Celebrity Ailments

salter-path

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: No word on whether the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame vocalist will discuss how he contracted hepatitis C , but he has long history of drug abuse. (Steven Tyler)

duh........yeah, that'll do it.

Gee, I always thought that Keith or Mick would go before this guy...one never knows does one.

• 2 weeks later...

Illness News

Farrah Fawcett Battling Intestinal Cancer

0.jpg

Farrah Fawcett

Actress Farrah Fawcett has confirmed press reports she is battling cancer, as her celebrity friends send their best wishes to her. The former "Charlie's Angels" star, 59, has been diagnosed with cancer of the intestine and is currently undergoing radiation treatment.

Confirming the report, Fawcett said, "Please respect my privacy at this challenging time." Comedian Robin Williams wished her well from his "Man of the Year" premiere, "I send you much love and I say a prayer, too."

Former "Beverly Hills, 90210" actress Tori Spelling, whose late father Aaron Spelling produced "Charlie's Angels," gave her well wishes, "I love Farrah, I had no idea. Our thoughts are with her, wishing her the best and a speedy recovery."

Illness News

Winfrey Collapses from Heat Exhaustion

owinfrey.jpg

Oprah Winfrey

Talk show giant Oprah Winfrey collapsed from heat exhaustion during a recent visit to her hometown of Kosciusko, Mississippi. The 52-year-old was in town for the opening ceremony of Oprah Winfrey Boys & Girls Club, when temperatures pushing 100 degrees Fahrenheit and high humidity caused her to feel unwell.

An onlooker said, "Just as Oprah was about to cut the ribbon, she collapsed. She was getting dizzier and dizzier, she started sweating profusely and her vision became blurred. Her knees were buckling under her and she nearly blacked out."

"Oprah quickly stepped back and found a seat," the eyewitness continued. "She tried to revive herself by putting cool compresses on her head and drinking liquids. Oprah made light of the situation, telling everyone it was due to the heat."

Injury News

Sigourney Weaver Suffers Knee Injury

150x223--.jpg

Sigourney Weaver

"Gorillas in the Mist" actress Sigourney Weaver has been forced to stop exercising for a year after injuring her knee during the shooting of upcoming movie, "Snow Cake." The 56-year-old actress was filming a scene in which she had to jump on a trampoline when the accident occurred.

She says, "They had to shoot that scene really fast, and there was no time to warm up. I hurt both knees and I've been in physical therapy for months. Having to take a year off from working out was tough. I've missed it. I've put on eight pounds, which I'm looking forward to losing. You have to learn what not to do with your knees."

Injury News

Injury Stops Nicholson Promotional Tour

JNicolson.jpg

Jack Nicholson

Hollywood veteran Jack Nicholson is bed-ridden with a mysterious neck injury, leaving him unable to promote new movie, "The Departed." The 69-year-old strained his neck badly when he attended the New York City premiere of the Martin Scorsese gangster film at the Ziegfeld Theatre on September 26, according to PageSix.com. A friend says, "We don't know exactly what is wrong, but something is wrong with his neck."

• 3 weeks later...

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Hospital News

'Dynasty' Patriarch Treated for Cancer

10100035_162X240.jpg

John Forsythe

Charlie knows what his 'Angel' is going through. John Forsythe, who is best known for his role as oil tycoon, Blake Carrington on "Dynasty" but who also provided the disembodied voice for the titular boss in "Charlie's Angels," has been undergoing treatment for colon cancer, a representative for the actor said.

"He seems to be in good spirits. They hope to have him home soon," Harlan Boll told The Associated Press. The 88-year-old Forsythe is currently staying at a Los Angeles hospital, where he has been receiving care since being diagnosed with the disease on September 28. No other details about his condition were provided.

This news comes barely a week after original "Charlie's Angel" Farrah Fawcett confirmed that she is battling intestinal cancer. The 1970s-era pinup girl recently had surgery to remove a tumor and said that she'll be undergoing "cutting edge, state of the art treatment" for the next six weeks. Fawcett's fellow Angels, Jaclyn Smith and Kate Jackson, both faced bouts with breast cancer, as well.

