Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baron

The Gold Stars (worth $20,000 / $50,000)

94 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if I like that they announced the gold stars were worth money. I would hope that the point of the show was to see if kids could make a working town, not earn prize money.

I do hope that at some point the council is chosen my the townies. In this day and age when wars are being fought for democracy, we would allow our kids the same rights.

I also said before that I hope the kids get to chose who gets paid what. I think it sets a bad example (our society) that hard work doesn't determine your pay.

If the council doesn't change, then the council members won't have an opportunity to get stars themselves.

I actually clicked on this thread to ask why anyone would want to be on the council since they can't get the stars.

The council is, despite all their flaws, very mature for the most part. I mean, their giving away TWENTY-THOUSAND dollars! Thats a helluva hard thing to do when you're ten! I seriously doubt I could come to a desicion even with a few years of extra experiance. For example, even after Sophia trashed the council, they still gave her the 20k. All the council members are definatly mature. I give Taylor credit here.

It was just a matter of time before Greg got his star. They wouldn't set us up like that and not later show him getting it. In other words, if he never was awarded the gold star, they wouldn't have had a build up to him getting one.

When producers\editors know the outcome before hand in post production, it is extremely easy to edit a show with dramatic up\downs. Same with Taylor, her bratty personality is only highlighted in the early episodes so that it can be contrasted with more positive qualities that she later demonstrates over the 40 days.

Another Gold Star....

I HOPE that in the ending of this show that ALL the kids that did not win a Gold Star gets a Gold Star...in the end I'm sure all of them deserve one

:)

LenLen702 wrote:

I HOPE that in the ending of this show that ALL the kids that did not win a Gold Star gets a Gold Star...in the end I'm sure all of them deserve one

Everything that I have seen thus far leads me to believe that every child that is there all 40 days will receive a gold star for their ability to stick it out. I have a very high confidence level we shall see this happen.

Baron wrote:

No gold stars for all the kids. I cant believe that is even suggested. Is Bonanza a communist nation? Kids need to see that hard work and good behavior lead to reward. Not just wait till the end and you will get the same thing.

My confidence level is very high that the producers will end up in giving each child $20K. I think it will be a gold star, but I concede, they may choose to award the 20,000 (+5,000) using some other symbol\justification. Hell, maybe they strike gold, and each citizen of Bonanza City gets $20K as being a founding member.

It does make sense to do this because, I am assuming, each kid is contributing to the best of their individual ability. If it is planned to give each child $20k, it doesn't mean they have told them in advance: "If you make it to the end, everybody gets $20k". It would be silly in the context of this social experiment to tell them that. They didn't know about the Gold Star until after they arrived.

The reason it makes sense to me is because the whole Gold Star selection process is extremely subjective, and the town council is makes that decision (sure they get input), but is not put up to a vote. It's not a clearly defined merit system, AND the council members are spreading it around awarding it for different reasons.

I might agree with you Baron if it was just a Gold Star trophy worth little or no money (ie $100), but we are talking about $20K. It is extremely unfair to send home $20k with 16 kids based on a subjective award system. I think we can safely concluded that most, if not all, are just as worthy of winning the gold star. Why should only 16 children out of 40 go home with a college fund of $20K, while the others get nothing? The answer is pretty damn obvious to me. :animated_bouncy:

I remember thinking when the show aired that I thought it would be cool if everyone got a gold star at the end, but then I wondered how fair that would be for those who did something extra special. Maybe something worth a little less ....or something

Maybe everyone could get some type of savings bond for college or whatever. Maybe not as much as the gold star, but something. Most on reality shows get money for participating. And those who won the gold star get even more, or just get the gold star.

laladoopiedu wrote:

Maybe everyone could get some type of savings bond for college or whatever.

That's a good suggestion and realistic possibility. Very much in line what I perceive this show is about.

Why should only 16 children out of 40 go home with a college fund of $20K, while the others get nothing? The answer is pretty damn obvious to me.

The same reason only the winner of the National Spelling Bee takes home the money. I just don't understand why its a good idea to be awarded for essentially doing nothing. Let me try to get this right. If a kid goes on KN and sits around, minimally participates in events and work details, he should get an equivalent gold star? What kind of message does that promote? This is the problem with the US today. US workers do half as much and expect to get paid 10 times the salary of someone in a 3rd world country. No wonder the friggin companies are sending all out jobs overseas.

The 5000 stipend is fair in my eyes. These kids aren't working. They aren't even being exposed to harsh survival of a show like Survivor and their individual airtime is minimla. They aren't Hollywood actors. They are contestants on a reality show. They signed releases and got to do something that most kids would do for free. It doesn't matter how much CBS makes off it. I gaurantee KN2 will have no shortage of canidates.

But because they told the kids the gold star was worth so much, it's starting to turn into a popularity contest. One recipient earned it, while another was given the Gold star because it was her birthday. Now, according to one council member, Taylor won't be able to get one no matter what she does.

