. "'It was pretty impressive. No matter how cynical you are, you have to think, `How does she know that?'" he said.

"Ghost Whisperer" (scheduled for 8 p.m. Eastern on Fridays come fall) is just the latest paranormal TV drama, following the success of NBC's midseason hit "Medium," which stars Patricia Arquette as psychic Allison DuBois (another real-life woman). Gray thinks there's an audience for such shows right now. "In this climate we're living in after 9/11, people want to feel there's some larger plan," he said.

Jim Longo, chairman of the education department at Washington & Jefferson College in Washington, Pa., doesn't take a position on whether ghosts exist, but he collects stories of people who believe they have experienced the paranormal. "Some cultures really believe that a spirit lingers until the body is buried, and some cultures believe they linger up to a year," he said.

Winkowski recently spent a week in Los Angeles, demonstrating her craft for the show's writers and for Hewitt, who plays a newlywed trying to cope with her unusual talent. Winkowski says it wasn't until age 7 that she realized no one else could see what she did. A lot of people didn't believe her, but her grandmother did and took her to funerals to talk to the recently departed. "Mom didn't have a clue," she said.

Neither did her husband, Ted. She told him she was seeing "other" people only after they exchanged vows. "At first, I thought she could wiggle her nose like Samantha on `Bewitched,'" he said. "I wouldn't be selling cars if that were the case." Thirty-seven years later, he takes her ghostbusting for granted. "I never had a reason to doubt her," he said.

Guest ranster627

Sure looks like a "Medium" clone! :wink:

this one has to "hook" me in the first half hour, or I am outta there ... :wink:

Normally I reserve judgement .. but this just has 'bad' written all over it ..

Here is my problem......

To me, this sounded like a copycat at first. Now I

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: Am I wrong for thinking something as corny as Ghost Whisperer will be roundly mocked by the critics and still do well? From Touched by an Angel, Dr. Quinn and Diagnosis Murder to, more recently, Judging Amy and The Guardian, it seems like CBS has always realized that there is an audience for a certain type of schmaltzy drama and GW seems to fit the bill. The only alteration seems to be sticking a bunch of really pretty young people in the cast to try to draw some kids in, too. I would like to see it do well for its cast and for Threshold's and Numbers' sake. Any thoughts?

Matt Roush: Good points, and you're no doubt right. I also hope Ghost Whisperer can help, not hurt, Threshold, which will need whatever boost it can get to attract viewers on Fridays. There is a long tradition of criticproof shows that pander to the viewers' heart-strings in a way that some of us find unbearably sappy, and Ghost Whisperer at its worst falls right into that pit. But it does have attractive actors (and, in the pilot, a strong guest star in Wentworth Miller as the stuck-in-limbo ghost of the week) and a premise that might catch on, no matter how critics may scoff. In fact, Threshold's biggest problem may be its direct competition on NBC: the feel-good, tear-jerking reality show Three Wishes, which may tap into the same target audience as Ghost Whisperer and could end up one of the season's sleeper hits. Look what Extreme Makeover: Home Edition has done for ABC.

FROM Sci Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 14-SEPTEMBER-05

Whisperer Believes In Ghosts

Jennifer Love Hewitt, who stars in CBS' upcoming supernatural drama Ghost Whisperer, told SCI FI Wire that she's coming around to the idea that ghosts really exist. "I have to believe in them, because I have to sell it every Friday night," Hewitt said with a laugh in an interview at a CBS premiere party last week in Hollywood. "So I am definitely starting to believe in it more than [before]."

In Ghost Whisperer, Hewitt plays Melinda Gordon, a newlywed who finds herself communicating with the restless spirits of the recently departed. The series is based in part on the purported experiences of self-described psychic Jams Van Praagh, who is a co-executive producer, and Hewitt said that she's even attended one of Van Praagh's many "seances."

