Sign in to follow this  
Port

Did I Miss Something?

The reason for going outside the country is to go somewhere they don't have to worry about one of the parents sicking the cops on them because their kid burned themselves cooking or because someone thinks they are running a sweatshop working the kids.

Yeah, I know why they might choose to go out of the country. I do think that child-labor laws are a good thing. :pixiedust:

Port, come'on. Contracts are written like that not because the people involved are morally irresponsible and don't care about anything but how much money they make. The point of such contracts is to make it "LAW SUIT" proof. They want to make sure that there is no loop hole, so that if a child slips on a banana peel, they don't check out the next day, go home, hire a lawyer suing CBS for millions for a sprained ankle. That is not say that if a child slips on a banana peel, that CBS is not willing to pay for medical treatment and offer other kind of help, they just don't want to have to pay $24 million for a sprained ankle. Surely in your perception of Kid Nation, there has to be at least ONE moral adult that's not looking to exploit children to fullest extent possible.

Yeah, I know why they might choose to go out of the country. I do think that child-labor laws are a good thing.

Of course they are, but they didn't break any. It's just a lot easier for someone to claim it and sue in the U.S.A. They are protecting themselves from sue happy parents wanting to make a buck.

Surely in your perception of Kid Nation, there has to be at least ONE moral adult that's not looking to exploit children to fullest extent possible.

Of course there are, and I think you misunderstand what I'm saying, or I'm saying it wrong. I DO NOT believe that the powers that be at CBS are monsters with fangs and blood dripping wondering how they can ruin the next person's life. No. Not at all. I DO believe that they are looking for the highest ratings, and if they can do a show with kids backstabbing, lying, and conniving to add drama WITHOUT physically harming the kids they will. I don't for a minute believe they'd purposefully harm the kids. In fact, they'd take major precautions, as they did with KN, to make sure no physical harm came to the kids and have psychiatrists and counselors on hand 24/7 to attempt to minimize any psychological damage. That doesn't mean they wouldn't still go ahead with the show with those safeties in place. I believe they would do so in a minute if it brought them money.

Another reason they are talking about moving out of country is because of the controversy over whether or not the kids were "working" more hours than allowed by law just by being on camera. Also, there was controversy over whether or not the kids legally had to be paid at least scale, which would have been a lot more expensive. Out of the USA those two things don't come into play. CBS will still do everything they did before to ensure the safety of the kids, of course. They just won't have to deal with a court fight or lawsuit over re-imbursement or whether being in front of a camera for 12-24 hours straight breaks labor laws on how long a kid can "work".

Of course they are, but they didn't break any. It's just a lot easier for someone to claim it and sue in the U.S.A. They are protecting themselves from sue happy parents wanting to make a buck.

I know its to protect themselves, my main comment was that I would never send a child of mine to another country for a reality show. I'm sure the children would be taken good care of. I think just 2-3 children had minor injuries over 40 days and that was good for that many kids. JMHO :pixiedust:

I believe that if there is another season, and it is filmed out of the country, that TPTB will have an adult family member there with them, maybe in a hotel, so that the kids don't see them while they are there, but they will be near by if for some reason they are needed, ie: someone gets burned badly from cooking and needed to go to the hospital... This is just my best guess anyways...

I would agree with you Yana, that if there was an overseas location for the next KN that the children would have someone go with them to what ever country it would be. I still for myself personally would not want my child to do it out of the country. Like I posted before that I'm very sure there will be plenty of families that would jump at the chance for their child to do it no matter where its shot. Thats fine with me. I also think the children would have better protection of their rights if they did KN in the USA. As for the 22-23 page contracts, I bet its a pretty standard contract for the industry. JMHO and I value yours. :pixiedust:

I'll disagree with Yana on that one, just for the reason that it ruins the fottage of the phone call home after winning a gold star, when only one parent is home to accept. (And what about single-parent families?)

Plus, the extra expense to CBS for paying to put 40 people up for that long.

I don't think they can leave up to the individual to cover the expense, since not all the families this year could necessarily be able to afford that.

You could be right Jedi, but I am like TCS in the fact that I would NEVER let my child leave the country without an adult from their family... It might not be me or their Dad, but another adult that I trusted and that my child knew...

It does make for an interesting debate, but does anyone know how valid the info is (child slave labor camps in mexico run by Captian Hook)? :animated_bouncy:

From what little I have found on the Internet and read here (also on the Internet), it is still up in the air if there will be a Kid Nation II. Those who been the reality TV scene for a while know early rumors are often not completely accurate if they contain any valid info at all.

You are correct Echo... KN 2 isn't a for sure thing... TPTB have said they are ready to start filming if the show is picked up for a second season though...

If the writers strike keeps going on, we just might see another one. :pixiedust: