Sign in to follow this  
wolfrider

Episode #7: The Root Of All Evil

Hmm this episode was nothing like what was written in that write up. Equality? Districts redrawn? Next week looks like the kids will organize a talent show, so where did that write up come from?

They didn't show it here. They showed a college football show instead. I hate The University Alabama even more now.

Jared showed a bit of a temper when he became upset that Divad was selling the potatoes she got from the kitchen for free. But then he showed some humility when he apologized. It seemed to be a theme as Greg was first hard on Nathan but then apologized and championed him for the Gold Star.

What bugged me most, though, was that both Pharoah and Divad (parents wanted a boy and planned to name him David?) campaigned for the Gold Star. This may have happened before but this is the first time we saw it, Pharoah telling Zach how poor his family was, and Divad telling anyone who would listen (including the Town Council themselves) how hard she worked. Neither worked for the good of Bonanza City.

Fuskie

Who notes that Taylor was reduced to a single camera interview...

Jared's blow up was surprising. I liked his ingenuity in making the necklace keepsakes. When he bought all the clothes and the hat and strolled around town, I had to laugh. The kid is a riot.

Divad really doesn't "get" what the gold star is about. The council is right. It isn't about posters and handing out food. That boy Nathan, though i never heard his name mentioned before this episode, deserved the star.

I'm glad Greg apologized. I wonder if that was prompted by the producers? He started to laugh just before he was going to say something. But, at least he aoplogized and campained for Nathan's gold star.

I'm sorry, but red and green stink in comps. Blue team almost got 48 eggs by themselves. The most red and green can do is 5 and 6?

Guylan's leadership isn't working. He seems lost. Mike was better suited for the job.

When he bought all the clothes and the hat and strolled around town, I had to laugh. The kid is a riot.

Me too. :animated_rotfl: The boy would be a hit if he were on Beauty and the Geek 10 yrs from now.

I'm glad Greg apologized. I wonder if that was prompted by the producers?

Maybe it was, but I didn't think so. Considering he pushed Mike in the beginning and no one made him do anything that I recall, I can't imagine producers making him apologize for making Nathan cry. Seemed more like Greg had just cooled off and was left in a position (alone with him) that gave him an opportunity to do the right thing. Although I don't remember who sleeps where, so if it was normal to be in there together.

I was also glad Nathan got the star. What a cutie.

What the hell happened? I thought they were going to punish Taylor Trash or chase her out of town. I am so frustrated that nothing like that happened.

Not only that, they made her look well behaved and seem like a regular girl. Talked about biased editing. They are making he look good intentionally. I bet by the end they will edit her so she looks like a hard worker and even nice to other people. I bet they are trying to make us think that not all beauty princesses are Spoiled Rats, well we have already seen how much a spoiled rat she really is.

Jared is still my favorite... and his new duds and walking around town like he is the cat's meow was just too precious. Love that kid. :)

Hmm this episode was nothing like what was written in that write up. Equality? Districts redrawn?

I was thinking the very same thing! I didn't see anyone refusing to work either.

I wonder if they decided at the last moment to reorder the episodes. The episodes very loosely follow a time line, and unless a person is paying very close attention, the episodes are very much stand alone. Even some after 7 episodes, kids are still showing up for the first time.

Boy did they single out that black little girl for being a Brown Noser. Yet another example of kid who will see the errors of her ways by episode 13. That one is just TOO OBVIOUS! :animated_bouncy:

The Greg apology was staged (multiple camera angles with pretty damn good lighting). Now, what I think could have happened was that there was an intervention by adults before hand, and had the boys work things out (off camera). Then staged things a bit for the camera, showing them resolving their conflict. Or maybe the two boys did work things out on their own, but not when the cameras were present.

I stand by my prediction that in episode 13, all remaining kids will be awarded a Gold Star.

I do not think the episodes have been reordered. Day 20-22 pretty much comes after Day 19 and before Day 23. As for the camera angles, it is not unusual to have multiple videographers to catch scenes from different perspectives. Perhaps they were anticipating another blowout. Perhaps Greg had indicated his intention of apologizing. These kids are not stupid - they talk with producers, know what they want and work with them to get it. They also spend time each day with counselors, just like the HG on Big Brother spend time in the DR. I do not know what goes on in the sessions, but I am sure it is a bit of self-psychoanalysis, why did you do that, let's explore those feelings, would you do it differently if you had the chance, etc. I do not think Greg was told to apologize, nor was Jared to Divad but I would not be surprised (or disappointed) if the kids were led to come to that conclusion on their own.

Fuskie

Who notes this peace-keeping measure seems to work for everyone but Taylor, who was mercifully minimized in this episode...

I'm guessing if they did change the order of the episodes, it was to have this one as the Halloween episode. The commercials showed it as that, even though all it really had was a bat.

I'm only part way through the episode since the CBS site decided to quit streaming mid show.

I think selling food that belongs to everyone is kind of stupid, and I'm glad people took offense to that. It would be illegal in the real world. I can't go in your house and take you're stuff, and then sit in you're yard try to sell it back to you. What Jared should have done was walk up and take whatever he wanted without paying. It's his right to since it came from the kitchen. These kids love to waste food though as shown by Jared and Sofia.