"I have," Hewitt said. " Yeah. It's pretty tremendous. It's an unbelievable experience. Everyone should go. "

Beyond ghosts, Hewitt said the new show deals with more immediate issues for the living. "I think our show allows you to grieve, and it shows a lot of ... people grieving in a lot of different situations," she said. "I think in every episode there will be something that someone will connect to or a loss that they will have felt before in their life. But more importantly I think the show is saying to people, 'Don't meet Melinda when you pass. Don't have unfinished business. Don't have someone that you didn't say "I love you" to. Don't have a son that you weren't close to, because it just ended up being too late.' ... Live life to the fullest and live it better for the sake of just being able to pass and go somewhere beautiful and never have the flux and the in-between. And that, I think, is a really good message." Ghost Whisperer debuts Sept. 23 and will air Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

12:00 AM, 12-SEPTEMBER-05

Whisperer's Tyler Doesn't Believe

Aisha Tyler, who co-stars with Jennifer Love Hewitt in CBS' upcoming supernatural series Ghost Whisperer, confessed to SCI FI Wire that she's a skeptic about ghosts, much like her character, Andrea Moreno. "I'm kind of like a ... curious skeptic," Tyler (Lost, 24) said in an interview at a CBS premiere party at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles on Sept. 9. "I mean, I definitely think of myself as having a skeptic's mind. I'm very science-driven. I'm like kind of a sci-fi fanatic, and if you love sci-fi, then I think you also believe in the fantastic; you believe in kind of the unimagined and extreme possibilities. Absolutely."

Tyler's character is the best friend of Hewitt's, a psychic named Melinda Gordon. The show is based in part on the experiences of self-described psychic James Van Praagh, who is a co-executive producer. Tyler said that Van Praagh has invited cast members to sessions where he attempts to contact the departed.

"James Van Praagh had a lot of like, they're not called s

Normally I reserve judgement .. but this just has 'bad' written all over it ..

That's what I was thinking!

Ghost Whisperer: Pilot

by Adam Finley

Filed under: Drama, Talent, CBS

doi.jpg

Sometimes the only thing worse than a show that's absolutely horrible is a show that's just okay. The kind that mildly engages you but leaves you with very little to think, or rant about, later. Ghost Whisperer stars Jennifer Love Hewitt as a woman who is able to communicate with "Earth-bound spirits" who flock to her because she's the only conduit between them and the people they left behind.

If this sounds a lot like The Sixth Sense, you're right. In fact, the show can pretty much be described as The Sixth Sense with a totally hot chick. But let's not get too wrapped up in comparisons here, because it's not as if The Sixth Sense was the first to explore the idea of talking to the dead.

The first episode of the series begins with Melinda (Hewitt, who is also listed as a producer) as a young girl discovering her gift at a funeral in a scene that's probably meant to be shocking but really isn't to anyone who's gone to a movie in the last thirty years. We then fast forward to Melinda's wedding day, where during the reception she's contacted by her husband's dead brother, as well as a mysterious figure lurking outside the window.

The "mysterious figure" turns out to be a Vietnam vet named Paul who went MIA in 1972 and never met his son. His daughter-in-law is pregnant, which has sent a "ripple through the spirit world." Paul implores Melinda to communicate his feelings to his son, who is skeptical at first, but soon realizes she really is telling the truth.

The show centers on an idea that's been done before, sometimes better, sometimes worse. Unfortunately, that may be what causes the show itself to "pass into the light" like the freed spirits it portrays. It offers up a kind of explanation for things all of us consider: the afterlife, the idea of our loved ones sending us messages from beyond, and that all-important idea of "closure." It doesn't, however, present these in any way that's new or compelling. It is, to repeat myself, just okay, and with a new Fall season with much better shows to offer, I don't see this one hanging on for too long.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Ghost Whisperer

