Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JEDI

Episode #13: We've All Decided To Go Mad!

23 posts in this topic

Caution: SPOILERS ahead

THE PIONEERS AIM TO PROVE THAT THEY HAVE BUILT A WORKING SOCIETY IN BONANZA CITY, ON THE SEASON FINALE OF "KID NATION," WEDNESDAY, DEC. 12

After 40 days on their own, the Pioneers of Bonanza City finally get to prove whether they've been able to create a working society, while also getting a few surprises of their own, on the season finale of KID NATION, Wednesday, Dec. 12 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

When the Pioneers wake up on Day 38, they discover the Job Board destroyed. With the Job Board gone, they are left to keep the town up and running without their defined responsibilities and tasks to guide them. Will they let Bonanza City deteriorate, or will the Pioneers pull through and keep the town running? As this question is answered, an unlikely hero emerges in the final days.

Additionally, the Pioneers must band together for their three final challenges. For each challenge they complete, they will receive a special reward - a Gold Star, this time worth $50,000, to be awarded to one Pioneer who has contributed the most to Bonanza City over the 40 days. Finally, before the Pioneers head home and leave Bonanza City forever, they receive one last heart-wrenching surprise that reduces everyone to tears.

KID NATION is hosted by Jonathan Karsh and is a production of Tom Forman Productions and Good TV, Inc. Tom Forman is the executive producer. Scott Einziger is the co-executive producer. For more information on KID NATION and the Pioneers, please visit http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/

RATING: To Be Announced

As much as I don't want this to be over, I am really excited about seeing this season finale. I can't imagine what the heart-wrenching surprise that has everyone in tears will be. Maybe they will get a reward or something. I hope it's not a bad surprise. Maybe they flew all their parents in to greet them. That seems most likely to me. Guess I'll have to wait until Wednesday to find out.

Oh, and it's not really a spoiler anymore that they wake up to find the job board in flames. That was on the previews and is listed in the synopsis on CBS and every cable provider I've seen. The 50k stars aren't really spoilers either.

Edited to add, by the way jedi, they've released the title of the episode now. It's "We've All Decided to Go Mad!"

I agree with you Port....I don't want to see the show end. I too am looking forward to seeing how this all ends. I also think that maybe they'll have the families there to greet the kids after its all over. On the previews that I've seen on tv, it looks like one of the smaller buildings is on fire. I hope they'll do more seasons. :pixiedust:

Edited: I just saw a promo, and it does show the task board on fire, not a small building.

That would be nice to see all the families reunited with their kids. I hope I get to watch tonight. Been so busy with Mr. Joa's return from Iraq that the tv set hasn't been on. I really want to catch this finale though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I get to see it tonight too. I'm moving out of my place today and going to stay with my mom at the ranch until I move back to NM the first of January. Hopefully I'll get to mom's before 7pm! Otherwise I'm kind of screwed, they only have Satellite internet out there and I don't know if any of you know anything about Satellite internet, but it is AWFUL and hardly better than dial-up.

Good luck with your move port. Happy your hubby is home and safe Joa. :)

I can't wait to see tonights' show!!!! :animated_bouncy: I hope it isn't a big build-up and then flops on us! :pixiedust:

If you haven't watched the finale be warned, there are spoilers below!

Wow. That was interesting and a bit of a letdown ending. Not much to it, it seemed like. Kind of anti-climatic for me. I was a kind of surprised, though I shouldn't have been because I expected it all along, that the producers didn't give all the kids something extra. And three people, two of whom already had 20k stars, got 50k stars on top of it. Sophia deserved it, she worked hard. Mike should have gotten one of them. Don't have a problem with Migwe or however you spell that, getting one. She's been working hard too. It would have been hard for me to decide truly who to give those three 50k stars though. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for the council seeing as how they are just kids.

This is one time I can say I was right, but not take any comfort in it. Nothing extra for the kids. Didn't show every kid in a super light at the end. In fact some kids we never got to know at all. Unfortunately I'm more convinced than ever that if there's more seasons it's going to become a "game show reality show" if they don't change things a lot. Those three 50k stars, on top of the thirteen 20k stars especially, will have parents scrambling to get their kids on the show and teaching them ways to get the others to award them a star. And how many kids are going to want to be on the council for the final last few days if they know they'll have to give out, (and not be eligble for), three 50k stars? I'd quit the council with three days to go and make someone else take it if it were me.