2832686.jpg

Joan Collins, John Forsythe and Linda Evans in 'Dynasty'

Forsythe portrayed the dulcet-toned head of the Charles Townsend Agency--entirely by speakerphone--for the Aaron Spelling-produced ABC series' entire run, from 1976 to 1981. His face was never seen but every once in a while you'd get a rear view. Fully clothed, of course.

Forsythe reprised the role for the two big-screen remakes, 2000's "Charlie's Angels" and 2003's "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," which starred Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu as the crime-fighting 'Angels.'

Forsythe had Joan Collins and Linda Evans catfighting over him for the better part of the 1980s on another signature Spelling effort, "Dynasty." Forsythe received three Emmy nominations for his role as Blake Carrington on the prime-time soap and scored two Golden Globes.

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Illness News

Ailing Usher Bails on 'Chicago'

536921.jpg

Usher as Billy Flynn in 'Chicago'

"Chicago" is no longer Usher's kind of town. And that has producers feeling about as sick as the bedridden star. After learning this week that the platinum-selling R&B artist was no longer on hand to 'razzle-dazzle 'em' due to an "extreme" case of strep throat, disgruntled ticket-holders demanded their money back, The New York Post reported.

Usher has been offstage since last Friday, producing a "horrible" effect on ticket sales, according to producer Barry Weissler. It cost the show close to $400,000 in refunds. Since the Grammy winner's debut as legal slickster Billy Flynn on August 22, the box office has averaged $800,000 in ticket sales per week.

"We never expected this," Weissler told The Post in an interview. "He was very sick last week, and it's just gotten worse. Unfortunately, he won't be coming back." Due to the surge in sales, Usher's original run was extended by two weeks and was reset to end Saturday.

281x211.jpg

Usher as Billy Flynn in 'Chicago'

Despite having to cut the song-and-dance short by a week, missing 11 performances overall, Usher's participation still helped "Chicago" post a profit of an "amazing" $1.7 million, an unnamed show source told The Post.

Which is good, considering Usher was also the highest paid Billy Flynn to ever defend murderess and aspiring superstar Roxie Hart, despite New York Times Theater Critic Ben Brantley calling Usher proof that "it's possible to like someone and be bored by him at the same time."

"We just hope Usher gets healthy soon," Weissler said. "He was one of the best Billy Flynns we've ever had. He's welcome back anytime." October 14 also being the almost-28-year-old's birthday, Usher had planned a post-show party at Manhattan restaurant, The Grand, but the shindig has since been canceled.

8978a.jpg

Bianca Marroquin, Bryn Dowling and Usher in 'Chicago'

Shortly after the curtain rose on his theatrical career, Usher, ever the sensualist, told People Magazine that "Broadway is like a monogamous relationship. Doing anything else, like acting in Hollywood--which is great--it's like a one-night stand. You do it and then you keep moving."

To MTV News, the "Confessions" singer said: "If you think that you will be able to indulge in the nightlife, the wild life of New York City and do Broadway, it's impossible If you do catch me out, it'll be a miracle because I take this that serious."

Usher continued to explain in the statement, "It takes a lot to give 120 percent of yourself as an actor, as a vocalist, as a performer, and do it again and again, for eight shows a week. Broadway is no joke."

usher-cp-10567473.jpg

Usher as Billy Flynn with company in 'Chicago'

"He is really saddened that he cannot close out his last week in Chicago with a bang," Usher's mom and manager, Jonnetta Patton, said. "He expresses his sincere apologies to all of his fans who purchased tickets to see him this final week."

In other news from the theatrical Windy City, Huey Lewis steps into the Billy role on November 20. Ashlee Simpson, meanwhile, joined the London cast of the musical last month, playing Roxie.

ap_100.jpg

Hospital News

Actor Recovering After Onstage Collapse

0216-ActActRichardEaston.gif

Richard Easton

NEW YORK CITY, New York -- The Tony-award winning actor, Richard Easton was recuperating at a hospital on Thursday, October 19 after he collapsed on stage during a preview performance of the Broadway play, "The Coast of Utopia."

Easton, 73, fainted on Wednesday, October 18 at Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater while making a dramatic exit near the end of the first act of Tom Stoppard's 2002 trilogy. The show was halted as Easton's co-star, Ethan Hawke, asked for help from any doctors in the audience.