I'm ordinarily pretty cynical and unlikely to be touched by a show that is designed to tug on emotional hearstrings — OK, I make exceptions for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and Everwood — but I just knew there was no way a Jennifer Love Hewitt show where she helps the deceased reunite with their loved ones would move me. Boy, was I wrong. And I learned it the hard way as I watched a screener copy early at work and found myself sniffling at the sweet old couple at the VFW and the stubborn son who never got a chance to meet his father finally getting an opportunity right before he himself has a child. I'm getting weepy just thinking about it again. What's wrong with me? I did have some quibbles with the "scary" ghost appearances. I mean honestly even all sickly-looking, Wentworth Miller randomly showing up on my doorstep, even in the middle of the night, would be far from terrifying. OK, maybe that's just my opinion, but the whole poltergeisty aspect seems like a silly ploy to get J.Love to walk around a half built house in a skimpy nightgown. But aside from that I suppose I'll reluctantly make room to watch this... but it might become my personal quest just to see if I can make it through a week without giving in to the tears.

I saw the real ghost whisperer on late night tv and was amazed at what they said. To spooky for me. I have no desire to talk to dead people.

On the 'Ghost Whisperer' Set

Famed medium JAMES VAN PRAAGH is known for communicating with the dead. Now, with camcorder in hand, he is capturing the very lively cast and crew of "Ghost Whisperer," the hit CBS show inspired by James' work on which he serves as a co-executive producer.

"I'm going to take you on a tour of the 'Ghost Whisperer' set," says James directly into the lens as he makes his way around the Universal Studios backlot in Hollywood. Heading toward the trailers that house everyone and everything -- from the actors and makeup to catering and wardrobe -- James spots none other than series star JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT, who playfully pirouettes for the camera. "She's getting ready for her role as medium to the ghosts," quips James. "How are you enjoying the show so far?"

"I'm loving it! I'm having a great time," she replies enthusiastically, before grabbing the camera herself to hunt down her on-screen husband, DAVID CONRAD. "What's it like working with James Van Praagh? she asks. "He tells me everything I'm going to do next," says David with a laugh. "I can't stand it."

Later, with the camera back in James' hands, it's time for a tour of some of the interior sets before catching up with show co-star AISHA TYLER, who is in the middle of filming a night scene -- with not exactly the most desirable footwear.

"These are quite possibly the most uncomfortable shoes I've worn in my entire life. I'm bleeding from the heel," Aisha says half-jokingly. "You people think it's glamorous. It's not glamorous. They're really beautiful though. And what have we learned? Beauty is pain."

Source

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Ghost Whisperer

So Numbers was a rerun with the whole crazy plane murder story line, but at least Ghost Whisperer was new

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Jennifer Loves a Good Ghost Story

by Matt Webb Mitovich

When Melinda Gordon sees dead people, CBS eyes ratings gold, as Jennifer Love Hewitt's Ghost Whisperer handily wins its time slot, sometimes drawing nearly 3 million more viewers than its Fridays-at-8 predecessor, Joan of Arcadia. As such, the net gave the freshman drama a ghost of a chance, ordering posthaste a full season. What led America to "catch the spirit," so to speak? TVGuide.com invited Love to whisper sweet nothings

Ghost Whisperer

Finally Jim gets a big storyline that actually ties into the plot. Through a convoluted twist of fate Jim's rig gets into a massive

Ghost Whisperer

So the previews made this episode look totally creepy, with the tattooed guy haunting Melinda and taking over Jim's body. Not really so freaky, just another guy looking for forgiveness and trying to make peace with his life before he moves on into the light. He was only creeping around Melinda and Jim so that she would help him communicate with his family and the parents of the man he may or may not have accidentally killed, depending on whether you think the dead dude was telling the truth or not. But the best parts of the entire episodes were early on with Jim in the shower in that rusty water that looked like blood

Ghost Whisperer

OK, they moved Threshold off of Friday nights and then decided to put on a Ghost Whisperer that would have actually been a sensible episode to pair it with. Melinda's getting headaches and a slew of sleepless nights from a painful noise that is transmitted electronically. Hmm... a strange alien sound that causes headaches and makes people not seem themselves? Sounds very familiar. But unfortunately no one was possessed or gained superhuman strength or anything like that, just a poor kid who was upset that his now-deceased mom was having an affair and was killed while frolicking in the woods. Oh, and the troublemaking teen who made the mistake of stealing Melinda's SUV: He's just a sensitive kid who doesn't really want to carjack or set fire to houses or destroy electronic stores, he's just angry and gay and doesn't know how to tell his father. Melinda should really rethink the whole shop-owner thing

Ghost Whisperer

I so thought that this week's troubled earthbound spirit was going to be evil when I saw her. Sonia Braga on Alias all last season as the wicked aunt had me predisposed to thinking she'd be bad again. But instead of haunting Melinda, she actually was a good-hearted woman (albeit a little pushy) who just wanted her husband and her son to reunite and have a good relationship. It was pretty sweet, and staring at former O.C. gardener Nicholas Gonzalez working out in the boxing ring wasn't exactly a hardship, either.

Ghost Whisperer

OK, creepy laughing guy is back, along with a deep-voiced shadowy guy. Why do I feel that there's some sort of Satan thing going on? If there is, this fallen angel is nowhere as cute as Joan of Arcadia's devilishly handsome Wentworth Miller. Then again, we all know what happened with that show. But back to the episode at hand, Melinda thinks Andrea is brave because she faces the scariest thing in the world

SPOILER ALERT....HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, GHOST WHISTERER

Episode Detail: Ghost Whisperer: Friendly Neighborhood Ghost

Airing: CBS Friday, January 06, 08:00 PM

• When a young man moves in across the street, Melinda witnesses an eerie spirit enter the house as well. Her dogged attempts to sort out the mystery bring threats from both the ghost and the haunted man, giving Jim cause for concern and prompting a fight between him and Melinda about her gift and its priority in their lives.
Episode Detail: Ghost Whisperer: Last Execution

Airing: CBS Friday, January 13, 08:00 PM

• Melinda is contacted by the spirit of an artist who was executed for murder. He is trapped, constantly experiencing his death by hanging, and asks for help to move on, but first he must pass a message to his daughter, who refuses to listen. Meanwhile, Jim must deal with a lawsuit brought against him by a woman he saved when he was off duty. Leslie: Saige Thompson. Rowe: Scott Paulin. Clete: Liam Waite. Melinda: Jennifer Love Hewitt. Jim: David Conrad.

Ghost Promises Surprises

Sci Fi Wire

0,1658,5077431,00.jpg

Jennifer Love Hewitt

John Gray, executive producer of CBS's Ghost Whisperer, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming second season will develop from this year's "big surprise ending." The show got official word of its renewal on March 6.

"We're not going to mess with our formula too much," Gray said in an interview. He added: "At the same time, we don't want it to get stale. So we are probably going to introduce some darker elements, just in terms of the characters. You know, the Laughing Man and the Wide Brim Hat Man, as we call him. They'll be back next year."

Gray added: "We're going to be giving some explanation for their presence in the last couple of episodes this year." Gray won't say much else about the first season's big surprise ending, but he promised that no one will see it coming.

Gray said that he believes that getting the early renewal is a benefit. "We have lots of ideas," he said. "Knowing this early, it's great for our show."

Ghost Whisperer stars Jennifer Love Hewitt as a young bride who sees and talks to ghosts. The series, which wins its timeslot each week, has helped CBS widen its lead over the other networks by winning Friday nights in both viewers and demographics. Ghost Whisperer was one of 14 series that CBS announced had been renewed. The show airs Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

WOW! I wasn't expecting that ending. How sad. :(

I am still in shock. And on my fourth tissue.

Another shocking Season Finale Episode (I know LOST wasn't a finale, but it's leading up to it). I don't know if I can take more.

You know looking back we should have worked it out. She was in the same clothes, she couldn't sleep or eat.

Very sad, I had a cry too Dade. :( I really liked the interaction between the two as well.

BUT, what's the deal with the dude at the end.