Celebrity Ailments

salter-path

Guest Katarina

I just heard about that today but I'm not that familiar with her as an artist. I do feel for her and so many others who are suffering from all forms of cancer.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minogue to undergo breast cancer surgery this week.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Pop diva    Kylie Minogue is undergoing medical tests in the Australian city of Melbourne in preparation for breast cancer surgery later this week, her management said in a statement on Thursday. Initial tests showed the cancer was confined to the breast.

Being and Aussie, I grew up with her on soaps. Her sister Danni, was married to Julian McMahon, for a short spell. I wish her well.

Was she on Neighbours?
Yes she was, her sister was on Home and Away for a short time. Kylie was on Neighbours for many years. That's where she started out.

Guest ranster627

Did I surprise you knowing that one??? We had that show airing in Canada for quite a few years and then it just faded away ... but I loved it!

Gilligan's Ticker Trouble

By Sarah Hall

040213denver.jpg

The Skipper's "little buddy" is recovering from some big ticker trouble.

Bob Denver, who played the goofy title character in the '60s sitcom Gilligan's Island, is resting at his West Virginia home after recently undergoing quadruple heart bypass surgery, his agent, Mike Eisenstadt, said Wednesday.

Denver, 70, had the surgery following a checkup that revealed problems, Eisenstadt said. The actor played the clumsy Gilligan on the series for 98 episodes between 1964-67. After the show wrapped, Denver went on to play Rufus Butterworth in the series, The Good Guys from 1968-70. He also took roles in a number of made-for-TV movies and most recently appeared in 2004's Miss Castaway on USA.

Denver broke into acting playing television's first beatnik, Maynard G. Krebs, in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis from 1959-63. Before he decided to take on Hollywood, he worked as a mailman and a high school teacher.

These days, Denver resides with his wife, Dreama, in the remote town of Princeton, where they have lived since the early '90s. However, moving to the sticks didn't mean dropping off the map for Denver.

In 1998, Denver made headlines after he was busted for misdemeanor marijuana possession after police intercepted about 35 grams of pot in a parcel en route to the actor's abode. Authorities later found an additional 10 grams inside his home. Denver eventually pleaded no contest to the charges and was sentenced to six months' of unsupervised probation.

Ashley Judd's Bus Gutted in Ark. Fire

ashleyjudd3lh.jpg

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A fire gutted the luxury bus Ashley Judd was using during the shooting of an independent film in Arkansas, officials said Wednesday.

Judd and hundreds of extras were shooting a nightclub scene Monday for the movie "Come Early Morning" at the Hollywood Country Club when the blaze broke out, said Joe Glass, of the state Department of Economic Development's film office. The bus was parked outside the club.

No one was injured, but damage to the rental bus was estimated at $500,000. A member of the film's production company told sheriff's deputies he left a candle burning inside the bus. The candle touched off the fire, Fire Chief Randy Blakey said.

Judd stars in the film about a small town woman who has never committed to a serious relationship. Shooting began in April and is scheduled to wrap Saturday. The film is to debut in January at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah.

• 2 weeks later...

Kelly Osbourne has checked herself back into a drug treatment centre, only a year after completing a successful stint in rehab.

The 20-year-old daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, checked into Pasadena, California's Las Encinas hospital on Thursday, according to American magazine Us Weekly. A friend tells the publication, "She's going to be in for a couple of weeks. She's slipped into some of her old problems and is not doing so well. Everyone is supporting her." Another source adds, "Friends are concerned, but know that she's strong and that she's pulled through before and will this time as well."

In April of 2004 Osbourne spent time at Promises, a treatment centre in Malibu, California, for her well documented addiction to prescription painkillers. Her brother Jack and father Ozzy have both battled drug addiction. A representative says, "Kelly is in a facility dealing with some personal issues. She'll be back in a few weeks."

• 2 months later...

E! Online

Singer Marc Cohn Shot in Denver

MarcCohn.jpg

Marc Cohn

Marc Cohn may like to walk in Memphis, but it will be a while before he takes a stroll anywhere near downtown Denver. The "Walking in Memphis" singer was shot Sunday, August 7 in the mile-high city, according to the Denver Police department. Per a DPD statement released on August 8, Cohn was shot in the head late August 7 during an attempted carjacking near the city's convention center.

Cohn is said to be recovering after doctors successfully removed a bullet from his temple. The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter, who is married to ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas, is expected to make a full recovery. Vargas is in Colorado with her husband, who has already been released from Denver's Health Medical Center.

"All of us at ABC News are thinking of Marc and Elizabeth at this time and wish Marc a speedy recovery," an ABC News publicist said in a statement released to E! Monday. "The good news is that he will be fine. Elizabeth has made her way to Denver to be with Marc, and they are likely to return to New York soon."

Cohn, who was in Denver to play a sold-out concert at the city's botanical gardens, was shot by a man named Joseph Yachteen, according to police. Police have released a picture of the suspect, in addition to the license-plate number of the car he was last seen in, to local media--they hope to have him in custody soon.

marccohn.jpg

Marc Cohn

Yachteen is suspected of attempting to carjack Cohn's vehicle. The 25-year-old allegedly fired a shot into the singer's rented van in the process of the unsuccessful vehicle boost, grazing the driver (Cohn's road manager Thomas Dube) and seriously injuring Cohn after they refused to unlock the van door for the suspect.

Both Dube and Cohn were treated and released for their respective bullet wounds after driving away from the armed suspect. Cops nearly arrested Yachteen on August 7 for crimes allegedly committed earlier that same day, but he slipped away by fleeing on Denver's Stout Street, which intersects with the city's 16th Street Mall.

He was last seen carjacking a Subaru Forester at 14th and Stout, where he allegedly forced four white males out of the car. An arrested warrant has been issued for Yachteen, who is wanted for first-degree murder and multiple aggravated robbery charges.

Cohn, who rose to fame in 1991 after his eponymously titled Atlantic Records debut clicked with fans and critics alike, hopes to rejoin his current tour with Suzanne Vega as soon as he recovers--perhaps even by Thursday when the tour stops in Chicago. If Cohn is unable to rejoin the tour, he said he'll do his best to reschedule the missed gigs.

Associated Press

Grammy Winner Marc Cohn Shot in Head

the-rainy-season.jpg

Marc Cohn

A Grammy-winning musician and husband of ABC news reporter Elizabeth Vargas was treated at a hospital and released on August 8 after being shot in the head during an attempted carjacking following a performance. Marc Cohn, who had a hit with the song "Walking in Memphis" and won the Grammy for best new artist in 1992, was struck in the temple on August 7 when a man fired into his band's van in a parking garage. A suspect was being sought.

Police spokesman Sonny Jackson said the bullet appeared to have been slowed by the van's windshield and by striking the vehicle's driver first. "Frankly, I can't tell you how he survived," Jackson said. Cohn was alert and talking when emergency workers took him to the hospital from the concert site at Botanic Gardens. The bullet grazed Cohn's driver and tour manager Thomas Dube, who also was treated and released.

No arrests were made, but police identified a suspect. Joseph W. Yacteen, 26, allegedly tried to stop Cohn's van in the parking garage after allegedly fleeing a downtown hotel on the evening of August 7, where he had tried to pay his bill with a stolen credit card. Police said Yacteen fired one bullet into the van after Dube, who saw that he had a gun, sped up and swerved trying to avoid Yacteen. The van was carrying four people at the time.

Yacteen also allegedly fired several shots while fleeing security guards and trying to take a car from a woman. He eventually disappeared in a stolen SUV. Yacteen is being sought on attempted first-degree murder, robbery and other charges. Authorities said he missed a court date July 15 on a drug and weapons charge.

Access Hollywood

Man Arrested In Grammy Winner Shooting

cohn_access.jpg

Marc Cohn

A man suspected of shooting Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Marc Cohn during an attempted carjacking was arrested after a 5 1/2-hour standoff with police. Cohn, who had a hit with the song "Walking in Memphis" and won the Grammy for best new artist in 1992, was shot in the temple late August 7 when a man fired into his band's van in a parking garage.

Cohn, who is married to ABC news reporter Elizabeth Vargas, was treated at a hospital and released August 8. He canceled the remaining five stops on his tour with Suzanne Vega. The bullet grazed Cohn's driver and tour manager Thomas Dube, who also was treated and released. Police spokesman Sonny Jackson said the bullet appeared to have been slowed by the van's windshield and by Dube before hitting Cohn. "Frankly, I can't tell you how he survived," Jackson said.

Police arrested Joseph William Yacteen late August 8 outside a vacant house where had holed up for hours, negotiating with police. The standoff ended when he was forced out by tear gas, pointed a gun at officers and was shot with a non-lethal rubber ball, Jackson said.

Yacteen allegedly tried to stop Cohn's van after allegedly fleeing a downtown hotel where he had tried to pay his bill with a stolen credit card. Dube, who saw that he had a gun, sped up and swerved trying to avoid Yacteen, police said, and Yacteen fired one shot into the van. The van was carrying four people at the time.

cohn_mic.jpg

Marc Cohn

Yacteen also allegedly fired several shots while fleeing security guards and trying to take a car from a woman. He eventually disappeared in a stolen SUV, before being located at the vacant house, authorities said. Yacteen, 26, was being held on suspicion of attempted murder, robbery and other charges. In addition, an arrest warrant had been issued after he missed a court hearing July 15 in a drug and weapons charge.

Cohn, who has often specialized in songs of loss and longing, said in a 1998 Associated Press interview that he had learned to focus on his family and his music instead of the pursuit of success. "I'm less obsessed today and (music) means more to me," he said. "I take it less for granted."

When he won the best new artist Grammy in 1992, Cohn was also nominated for song of the year and best male pop vocalist, both for "Walking in Memphis." "I didn't consider there would be more than one; if anything, it would be best new artist," he said at the time. "To get three is pretty great." Among his albums are "Marc Cohn," "The Rainy Season" and "Burning the Daze."

• 2 weeks later...

ap_100.jpg

Courtney Love Ordered Into Rehab

courtney01.jpg

Courtney Love

Courtney Love tearfully admitted using drugs in violation of her probation terms August 19. She was in court for allegedly being under the influence of a controlled substance, which wasn't identified. The rocker-actress was ordered into a 28-day drug treatment program by a judge who said he had wanted to put her in jail.

"I think that you need to hit rock bottom before you make a decision about what you're going to do in the future," Superior Court Judge Rand Rubin told the sobbing Love. Love's voice cracked as she said, "Yes, your honor," when asked by Rubin if she understood she was admitting to three probation violations. She is on probation in three separate cases.

Ironically, the actress garnered acclaim for her portrayal of a troubled drug addict in 'The People vs. Larry Flynt,' and is the widow of the late Kurt Cobain, lead singer of the band Nirvana, with whom she has a daughter, Frances Bean. The 41-year-old Love was told to enter a drug treatment facility by the end of the day. Her attorney, Howard Weitzman, wouldn't disclose the name of the facility or whether it was a lock-down program.

love_frances.jpg

Courtney Love at an event with her

daughter, Frances Bean Cobain.

The judge ordered her back to court September 16 for sentencing on the probation violations. "There will be sentencing and some further consequences at that time," Rubin said. "I think you either need a long-term drug program or a long term in County Jail."

Outside court, Weitzman said Love had had a relapse but will "deal with it." "She's serious. She's sincere. And she's pretty tenacious about getting her life in order." Weitzman said. The lawyer explained Love had violated terms of probation in one case but that "if you violate in one you violate in all."

Love, the former lead singer for the band Hole, pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor assault charge on February 10. She was already on probation in two unrelated drug cases. Earlier this month, the judge issued a bench warrant for Love's arrest, but he agreed to hold it pending the hearing on August 19.

courtney_love4.jpg

Courtney Love

At a red carpet event this month, Love said: "I'm clean and sober for over a year and no one seems to care! They're like, 'Oh, her dramatic weight gain.' So, stop making fun of me!" Unfortunately, making fun of Love was a major focus at a recently taped "Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson" where the often lewd antics and erratic behavior of Love overshadowed the subject of the televised special.

After repeated jokes and jabs at the lack of Love's sobriety, the addictive musician continually proclaimed her innocence to the crowd. At one point, toastmaster comedian Jimmy Kimmel shot back at the wisecracking Love, "If this is you clean and sober, then you have bigger problems than drugs." Her unpredictable conduct can be reviewed several times this month as Comedy Central repeats the Pamela Anderson Toast including one uncensored version airing Saturday, August 20.

In July, a judge praised the singer for making progress in a court-ordered drug treatment program. The treatment is tied to a misdemeanor count of being under the influence of a controlled substance in 2003 when police alleged she tried to break into a former boyfriend's home.

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Eminem Enters Rehab

eminem025.jpg

Eminem

Two days after deep-sixing his European tour citing "exhaustion," Eminem has confirmed through his publicist that he is in drug rehabilitation. The Grammy-winning rapper "is in the hospital under doctors' care," Interscope Records spokesman Dennis Dennehy said in a brief statement August 18. "He is being treated for dependency on sleep medication."

No further details were released. However, Star magazine reported that the rapper had checked in to a facility in his native Michigan. Eminem has rapped about the wonders of LSD, has reportedly popped Ecstasy and even has a Vicodin tattoo, but he had claimed to have reformed his bad-boy lifestyle over the past few years.

On August 16, Dennehy released a statement announcing the cancellation of the 10-date European leg of the rapper's "Anger Management 3" tour. At the time, Dennehy would only say the 32-year-old rapper nixed the trip due to "exhaustion, complicated by other medical issues" and that he was being treated for the undisclosed maladies.

LP0936Eminem-Knuckleduster_M.jpg

Eminem

The European sojourn was set to kick off September 1 in Hamburg and wrap September 17 in Dublin. The dates won't likely be rescheduled. Eminem had finished the U.S. run of the tour, which also featured 50 Cent, Lil Jon and members of the G-Unit crew, August 13 in his hometown of Detroit. The trek had been marred by a major bus accident en route to Denver July 13, in which several members of the tour, including Eminem's deejay, were hospitalized.

News of Eminem's rehab stint comes amid some other trouble for the rapper. After having weathered salvos from his mother, grandmother and ex-wife, Eminem now faces a lawsuit from his aunt and uncle, Betty and Jack Schmitt, who claim he is trying to evict them from a house he had built for them and renegged on a promise to pay them a yearly stipend of $100,000. In their suit filed Aug. 12 in Michigan's Macomb County Court, the couple are seeking $350,000 in cash and ownership of the property, according to documents posted at the Smoking Gun.

In July, the Detroit Free Press reported the rapper otherwise known as Marshall Mathers III would be retiring from recording and performing following the European tour and instead focus on producing other artists. But Mathers angrily dismissed the report, telling MTV.com, "When I say I'm taking a break, I'm taking a break from my music to go in the studio and produce my other artists and put their albums out. When I know my next move, I'll tell everyone my next move."

eminem113.jpg

Eminem

If indeed he retires, he will go out as the best selling hip-hop artist of all time. His four solo studio albums--1999's "The Slim Shady LP," 2000's "The Marshall Mathers LP," 2002's "The Eminem Show" and "Encore"--have moved more than 25 million copies in the U.S. alone and generated sales of more than $1 billion.

He's also won nine Grammys to go along with his Best Song Oscar for the "8 Mile" track "Lose Yourself." As an A&R man for his Shady Records, he guided 50 Cent's monster-selling debut release, "Get Rich or Die Tryin'," and has shepherded releases for his G-Unit posse and his Detroit rap crew D12.

• 1 month later...

eonlinesmlogo.jpg

'Hustle & Flow' Stars Survive JetBlue Scare

by Charlie Amter

Taryn-Manning.jpgdjqualls_150x200.jpg

'Hustle & Flow's' Taryn Manning and DJ Qualls

On almost any New York-bound plane out of the Los Angeles area, chances are a celebrity will be on board. The ill-fated JetBlue Flight 292 was no exception. "Hustle & Flow" stars Taryn Manning and DJ Qualls were among the 145 passengers and crew on the plane en route from Burbank's Bob Hope Airport to New York's JFK Wednesday, September 21 that was forced to make an emergency landing due to defective landing gear.

"Yesterday was a life changing day," Manning said in a statement released by her publicist. "The pilot is a true hero. I'm thankful to be alive." In an interview with "Access Hollywood," Manning said she, Qualls and her publicist were heading to New York to promote "Hustle & Flow."

The actress-singer said the pilot notified the passengers early on that there was a problem and the plane would have to land at Los Angeles International Airport. "You never think it is going to happen to you," she said. "I wrote little notes to my boyfriend and to my mom and brother . . . I was not wanting to be writing what I was writing. Everybody was putting their IDs on them. It was scary."

tuc_watkins.jpg

'One Life to Live's' Tuc Watkins

Manning and Qualls were not the only Hollywood types on board. "One Life to Live" actor Tuc Watkins was heading to New York. He plans to recount his harrowing experience on "The View" on Friday, September 23. Meanwhile, Manning appeared on "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" on Thursday, September 22 and still appeared visibly shaken from her ordeal.

Early reports claimed that "Nip/Tuck" star Kelly Carlson (Kimber) was also a passenger on the hobbled jet, but FX tells E! she was not on the flight. In a drama that played out live on television across the United States on the afternoon of Wednesday, September 21, the Airbus A320 jet circled the skies of Southern California before touching down at LAX with a front wheel facing the wrong direction.

Manning, Qualls and the other passengers had access to MSNBC and Fox News via JetBlue's in-flight TVs, with many watching their plane and hearing various commentators predicting the outcome of the emergency landing. The sets went dark about 15 minutes before the plane descended.

jetblue_375.jpg

JetBlue flight 292 makes a safe emergency landing at LAX with faulty

landing gear. The craft circled the region for three hours with its front

wheels turned sideways, unable to be retracted into the plane. The pilot

landed by balancing on the back wheels, then easing onto the front tires,

which shot flames along the runway before tearing off.

"We couldn't believe the irony, that we were watching our own demise on TV--it was post-post-modern," passenger Alexandra Jacobs, a reporter for the New York Observer told CNN. Manning described it to host Craig Ferguson as "surreal." She said she had to turn her TV off because it was too much to handle. Her publicist, who is also her best friend, was sitting across the aisle from her and only reported the good reports as they came across her TV monitor.

Because the plane needed to land nose up, the crew ushered passengers and their carry-ons to the rear of the plane. Passengers had to assume the crash position, head between knees, as the Airbus made its final approach. One flight attendant yelled, "Brace! Brace! Brace!"

The pilot, Scott Burke, made a textbook landing on a cleared-out runway, surrounded by emergency vehicles. Qualls was later spotted milling about with fellow passengers, who were shuttled to the main terminal and rerouted to New York.

For her part, Manning tells "Access Hollywood" she has newfound "compassion for anyone who has ever had to go through anything so terrifying." She also gave her praise for the flight attendants of JetBlue while on 'The Late Late Show.' She also had advice for future air travellers, "Pay attention to the preflight instructions. They really know what they are talking about."

ap_100.jpg

Taryn Manning Recalls 'Surreal' Flight

party_taryn_manning.jpg

Taryn Manning

LOS ANGELES, California - Actress Taryn Manning says flying in an airliner that was the subject of a breaking news story she sat watching on TV was the most "out of body experience I ever had."

Manning, who has appeared in such films as "Hustle and Flow," "Crossroads" and "8 Mile," was among 140 passengers on the JetBlue airliner that had to make an emergency landing Wednesday, September 21 at Los Angeles International Airport after its front landing gear became stuck in a sideways position. No one was hurt.

JetBlue airliners have satellite television monitors installed in the backs of their seats so that passengers can watch TV during their flights. "When we saw our plane on TV as 'breaking news' . . . it was the most surreal, out of body experience I ever had," Manning told talk-show host Craig Ferguson during a taping of Ferguson's "The Late Late Show" on Thursday, September 22.

JetBlue2.jpg

JetBlue lands safely at LAX despite landing gear turned sideways.

While the plane circled Southern California for three hours to burn off excess fuel before landing Manning said she, like other passengers, wrote a note to her family. "I just composed a little something so that if anything happened they would know that our last goodbye wasn't on the phone," she said.

The passengers displayed a range of emotions during the ordeal, according to the actress. "A lot of the women of course were crying," she said. "There was a gentleman across the way who was writing in his journal and crying, and seeing that isn't easy."

When the plane finally touched down safely amid a shower of sparks and smoke as its front tire disintegrated, Manning said passengers burst into a deafening round of cheers and applause. "It sounded like Dodger Stadium in there," she said.

• 2 weeks later...

insider_logo76x29.jpg

Lindsay Lohan in Car Crash . . . Again

lindsay-lohan-sick.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

"The Insider's" own Victoria Recano witnessed a traffic accident the afternoon of Tuesday, October 4 involving teen superstar Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay's black Mercedes convertible SL65 collided with a red van on Robertson Blvd. in Beverly Hills at around 4 p.m. Victoria reports she saw Lindsay having lunch at the Ivy restaurant and being surrounded by photographers before exiting and driving down the street where the accident occurred.

The airbags in Lindsay's car were deployed and the "Herbie: Fully Loaded" star and her passenger left the vehicle and sought shelter in a nearby antique store. "They jumped out so fast I believe they left her bag in her car," Victoria said. The man who was driving the van was taken to a hospital. Lindsay was also taken away in a separate ambulance.

This isn't the first traffic mishap for Lindsay. On May 31, the star of "Freaky Friday" was allegedly trying to flee photographers when one of their vehicles struck her car, the LAPD said. She told us her car was "totaled."

"It just got a little out of hand," she said. "I handled it very well and I was very calm about it and people were actually kind of surprised. I'm thankful that my brother and sister weren't in the car."

ap_100.jpg

Lohan Taken to Hospital After Car Crash

llohan.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

Lindsay Lohan and two other people were taken to a hospital Tuesday, October 4 after the actress' black Mercedes-Benz convertible collided with a van in West Hollywood, authorities said. Witnesses said Lohan was trying to avoid paparazzi photographers when the crash occurred.

Lohan and a female passenger in her car suffered minor injuries, said Los Angeles County sheriff's Sgt. Diane Hecht. The driver of the van, which was knocked into a parked vehicle, suffered moderate injuries, Hecht said. The identities of Lohan's passenger and the male driver of the van were not immediately released.

The accident, was witnessed by a number of people, including a reporter for the syndicated television show "The Insider." Victoria Recano, a reporter for "The Insider," told The Associated Press she saw Lohan and a passenger run into an antique store immediately after the collision.

Javier Ramirez, who works at the store, said he recognized Lohan. "She was very upset," Ramirez told the AP. "She kept saying, 'Oh my God, oh my God, I can't believe it.'" Ramirez said Lohan and her passenger left after a few minutes and although both were shaken up, neither appeared badly hurt.

18135699.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

Television news footage showed a badly damaged black Mercedes outside the store with both its driver- and passenger-side air bags inflated. The sheriff's department said the driver of the van appeared to be turning in front of Lohan's car when the vehicles collided. There was no evidence alcohol was involved in the crash, Hecht said in a news release.

Witnesses said dozens of paparazzi photographers had been following Lohan through the area before the crash. At one point, according to Lori Satzberg, 43, several photographers tried to take pictures of Lohan as she shopped at a clothing store. The photographers then followed her outside to her car. "She got into her black Mercedes across the street and they literally were like sitting on her car, trying to take pictures of her, she was like yelling at them to get off," Satzberg said.

The crash was the second one Lohan, 19, has been involved in recent months. Police said the star of such films as "Mean Girls" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded" was attempting to evade a paparazzi photographer in June when the photographer crashed his car into her Mercedes. She suffered cuts and bruises in that crash but did not seek medical attention.

The photographer was arrested for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon. Police said it appeared he deliberately crashed into the actress' vehicle. A new state law signed Friday allows victims of paparazzi assaults to file lawsuits seeking up to three times the damages they suffered. The law goes into effect January 1.

eonlinesmlogo.jpg

Lohan Bends Her Benz

050722_lindsay_lohan_3.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

Lindsay Lohan could have used a little bit of that "Love Bug" magic Tuesday, October 4. As it was, the "Herbie: Fully Loaded" star could not avoid a messy car crash in West Hollywood that left her and two others hospitalized.

Lohan, 19, was behind the wheel of her black Mercedes-Benz convertible when it struck a maroon Chevrolet Astro Van shortly before 5 p.m., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. News footage of the scene showed Lohan's Mercedes nearly totaled, with both airbags deployed. The Astro Van was also seriously dinged up.

Victoria Recano, a reporter for "The Insider" and "Entertainment Tonight," was working on a story in the area and witnessed the accident. She said that Lohan was "driving really fast" when her car collided with the other vehicle. Lohan and her passenger, whom Recano identified as the actress' assistant, initially appeared to be unharmed.

Recano said Lohan and her passenger ducked into a nearby antiques store, apparently to avoid paparazzi and TV cameras. However, according to the sheriff's department, Lohan and her passenger were later taken by ambulance to an unnamed hospital for treatment of "minor injuries." The unidentified driver of the van, meanwhile, was rushed to the hospital with "moderate injuries."

lindsay-lohan-car-crash.jpg

Lindsay Lohan sits in her damaged car in a prior accident earlier

this year. She has been involved in three crashes this year.

The sheriff's department is investigating the accident. A spokesman could not say whether any charges would be filed, but said that "alcohol does not appear to be a factor." Lohan's publicist, Leslie Sloane, told E! late Tuesday, October 4 the accident was paparazzi-induced. "This is another example of the paparazzi endangering citizens," she said. Sloane refused to comment further as "the matter is still under investigation."

Per the Los Angeles County Sheriff's incident report, the van driver had been traveling north on Robertson Boulevard in front of Lohan when he apparently made a U-turn to pull into a parking spot and was struck by the actress. His vehicle in turn slammed into a unoccupied white van parked on the street.

Javier Ramirez, an employee at the Hideaway House antiques shop, said Lohan and her passenger darted into his store following the accident. "She was very upset," Ramirez told the Associated Press. "She kept saying, 'Oh my God. Oh my God. I can't believe it.'"

sq-lohan-smithprem.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

According to Recano, Lohan and her companion had been walking near power lunch spot, The Ivy shortly before the crash and had been mobbed by a phalanx of photographers. But Recano said none of the two dozen paparazzi at the restaurant appeared to be chasing the actress at the time of the crash.

This is Lohan's third traffic accident in the past 14 months. On May 31, she suffered minor injuries after a paparazzo intentionally rammed her car, according to police. The incident left Lohan "shaken up and extremely upset," her publicist said in a statement.

Photographer Galo Ramirez was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and released on $35,000 bail. He is awaiting trial. And in February, Lohan was sued by two Los Angeles residents for rear-ending them in August 2004 and leaving them with continuing "pain, discomfort and physical disability." That suit is pending.

AH_logo_100x50.jpg

Other Driver In Lohan Crash Speaks Out

lindsay-lohan.jpg

Lindsay Lohan

Lindsay Lohan, whose car crash in May led to a state law aimed at reining in celebrity photographers, has crashed again, this time after witnesses said she was swarmed by paparazzi. Lindsay and a female passenger suffered minor injuries Tuesday, October 4 after the actress' Mercedes-Benz convertible collided with a van.

Lindsay was spending her day having lunch at the Ivy Restaurant and shopping on Robertson Blvd. in Beverly Hills. She also spent part of the day dodging the paparazzi. Witnesses said Lindsay had been shopping at a clothing store when she was confronted, and that dozens of photographers had been following her before the crash.

"There were about 30 photographers outside covering the store; the poor girl just was shopping and they were just like hounding her," said Lori Satzberg, 43. "She got into her black Mercedes across the street and they literally were like sitting on her car, trying to take pictures of her, she was like yelling at them to get off," said Satzberg, who was shopping with her 13-year-old daughter.

bent_benz.jpg

The black Mercedes-Benz convertible driven by Lindsay

Lohan with its air bags deployed is seen on Robertson

Boulevard in West Hollywood.

However, on Wednesday, October 5, the sheriff's department released a statement saying that paparazzi were, in fact, not a factor in the accident. "Preliminary investigations have revealed that paparazzi were not a factor in the traffic collision, and the matter is being handled as a traffic collision only," the statement said.

In addition, Access Hollywood spoke to the man who was driving the other vehicle involved. Raymundo Ortega told Access' Lizza Monet Morales that he was looking for a parking place on his way to work as a busboy at the Newsroom Cafe when his van was struck by Lindsay's black Mercedes. The impact caused his van to collide with a white parked van.

"I didn't know it was her, I didn't recognize her," Ortega said. "All I knew was that she was driving really fast. I mean, she had to be going at least 75 miles an hour. All she needed was wings for the car to fly." Ortega added, "I imagine if I had hit someone, I am going to ask them right away if the other person is OK. But she did not do that with me."

Hideaway_House.jpg

The scene of the accident showed the skid marks from

Lindsay Lohan's car in front of Hideaway House Antiques.

"There was just this gigantic, huge explosive sound like a bomb going off," eyewitness Katherine Starr told Access. Starr said, "You could actually hear the airbags exploding, and then in that split second . . . Lindsay Lohan obviously, ran into the Hideaway Antiques Store."

Paramedics arrived at Hideaway House Antiques and checked Lindsay's vital signs. While in the store, Lindsay was bleeding, and stained a $5200 French walnut chair. According to Javier Ramirez, who works in the store, Lindsay was extremely shaken up. "She was very upset," said Ramirez. "She kept saying, 'Oh my God, oh my God, I can't believe it.'"

Lindsay and the female passenger in her car were taken to nearby Cedars Sinai for examination. Ortega was also taken by ambulance to Cedars, where x-rays were taken. He was released with what he says is a sore neck. Both cars were towed and according to police, there was no evidence alcohol was involved in the crash.

love_bug158x200.jpghideaway150x200.jpg

Lindsay Lohan's black Mercedes-Benz convertible took the

brunt of the impact in front of Hideaway House Antiques.

Access heard from another eyewitness, "I think that maybe the paparazzi caused this because she was speeding, trying to run away from all the pictures." According to eyewitnesses, Lindsay was followed by paparazzi all afternoon, but this is nothing new for Lindsay. Back in May, she was involved in a traffic accident with her same car, avoiding a photographer.

That crash was credited with prompting passage of a measure Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law on Friday calling for steep financial penalties for paparazzi who commit assaults in their efforts to obtain celebrity photos. The new law allows victims of paparazzi assaults to file lawsuits seeking up to three times the damages they suffered. The law goes into effect January 1.

Shortly after that first accident, Lindsay spoke to our Billy Bush about it. "I understand that that's their job and it's always gonna be there to an extent, but when you're running someone off the road, that's a little bit much," she said.

• 2 weeks later...

ap_100.jpg

Tommy Lee Burned During Concert

sq-tommylee-blk-05.jpg

Tommy Lee

Tommy Lee was burned Wednesday, October 12 when a pyrotechnics stunt went wrong at a Motley Crue concert in Casper, Wyoming. Lee was taken to a hospital for treatment, but wasn't badly hurt, said Sgt. Doug Beran of the Casper Police Department. Beran declined to discuss details of Lee's injuries, citing privacy considerations.

The 43-year-old drummer, who was injured toward the end of the band's set, played one more song before the concert was cut short, Beran said. Tom Morton, a reporter for the Casper Star-Tribune, said Lee appeared to be injured when sparks began flying as he swung above the stage suspended from a wire, back and forth among several drum sets.

Another witness, Del Kinswoman, described the pyrotechnics as Roman candles. A spokeswoman for the Wyoming Medical Center said she had no information on Lee. The rocker's Los Angeles-based publicist didn't immediately return a phone message left on the morning of Thursday, October 13.

There is no word about pending Motley Crue concert dates. Motley Crue had performances scheduled for Friday, October 14 in Bismarck, North Dakota; Saturday, October 15 in Rapid City, South Dakota and Sunday, October 16 in Sioux City, Iowa, according to their Web site.

This isn't the first time pyrotechnics were involved in a concert mishap. Pyrotechnics were also to blame in the death of 100 people in February 2003 when they sparked a blaze at a West Warwick, Rhode Island, club where rock band Great White was performing.

• 1 month later...

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Brooke Burns Hospitalized

brooke_burns_200_111492a.jpg

Brooke Burns

Former "Baywatch" beauty Brooke Burns is in a Los Angeles hospital after suffering a fractured neck bone in a pool mishap last week. But the actress is expected to make a full recovery and "be back to normal" in a few weeks, her manager, Barbara Stark, tells E! News.

Stark says that Burns was swimming at her home late last Thursday, November 10 when the accident occurred. Burns dove into the pool, but misjudged the depth and hit her head on the bottom resulting in the injury.

Burns, 27, sustained a "slight fracture in one of her neck bones," Stark says, but did not suffer a broken neck or spinal injury. The actress is hoping to be discharged from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center by Tuesday, November 15. "She is very blessed and very lucky," says Stark.

brucewillis_brookeburns_radiomusicawards

Bruce Willis and Brooke Burns heated up the pages

of the tabloids with their steamy romance in 2004.

Burns rose to fame as a star on "Baywatch" from 1998 to 2000. She also starred in Fox's short-lived 2004 beach-based TV drama, "North Shore." Her feature credits include "Shallow Hal" and "Single White Female 2."

The Dallas-born beauty is also known for her off-screen liaisons. She has a five-year-old daughter with ex-husband, Julian McMahon (of "Nip/Tuck" fame), and her relationship with Bruce Willis, which lasted 10 months before ending in 2004, earned her plenty of face time in the glossies.

Stark says Burns will be good to go by January, when she's slated to begin filming the WB midseason replacement show, "Pepper Dennis" with Rebecca Romijn.

• 1 month later...

ap_100.jpg

Schwarzenegger Hurt in Motorcycle Mishap

arnold_schwarzenegger_z3.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger

LOS ANGELES, California - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger received 15 stitches in his lip Sunday, January 8, after he and his 12-year-old son were involved in a motorcycle accident near their home, his spokeswoman said.

Schwarzenegger was riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle with his son Patrick in the sidecar when another driver backed into the street, spokeswoman Margita Thompson said in a statement. "The governor was unable to avoid the vehicle in his path and collided with it at a low speed," she said.

Schwarzenegger and his son were treated for cuts and bruises at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica and released, Thompson said. Both were wearing helmets at the time, she said. They were recovering at home Sunday night.

The other driver was not injured. No citations were issued in the accident in the city's Brentwood section, said Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman. The governor was expected to keep his appointments on Monday, January 9.

In December 2001, Schwarzenegger broke six ribs and was hospitalized for four days after a motorcycle crash in Los Angeles. The accident occurred when a car stopped in front of him and he was unable to change lanes to avoid the vehicle.

Schwarzenegger's ribs were broken when his chest hit the motorcycle windshield. "It was very painful, much more painful than the heart surgery," he said at the time, referring to an operation he had in 1997 to replace a heart valve. "A rib breaking is like the worst."

• 3 weeks later...

ap_100.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix Uninjured in Car Crash

cash.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix in 'Walk the Line'

Joaquin Phoenix's car overturned on a canyon road and collided with another vehicle after his brakes went out, but there were no reports of injury, police said. Phoenix, the 31-year-old star of the Johnny Cash biopic, "Walk the Line," was driving eastbound above Sunset Strip about 2:50 p.m. when he realized his brakes were not working, said Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman.

Phoenix lost control of his car, which overturned and hit another vehicle also headed eastbound, Lee said. His publicist, Susan Patricola, said in a statement that Phoenix was wearing his seat belt and walked away from the scene after being helped out of his vehicle by a passer-by.

Earlier this month, Phoenix won a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for portraying country legend Johnny Cash. Phoenix is nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award, which will be handed out Sunday. Patricola told Us Weekly magazine that he will be at the awards ceremony despite the car accident.

ap_100.jpg

Iraq Blast Injures ABC Anchor and Cameraman

by David Bauder

anchor.jpgcamera.jpg

Bob Woodruff, left, and Cameraman Doug Vogt, right, were seriously

injured in an attack and explosion in Iraq

NEW YORK, New York - "ABC News" co-anchor Bob Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt were seriously injured Sunday, January 29, in an attack and explosion while reporting from Iraq. The two journalists were traveling with U.S. and Iraqi troops near Taji, about 12 miles north of Baghdad, when an improvised explosive device went off, "ABC News" President David Westin said.

Both Woodruff and Vogt suffered serious head injuries and were taken into surgery at a U.S. military hospital in the area, the network said. It was reported that Woodruff and Vogt were wearing body armor and helmets.

The two had been embedded with the 4th Infantry Division and were traveling with an Iraqi Army unit. The Iraqi mechanized vehicle they were riding in is considered more dangerous than U.S. vehicles. ABC said the two were traveling that way to get the perspective of the Iraqi military.

The U.S. military confirmed that Woodruff and Vogt were injured in an attack near Taji and said an investigation is under way. "They were with an Iraqi Army unit at the time the attack occurred and are at a U.S. military medical facility now," U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Barry Johnson said.

woodruff.jpg

ABC News Co-Anchor Bob Woodruff

Woodruff, 44, became co-anchor of ABC News' "World News Tonight" with Elizabeth Vargas earlier this month, replacing the late Peter Jennings. In an unusual approach to evening news shows, one of the two co-anchors frequently reports from the studio in New York while the other reports from the field, as Woodruff was doing in Iraq.

Last week, Woodruff spent three days in Israel reporting on the outcome of the Palestinian elections. He was to have been in Iraq through the State of the Union address on Tuesday, January 31, according to ABC.

Woodruff, a father of four, grew up in Michigan and became a corporate lawyer in New York. He took a leave of absence to teach at a school in China, helped "CBS News" during the Tiananmen Square uprising and became hooked on journalism. He has since covered the Justice Department and reported from Iraq, Afghanistan, Belgrade and Kosovo.

"When I realized there was a job that existed in this world where I could be in the middle of huge world events and actually get paid for it, it was an epiphany for me," Woodruff told The Associated Press in a recent interview.

vogt.jpg

Cameraman Doug Vogt

Doug Vogt, 46, is a three-time Emmy award-winning cameraman from Canada, with 25 years as a professional cameraman, the last 20 based in Europe covering global events for CBC, BBC and now exclusively for "ABC News." He lives in Aix-en-Provence, France.

Dozens of journalists have been injured, killed or kidnapped in Iraq since the war began. The most visible among the American TV reporters was David Bloom of "NBC News," who died from an apparent blood clot while traveling south of Baghdad on April 6, 2003.

Another journalist, Jill Carroll, a freelance reporter for The Christian Science Monitor, was kidnapped by gunmen on January 7 and is being held in Iraq. Some 250 foreigners have been taken captive since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein, and at least 39 have been killed.

• 2 weeks later...

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

3 Doors Singer Downed

3_doors_down_195924c.jpg

Brad Arnold

Forget Kryptonite, 3 Doors Down needs to worry more about wet roads. Frontman Brad Arnold is recovering at home in Biloxi, Mississippi, after suffering major injuries resulting from a car wreck earlier this month, per a posting on the band's Website.

Arnold, 27, was riding shotgun and his wife, Terika, was driving on a rural Mississippi highway during a driving rain storm on February 1, when she lost control and skidded off the road.

"They were coming back from a casino, hit some kind of water on the road," band mate Todd Harrell told The Associated Press in an interview. "The car hydroplaned, went down a high embankment and they hit a tree. I guess if Brad hadn't been wearing his seatbelt, he'd probably be dead now."

sq_brad_arnold_050501.jpg

Brad Arnold

According to the band's site, Arnold sustained several severe lacerations and bruises but is expected to make a full recovery. Harnell said that Arnold received "35 or 40 stitches in the side of his face," but that his wife somehow managed to escape injury in the crash. No other cars were involved in the incident.

"He had a plastic surgeon come in and work on him, sewed his ear back on," Harell said. "He's going to be all right. He was hit hard, though."

The band, which has sold more than 12 million records during its career, had been on the road in support of its chart-topping 2005 release, Seventeen Days. Due to the accident, several shows have been either scrapped or indefinitely postponed.

With Arnold waylaid, the band isn't ready to announce make-up dates or whether it will proceed with a European tour scheduled for next month.

• 1 month later...

ap_100.jpg

Talk Show Host Charlie Rose Undergoes Heart Surgery

rose.jpg

Charlie Rose

Talk show host Charlie Rose underwent heart surgery on Wednesday, March 29 in Paris and will be away from his show for several weeks to recuperate. He was in intensive care. Rose, anchor and executive editor of PBS's "The Charlie Rose Show," had mitral valve repair surgery, according to Howard Rubenstein, a spokesman for the television anchor.

Rose, 64, experienced shortness of breath last week while in Syria to interview President Bashar Assad and went to Paris for treatment, according to Rubenstein. The mitral valve connects the upper left chamber with the heart's main pumping chamber. If it leaks or narrows, surgery may be need to repair or replace the valve.

Rose was admitted to The Georges-Pompidou European Hospital on Saturday, March 25, a day after he was examined by cardiologists there, Rubenstein said in a faxed statement. After consulting with his own cardiologist in New York, Rose flew on Friday, March 24 to Paris from Syria where he had been on location for his television program.

Rubenstein said he talked with Rose on Tuesday, and that he had "sounded real good." He is expected to recuperate in Paris before returning to New York. His doctors expect him to be back at work by the end of April.

In the meantime, his program will be hosted by various journalists and foreign policy experts chosen by his staff. "The Charlie Rose Show" airs on more than 200 PBS affiliates around the United States.

Lobby

Lobby

Please enter your display name