Easton was hospitalized, but appeared to recover quickly, said the theater's spokesman, Philip Rinaldi. "They don't know what it was," Rinaldi said Thursday. "He was OK last night. He was alert, lucid, talking. He seemed fine. Today, he is undergoing a battery of tests."

1328b.jpg

Robert Sean Leonard and Richard Easton in a scene

from 'The Invention of Love'

Wednesday night's performance was canceled and the audience sent home, but performances were to resume Thursday with David Manis, Easton's understudy, Rinaldi said. Patrons will be eligible for a refund or exchange, he said.

Previews for the play, the first part of a nine-hour epic set in 19th-century Russia, began on Tuesday. It opens November 5. Easton had been playing a nobleman, and father to Hawke's character. The cast also includes Amy Irving , Billy Crudup and Martha Plimpton.

Easton, a professional actor since he was a teenager in Montreal, Canada, won a Tony Award for best actor in 2001 for his work in another Stoppard play, "The Invention of Love."

ap_100.jpg

Hospital News

Esther Williams Fights Infection

williams_esther.jpg

Esther Williams

LOS ANGELES, California -- Swimming champion turned Hollywood screen icon Esther Williams has been hospitalized for a viral infection but was responding well to treatment, her spokesman said. Williams, 85, was taken to a hospital near her Beverly Hills home on Friday and was expected to remain there another three days, publicist Harlan Boll said.

"She's been responding beautifully to the treatment," Boll said. "In fact she was up just now listening to music in her room." Boll said that the doctors were keeping Williams in the hospital during her treatment out of an abundance of caution because of her age.

A teenage swimming champion, Williams starred in a series of frothy and popular MGM swimming musicals in the 1940s and 50s, including "Bathing Beauty" in 1944 and "Neptune's Daughter" in 1949. She retired from Hollywood in the 1960s and ran a successful swimming pool and fitness business.

• 1 month later...

Reuters100x26.jpg

Accident News

'Prison Break' Actor in Car Crash that Kills Teen

favpicsm.jpg

'Prison Break' Actor Lane Garrison

LOS ANGELES, California -- Actor Lane Garrison of the popular television show, "Prison Break," was in a car accident late on Saturday, December 2 that killed a 17-year-old boy and injured two other teenagers, Beverly Hills police said on Sunday. Garrison plays Tweener on the Fox jailhouse drama.

Garrison, 26, was inside his sport utility vehicle when it crashed into a tree in Beverly Hills at about 11:50 p.m. local time, Sergeant Shan Davis said, adding that police were still investigating which of the car's four occupants was driving and what caused the collision.

Garrison received minor injuries, but a 17-year-old boy was pronounced dead at Cedars Sinai Medical Center following the accident. Two 15-year-old girls were also injured, one critically.

• 1 month later...

ap_100.jpg

Hospital News

Teri Garr Recovers From Surgery

27760TeriGarr.jpg

Teri Garr

Actress Teri Garr, 62, is "recovering nicely" after undergoing surgery to treat a brain aneurysm, her representative said. Garr is recovering from surgery to repair an aneurysm she suffered at her home on December 21, her publicist reported. Doctors expect the actress to make a full recovery, Heidi Schaeffer said.

Garr, who also suffers from multiple sclerosis, is alert and talking, Schaeffer added. "She's alert. She's sitting up. She's talking," according to a statement by her representative. "The prognosis is very, very good."

Things didn't look so positive on the morning of December 21 when Garr's daughter Molly, 13, and a woman who works for the actress couldn't wake Garr up and called 911. Garr

Courtesy of: THE SHOW BUZZ

Lindsay Lohan To Have Appendix Removed

Rep Says She'll Be Recovering For A Few Days But Will Be 'Totally Fine'

NEW YORK, Jan. 4, 2007

(CBS) Lindsay Lohan will have her appendix removed Thursday, her rep confirmed to The ShowBuzz.

"She was not feeling well and went to her doctor," Lohan's publicist, Leslie Sloane-Zelnick, told E Online's Marc Malkin. "She went to the hospital last night and her appendix is being taken out today."

Sloane-Zelnick told Malkin that "she'll be recuperating for a few days but then she will be totally fine."