Baron wrote

The same reason only the winner of the National Spelling Bee takes home the money. I just don't understand why its a good idea to be awarded for essentially doing nothing. Let me try to get this right. If a kid goes on KN and sits around, minimally participates in events and work details, he should get an equivalent gold star? What kind of message does that promote?

Baron, there's a different between a Spelling Bee and Kid Nation in how the kids are evaluated. In the Spelling Bee, it is a very specific skill (along with the ability to handle pressure) that is clearly right\wrong. The Gold Star is awarded base on subjective decisions of 4 pre-teen kids. We're not talking about a Gold Star worth just a few dollars, it's 20K. If it was just a symbolic trophy then I would agree with your comments.

Also the way you phrase your last post, it comes across like a few kids do all the work (and are nice\polite\helpful) and worthy of the Gold Star, and rest don't even try and are dead beat kids for 40 days.

Do you truly think 4 pre-teens are qualified to ultimately decide who should go home with 20K, and the rest get nothing (besides what they all get). From your perspective, you are suggesting that it is fair for them to decide who is worthy and who is not. Those 13 out of 40 who get 20K are the winners, and those who don't are the losers? Do you, and others, truly think this show is about 40 kids competing for 13 Gold Stars with a 4 preteens making those 13 decisions? If so, then WOW!

I think awarding the gold star is ok, and that its ok to hand them out to just a few, my point is that CBS is making a lot of money on this show and if you look at the numbers, these kids are getting pennies on the dollar that the network is making. I'd like to see them get alittle more. I'm not looking at big bucks, but alittle extra. If they have to pay taxes on the $5000.00 thats not alot left over for forty days work in front of a camera. I know the kids where having fun. I know that there's people that would pay for their kids to do this. It's a great oppertunity, and lots of fun. JMHO :pixiedust: and I value yours! :)

But because they told the kids the gold star was worth so much, it's starting to turn into a popularity contest. One recipient earned it, while another was given the Gold star because it was her birthday. Now, according to one council member, Taylor won't be able to get one no matter what she does.

:) the handing out of the star is ok, I agree with you Francis that its really not being handed out fairly.

Spacey...I still :heart: Jared too! :) I love all of them!

Don't forget they wanted to give it to whoever performed the best in the talent show. It would lose all credibility if they gave it to someone just because they had a good singing voice or could play the piano well.

They ended up giving it to someone who had a good attitude and kept everyone's spirit's up which was fine.

Baron, there's a different between a Spelling Bee and Kid Nation in how the kids are evaluated. In the Spelling Bee, it is a very specific skill (along with the ability to handle pressure) that is clearly right\wrong. The Gold Star is awarded base on subjective decisions of 4 pre-teen kids. We're not talking about a Gold Star worth just a few dollars, it's 20K. If it was just a symbolic trophy then I would agree with your comments.

CBS put up the money. It is their show and their money. If they want to leave the decision to a bunch of kids, then so be it. It's not tax payer money. There doesn't have to be any political correctness. All 40 kids have an opportunity to win the star. We've only seen half of them awarded. Who knows what the kids will do next. Maybe they will do a treasure hunt.

Also the way you phrase your last post, it comes across like a few kids do all the work (and are nice\polite\helpful) and worthy of the Gold Star, and rest don't even try and are dead beat kids for 40 days.

I am perfectly happy with the way the kids have been dealing out the stars. I didn't think Mallory really deserved hers, but I am happy with the rest of the star winners. Kennedy won hers based on her personality. Divad has been doing everything she can to get a star. She certainly isn't a dead beat, but I don't think she really deserves one, and so far neither does the council. As you know, editing only shows what the producers want us to see, so I can't say who really does deserve the stars, but based on what I am allowed to see. I don't see much of a problem. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the producers had some input. "Hey, council. You been dealing out the stars based on how hard a kid works. You know you could hold a talent show and..." That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Do you truly think 4 pre-teens are qualified to ultimately decide who should go home with 20K, and the rest get nothing (besides what they all get). From your perspective, you are suggesting that it is fair for them to decide who is worthy and who is not. Those 13 out of 40 who get 20K are the winners, and those who don't are the losers?

Well lets see. The kids have been holding meetings, looking for input from the rest of the town on who should get the star. They've been giving the star out for different reasons, not just hard work, opening it up to as many kids as possible. Are they qualified? Well, I agree with their methods so yep, they sure are. Maybe they had some input on how to go about things from the producers, but I can't think of a more fair way to go about it. If there truly is only 13 or 16 stars, whatever the number is. It should be open to as many kids as possible, and not based solely on the council members' thoughts. They are making it democratic and they are taking into consideration that not all kids will stand out based on work.

Do you, and others, truly think this show is about 40 kids competing for 13 Gold Stars with a 4 preteens making those 13 decisions? If so, then WOW!

Yes, echo, we all know your superior intellect has already disected the show and you now know every intricate detail. Not everybody can be as enlightened as you though, so please forgive our dull minds.

What do the kids that have already won the gold stars do with them until they go home? Are they taken back from them for safe keeping or do they keep them with all of their belongings. I would have thought it was the former but I believe it was last weeks show that I saw some of the kids sitting around and playing with/talking about it.

Baron wrote:

Yes, echo, we all know your superior intellect has already disected the show and you now know every intricate detail. Not everybody can be as enlightened as you though, so please forgive our dull minds.

Baron, you're a good guy don't let anything I say get to you personally. Nothing I have directed towards you is meant to be personal. However, if you would like to call me arrogant son-of-bitch, jerk, troll, loser, asshole, or anything else, I'm cool with it. :animated_bouncy: I hope you don't feel that I'm jerking you around, because I don't do that kind of crap. I consider you a smart and likable guy, you "think" before you state things, I respect that. Your comments do have merit, I am not implying "you're wrong", just that I disagree. If you think I am off base with anything I post, continue to voice your opinion.

I suppose my dissecting of the Kid Nation might take some of the fun out of it for a few individuals. I have thought about that too, and have reached the conclusion that if people are going to be judgmental about kids based on what they see, then that opens the door for me to voice my insights on how the show works and what I think the bigger picture will look like at the end. If I go overboard with rehash after rehash, it might be by design, or just a personality flaw I have, you can decide; You know the type, NEVER shut's the F**K up.

Here is something else I thought about before reaching my conclusion that all the kids remaining will go home with equal amount of $$,$$$: The four Council members are not eligible for the Gold Star. That doesn't make sense at this stage, but probably will by the end. I mean Why create a social experiment (game) where 4 kids get to award 20K to 13 others, but lack the ability to get one for themselves? I think in the end, it will make sense, so I project forward as to what makes sense, at least in my unstable\warp perception of the world.

Don't worry about it. We aren't allowed to call each other names but my little sarcastic comment serves the same purpose. And I like your posts too. Of course I'm probably the only one who does here. ;)

I would be willing to beleive that all former council members will get a star or perhaps they will do something in the end that makes it possible for council to get stars. Just giving a star to every kid cheapens the inpact of the show. I personally dont have a problem with all kids getting a star. But the show loses integrity. What is the point. I know you believe the target audience is kids, but primetime is no place for a kid show. I believe the show is meant for both kids and reality tv fans. Its the RTV fans that will keep this show on air and back for another season. Having all kids win at the end spoils the impact. It would be like giving all the Survivors a million at the end. Yes its sad that CBS would put ratings above anything else, but thats TV.

What do the kids that have already won the gold stars do with them until they go home? Are they taken back from them for safe keeping or do they keep them with all of their belongings. I would have thought it was the former but I believe it was last weeks show that I saw some of the kids sitting around and playing with/talking about it.

The star is just a symbol. They actually get the money. If the star was actual gold it would weigh a lot more than a couple pounds. Basically the star is a paperweight, and they probably do get to keep a copy of it.

I don't know Jfetch, it could be and would make more sense because the price of gold fluctuates so much. However, according to current prices 2 pounds is pretty close to $20,000 American. A kilogram, approximately 2.2 pounds, is currently worth $26,752.64. So I'm not sure it would be much heavier than a couple of pounds.

I agree with your assessment Baron. The council is qualified. Also, I like Echo's posts too even if he gets on my nerves, but don't tell him I like them.

There's been a lot of speculation, speaking of echo, as to what the purpose of this show is. I don't have any reason to believe it's anything other than what CBS stated at the beginning. It is entertainment with a quasi social-experiment designed to see how kids would run things. I think it's become more geared towards kids than it was originally intended to be. In the beginning it certainly seemed to me that it was geared towards adult veiwers as a kind of "here's a way to see how kids would run things". As I stated, I think it still is that, but now it's geared towards other kids as well since the network found out they had a very large child audience for the show. However, the network is using that audience to get kids to get the adults they know watching the show. Even the little cartoon thing states that before the show starts.

Now let me sum up all my rambling incoherence above, (sorry just finished a research paper on "tracking" in public schools and my thoughts are scattered):

This show is just a reality show designed as entertainment to give the average viewer a quasi-realistic (although not very realistic if you think about it) view of how kids would run a town. It's not designed to be PC and show that all kids are good. It's not designed to be PC and reward all kids the same. It's entertainment wrapped in a reality television created "social experiment". Nothing more. I haven't seen anything that suggests the producers or CBS have ulterior "liberal" motives of stating all kids are good and would do a better job of running things than adults.

Spot on Port. I think you hit it right on the head. I cant see any evidence that the show is more than how you described it.