Sign in to follow this  
Port

Did I Miss Something?

Do you think you missed something on the show or don't understand something? Ask here and maybe we can all answer it together. I'm going to start with something that's bothering me:

Did I miss Michael's birthday? Was it mentioned? I thought maybe he just turned 15 after the show had wrapped or something, but then last night it definitely had the "Michael 15" line under him. When the show started I know he was 14! His bio and the "tagline" under him (for lack of something better to call it) always said "Michael 14". I don't know when exactly that changed, but I noticed a couple episodes back that it was saying he was 15 and so I checked his bio and now even it says he is 15. Can anyone help me out and tell me if I am going crazy or not?

At the end of last nights' show I would liked to see an update on how the 3 children that went home are doing. It just seems that they didn't matter once they raised their hand and walked out the door. JMHO :pixiedust:

well, once you're gone, you're gone...

well, once you're gone, you're gone...

When Survivor ends....they bring back everyone. They do it on other shows too. just sayin' ;):pixiedust:

Well, in this case the kids are back in school and I don't know if they could have gotten them to sit still for a reunion show.

As for Michael, it was either a typo or he did indeed celebrate a birthday off camera in Bonanza City.

Fuskie

Who believes Mike was wrong and understands that Jared, at least, stays in touch with and has spent time with a number of his fellow pioneers...

I would like Fuskie to use his connection to confirm if these kids got nothing more in terms of $$$$$ than what was shown. Did Jared go home with only 5K, or did the producers make some finical "adjustments" afterwords calling it something other than a Gold Star?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OOOps echo....I posted the same thing over in the Sophia thread. :giggle::pixiedust:

MICHAEL did turn 15 while in Bonanza city.

It was just after the one young girl who won a gold star on her birthday.

It was mentioned briefly and if i remember correctly it showed members of green wishing Michael a happy birthday.

That's being petty sharp FLYNWA. I missed it. I remember Malory getting her Gold star because, in part, it was her birthday, but missed Michaels. Like others here in this forum, when it listed him as 15, I did a double take with my TiVo to make sure I saw that right.

Thanks FLYNWA! Now I wish I had kept them all on my DVR so I could go back and see the things I'm sure I missed.

TCS, I want to know about Jimmy and the others too.

I would like Fuskie to use his connection

You are just desperate to be right, aren't you.

Fuskie

Who is not going to spoil anyone's views of the show...

Fuskie, I am confused by your last post. Maybe I didn't state my question very well, I can get like that sometimes. In one or more of your posts, you stated you were good friends with Jared parents. I figured you might know if the children received equal amounts for their efforts during the 40 days, or was it as it appeared on show where some children, such as Sofia went home with 70k+, and other children such as Jared went home with nothing in terms of $$$$. My thinking is the producers\CBS are a bit more fair mind and after the show had concluded, each child was compensated equally. If you don't know, then that's OK, I just thought I'd ask to see if you knew. I think TCS would like to know as well.

Well Fuskie, if you could find out for us then we would all know and the whole discusion would be over with. If there is no other compensation, I'm sure echo would graciously concede. If there is extra money, then of course echo would be able to say "HA"! :) I think there are more than just echo and I who would really like to know just how much these children got to be on this show. I have googled and searched the internet and have not found anything on the payments to these children other than the gold stars. Of course I'm not very good at using my computer, I have learned so much since I've been logging onto Mortys. Several Morty members have been very helpful to me, and I'm very grateful.

Fuskie

Who is not going to spoil anyone's views of the show...

Just how would knowing how much money the children got is going to spoil someones' view of the show? Just wonderin' :)

JMHO :pixiedust:

Ok I just googled and put in "Kid Nation payments" and found a New York Times article (I don't know how to add a link )so maybe you guys can just google it like I did. Anyways, it says that each child gets $5000.00 and if they don't make it to the end they don't get anything. The three children who left early gets nothing. So other than the stars and $5000.00 thats all they get. The parents had to sign a 22 page contract. So, I guess thats the way it is. If this article is anyway correct it also says the parent signed away the childrens' life-stories (what ever that means) I don't think I would have agreed to some of what was in that contract. JMHO :pixiedust:

The agreement, which was provided to The New York Times by the New Mexico attorney general

yeah I have seen this. It was posted on the internet before the series hit the air. If Fuskie cares to confirm that Jared received 5K and nothing else, I shall be satified. However, it is my guess that the children's parents signed a contract making it difficult for them to discuss the financial details with friends\family.

I read in another forum on the internet someone saying that children did receive more than 5K and that there were competitions\games that were held during the 40 days but weren't included in any of episodes; I can't find any confirmation that is true. The NY Times article does not reference the three 50K awards so article just sumerizing what was required to be filed with the state, and I tend to doubt they are required to make public the full contract that the parents signed. I know that in general the contracts that most reality TV players sign is kept confidential just like most binding contracts between two private parties (employer and employee), therefor unless it is leaked, such info is not easily discovered (and why we often get TFOTH on BB feeds). From what I have read about the Suvivor contracts, the players sign a very detailed contact that makes them liabled for huge sums of money if they start talking publically about the show's interworkings and $$$$ beyond they are authorized to talk about. They can't write a "tell all" book, then go on Opera and say "On day 14, Mark Burnett showed up and told us we had to redo the last competion over again because.......".