Lohan was rushed to a hospital in September for a fractured wrist after she fell at Milk Studios in New York where she attending a Fashion week event.

At the time, her publicist told "Access Hollywood" that Lohan slipped while walking in an outdoor area in flat Chanel boots and that "there's a pending investigation," because the actress claims the venue didn't take the necessary precautions to make the ground less slippery.

The actress made headlines recently for admitting that she's been attending Alcoholics Anonymous classes for the past year.

• 2 weeks later...

ap_100.jpg

Rehab News

Lindsay Lohan Checks Into Rehab

lindsay-lohan-39.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

Lindsay Lohan has checked into rehab. "I have made a proactive decision to take care of my personal health. I appreciate your well wishes and ask that you please respect my privacy at this time," said the 20-year-old actress in a statement issued Wednesday through her publicist, Leslie Sloane Zelnick.

Us Weekly reports that Lohan entered the posh Wonderland Center in Los Angeles at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 17, arriving in a sports utility vehicle and clutching a Jamba Juice. Zelnick confirmed to The Associated Press in December that Lohan was attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Lohan told People Magazine then that she had been going to the meetings for a year.

"I haven't had a drink in seven days. Or anything," she said to People. "I'm not even legal to, so why would I? I don't drink when I go to clubs. I drink with my friends at home, but there's no need to. I feel better not drinking. It's more fun. I have Red Bull."

Last July, Lohan was treated for several hours at a Los Angeles area hospital for overheating and dehydration on the set of "Georgia Rule." The actress, whose other screen credits include "Mean Girls," "Bobby," "A Prairie Home Companion" and "Freaky Friday," recently had surgery to remove her appendix.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: ABC NEWS, ENTERTAINMENT

Philbin Says He'll Have Bypass SurgeryTalk-Show Host Regis Philbin Says He'll Have Heart Bypass Surgery This Week

NYET16903121456_sp.jpeg

Regis Philbin arrives for a movie screening on Aug. 1, 2006, in New York. Philbin will have heart bypass surgery this week, he announced Monday, March 12, 2007, on his show, "Live With Regis and Kelly." (AP Photo/ Louis Lanzano)

NEW YORK Mar 12, 2007 (AP)

ap_100.jpg

Hospital News

CNN's Larry King Undergoes Vascular Surgery

king.larry.jpg

Larry King

NEW YORK, New York -- Larry King underwent vascular surgery on Friday, March 16 and was expected to return on Monday, March 19 to his CNN talk show, "Larry King Live." King, 73, was admitted to Cedars Sinai Medical Center where doctors performed carotid endarterectomy surgery, which removes plaque from the carotid artery and can restore blood flow.

"Larry is doing great and he is excited to be back on the air Monday night with an interview with Illinois Democratic Senator and 2008 Presidential hopeful Barak Obama as we mark the fourth anniversary of the Iraq war," said a statement from CNN.

King, host of "Larry King Live," underwent successful quintuple bypass heart surgery in 1987. He recently started a foundation that will cover the cost of cardiac care for about 300 uninsured patients at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.

ap_100.jpg

Recuperating News

Regis Recovers Nicely From Heart Surgery

gm2002.jpg

Regis Philbin

NEW YORK, New York -- Kelly Ripa says Regis Philbin, her co-host on "Live With Regis and Kelly," is in good shape after having heart bypass surgery this week. Ripa said Philbin, 75, came through his surgery on Wednesday, March 14, with flying colors.

"He is already up joking around with the nurses and the doctors and harassing people and picking on people," Ripa said. The doctor "told us what we already knew: that Regis Philbin has the heart of a 19-year-old."

Ripa, 36, said she plans to keep her promise to give Philbin some special attention: a sponge bath. "I'm so thrilled that you're feeling better," she said, "and nursie-poo is coming with her sponge!" MTV's Damien Fahey, who was filling in for Philbin on Thursday's show, had a better idea.

Fahey's rating grabber idea? He suggested, "It would be nice to bathe him on-air, you know what I mean? We replace the desk with a tub, we run some warm water." Ripa replied: "That's the pay-per-view special."

Philbin said on Monday's show that he was having the surgery because "there's some plaque in some arteries and I've got to get it cleaned out."

• 5 months later...