Sorry echo, I don't see any evidence after this finale that tells me you were right, and believe it or not I hoped you were, about how the producers would end up showing everything. In fact, I saw what I saw all along, just kids "building" a psuedo town and being kids.

Well the show does not come on for another hour, so wait to see how I perceive things. If the kids are divided into groups winners\losers, then maybe next season it will shift towards survival of the fittest. If a Kid finds himself at the back of the chow line, well, maybe he goes to to bed hungry, and the next day he fights harder to make sure some other kid goes goes to bed hungry.

I really like this show and sorry to see it end.

Spoilers ahead if you have not watched the show then don

Why was Morgan's dad so surprised that Greg was only 15? Was he expecting them to throw random 19 year olds onto the show?

Divad never really got redeemed. She was there for two episodes as the girl that selfishly voted herself to win all the gold stars despite clearly not deserving it. Makes me think they put her in a bad light intentionally since her parents had complaints about the show. See preseason articles. Of course they convienently snuck it in the middle of the season so it wouldn't garner attention (like it would at the begining) or ruin the feel of the show (like it would at the end).

So does anyone actually think these kids "proved" anything? Everything was pretty much given to them and I don't think they accomplished diddly squat to be honest.

I'm surprised Greg didn't nominate himself for a 50 K Gold Star.

I have to say that I am really sad to see the season end... I didn't know until tonight how affected I was by these kids... My mom and I both watched the show and I called her for the first time ever crying because I was going to miss someone on a TV show... I am going to miss all of these kids that were shown every week, and some of them that weren't shown every week... I will admit it, I am going to miss Taylor!!! I know, I know, but I am... I guess I am just really sad to see it end for them...

It was pretty much a let down as an ending:

They showed that there were no consequences for stealing everything in sight.

The parents showing up was hokey with them running towards the town(I thought one guy was having a heart attack).

No big turn around for Taylor. In fact they showed that she is the one that started that fight by telling her she could stay with them, them changing her mind and getting someone else to tell her she wasn't welcome. Would have been nice to see an improvement, but you can't show what didn't happen.

Mike deserved a star more than Migle. Mike started out ordering people around while doing nothing himself. He definitely improved.

So does anyone actually think these kids "proved" anything? Everything was pretty much given to them and I don't think they accomplished diddly squat to be honest.

They proved they can get work as child actors.

I guess the only thing that I liked about tonights' show was at the end when the kids were saying good-bye to each other. I got a little teary-eyed over the good-byes. I really enjoyed this show. I loved all the kids. I was let down with tonights' episode. I agree that it could have been a 2 hour episode so we could see more of the parents, and some more of the kids parting speeches. I'm really going to miss the KN threads and all the debates good or bad. Thanks everyone for making this show so interesting. JMHO :pixiedust:

Rebel wrote

Divad never really got redeemed. She was there for two episodes as the girl that selfishly voted herself to win all the gold stars despite clearly not deserving it. Makes me think they put her in a bad light intentionally since her parents had complaints about the show.

I noticed that too, unless they slipped in a short clip somewhere where she does\says something nice. It bugs me that they would leave any kid hanging as a "That jerk who was on Kid Nation".

They also tended to leave that chubby little girl looking like most everyone hated her because she couldn't get along with anyone. It is possible that it was true during the 40 days away from home in a strange environment, but we have no idea if that is true about the rest of her life. Leaving any kid hanging as jerk, misfit, and otherwise unworthy of anything, is irresponsible television.

Leaving any kid hanging as jerk, misfit, and otherwise unworthy of anything, is irresponsible television.

Emily(I think that was the girl) was shown not getting along with people the whole time. She was taken out of her district because she didn't get along with them. If Divad had done anything to redeem herself, they would have shown it. Sometimes kids aren't the great and wonderful people we seem to think they are.

I was upset about the Emily deal too. I know Migle tried to defuse the situation and did a decent job, but I would probably have been more concerned over how the other girls were acting than how Emily was acting. Well, to a degree, I mean yeah calm Emily down so she's not trying to hit or attack someone, but then pull those three little princesses aside and let them know how horrible they made Emily feel and how selfish they were being. That's just me.

I didn't even think about Divad, but you all are right! They never did show her in a good light or show the outcome of her situation. She just kind of disappeared from the spotlight. I did notice Taylor didn't get a huge spotlight this time and as such a major character I expected her to. I mean, yeah she got more face-time than most, but she was still muted almost. No real resolution there.

