Sign in to follow this  
Baron

The Gold Stars (worth $20,000 / $50,000)

JFETCH Wrote

The star is just a symbol. They actually get the money. If the star was actual gold it would weigh a lot more than a couple pounds. Basically the star is a paperweight, and they probably do get to keep a copy of it.

JFETCH, you are correct. I have check this out, and at the very beginning the gold star is described as being "Worth it's weight in gold". There might have been 1-2 other references that state it's being "Worth" 20K. From a practical point, at least from my irrational and totally warped reasoning of insanity, it makes no sense what-so-ever to give a child a solid gold star (trophy) which they would have to sell if they wanted use it for a college fund; no more cherished trophy. (I can can see something like that going up on ebay with the starting bid of 20K. ;) )

Now for children watching the show, the illusion of it being real gold makes pefect sense, it makes the show far far more exciting to watch. It is something that is tangible that kids can related to. :animated_bouncy:

I don't know Jfetch, it could be and would make more sense because the price of gold fluctuates so much. However, according to current prices 2 pounds is pretty close to $20,000 American. A kilogram, approximately 2.2 pounds, is currently worth $26,752.64. So I'm not sure it would be much heavier than a couple of pounds.

Gold is more dense than whatever that star is made of. 2 pounds of gold is a lot smaller than that star they use. If that star was made of pure gold the kids wouldn't be able to carry it around. The star they use is a paperweight.

Even if I'm wrong about that, wouldn't it be stupid to let kids run around with $20,000 gold bars?

I always figured that they only had one actual Gold star, and that after a few hours (during which they probably send a camera crew over to the winner's family's house so they can tape that phone call), the winner is allowed to keep (and play with) it.

When they go home, they would get a check for $20,000 instead of an actual gold star.

(But I could be wrong.)

And does "solid gold" really mean that it isn't hollow, or does it mean that it is made of pure gold? I don't know anymore.

Even if it isn't hollow, most of the weight is in the middle, with the ends of the points weighing next to nothing.

I fully expect the season to conclude... that at the end of the 40 days Bonanza City will be declared a success and that every single citizen kid was an important\valuable contributor to that success, not just 13 gold star winners out of 40.

I can definitely see it going that way.

And if it does, than who knows, maybe they will award an additional sum to everyone.

(Maybe even a little extra for council members - but they would have to pro-rate it.)

In episode 10, Laurel lost the election and was off the council.

At the end of the episode, she was awarded the Gold Star.

I was happy to see Laurel get rewarded for all of her hard work.

Finally she was the one with that key to "Kid Nation's' only phone. She tore through the town to make "the best call I've had in my entire life!"

She was crying so hard. But she still made her Mom roar when she heard about the twenty thousand dollar Gold Star. "We'll have to go to the mall." Her mom blurted out. She seemed to have a good sense of humor.

Laurel said that winning the Gold Star was the best moment of her life. "I wouldn't care if it was worth three cents." She said, echoing a sentiment I share. That feelings are priceless. This experience, is priceless. And nothing matters more than family.

Everyone of these kids deserves a Gold Star. They're all golden. And they're all winners.

(Source: http://realitytvcalendar.com/shows/kidnati...d+On+Next+Page)

I will agree with the last paragraph of the above quote. Each of those kids is deserving of a Gold Star, in their own right. That doesn't mean I think that they should all be leaving with one (and only one) at the end. Unfortunately, there is only one available each week. I'm still hoping that everyone gets some kind of reward at the end, and from the spoilers for the final episode, that may even come to pass.

If they do give out 50K, you'd think Sophia would be one of the best candidates for getting it, but sense she already got 20K, it is unlikely the kids would give her another 50K.

One way of interpreting the spoiler in the preview blurb for the final episode is that

there are THREE 50K gold stars to be given out

(highlight to see). But it's hard to figure out exactly what they mean from that blurb.

And I don't think that having won a Gold Star already would take anyone out of the running solely for that reason.

As for everyone getting a gold star, maybe it will happen, but I think it's more likely that they will all get some kind of prize (maybe money) for being part of a town that was a success, but not a gold star - unless EVERYONE gets one, including those who already got one. But I'm patient enough to just wait and see.

Thanks Jedi, I'm so looking forward to the two final episodes. :animated_bouncy: Kinda on a sad note....I'm going to miss Kid Nation, I've really enjoyed this show. I didn't think I would. I also like the Kid Nation threads too, to agree or disagree its been lots of fun. JMHO :pixiedust:

To follow up on my previous post - at the end of the last episode, in the preview for the season finale, they showed a clip where Alex picks up a larger gold star. If you look carefully, you will see there is something else on the table when he picks it up.