Reuters100x26.jpg

Hospital News

Rock Pioneer Bo Diddley Suffers Heart Attack

84_BoDiddley_L220507.jpg

Rock Pioneer Bo Diddley

GAINESVILLE, Florida -- Ailing rock 'n' roll pioneer Bo Diddley suffered a heart attack while undergoing a medical check-up, and is in stable condition in a Florida hospital, his spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

"The situation is very serious" for Bo Diddley, who suffered a heart attack in Florida on Friday, August 24. The legend's publicist says he fell ill at a doctor's check-up, was moved to intensive care, and is now in stable condition.

The 78-year-old musician, whose distinctive rhythms and guitar style influenced rockers from Buddy Holly to the Rolling Stones and U2, felt unwell during a check-up last Friday at North Florida Regional Medical Center in Gainesville, Florida. He was transferred to the emergency room where he suffered the heart attack, spokeswoman Susan Clary said in a statement.

He underwent surgery so that a stent could be fitted to help blood flow to his heart. He was moved from intensive care to cardiac care on Tuesday morning, Clary said. "He is conscious," she said. "The situation is very serious."

bo-diddley.jpg

Bo Diddley

Diddley, whose real name is Ellas Bates, suffered a stroke in May. It left no physical disability, but it impaired his speech and speech recognition, his manager said at the time. In recent years he also lost some toes to diabetes.

Diddley helped lay the foundation for rock 'n' roll in the mid-1950s when he developed a syncopated "hambone" beat -- known as the "Bo Diddley" beat -- that was aped by Holly on "Not Fade Away," the Who on "Magic Bus," George Michael on "Faith" and U2 on "Desire."

Diddley topped the charts in 1955 with the song, "Bo Diddley" and went on to enjoy such hits as "Mona" (covered by the Rolling Stones), "Who Do You Love" and "I'm A Man." He also cut an imposing figure on stage, sporting a pair of thick spectacles and playing a rectangular guitar.

Diddley was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, alongside bluesman Muddy Waters, and soul icons Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye. But he never received the same sort of mainstream recognition as his peers, and frequently complained that he never received a royalty check.

How's about OWEN WILSON suffers from typical Hollywood Losers Disease. Drugs and depression.

They're all worthless. They don't give us entertainment. All they give us is their weakness for drugs/alcohol and bent political opinions.

Pppffffttttttttttttttttttttttttt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
:party_smilie:You hear Mary Wilson's going to be performing in Sri Lanka? She's such a good person, I love it when celebrities take it upon themselves to help the world. She's doing a program again landmines with an NGO called HDI. It's really impressive when they do these sorts of things because they want to make the world better. I can't think of a better way to win fans over!

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of; ZAP2IT

'Jeopardy!' Host Suffers Heart Attack

Alex Trebek will recover in time to tape shows

December 11, 2007

26164995.jpg

'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek

A: The veteran game show host who had a recent heart attack. Q: Who is Alex Trebek?

The "Jeopardy!" host was hospitalized Tuesday, Dec. 11 after suffering a minor heart attack, reports People.

"He has had a very minor heart attack. He is resting comfortably," says a represetative from the show.

Trebek, 67, suffered the heart attack Monday night (Dec. 10) in Los Angeles. There should not be any interruption from his scheduled tapings resuming in January. He's been the host of "Jeopardy!" since September of 1984.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Zac Efron Rushed to Hospital

Actor is recovering from surgery

January 15, 2008

32166079.jpg

Zac Efron

OMG! There's going to be a little less Zac Efron to go around from now on.

The "High School Musical" heartthrob was rushed to Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Tuesday (Jan. 15) suffering from appendicitis, reports TMZ.com.

"He had his appendix removed and is recuperating," says the actor's rep.

The removal of the vestigial organ comes on the heels of the announcement that Efron, along with his five other "HSM" castmates, will return for the third film in the popular Disney franchise.

Efron, 20, is best known for playing the singing and basketball-playing Troy Bolton in the "HSM" films. On the big screen, he stars in "Hairspray" and is attached to take on Kevin Bacon's role in the remake of "Footloose" in addition to filming the comedy "17" opposite Michelle Trachtenberg.

Lobby

Lobby

Please enter your display name