Chatbox
    Thank you, everyone, that posted. When midnight rolls around in the BB house, I start the next day's thread. It is now Saturday October 1, 2016 Big Brother OTT Live Feed Updates There's a lot going on around midnight, I hope you'll all pitch in and post some updates. ~Morty
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfrider

Episode #9: Not Even Close To Fair

25 posts in this topic

Wed, Nov 14

8:00 PM Not Even Close to Fair

The pioneers learn about equality and that it's not an easy thing to achieve; a decision by the town council regarding the districts causes tempers to flare

That sounds like the episode that was supposed to air on 10/31 according to that TVG write-up. Will we see the Taylor drama resurface?

I'm looking forward to this episode.

Hoping that the teams get redistributed, and maybe even some changes in the council.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

I'm curious to see how S2 will play out knowing how everything was done this season.

Thank God Greg decided to run. Anjay is just ineffectual and just a face, not much of a leader at all.

Michael running was also expected, however, I was waiting for Michael and Sophia to raise their hands at the same time.

Zach (sorry he just looks like someone named Jared) is a douche. You can say all you want about how horrible Taylor was as a leader/ person, but Zach was mean. Zach was/ is a bad leader and should have NEVER been given power.

JK...duh...he should be the king of Bonannza city by now...

Jared? He's not on the council. You mean Zach?

I loved tonights episode. I take some guilty pleasure in saying that. I just like drama. Sadly it comes with children's tears in tow. Some of my thoughts on tonight's episode are.

Laurel lost points selfishly keeping her district intact. She lost even more by trying to make the other leaders look bad. Power has gone to her head. Its time she goes, and no... I don't think she deserves a chance at the star now.

Greg is back to his usual self. I really don't think he would make a good leader for blue. He may win because Anjay is so unpopular.

Speaking of Anjay... and i don't think a boy should ever hit a girl... but if he went off and popped Olivia in the mouth, you'd hear me cheer a mile away. That girl is such a snotty little... whatever... you know what I mean.

I feel bad for Guylan, but I think Mike was right. Guylan isn't leader quality, and it shows. DK should win it easily.

I wonder what Sophia said that was so bad. Echo, didn't you mention this earlier in the week. What if some kid called another kid a bad name. Well, there's your answer. It doesn't matter what we think. The producers will do what they please. And, I think her aoplogy was coaxed. I read somewhere they have shrinks for the kids on staff. I could see one of them telling her in a thearapy session that it was mean of her to say it and she should apologize.

The little girl who went home. 12 days left? Shame.

Wow, I gotta say I also loved this episode. It kept my attention throughout! I noticed immediately that they didn't cut Sophia saying something "horrible" about Guylan, and I agree her apology appeared coerced. I'm convinced more than ever now that we are just being shown kids being kids, although edited for drama, in all their faults and virtues. I'm very disappointed in Sophia for doing what she did. I would like to know what she said about him. Since they made it clear she said something and it wasn't just name calling, AND they bleeped the whole thing, I think it must have been pretty bad. Guylan said it was the worst thing ever, but of course that's from a kid perspective. I wonder if she used the "F" word in her description, and I won't type it here even if we can. I mean the nasty derogatory word against gays. I'm pretty sure she used the other "f" word, at least it looked like it to me from what I could see of her mouth. If, as I suspect, the apology was coerced or even just prodded by the producers, she still should have done it in front of the whole town. She said it about him in front of everyone, it's the least she could do to apologize in front of everyone.

The town's not the only ones unhappy with the council right now. Even though I felt bad for Guylan, he's not doing a good job. Laurel, while I still believe she is sweet, HAS let the power go to her head and said some very Taylorish things tonight. I'm glad Michael is running against her. I think he's got more of a sense of fair play and will do a better job. Because of what Sophia did to Guylan when she lost her temper, I'm glad she's not running. Something like that, if it really was as horrible as portrayed, should disqualify her from ever being a council member. Not saying she can't redeem herself, just saying no council chair for her. My opinion, and it's not humble. You can have your own. He'll win, I hope.

I don't agree that Greg is back to his old self. Yeah, he was hotheaded, but he always has been. That never changed. He's still working hard, or appears to be, even though he's angry at Anjay. I must say I think Greg is really co-dependent. I even got the feeling he is running for council just because Blaine is running. Greg can be a hothead, but as we saw with the little girl he can also be a sweetheart. In other words he's just a 15 year old kid, (except that I truly do believe he has co-dependency issues).