Yana, I know how you feel! I didn't realize I was so incredibly vested in these kids I don't know. It's weird! Watching every week was almost like being there. And I think because it's kids I became a lot more emotionally attached than I ever do with Survivor or BB. Well, ok, I mean emotionally attached as in caring what happens to each one of them and wanting to see them succeed. Yes, even Taylor, though I am and was one of her strongest critics I still wanted to see her succeed and will miss her being on my tv every Wednesday night. With Survivor and BB I do get emotionally involved, but that's usually not a good emotional involvement. More like screaming at my television over how idiotic someone is being and how they need to open their eyes and get rid of so and so immediately! heh.

I remember thinking, before seeing last night's episode, that I hadn't seen that boy with the blue mohawk in a while.

But I did catch a glimpse of him during the looting.

And then, when they were squishing tomatoes for the showdown, Zach accidentally splashed a girl, and I don't remember ever noticing her in the town before. Strange, after 40 days.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't ALL share in a reward for a successful town, but hopefully they had a clause in their contract for a bonus if the ratings were good, or if the show didn't get cancelled.

The council's choices for the final 3 stars were a little surprising (in two cases), but apart from Sophia is was too close to call, really, and kind of a toss-up between a lot of people, I'm sure. Not having the advantage of being there in person, there's no way I can dispute their choices. I'm sure the the ones who ended up winning stars did in fact deserve them.

Taylor was still being Taylor, I thought. So even though she did change and grow throughout the 40 days, it just wasn't long enough of a time for her to change very drastically. She may one day make it, but for now, like most other kids, she still has some growing up to do.

I guess that if Migle was "the Paris Hilton of Bonanza City", Taylor may have been the "Omarossa".

But that just proves you don't have to be the hero to be the star.

Years from now, we will all remember Taylor long after we forget many of the other kids' names.

Hopefully, they will do some kind of update on the kids when the next season airs, like they do on Big Brother.

(But they probably won't, only because there were 40 kids, after all.)

I think the three just wanted some alone time, probably to gossip about everyone else. That's what girls (and boys) do. So they didn't want Emily there, so what, maybe Emily is as annoying as a tick. Were they the only elitests in the town? Probably not.

It depends on what you were hoping to see proven. They did come together for the final triple challenge, but they did kind of fall apart when the job board was destroyed. What we did not see was whether there was any attempt to stop the looting and reestablish order or did some of the kids just start cleaning up on their own. However, the mob mentality is certainly well learned since some bands of adults have taken advantage of crises for looting to fill their greedy emptiness.

I was disappointed neither Anjay nor Mike received a Gold Star. I thought both showed leadership qualities in their own way and never lost sight of what they were trying to do in Bonanza City. I have to wonder if there was discussion among Greg, Blaine, Michael and DK about whether they wanted to award the stars to previous winners or someone who had not been recognized. For me, there would have to have been a pretty strong argument against honoring those who had not been recognized.

The conflict between Taylor and Emilie was more disappointing to me than the ransacking of the stores and saloon. This was petty girls acting petty, putting themselves before the town. I thought Migle compounded the problem by taking the girls' side, and that one girl who was doing Taylor's dirty work was just plain nasty. This was like a preview of Junior High where the popular girl decides who is and isn't and sicks her crew on those who don't meet her standards. In this case, I do not believe the girls of Yellow district proved a dang thing.

Fuskie

Who got to see his friend on TV and will have to ask him to show him how to down a root beer bomb...

I think the three just wanted some alone time, probably to gossip about everyone else. That's what girls (and boys) do. So they didn't want Emily there, so what, maybe Emily is as annoying as a tick. Were they the only elitests in the town? Probably not.

It would have been fine if they hadn't already told her she could stay with them.

JFETCH wrote:

Sometimes kids aren't the great and wonderful people we seem to think they are.

I don't have a problem with real children being portrayed realistically as to who they are, but no child, and I mean no child, is a stereo type. It is impossible to show each child's full personality with all the good and the bad, therefor it is irresponsible television to dwell on a child immaturity for the purpose for creating a stereo type that suggests that a child is just bad and is unworthy. If they are going to dwell on anything, dwell what the child's positive qualities because every child has them.

They didn't show anyone as a stereotype. They showed the way they were.

FLYNWA wrote:

I was happy to see Megle win one as well

Of all the gold stars that were awarded this season, that one seem to come out of no where based on what I can recall seeing of her over the course of 13 episodes. And it was 50K gold star. She was awarded it and I surely would never second guess the decision, any other decision they reached. I'm just saying I personally don't recall seeing much of her throughout the season. Just struck me as odd.