It's hard to know exactly how things come about, but I sense invisible hands working in the background so that conflicts get resolved. The intent of the show is that conflicts get resolved, and kids learn lessons. There might have been a few kids who truly didn't like each other, but that footage, if it exists, will never seen on the show.

It wouldn't surprise me if Greg has a personality of being a bit of a hot head, but when he cools down he can see he didn't handle things well and does applogizes without having to twist his arm. Whatever happened in the bunkhouse, it was anticipated.

I'm guessing if they did change the order of the episodes, it was to have this one as the Halloween episode.

I'm wondering if the episode written up was either postponed or dropped due to the extreme Taylor reaction among the public. And that leads me to wonder if it was "suggested" to Taylor to see what would happen if she refused to work -- and the whole story line went way out of control among viewers.

What a surprise - teasers not telling the full story of what an episode is about.

Fuskie

Who thinks this show is more like Survivor than he thought...

I agree Fuskie, with your sigline I mean.

About the episode, well, I was glad they cut Taylor down to a single interview thing. I want to see some of the other kids' storylines and Nathan's was a nice change. Makes me think though that they are purposefully pulling away from the Taylor line so we'll forget about her a bit.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed with Mike's leadership, but Guylan's is worse. I know he's a kid, but so is Zach and Anjay and they are doing decent jobs. Guylan does a good job with mediation and such, but leading in the challenges and getting people to work together might be a little beyond his current scope. He'll get there, but I think Red will vote in a new leader before he gets there on KN.

So now we know who the girl was who got grease splashed! And it wasn't any of the predictions. Interesting.

Wish they would have redone the districts. Even next week doesn't mention it. Ugh.

Oh, and final note: I was rolling on the floor watching Jared after he "pimped out" in town! That was absolutely hilarious! I kept hearing lines from "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka!"

i love jared! he's so stinkin' funny!

Jared has been one of my favorites since the beginning!

I also like the host of the show ...i have never seen him before but damn is he a cutie!

Jared was a hoot when he strutted his stuff....cute kid!

The add came straight from a scan from tv guide Magazine , I notidced they did not redraw the districts also . Even TV guide Magazine known to be wrong from time to time , wonder if that was entended for next week or something.

I knew Jared was going to have that temper tantrum from the commercials last week and being in the chat room with Fuskie when he Yelled Jared in shocked typing. But he is a smart kid and I knew he would calm down and appologize . I don't know if his parents knew it or not when they allowed him to go on this show but Jared has alot of tv presence , I would not be surprised if this is not the last we see of Jared on the tube.

What do you think Fuskie you know his parents if they want him to do another comedy tv show will his parents allow him to continue on , since he has become the kid nation star.

Yeah, now that I think about, the episodes are probably in order; its the media release info that is out of whack.

Not to sure about the reordering of the episode theory. Maybe, but there would be tell-tale signs. For instance, they got new clothes this episode. From now on, they should have those clothes. Divad got burned by the grease. (She's lucky she didn't lose an eye.) The marks on her face weren't in previous epsidoes and she should have them for awhile. So I just don't think they did anything like that. Maybe TV guide mixed up the write-up?

The Greg apology seemed staged to me. I think echo has it right. The two boys may have made friends off camera and the producers asked them to reinact it for the camera. Greg's laugh just before he apologizes is what triggers my thought. He says, "Nathan..." Then he looks off camera and chuckles like a kid with the spotlight on him that forgot his lines. Then he goes on with the apology. Multiple cameras have both boys rolling at the same time. Its no big deal. I understand its a part of TV production. As long as some producer doesn't say "Hey Greg, you were kinda rough on Nathan, we'll have the cameras set up at 9 so you can apologize... OK?"

Baron wrote

"Hey Greg, you were kinda rough on Nathan, we'll have the cameras set up at 9 so you can apologize... OK?"

I agree, I don't think they do anything like that. The probably try to get as much as they can as it happens, but not afraid to reinact something that happened when the cameras weren't around. Now, why would they do that at all? I mean, why do they seem to think it is important that these kids be shown making amends with each other?

Well, Nathan won the star, so they had to give him airtime. His conflict with Greg gives the viewers something to feel sympathy for him. However, if they just left it as Greg picking on Nathan, then Greg looks bad. So now we have sympathy and we forgive Greg for being a jerk, and we're happy Nathan gets a gold star because he is such a hard worker.

By the way, was Nathan the one that ran into the barrel and banged his knee on a previous episode?

I don't think Greg is a bad kid, but I can see he easily could be made to look like town bully who the kids don't like. He's older, he's bigger, he has a hot tempter. Wouldn't take much show just that one side of him. Assuming the bunkhouse was some kind of reenactment\roleplay, I just find it rather interesting they'd want to make sure they had footage of the two of making amends. They did the same with other two kids as well. Seems like a theme about apologizing and not hold grudges.

Jared was a hoot when he strutted his stuff

I was thinking he looked like a pioneer pimp. :lipsrsealed2:

As for the apology, I think more likely Greg was talking to the counselors and they talked about Nathan and helped him come to the realization that he was being too hard on him (you know how shrinks keep prodding you until you rationalize the idea they want you to think was your own). Then it was just a case of following and waiting for "the moment." These kids aren't stupid - they know what producers are looking for.

Fuskie

Who does not think Jared came into the show looking for a career in television, and doesn't think he is expecting one afterwards either...