And...

And that right includes the right to portray the children either accurately or with fictionalization "to achieve a humorous or satirical effect."

Which means the producers could make children to be seen doing\saying things out of context.

The article was written August 23rd so maybe the $50,000.00 stars weren't mentioned, or was an after thought once the show was already being aired.

The article also states that the New York Times got to see the entire contract. So who really knows? Sounds like the parents or children can't talk about it. :pixiedust:

TCS Wrote:

The article was written August 23rd so maybe the $50,000.00 stars weren't mentioned, or was an after thought once the show was already being aired.

TCS, you do understand that show was entirely filmed before August? I say this because many reality shows shoot everything in advance (except BB, AI, DWTS), then they edit the footage into episodes very much like any fictional TV series. Kid Nation is not like America Idol or Dancing with the stars, where events happen some what in real time. Shows like Survivor, TAR, and Kid Nation film everything many months before the first episode is aired.

Before they edited the first 42 min episode, they knew who had won the all the gold stars, and everything else that happened. For example the knew that Sofia won 2 gold stars, so from the very beginning, and throughout the 13 episodes, they sprinkled footage that lead the audience conclude that Sofia was worthy of a two gold stars. It is very likely events appears out of order, and as quoted in my last post, they reserved the right distort reality as they saw fit (which has always been my perception). This is true for all reality TV series, and extremely clear to people that watch BB feeds. The feeds watchers knows the BB prime TV series tends to favor players that makes for good ratings, and slant the reality in ways that doesn't always reflect accurately what was seen in the feeds :) The one example that comes to mind is Amber crying all the time, she did cry alot, but on the prime time show (for a few episodes) they made her look like she cried all the time for almost no reason, but she really wasn't THAT bad, they just made her look like she was completely falling apart.

The one example that comes to mind is Amber crying all the time, she did cry alot, but on the prime time show (for a few episodes) they made her look like she cried all the time for almost no reason, but she really wasn't THAT bad, they just made her look like she was completely falling apart.

She did cry all the time, and sometimes for no reason. Did you have the live feed? Or whatch the show for that matter? She cried every time she in the DR, and every time Julie talked to her on the live show.

As for the 50k stars not being in the article, it was being kept a secret that they were given out. The contract wouldn't mention specific prizes and probably only said "any prizes awarded during the filming". I agree that there were probably other games played that weren't shown, but they were done to give them something to do and keep their spirits up. They were probably never meant to be on the show.

TCS, you do understand that show was entirely filmed before August?

Ok.... when I was reading the article and posting, it was between 12:30am and 2am in the morning. I did forget that the show was done in the Spring. ;)

As for the 50k stars not being in the article, it was being kept a secret that they were given out. The contract wouldn't mention specific prizes and probably only said "any prizes awarded during the filming".

Thats probably the reason the article didn't state it. :)

AND....about them making Amber look like a crier all the time....I didn't have the live feeds but I read the feed-recaps daily and in them, they posted that she was crying. The girl was boohooing all over the place. Yeah, and on the shows everytime Julie talked to Amber she would cry. Just sayin' ;)

:pixiedust:

Hi TCS, My example of Amber to illustrate a point that Amber's crying was amplified for prime time show and that is the nature of reality TV and is no less true for Kid Nation or any other reality show. People on those shows often get personality flaws exploited\amplified for entertainment value and that is what I see happening on Kid Nation. Amber more than likely cries a lot in her real life, is is likely that crying quality about her was big factor that helped her get on the show, just as Taylor being a stubborn 10 year old who tends to rebell against authority figures, helped her in being selected for Kid Nation.

I shall avoid turning this thread yet another BB flame war, which if anyone wants to recall, never once did you see me going into the BB threads causing problems or poring fuel on a fire. Nor do you see me going into TAR forums, Survivor forums, and pissing anyone, making extremely obvious attempts to bait people into a fight. I mean, do I really come across as that much of a clueless ding dong <insert rolling eyes here>. :animated_bouncy: .

Also, I want to nominate TCS to become one of the Morty's Darths. I think she is very very good, and when a person is a good as I am, I should know. :notworthy:

LOL echo, Amber gave the producers plenty to work with. ;)

Back to Kid Nation, after everythings said and done I did enjoy the show. I may not agree with how the compensation was handed out. Or how they made certain children appear. I will watch it again if there is ever another season. I really loved these children. I'm going to miss them. I'm considering it as entertainment. JMHO :pixiedust:

the minor and the parent are being held solely responsible for any

They, (the producers) may have to move filming out of the country, but from what I've heard they are already planning to do that with the next one and shoot it in Mexico.

After reading your comment, I went and googled "Kid Nation 2 Mexico" and there was some stuff about #2 maybe filmed out of country. The producers were stating that the kids needed a passport.

Sorry, if I had a child, no <bleeping> way would I consent to letting he/she go out of country to film a reality show. Educational, life-experience, or for the money...noway. I'm sure there will be plenty of parents out there that would be happy to let their children go. I would not be one of them. JMHO :pixiedust: