Sign in to follow this  
Baron

The Gold Stars (worth $20,000 / $50,000)

BTW...... Who was it in this forum that suggested that by the end the kids would each be awarded a gold star for their efforts in making Bonanza City a success? Sorry I can't recall.

Ummm.....I think it was ME!!!!!! :pixiedust:

:giggle:

Boy, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today. Hey, I'm one of the good guys, and if you haven't been able to make that determination based on my posts and significant positive contribution to this forum, well, consider getting up on the other side of the bed :animated_bouncy: . Anybody can post 1-2 liners all day and not say Jack. If you have a problem with what I'm posting, then come out and say so either publicly or privately; I can take the heat and acknowledge other points of views. I am not here to cause problems and my very long history of posts demonstrates that. I always play nice, but do so in a way that adds some "life" to the forum. This is not a very formal English tea party where everyone needs to be extremely polite to the point of boredom. I am very good at what I do, and what I do is healthy for this forum. Yes, I am THAT good! :)

The Joe Shmoe show is on DVD for those who have not seen it, or want to relive it all over again. If you have not seen it, trust me, it truly is one of the very best reality TV series ever made.

I don't agree with every thing Mr echo states, but I second this remark. It is very entertaining. Too bad they couldn't keep doing it.

BTW...... Who was it in this forum that suggested that by the end the kids would each be awarded a gold star for their efforts in making Bonanza City a success? Sorry I can't recall.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. Has it been confirmed that every kid will get a gold star?

Baron wrote

I am not sure what you are getting at here. Has it been confirmed that every kid will get a gold star?

Not yet, but I fully expect we shall see it happen tonight<insert evil laugh here>. :animated_bouncy:

I expect the way that it will be handled the individual Gold Stars will be earned, not simply handed to them as some kind of "parting gift" for have talked into the camera over the course of 40 days. You did make a valid point a few weeks back that simply giving it to them without having earned it makes the show seem rather pointless. At that time, I had not consider that point, so I thought it through a bit more and came to a simlar conclusion.

We've been posting about these gold stars and how each child should or shouldn't get one. Well, in just a few hours we'll all know how its going to end. :animated_bouncy:

If not every child gets a gold star thats ok too. I still think the children should get more than $5,000.00. JMHO :pixiedust:

What a great great ending to a great show!!!!!!! I really have enjoyed it and lets hope for some more Kid Nations!!!!

Well, I didn't think the ending was so great, but that's just me. Still looking forward to more seasons!

Hey, echo, you confused me. Sometimes that's easy. Who and what was this in reference to?

Boy, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today. Hey, I'm one of the good guys, and if you haven't been able to make that determination based on my posts and significant positive contribution to this forum, well, consider getting up on the other side of the bed . Anybody can post 1-2 liners all day and not say Jack. If you have a problem with what I'm posting, then come out and say so either publicly or privately; I can take the heat and acknowledge other points of views. I am not here to cause problems and my very long history of posts demonstrates that. I always play nice, but do so in a way that adds some "life" to the forum. This is not a very formal English tea party where everyone needs to be extremely polite to the point of boredom. I am very good at what I do, and what I do is healthy for this forum. Yes, I am THAT good!

Were you just teasing TCS post above yours or were you answering my "regardless of echo's stirring. :P " comment? If it was that, I was totally teasing you dude. Surely you knew that. I know tone and intent is hard to convey in a post, but that was why I added the :P Seriously, hope you knew I was teasing, and not trying to fight with you or blasting you or something.

I had some posts vanish with no explanation, thus my comments were directed at some unknown person hiding in the darkness with god powers. :) As usual, If I would have disagreed with anyone here who's standing in plain sight, I would have made it clear who I was speaking to.

Port wrote:

was totally teasing you dude. Surely you knew that. I know tone and intent is hard to convey in a post, but that was why I added the
:P
Seriously, hope you knew I was teasing, and not trying to fight with you or blasting you or something.

Yes, nothing about your posts has ever bothered me. :animated_bouncy: Rarely, if ever, do I take comments personally so it never bothers me. It does bother me when people delete posts simply because they have the powers, and they are have a bad day in their real life.

OK I do not hide in darkness... Yes it was me that deleted your post, and I did so because you were off topic... It's unfortunate, but we are having to keep a very close eye on posts right now and being off topic wasn't a good idea... Then again telling a forum host they got up on the wrong side of the bed isn't either... It's ok though, cause it's me and Echo and I have an understanding... I also thought EVERYONE knew that if you went off topic your posts were going to be deleted... I was wrong, so let me say right now that if you are off topic your posts will be deleted without explanation... We are here to talk about the Kid Nations show, and in this thread about the gold star and who won it and who should have won it... :)

I admit the original post in question was probably pushing the tolerance limit. And I did notice that the post was edited fairly with the intent to be nice :) . Never again will I say <BEEP>, <BEEP>, and <BEEP> and swear on a stack of 1001 bibles never to say <BEEP> <BEEP>. I suppose now I am on ultra triple double secret probation. <aside: Besides it makes people feel good to think that the mods hate my guts> :animated_bouncy:

As far as the gold stars are concerned. My hope is that producers will, behind the scenes, make financial rewards equal for all the kids, not just some. I can understand for the purpose of making a reality TV show dramatic that there are some winners\losers among these kids, but I don't like it one bit some of these kids get $$$$$ that allows them to go to college, while others get to go home feeling like they are losers. The reason I think this is important is because a 14 year Sofia has 1-5 year head start on rest, and an 8-9 year old simply can't over come that maturity difference unless he\she is destined to become a great world leader. It is not like the kids can come back next year, like they do in summer camps, and grow\improve, and become a gold star winner next time. There is no next time, and for several of these kids, they realistically didn't have a chance to win a gold star $$$$$$. Even with Malory, there was a hint that she got it in part because it was her birthday, that's just good luck\timing, not something other kids can do jack about to change.

Well echo we didn't get our wish...."that these kids should of all gotten a star or something extra". But if thats how the producers wanted the show to end I guess we'll have to take it for what it is. I am disapointed. I do hope that we'll get to see future seasons. I'm going to miss these children, I would love to see them in 10 years. JMHO :pixiedust:

TCS Wrote

Well echo we didn't get our wish...."that these kids should of all gotten a star or something extra".

I don't follow the reality TV scene closely enough to speak about the finer $$$$ details, but I am aware there are incentives and other factors that they can't openly discussed by the players. Since this show is with kids, it makes it even more difficult to actually speculate what MORE there might be. I just hope there is MORE than what we have seen because it truly does bug me that some go home with life changing $$$$$, and other go home feeling like they didn't try hard enough, weren't nice enough, weren't old enough, weren't pretty enough, weren't tall enough, weren't strong enough, weren't smart enough, weren't on the right team, weren't at the right place at the right time, etc, etc, etc. In reality those who didn't win couldn't have changed the things I just listed, at least not changed them over the scope of 40 days.

I still don't see why there would be more to this show than there is. I understand why some of you feel all the kids should get a gold star. But that just isn't the way life works. Survival is the reward to the fitest. In this case, the gold star goes to those who try to make a difference. I think Anjay and Mike were shorted, but life isn't fair either. And echo don't go off on me about not caring. I do care, but kids need to learn the facts of life.

5000 in a good fund could be worth 20k by the time these kids go to college.

Baron, what you are saying is that you personally are satisfied if there nothing more than what was shown.

If we take this extremely literally, the perception is from audience perspective that some kids go home with 20K, 50K, or in the case of Sofia 70K. The rest get zero. No where during the show did they state "Those of you who don't win a gold star get 5,000". It is only leaked information and\or press info that states the kids get paid 5K. Get it? You are assuming they are getting something, I am assuming they are also getting something for their efforts, my point is after the show has been filmed and the kids have been awarded their gold stars by their peers, the remaining children should be properly\equally compensated for their efforts too by the producers, not just those who won the gold star. This show is not competition for 12 20K gold stars and 3 50K, therefor kids need to create alliances, take control of the town council, Lie to the kids they don't like, award gold stars to their friends and allies.

Maybe you would be OK with the gold star winners getting a HUGE jump start in their REAL lives (ie the ability to go to college) and the rest go back to their lives with self-perception that their individual contribution were unworthy, but I couldn't do it. If I were a executive producer on this show I would insist that after it was done\filmed, all the kids would be given equal amounts for their efforts. A reality TV series is not a place to teach 20 kids about the hard knocks of life while awarding 15 others based on random criteria that changes every 3 days.

You are assuming they are getting something, I am assuming they are also getting something for their efforts, my point is after the show has been filmed and the kids have been awarded their gold stars by their peers, the remaining children should be properly\equally compensated for their efforts too by the producers, not just those who won the gold star. This show is not competition for 12 20K gold stars and 3 50K, therefor kids need to create alliances, take control of the town council, Lie to the kids they don't like, award gold stars to their friends and allies.

They got paid according to their contracts. They will not, and cannot be paid anything else besides the stipend and any prizes they may or may not have won during filming. Regardless of how fair it is, that's how television works.

TCS Wrote:

I would love to see them in 10 years. JMHO
:pixiedust:

If Kid Nation has a successful run (ie 5 years or more), I expect you shall get your wish. It would be interesting to see these kids at college age or older. Have you seen the "Seven Up" documentary series? It is series a documentary films that has been following the lives of several children starting back in the 1964. Every 7 years they film a new documentary about their lives. Now adults, they're becoming grandparents (50s).

I really would like to see these children in the future. I know that most of them will be sucessful. The star money that some got will really help them. The one boy whos' dad had been out of work for over a year, said he was going to give his $20,000.00 to his dad to help him out made me cry. :pixiedust:

Have you seen the "Seven Up" documentary series? It is series a documentary films that has been following the lives of children starting back in the 1964. Every 7 years they film a new documentary about their lives. Now adults, they becoming grandparents (50s).

No I haven't....sounds good.

This show is not competition for 12 20K gold stars and 3 50K, therefor kids need to create alliances, take control of the town council, Lie to the kids they don't like, award gold stars to their friends and allies.

It will be from now on, unless they change or do away with the gold star system, but I'm beating a dead horse. Sorry. I just really see it becoming that next season. Hopefully it won't become like that Discovery kids "survivoresque" show "Endurance". I find that kind of boring and painful to watch at the same time.

(I'll still watch.)

What is wrong with Endurance? I think that is a great show for middle school age kids. It's about kids demonstrating teamwork and good sportsmanship. I don't think it is boring at all, I like that fact they show kids making good choices and respecting each other, yet competing hard as a team.

Port wrote:

It will be from now on, unless they change or do away with the gold star system

It is mind boggling, truly totally mind boggling to me, that you would believe that CBS would green light showing kids behaving in ways like we seen on Survivor and Big Brother. Sure kids after having seen the show will have better idea of what they THINK the show is about, but I personally believe these producers do not want a show about secret alliances, lying, backstabbing, and a truck load of other bad examples of how kids can get ahead in life at the expense of others. In otherwords, idealize for millions of kids watching kid their age demostrating how cutthroat behavior is how to get ahead in life; the only thing wrong with cheating on a test at school is getting caught, etc, etc. The idea is so far fetched in terms of being responsible that it makes me wonder if I am being played. As John McEnroe would say "You can't be serious!!" :)

If anything, it is my perception that this season the people behind the camera stopped, or through original design of Kid Nation, the kids from applying such "Ruthless" deceptive behavior tactics to get the gold star.

It will be from now on, unless they change or do away with the gold star system, but I'm beating a dead horse. Sorry. I just really see it becoming that next season.

(I'll still watch.)

....even though there was some things I didn't agree with I still enjoyed watching. (I'll still watch too) :pixiedust:

Good show despite the preshow nay sayers. Seriously think some people overanalyzed the **** out of it. Guh

Plan to watch round two if there's to be another.

echo, you are still hanging on to the notion that the KN producers had something noble in mind other than making $$. KN might have a message hidden in it somewhere, but the sad truth is making money is the main goal here. Am I ok with it? I think I'm numb to it like a veteran soldier gets numb to bodies and the smell of death.

But besides that, I really do not think that every kid deserves an equal share. Sophia certainly deserves more than the rest. She'd be my first pick too, based on the knowledge I have. Also, I don't think the social experiment was a success. The candy riot goes to show how fragile the town was.

echo, I don't like Endurance because the times I've watched it I have seen that uncomfortable "picking teams" thing being played out and then hurt feelings, fighting, and someone not liking who they got "stuck with" and not trying to hide it from that person. I don't care to watch that. Also, those kids are High School age, not Middle School, but that's nitpicking on my part. ;)

It is mind boggling, truly totally mind boggling to me, that you would believe that CBS would green light showing kids behaving in ways like we seen on Survivor and Big Brother.

I have been watching CBS and television for years, as I'm sure you have. There is not a doubt in my mind that the powers that be at CBS would green light that type of show in a heartbeat if they thought it could make money. That's been kind of my point all along. Not greenlighting that particular scenario, no, but that CBS is in this to make money. Although the producers of KN may have had altruistic motives, I can pretty much guarantee you that CBS did not. They saw a show that was cheap to produce that would bring them money. Period. CBS is a business. I can see them doing a one time charity show for a kid's cause, sure, but not a season. It wasn't CBS' intent to show us "what kids can do..." it was CBS intent to make money. Maybe that sounds heartless and cynical to you, but surely you cannot believe CBS is more interested in those kids than in money. I'm not saying CBS is a heartless corporation, they do good things just like all businesses, but they ARE A BUSINESS. The almighty ratings war is always priority one, and yes, I absolutely believe 100% without a single doubt in my mind that CBS would greenlight a backstabbing kids version of "Survivor" in a second if they 1. Thought it would make them money and get high ratings, and 2. Could do it without it becoming a "public relations nightmare" (in other words someone thinking they were exploiting or harming the kids, which is what all the controversy was at the beginning of KN). To borrow your own phrasing, it's truly mind boggling to me that you DON"T believe CBS would green light that. Don't you think that's naive? And please, don't think I'm name-calling. I'm sure you think I'm being cynical and that's cool. I've given my reasoning for my cynicism, which I think is just the reality of business, and I'd really like to hear why you think they wouldn't. Do you think they care that much about the kids?