At around the 10-second mark of the following 20-second clip:

That was 3 of the bigger gold stars all standing up. I am sure each kid gets something for his apperance on the show. Now how do I get my kids on there so I can have a vacation. :giggle:

Everyone knows that they got $ 5000.00 for appearing, but I really don't think that they are all going to get a gold star, I mean if they do, what was the point of them giving them out during the show? They could have used another forum of reward, like maybe sitting on the TC for a week, or something instead... This is just my opinion though...

I wish they hadn't gone the gold star route and stayed with the theme of group rewards. Giving money out as individual prizes changed the whole feeling of the show. A lot of the kids would have acted totally different if they weren't trying to get the money.

Even the idea of districts takes away the "working for the good of the town" idea, and makes it working for your team instead. If they wanted to make it a game show, they should have went all the way with it.

It will be definitely interesting to see how next season plays out. Does anyone know if/when it's scheduled? Probably not until next fall at the earliest, but with this writers strike it could be moved up like BB. I hope.

Anyway, remember how much Survivor changed from Pulua Tiga to Outback and especially to Africa and now the present seasons? The entire feel of the show shifted and it IS a game show! All because everyone playing now knows what guidelines to expect and how to get ahead. Will the same thing happen to KN now that so many kids will have seen the show and know that they just need to let everyone see them working really hard and they'll get a gold star? How many parents will be telling their kids to make "alliances" with groups of other kids to have a whole bunch of kids nominate one different kid from their alliance each week? It's what I would do, unfortunately, with the current system. Not hard to figure out. Get at least 5 other kids together from the beginning and scheme to work hard, but not be seen as best friends or anything. Then meet secretly each few days to decide which one of the group to group nominate for this week. Could work. And it could turn KN into a complete "game show" reality show.

Remember, BB didn't really start out as a "game show" per se. It was billed as a "Social Experiment" and America got to vote every week on who stayed, not the houseguests. That changed really quick and now instead of the nicey-nicey "we all are adults and can get along" (*because it didn't matter what you felt the eviction wasn't in your hands as a fellow houseguest), we have major drama/backstabbing/alliances/scheming/Donatos-type play. Makes for good ratings, but it's not what BB was supposed to be. Is KN on the same course with the Gold Stars?

Had to edit and add this: Since I've found the info on KN Season 2 and realize now that application deadline for it was in September, it may very well be near finished filming by now. Depending on how long they took going through the process of casting the kids and setting up everything of course, but again with the writer's strike AND the decent ratings of this one I'd bet they decided to get it going a lot quicker than they had originally planned. That makes me think if the Gold Stars do have the "gameshow" effect we probably won't see it until Season 3.

Ghee Port. I've been agreeing with the last couple of your posts. (I've agreed with you before today too.lol) I think you have something about the game show feel to some of the shows out there. I still enjoy watching them anyways. I think they may have to change up the awarding of the gold star too. I knew they were having casting calls for KN2 I just didn't know about the cut off date being in Sept. So they just might have #2 done by now. I can't wait. :pixiedust:

It will be definitely interesting to see how next season plays out. Does anyone know if/when it's scheduled? Probably not until next fall at the earliest, but with this writers strike it could be moved up like BB. I hope.

I just read an article yesterday that said that they had the season ready to film if picked up, so it looks like there hasn't been a nod for another season just yet, but the producers are ready if CBS wants another season...

Port it is weird sometimes how close you and I think. I was thinking that same thing about how KN2 isn't going to have the same feel as this one did. It reminds me of that show they did on Spike TV a few years ago. They took a guy and had him thinking he was on some whacky reality show. The truth was, he was the only contestant. Everyone else was an actor. I can't remember the name of the show, but it was funny to watch. Anyway, It was something they could do only once. Once you seen it, who would fall for it again? Well, they tried a second season, but it was nowhere near as good.

I have a feeling KN2 won't have the same charm as the first one did. With children's tendencies to mimic and not be original, you will get a show full of Taylors and Gregs with a couple of Sophias and Jareds thrown in. Except they will be Taylor, Greg, Sophia and Jared times 10.

The producers will probably try a few twists, maybe their casting will work, maybe it won't. I just feel the show has only so much you can milk from it.

Now the Amazing race is one show that has pretty much been the same from season to season (not counting that lousy family edition.)

Baron wrote:

It reminds me of that show they did on Spike TV a few years ago. They took a guy and had him thinking he was on some wacky reality show. The truth was, he was the only contestant. Everyone else was an actor. I can't remember the name of the show, but it was funny to watch.

It was the Joe Shmoe Show. It was great.

As far as Kid Nation II, I'm not as pessimistic as you folks. I think they can avoid falling into all those traps and, just like with this season, lead people to believe that what happened during the 40 days is more real than it really was.

My perception is very different, I think the show producers REALLY like and respect children and are not using them to further their professional careers in Hollywood (and make a lot of $$$). Kid Nation is not a Reality TV Game show like Survivor or Big Brother (despite what Fuskie thinks), and I believe they will keep the show from becoming an all cutthroat reality TV series with kids. I doubt they will go kid hunting for a pint size Dick, Danny Bonaduce, Johnny Fairplay, etc. It is preposterous to think that we'll soon be watching kids making secret alliances, backstabbing each other, and lying ruthlessly all for a Gold Star. If anyone truly thinks that is possible, you're missing a couple of screws upstairs.

And BTW, the world is not coming a cataclysmic end anytime soon. Most people do good, not bad. Not one single kid in the history of world has been born bad. And let's not forget, I am damn good, and rarely, if ever, wrong.

Joe Schmo was the best, and only true social experiment. The problem is that it can only work once.

It is preposterous to think that we'll soon be watching kids making secret alliances, backstabbing each other, and lying ruthlessly all for a Gold Star. If anyone truly thinks that is possible, you're missing a couple of screws upstairs.

And BTW, the world is not coming a cataclysmic end anytime soon. Most people do good, not bad. Not one single kid in the history of world has been born bad. And let's not forget, I am damn good, and rarely, if ever, wrong.

To borrow from one of your oft used smileys: :animated_bouncy:

You are nothing if not inconsistently consistent (purposeful word play there) and I have to admit sometimes your posts make me smile broadly if not chuckle. ;)

We'll just have to see how it all plays out, but as someone who likes to use exaggerations to make points I commend you for that in your posts this season.

Ghee Port. I've been agreeing with the last couple of your posts. (I've agreed with you before today too.lol)

Wow, echo's post about the world not coming to an end soon may be wrong! :) Just kidding TCS, you, (or at least the character you portray on here), are a real sweetheart and I've enjoyed posting with you in this forum. Hopefully we'll have many more seasons to continue it!

I just read an article yesterday that said that they had the season ready to film if picked up, so it looks like there hasn't been a nod for another season just yet, but the producers are ready if CBS wants another season...

Cool! Thanks for the info and nice to see you back with us if I didn't mention that before. That info you provided is the one thing I couldn't find yesterday, but I knew someone on here would probably know.

(Totally off topic even more than I usually am) Baron, the family edition AR is the one me, my two brothers, and my then sis-in-law tried out for and almost made it on. Looking back, I'm actually kind of glad we didn't. If my nephew hadn't backed out leaving us with the only option of asking my younger brother we most likely would have made it all the way into the show because they told us later they really wanted at least one minor.

Port wrote:

TCS, you, (or at least the character you portray on here), are a real sweetheart and I've enjoyed posting with you in this forum.

Indeed, a most interesting comment. Are you suggesting that TCS is not who she appears to be, and maybe she really is one of "The Others"? <insert evil laugh here> :animated_bouncy:

I think she really Morty. ;)

We all know Morty is really here every day, just doesn't post using the account of "Morty". <insert yet another evil laugh here>

The Truth is out there.....

I am who I am..... :pixiedust:

One more day and no more Kid Nation. :(

TCS wrote:

I am who I am.....
:pixiedust:

As Popeye would say: I am, who I am, and that all that's I am..... :animated_bouncy:

I love Robin Williams as Popeye in Robert Altman's Popeye, and I'm not huge fan of Williams standup stick, but he is a great character actor.

Heh, TCS, I hope you took that comment in the spirit it was meant. Regardless of echo's stirring. :P

Nah, seriously. I think you are who you seem to be, just going with my whole "you can't really tell who anyone is in real life on here" schtick. You're still a sweetheart and that's just my opinion and I value yours.

I deserve a gold star too. I work hard berating, lambasting, blithering, blathering, ruminating, illuminating, aggravating, and rambling on here!

No worries port....I think we all should get gold stars! :stars::pixiedust:

Joe Schmoe! Yep, that was it. I was thinking Joe Bloe, but it didn't sound right and I'm too lazy to look things up. I do remember the name of the fake reality show. It was called "Lap of Luxury." Anyway, I loved it. The guy they cast for Joe was perfect.

The Joe Shmoe show is on DVD for those who have not seen it, or want to relive it all over again. If you have not seen it, trust me, it truly is one of the very best reality TV series ever made.

BTW...... Who was it in this forum that suggested that by the end the kids would each be awarded a gold star for their efforts in making Bonanza City a success? Sorry I can't recall.