Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JEDI

Episode #12: Where's Bonanza, Dude?

49 posts in this topic

Caution: bit of a SPOILER.

THE TOWN COUNCIL TAKES A TRIP TO MEET WITH NATIVE AMERICANS, WHILE THE REST OF THE PIONEERS SAVOR THEIR FINAL DAYS TOGETHER, ON "KID NATION," WEDNESDAY, DEC. 5

"Where's Bonanza, Dude?" - When the Town Council takes a trip beyond Bonanza City to meet with local Native Americans,

the bossy Bonanza "sheriff" takes control of the town

. Meanwhile, with their time together nearing an end, the other Pioneers enjoy their last few days in Bonanza, on KID NATION, Wednesday, Dec. 5 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The Pioneers are: Alex, Anjay, Blaine, Brett, Campbell, Colton, Divad, DK, Emilie, Eric, Gianna, Greg, Guylan, Hunter, Jared, Jasmine, Kelsey, Kennedy, Laurel, Leila, Madison, Maggie, Mallory, Markelle, Michael, Migle, Mike, Morgan, Natasha, Nathan, Olivia, Pharaoh, Savannah, Sophia, Sophie, Taylor and Zach.

RATING: To Be Announced

JARED WAS ROBBED...

We need that teleporation machine. Think of the possibilities.

Nice to see the young ones get showcased in this episode. Is it just me or has Jared been the only kid, with the exception of some older ones and council members to be really featured in most episodes and usually some crap at the end.

Ok, first a caution, there will be spoilers in this post!

Tonight's episode was interesting. Haven't decided if I thought it was a really good episode or not. Maybe posting will help me process it.

First off, Sophia. I thought she did a wonderful job. She wasn't overbearing and majorly bossy, and even though she doesn't like the arcade she used it very effectively as a reward to get the town to work together and clean up everything. I do think there is either some advance notice about what the challenge will be, or they edited Sophia's "homesteading" the bit of land in the center of town to be shown out of sequence. She has a very sharp wit, and she was proving a point to herself by roping off the bit of land. Conducting her own social experiment in the middle of a televised social experiment. Gotta give her props for that. She was dead on too. Take something no one wants and then everyone will want it.

Jared was as funny as always, but his age came out a bit more in this episode. Yeah, he's highly intelligent, but Alex seems to be a lot more mature for his age than Jared. However smart Alex is though, hearing him say he didn't really need the Gold Star and it wasn't really worth that much made me think they chose the wrong person to reward. Just saying. It bothered me to hear that, I can only imagine how it must have made the less fortunate kids in the town feel.

I was glad they did the challenge without the council. I do think they ran out of time before Yellow finished, but I was screaming at the television that they better not take that reward away from those kids after they worked so hard for it. It was nice to see they didn't.

Having said that about them giving the town the reward, I'm still going to say this: Tonight's episode convinced me more than ever that although they might give each kid something extra, every kid will not be winning a gold star. I know, I know! You can make the argument that is exactly what the producers want us to believe so we'll all feel nicey nicey warm and gooey when they surprise all the kids with a gold star. It MAY happen that way, but I really don't think it will. I think there will probably be something for every kid. At least I really hope they give every kid something, but I don't think it's going to be the gold star. Tonight's "Zach cries for his chance" part of the episode was telling. It actually made me think of Echo and made me wonder if he really is involved with the show, because that whole part felt like a commercial for his point of view... ie that ALL the kids should get a gold star because look how much it hurts their feelings when they don't get picked and look how much they all want it. Before I'm blasted for saying all this, please DON"T MISUNDERSTAND! I did feel sorry for Zach. Very much so. And I think DK hit the nail on the head calling out Greg. And yeah, I kind of wanted to see Zach get something for his troubles. That doesn't change the fact that the part of the episode, though it did move me, felt contrived to move me. And even still I don't think they are going to give each kid a gold star when this is over. Oh, they may, but the ones who already have one will just have two then and I'm sure a lot of people won't think that's fair either.

Had to add: The scorpion at the end with Jared would really hurt if it stung him. It's not truly dangerous unless someone is allergic though. Just feels like a wasp sting. I've been hit by those big suckers. They are big. When I moved back to Texas from NM this last time we had one stow away. Woke up in the middle of the night with it crawling on my wife in our bed. It popped her. I killed it before it could get me. HUGE scorpion. The little ones native to this part of Texas actually hurt worse though in my opinion. They pack a nastier venom (though still not deadly), that really burns and throbs.

I thought it was a good episode. I liked it. :animated_bouncy:

I missed tonights' show....went to a birthday party. I'll go on line and watch it. From the comments I can't wait to watch!!!! :pixiedust:

Port wrote:

doesn't change the fact that the part of the episode, though it did move me, felt contrived to move me.

For me, over 90% of the entire series appears contrived\controlled. The kids have limited freedoms to do\say things and react. I am very much OK with that and know it wouldn't be successful otherwise. The ending of the entire 40 days was predetermined\planned before day 1. Another way of looking at it, 10% of what is shown is real (ie the dialog is not scripted by adults for the kids to read), and 90% is planned\controlled\contrived through the magic of Television.

The whole wise Indian council meeting pretty much summarized the bottom line to the entire season\series; kids have the potential to do great things now and in the future, etc, etc.

TCS Wrote:

I missed tonights' show....went to a birthday party.

You should have asked them to reschedule. Next time just suggest "Kid Nation is on, would you mind having your birthday on a different day this year?" ;)

Seriously, you need to get a TiVO.

The one thing I thought about when watching this episode was that the editor needs to be fired.

1. During the showdown, when Green and Red were "neck and neck", you see green walking with their flag and what's that in the background? The red flag, with nobody anywhere near it. Even though we just saw them pick it up. That points out that the neck and neck comments were added later and shots rearranged to make the game seem closer than it was.

2. During the balloon ride you can see not only a helicopter flying around Bonanza city, but also vehicles driving around, and around 20 adults walking around the city(before the council shows up).

3. Also during the balloon ride, you can see that there is a real city, right next to Bonanza City. It's literally a quarter of a mile away. There is even this great shot of the balloon rising up behind a building with a big white camera mounted on it. Things like that are distracting.

4. Not the editor's fault, but the whole Native American story was cut. They stayed with them over night, and only had one segment. The council even had their faces painted, and we never saw that, or what significance it had.

I too thought they should have spent a little more time with the council members with the other tribe. That may explain the tension between Greg and DK...or it may reveal that the "tension "is exploited.

As far as seeing "the others" in the town is understandable. I chalk that up to scenes where we see faceless people doing stunts on Survivor. Unless it's a situation like Survivorman, there will always be footage of grips, electricians, psychologists running around a reality tv set.

I thought the Alex and Jared parts seem more forced than usual. But what really creeped me out was Alex's parents reactions. It seemed like it was no big deal to them. The mother didn't even sound too thrilled to hear from her son. Maybe I was raised in a hyperactive/ hyper-emotional family, but the body language and the voice inflections were nil. but then again, maybe when he called, they weren't home so they kind of had to fake it and piece it together.

My heart went out to Anjay who said that BC was the only place he felt like he fit in.

But what really creeped me out was Alex's parents reactions. It seemed like it was no big deal to them. The mother didn't even sound too thrilled to hear from her son. Maybe I was raised in a hyperactive/ hyper-emotional family, but the body language and the voice inflections were nil. but then again, maybe when he called, they weren't home so they kind of had to fake it and piece it together.

I noticed that too and it bothered me. I started to mention it, but didn't want to have to go back and edit my post again. Plus, I thought maybe it was just me. Glad to see it wasn't. The whole thing felt so static I actually almost cried for Alex. My mom is the kind of person who doesn't believe in showing emotions, not even to her children, and that was the vibe I got from Alex's parents. If that were my child calling after being gone for weeks I would be in tears telling him how much I love and miss him and how proud I was of him. So yeah, I know, I'm judging the parents again, (how dare I!?!?!), but that's just my feelings on it. They didn't even seem to think it was much of a big deal that he won the gold star. Even if I were wealthy beyond compare and my child was so excited about winning something like that I would be jumping for joy and telling him how wonderful he was. Again, just me. I think it's because I craved that kind of attention from my own mother as a kid and didn't get it. Well, really I guess I still crave some kind of emotion from her. Seeing Alex so excited and his parents so seemingly unimpressed was hard to take.

It's speculation on my part, but I'm personally convienced all these kids have limited contact with their families on some kind of regular basis. Maybe only 1 phone call a week. The reason I say this is because these kids appear extremely at ease for a being cut off from their entire support system. Most people don't understand how much of an impact that can be for any child. Most adults don't realized this this is also true about adults until they are completely blocked from having contact with their friends\family. Personally I'm convinced these kids have contact with their families and believe that if they didn't, a lot more of these kids would have gone home and\or the stress of being cut off would results in huge problems far outside the bounds of what would be consider normal behavior. Kids of this age can handle 1 or 2 weeks away from home, but beyond that, they would start falling apart.

i agree echo.....i've always thought that there was a parent right there..........in the next town or whatever. for hte kids who have to go home 'cause they can't hack it.....the parent is there to comfort right away

the body language and the voice inflections were nil.

I have to agree 100% here... She really didn't seem excited at all to hear from him and even less excited that he won the gold star... Maybe they are used to them going to summer camp or something where they are away for a couple of weeks at a time?

The three children that went home was of the younger kids. They could miss their family just having to sleep in the bunk-houses and not in their own beds. I too think that they have some contact with their family during the 40 days.

Ok... is it just me, or does some epsiodes seem to be better edited that others? Some are well edited and others I feel was either re-edited or rushed. Just wonderin'. I'm not home yet.....when I get home I'll watch last nights' show (I have faster internet than my Mom.) I'm going to watch for what JFetch, and Francis was talking about. :pixiedust:

Seriously, you need to get a TiVO.

No one sells TiVO in our town, I have checked with my cable company and they said it wouldn't work on their system. I have a DVR (from the cable co.) and it gets full all the time with stuff for the hubby. I have been using it a little more often now. :pixiedust:

Yana........:):heart:

Welcome to Morty's Yana. I hope you like it here. It is a nice place most of the time, just keep eye out for "The Others" :animated_bouncy:

The kids did not talk to their families while they were there(except if they won a star). The parents got regular phone calls from the producers updating them about their kids.

As for the reaction of Alex's parents, some people just aren't very emotional.

One last thing. Sophia was great in this episode. She showed that she's smart, knows people, and is a good leader. I would love to see the kid's reactions when they found out why she did some of things she did. At the time they must have thought she was crazy when she roped off a square and claimed it. She amuses herself with social experiments.

PELVIS has left the building.

:animated_rotfl::animated_rotfl::animated_rotfl:

My heart went out to Anjay who said that BC was the only place he felt like he fit in.

Huge ditto.

JFETCH:

The kids did not talk to their families while they were there(except if they won a star). The parents got regular phone calls from the producers updating them about their kids

And how do you know this? Anything posible, like it is posible, but extremely unlikely, that 40 kids were dropped off in the desert to do whatever they want except for what is in "The Journal" they read every few days.

I'm not sure they've had contact with their parents other than an occassional letter, but they surely have adult contact. But the parents didn't seem too excited.

I'm glas I wasn't the only one that thinks it was weird

Ok, I just watched the episode. It was pretty good. I got teary-eyed when three of the kids talked. Ajay cried that BC is the only place he felt like he belonged. Jared when he said the gold star would help him go to college. Zack when he thought he deserved the gold star and got upset that he thought the council was disrespecting him. Its times like these that I'm with echo and wish, hope, and pray that all these kids "should"-"will" get a gold star. About 95% of these kids think or wish they could get a gold star.

Yeah....Alexs' parents were alittle odd.

Next week is the last episode.....and I'm really going to miss Kid Nation. I'm going to miss the kids too! :pixiedust:

TCS Wrote:

No one sells TiVO in our town, I have checked with my cable company and they said it wouldn't work on their system. I have a DVR (from the cable co.) and it gets full all the time with stuff for the hubby. I have been using it a little more often now.

Well you can tell your hubby he doesn't need to keep all the episodes of Monster Garage and America Chopper stored on your DVR :animated_bouncy:

Well you can tell your hubby he doesn't need to keep all the episodes of Monster Garage and America Chopper stored on your DVR :animated_bouncy:

LOL echo :) Those are some of his favorite shows.

Thank goodness that I have DSL so I can watch all the Kid Nation episodes again....when I have a question about something that has been posted I can still go back and watch it again. ;) Anyways....I'm gonna miss KN! :pixiedust:

Yeah, once Kid Nation is done for the season, and every single kid has earned his\her\its gold star. I'll probably pack up my saddle bags and fade off into the sunset never to be seen or heard of again. But then again, maybe not. Maybe I'll do what "The Others" like to do, come back under one of a dozen accounts and mind <BEEP> people. <insert evil laugh here> :animated_bouncy:

And how do you know this? Anything posible, like it is posible, but extremely unlikely, that 40 kids were dropped off in the desert to do whatever they want except for what is in "The Journal" they read every few days.

Because some of the families said this in interviews before the show started airing. Sophia's mom even said she wished they would stop calling so often.

She confirmed what CBS told Access, that parents were given status update phone calls every three days.

Interesting info JFETCH. With Sofia I can see it, but with the younger kids it is difficult to see them being able to handle being away from their support system for so long. I suppose if they screen the kids extremely well you could find 40 kids capably of handing it, but in general most kids couldn't.

Now that we are down to the final episode, it remain unanswered why several kids were little more than extras. Did they mentally\emotionally checkout, thus what they did do\say didn't fit into the show.