Sign in to follow this  
Cajunboiler

Amazing Race General Discussion

Okay, there are supposed to be no non-elimination legs in this race right? But Phil said 8 of the 11 legs were elimination legs. Does that mean 2 of them are super legs? No spoilers please, just speculation.

Well, that would be my guess. I figure they will have at least one of the "keep racing" legs. The other could be part of a super finale episode, where they transition one leg to the other with no elimination. Technically it wouldn't really be non elimination since there are always three teams racing for the finish.

This series gives me motion sickness after 10 minutes. I swear I think they use time compression. :animated_bouncy:

My poor Mom is 80 and she has a very hard time keeping up. She's always complaining to me that she's lost track of the teams. I think that its good that they show what place teams are in because it helps keep track. Yes, I can understand how people could get dizzy from all the jumping back and forth of the teams. Alot of times Mom will watch a little while and watch something else, then go back and watch the last 15 minutes or so. As time goes when they get down to about 4-5 teams she goes back to watching the whole episode. She can keep up with alot less teams. During commercials she's always calling me to help her catch up with whats going on.... :blush:

I enjoyed last nights show.....there's several older people this season....I just don't know how long they're going to last. I think that anyone that goes on this show should be very fit, and the older you are the more fit you have to be. JMHO :pixiedust:

TCS wrote:

I enjoyed last nights show.....there's several older people this season....I just don't know how long they're going to last. I think that anyone that goes on this show

I am not a fan of the TAR, but I do like how they cast the show most seasons. I generally like teams, the locations, and show is a great concept, The choppy MTV editing from start to finish makes me sea sick. :)

this is one of my favorite seasons (so far)

love the dynamics of most of the teams. they all seem to be pretty strong racers.

I like the general concept of TAR, but don't like how they eliminate teams. Elimination should be on a point system based on what place they arrive (ie 1st place gets 100 points, 2nd place gets 90 points, 3rd place gets 80 points, and so on) After 2-3 pit stops, the team with the lowest points get eliminated from the race. Currently the way the TAR is played, a team could be the best team 5 weeks in row, but have a flat tire, make a wrong turn, miss a flight, and they get eliminated. A point system would keep them safe for at least 1 one round because they drop out 1st place, but not out of the race. A point system would ensure the best teams make it to the final leg of the race. Once they are at the final leg, then have it a winner-takes-all race to the end.

A flat tire, a wrong turn, missing a flight are the facts of life; those are the unexpected that can make or break and the things that keep it interesting.

A point system would be more fair but less interesting. After 5 weeks or so the teams in back will be so far behind it will be boring to watch.

So if a team has gotten first place 10 legs in a row, the final episode would be pointless to watch because we all know who would win. It's much more interesting having eliminations based on who is last to arrive.

cajunboiler wrote:

So if a team has gotten first place 10 legs in a row, the final episode would be pointless to watch because we all know who would win. It's much more interesting having eliminations based on who is last to arrive.

Sure if it was a point system all the way to the end, my suggestion was to have it up to the final 4 (or whatever), then have winner-take-all-race to the end. I personally think a point system would make the game more interesting, at least for me it would be more interesting. Teams near the back would fight harder, and teams near the front might tend to get lazy thinking they are safer than they are. A well designed point system wouldn't allow for a single team to be safe from exiting the race if they lost two back to back legs, or be safe before the second to last leg.

I'm a smart guy, and I tend to think when they designed the game, they looked a various options, and decided that sudden death each round would work best on TV because it easy for the audience to understand; if your last, you go home.

I'm a smart guy, and I tend to think when they designed the game, they looked a various options, and decided that sudden death each round would work best on TV because it easy for the audience to understand; if your last, you go home.

If it aint broke, then don't fix it. Echo, you have mentioned in the past, you are not a big fan of TAR. TAR has several emmys and is consistantly a fan favorite. The point system would be a more fair way of running the race, but nowhere near as exciting for viewers.

I dont like the point thing..

this is a good season... but i still like the mirna season though.. too bad that short girl didnt win.

Sad shape the state of the world is in, when you can dig a hole and pan an ounce of gold in 15 minutes, and 10 miles a way people are living in poverty.

I am assuming, those pits were "seeded" with the gold. It can't be that easy.

It is sad......Africa has lots of natural resorces.....you're either very rich or very poor. No middle class. :( My brother has gone to Togo Africa many times with a medical team to help with the poor......he says the people are so poor, but they have big smiles on their faces, and they seem happy. He loves the people there.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was that easy to pan for gold. Africa has lots of gold, diamonds and other gem stones.

I for one could have had a really good time at that Luthuanian festival.

:animated_bouncy:

I'll even bet it could rival some of King's Mexican parades!

Just had a thought (I know that's rare). Next Sunday (not tomorrow night... or the night after tomorrow), will TAR be delayed due to the survivor usual 3 hour finale on sundays?

You called it Cajun ;) GO PINKS! :inlove::pixiedust:

I was surprised when some teams didn't know how to row a simple rowboat. I guess I take living near water and all that comes with camping as a kid for granted.

are there any NEL's in this season!?!?!??!

Well... Phil said at the beginning of the race that there are 11 legs, 8 are elimination points... and we've had 6 elimination points and 6 episodes. My best guess is that they are going to have superlegs instead of NEL's.

I read somewhere early on that there are no non-elim legs this season. I agree with Cajun - I think we'll have at least one of the "keep racing" legs.

Was anybody here against the non-eliminations? I didnt mind them. I wonder why they canned them?