Blaine really blossomed and took right to being out from "under Greg's shadow" as he put it. I was happy to see it. He's becoming a character in his own right instead of just "that blond shadow of Greg's, you know the one". I thought he definitely deserved the gold star. I also think he'll make a great leader. I think I wrote under another thread that I thought he should run for council, I'll have to go check. Anyway, he'll beat Zach in a landslide I'm thinking. And it's time for Zach to go. Zach is better than Taylor, but not by very much. He gets a little power happy himself at times, and doesn't actually "lead".

Yep, DK will win it easily. I want to see how he does, so that's cool with me. I think he'll be a good leader. Probably more level headed and definitely a little more mature than either Mike or Guylan.

Ok, even though I truly believe it's just kids being kids, that doesn't mean I think they should all be given a break. Kids do things wrong and need to suffer the consequences of their actions just like adults do. It's all part of life and learning. If anything, I'm more convinced than ever that the producers aren't going to go out of their way to show them all in a good light. They're just going to show what happened, although edited for drama, and let the kid's actions/words speak for themselves.

Anjay is probably going to lose as well. And once again I have to say I think he deserves to lose at this point. He's not being a "leader". I don't know how well Greg will do, but I think he won't do as badly as people may fear. Even though he loses his temper he calms down and he works really hard regardless of what "class" he's in. He'll do fine. Let him deal with Olivia.

Once again the council was set up for failure by the "old book". Even Laurel, who thought for herself and decided it was a bad idea to split up all the districts(not just her own) came out looking bad because of it. The kids seem to think they have to do what the book says, even though Laurel proved they don't.

I laughed when Sophia cussed at Guylan(even though he was half right), but have to wonder why when Greg does it, little kids cry and are scared, but when she does it they cheer. The look on her face before she said it was priceless.

The one that went home had no effect on the viewers since we hardly ever saw her. Seeing Greg hug and pick her up and try and talk her into staying was the highlight of the season for him. I feel bad for Taylor losing her best (only?) friend though.

Blaine is the man now that he showed not only that he is a team player, but that he has class with the way he handled being traded to another district. I'm glad he got the star so the rest of the kids can see that someone besides green can get it.

I'm still seeing kids in the background that I never noticed before. I hope we get to see them, and not just because they decide to leave early. They said there were 12 days left, so that means 4 more episodes right?

Thank God Greg decided to run. Anjay is just ineffectual and just a face, not much of a leader at all.

Anjay is kind of socially dumb sometimes, but he has some people that are lashing out at him just to do it. Olivia is a brat, and loves to personally attack him just to see him get mad. Greg is mad because of the Blaine thing and can't see how it's better that way. He's just taking it out on Anjay. Neither of them would be any good at leading.

Port, good post, good points. Gotta go to bed in a few, but wanted to come to Anjay's defense a little.

Yes Anjay isn't leading well. He has the right ideas. It was his idea to take on the lazy girl. If the editing is true, that idiea worked out well for the town and the girl. His problem is, he gets flustered when confronted and has a hard time dealing with kids like Olivia and Greg. Still, he's a good kid. He's smart and I think he's put in good effort as the leader. Laurel has had it easy with her dream team. If the council was smart, they should have switched themselves around and left the districts alone... Well, Blaine had to go over to Yellow, that was kinda not fair to have those two big kids on one team.

Good post JFetch I agree with you 100%

Lots of comments I agree with.

I see what the pp does in regards to Anjay. He's probably intellectually smart but just socially doesn't get it/fit in. I've never liked him though.

I am pretty sure Sophia said fudge you from the situation and her lips moving.

...and I also enjoyed the bits of drama and tears. Adds some entertainment. This episode didn't keep my attn as much as it appears it did for others. I didn't find myself racing to the tv to see what happened next when I had to do little things here and there.... Just can't wait for LOST to come back.

Great show tonight!!!!!! And I hope the council is completly changed. Anjay is screwed Greg will destroy him I think in the votes. Blaine will beat Zach even though I think Zach has done a decent job certainly better than Taylor. DK will beat Guylan and he should I think he may be the best leader yet. I really think the town wouldn't be in good shape without him. Laurel I think just needs a change its time for a change at the top of green.

From what I could tell (and I'm actually very good at "reading lips" - which actually involves a lot more than just lips) even though it was blurred out, Sophia really did tell Guylan "Fuck you!"; and as someone said, the look on her face right before that was priceless. And from that look on her face just before she said it, it really did look like she couldn't control herself at the time and it just slipped out.

And although I could understand if her apology were coerced, I personally don't think it was. To me, she looked genuinely upset with herself while apologizing. After thinking about the repercussions of having said it, she felt bad. (But I concede that someone on the production staff or crew could have prodded her to not just feel bad, but to go apologize.)

I'm not naive, but I tend to want to ascribe altuistic motives to people's actions rather than believe the more likely selfish ones, so that in Michael's case, I was immediately imagining him going up to Laurel later and telling her that the only reason he is going to run for election is because he believes she deserves a Gold Star, and can't be awarded one if she stays on the council. (Yeah, not very likely, I know, especially from the preview of next week's episode.)

Oh, and I half-expected Mike to run for council again, but with DK running he wouldn't really stand a chance, not only because lots of the red team really like and respect DK, but also because they would probably prefer to give someone new a chance.

Sure he was a bit upset about losing a friend/ ally/ brute strength for comps to another district. who wouldn't? But I saw Greg's running as an opportunity to team up with Blaine again, not as a power struggle.

I wonder who raised his hand first? The world may never know.

I thought Guylan's comment, though somewhat truthful, was ill timed; however, Sophia's remark, though funny, was to serve one goal: to prove to everyone in the town that although she is not a council member, she is the big dog of the green team. The "pause for effect" moment right before she slowly turned to Guylan couldn't have been more choreographed.

I half-expected Mike to run for council again

You kidding? He is so happy to be off the council.

Fuskie

Who expects Mike will reach out to Guylan again after he is voted out...

But I saw Greg's running as an opportunity to team up with Blaine again, not as a power struggle.

You may have something there Francis_3. I didn't think about that at the time, but it would serve very well as a way for Greg to be back with Blaine more often. You're probably right on in your assessment.

Fuskie

Who expects Mike will reach out to Guylan again after he is voted out...

Fuskie I still love your siglines. Never stop writing them. I've been thinking about all we've seen of Mike since he left the council and it appears to me that he's a very soft-hearted, emotional kid. I loved the fact he went back to Nathan and apologized and was trying not to cry. The backstory he told about knowing how it feels to be teased and picked on made me tear up a bit. I think you're right, he will reach out to Guylan again. He may be quick-tempered and not very good at leading, but he's got a lot of heart. I noticed that when the town was cheering on Sophia after her comment Mike was looking like he felt really bad for Guylan.

JEDI wrote

I'm not naive, but I tend to want to ascribe altuistic motives to people's actions rather than believe the more likely selfish ones, so that in Michael's case, I was immediately imagining him going up to Laurel later and telling her that the only reason he is going to run for election is because he believes she deserves a Gold Star, and can't be awarded one if she stays on the council.
(Yeah, not very likely, I know, especially from the preview of next week's episode.)

Jedi, Good comments. I like your posts. I think you are perceiving the show the way the producers and CBS would like all viewers, especially children, to to perceive it. You're the type of person who I feel would be a good influence when around children.

Echo, I am totally kidding when I say that you're wasting your time sucking up to me, because Yana is in charge here!

But in all seriousness, I was baby-sitting my niece (she just turned 3) last night, so I had to watch Kid Nation from tape, later on. I hope to be a positive influence on her life, and someday my own children's too. Overall, the Kid Nation kids are a really great bunch. Naturally, there will be a few problems, especially with the producers manipulating the situation to add stressful things at every turn.

P.s. To attribute the quote properly, type the person's name into the QUOTE code, like this:

Greg will win for blue

Blain will win for yellow

DK will win for red

Michael will win for Green

Anyone think Bonanza City will have an issue with an all male town council?

Anjay isn't good with the quick retort in the face of a bully. His calls for reason fall on deaf ears when others insist on being unreasonable. He has shown leadership during the showdowns, has used his brains and has consistently and selflessly acted in the best interests of all.

Greg keeps going back and forth. One minute he is the caring big brother, the next he is leading a mob with very personal attacks. I think that the TC's mistake was in making small changes rather than shuffling up the entire town. Moving one kid from one district to another allowed the clicks to remain in place. A complete overhaul would have put everyone in the position of forming a new district.

Sophia has fallen on my favorite kids list. Her attack on Guylan was inexcusable and I am sure her apology, as was Mike's, came after the kids had a counseling session with the town shrinks. While I do not think the kids are told they did something wrong and must apologize, I do think these therapy sessions seek to help the kids understand why they said or did something and then lead the kids towards realizing they need to take further actions.

BTW, I think Guylan was dead on target, as Jonathan noted repeatedly during the showdown. Greg himself worried that blue had taken on too few rocks. Blaine was an ox for Yellow, and the younger kids beat out Blue in terms of weight. Green started out heavy but quickly bailed on their bundle as Laurel was focused on a district win. But Red deserved a lot of credit because they carried more weight than the other teams and from the outset their goal was reward, not class.

The way Nathan was treated was just horrible. So what if a kid does things his own way? Jared of all kids should understand that people are different. The problem is that Jared does not realize he is different. But Nathan is a martyr who just goes around doing his job because it is the right thing to do, but burdened by the belief he is not valued or liked. I would have liked to have seen Mike stand up for him to the whole district and a kumbaya moment, but this is a reality show, not a Utopian show.

Fuskie

Who thinks Laurel blew her chance for a gold star when she put winning ahead of the best interests of the town...

I thought Guylan's comment, though somewhat truthful, was ill timed; however, Sophia's remark, though funny, was to serve one goal: to prove to everyone in the town that although she is not a council member, she is the big dog of the green team. The "pause for effect" moment right before she slowly turned to Guylan couldn't have been more choreographed.

I think you are on to something there Francis. She did pause there. I also agree it was the FU remark previously mentioned.

So many people said negative things about Laurel in regards to this episode and I can’t understand why as I didn’t see her doing anything other than being as she always is a good leader.

It's because the show is Kid Nation and the goal is to create a successful town. Even the theme of that episode was dealing with equality. Green being successful and "perfect" MUST come after the success of the whole town. This is how revolutions begin.

It wouldn't be so bad if she just didnt give up anyone or take on anyone. What makes it bad, was her smart mouth about how her district is perfect the way it is and she cares about her district and the other leaders should do the same, blah blah blah. She's smart and has leadership qualities, but she got lucky with her district picks. If she was in charge of blue, she'd have to deal with Greg and Olivia, and Anjay would be King of the Green.

When I watch Kid Nation, part of the time I feel like I'm watching 'Lost" in that something odd jumps out at me that doesn't seem to fit just right, or is too perfect in some way. A few things I thought was interesting.

1) When hauling the rocks, all the teams seemed have a pretty damn good idea as to what 500lbs of rocks would be. Not sure how\what\why they could be so close.

2) When being asked who wants to run for City Council, for second time, no more than 1 kid from each district is a challenger. Footage is missing here on how that happened.

3) The swapping of kids between districts gave me a feeling that a lot was missing from what we were shown. While I feel it is admirable to select outcasts to be on your team, it is not typical\normal for kids this age to consider. I can only speculate, one option that comes to mind is that council were told by producers, or given a very short list, which children need to be switched, but the council had to decide among themselves who went where, and to do as part of roleplay, not discuss it on camera as "
OK, here is a list of kids who the producers tell us have to change districts, we don't want to do it, but we have no choice
".

Not of these kind of issues concerns me, it just continues to reforced that what we are shown on TV is a very limited and not reflective of reality. Things are shown out of context if it serves to tell an intereting story.

:animated_bouncy:

1) When hauling the rocks, all the teams seemed have a pretty damn good idea as to what 500lbs of rocks would be. Not sure how\what\why they could be so close.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I just figured whoever designed the challenge did some math and estimated how much X number of kids could push. Or they did some preliminary testing with some local kids and came up with the 500lb goal.

2) When being asked who wants to run for City Council, for second time, no more than 1 kid from each districted raised their hand.

Another thing I noticed. Great minds think alike? Anyway, I thought Sophia would raise her hand too. Something is odd going on there.

3) The swapping of kids between districts gave me a feeling that a lot was missing from what we were shown. While I feel it is admirable to select outcasts to be on your team, it is not typical\normal for kids this age to consider. I can only speculate, one option that comes to mind is that council were told by producers, or given a very short list, which children need to be switched, but the council had to decide among themselves who went where, and to do as part of roleplay, not discuss it on camera as "OK, here is a list of kids who the producers tell us have to change districts, we don't want to do it, but we have no choice".

i don't think these are "typical" kids. They are hand picked and therefore can't be classified as typical. So Anjay picking an outcast may have been his own idea. I do agree that it was odd how each district only moved one kid. (except for Laurel because her district is "perfect")

Did anyone else notice that in one of Mike's interviews, he was talking about how Guylan said that they needed smarter people in their district and Mike said something to the effect of, "We ARE smart. That's why they picked us!"

I noticed that. I think they were told the average weight of each of the rocks. They were all almost the same size.

2) When being asked who wants to run for City Council, for second time, no more than 1 kid from each district is a challenger. Footage is missing here on how that happened.

Probably, but it's not a big deal.

3) The swapping of kids between districts gave me a feeling that a lot was missing from what we were shown. While I feel it is admirable to select outcasts to be on your team, it is not typical\normal for kids this age to consider. I can only speculate, one option that comes to mind is that council were told by producers, or given a very short list, which children need to be switched, but the council had to decide among themselves who went where, and to do as part of roleplay, not discuss it on camera as "OK, here is a list of kids who the producers tell us have to change districts, we don't want to do it, but we have no choice".

There was a lot missing, like the final meeting when they finalized the kids that would be moving, and that green would not move anyone. It was to build drama until it happened. They can't show everything in an hour.

Plus I don't think the producers had any input on who to move, otherwise green would have moved someone also.