Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Kate & Pat

After watching Chip and Riechen, Alex and whomever, and two seasons of Bill & Joe, Danny & Oswald, I'm a bit surprised at the negativity toward these two and the fact that they expressed affection for each other.

I loved the fact that AR finally showed a normal gay couple. Not every gay person is flaming, young, or hot. It shows that there is a depth to such relationships..that it's not just about lust and sexual activity, there are real, genuine feelings involved. It was a nice change...finally!

Why does TAR HAVE to have a gay couple each season anyway? I understand trying to be diverse, but then... where's the American Indian couple? Where's the 60 year old guy married to the 20 year old couple? Hmmm How about the middle aged guy who calls himself Baron couple? I have nothing against the gay community. They have certainly been discriminated enough. I just think the gay community would get tired of being represented by the likes of Danny and Oswald, Richard Hatch, and Marselle.

Baron, I agree. I'm sure they're feeling quite refreshed having ppl like Kate and Pat "represent" them.

I agree with you though on the whole "representation" thing. Why do we tend to do that? That's a good question. Just like Kaysar "represented" Muslims in BB. I guess we're just so use to seeing the stereotypical portrayl of various groups of ppl that it's nice when we see those who break that stereotype to bits.

why do people have to represent a group anyways?

why cant they just represent themself?

heck, Oklahoma always get represented bad.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Amazing Race Clergy Couple Are No "Wimps for Jesus"

by Rochell D. Thomas

Thursday, November 15, 2007

071115int3amazingkatepat.jpg

Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson, The Amazing Race

They've survived cancer, the muddy hills of Ireland and a stubborn donkey, but it was a mild form of hunting that did the lesbian California couple in. Episcopalian minister Kate Lewis and deacon Pat Hendrickson became the second team eliminated from The Amazing Race 12 when they lost precious time searching for a marked two-wheeler in a bike garage in Amsterdam.

TVGuide.com: Ah, the married ministers. You two have been together 10 years?

Kate Lewis: Yes

Pat Hendrickson: I just wanted to say that we actually refer to ourselves as partnered clergy as opposed to married ministers.

TVGuide.com: Why partnered? Is it because gay marriage is not yet legal in most states?

Pat: We have received the blessing of our union in the church. But that's different from [being] married legally. Which we cannot be in California.

Kate: And we want to make the political point that we're still not married.

TVGuide.com: Kissing on national television is one way to make a political point.

Pat: It wasn't like we said, "Let's kiss and get it on camera." We didn't even think twice about it.

Kate: I guess that was a big deal, huh.

TVGuide.com: Sort of. Remember there was a woman on Survivor...

Kate: ... and when she brought her girlfriend [over after she won a reward challenge], they didn't show them together. Maybe this is one of the first times a lesbian couple has been shown like this. Wow.

Pat: Kudos to CBS.

TVGuide.com: Kate, you made me laugh when you said God doesn't care whether or not you win.

Kate: I believe that with my whole heart. I mean, look at football teams. Each team is praying that they win. Like God is really in a conundrum over what to do.

TVGuide.com: So along those lines, who wins a Grammy is not high on the list of His priorities.

Kate: Probably not. I dare not speak too much for God. But I think definitely some of what we see with our Christian brothers and sisters [is that they] have the opinion that if God favors them, they'll be richer, like that's a sign of God's favor. That I would really challenge. God cares deeply about who gets fed and who doesn't. God cares about people who are hurt and not hurt. God cares about justice. God cares about those of us who love each other and who work together for peace.

TVGuide.com: Pat, why'd you say that you and Kate are not "wimps for Jesus"?

Pat: Well, the concern was that because we're clergy, maybe we wouldn't be willing to elbow somebody to get a cab. That we would not be willing to really be out there competing and doing what we'd need to do to win the race. And that is not true. You can respect somebody and still run past them or steal their cab.

TVGuide.com: But thou shalt not steal! Even if it's a cab.

Kate: [both laugh] But it also says that you can't eat cheeseburgers, and I had a cheeseburger yesterday.

TVGuide.com: Point taken. Now, Pat, what happened to your leg? It sounded like there was an injury.

Kate: Oh, we were just getting out of the car at the airport and we were stiff. That's a daily thing.

Pat: And I have bad knees. I'm in physical therapy and one of the things that I'm supposed to limit is climbing and bike riding. So by the time we were through with our part of the race, one of my knees was just not [cutting it] at all anymore. And it wasn't helping that I was carrying that extra 40 pounds.

TVGuide.com: Have you lost 40 pounds since then?

Pat: Yes.

TVGuide.com: What? Did you leave there and go to Biggest Loser?

Kate: I know!

Pat: No. But the race did turn around two life-changing things for me: the fact that I had really let myself get so overweight and that I'd taken the attitude, "What the heck, I'm 65. I get to be old."

TVGuide.com: When did the lightbulb go on?

Kate: When we were climbing up that hill in Ireland!

Pat: People have said, "Oh, it didn't look like you were really trying." But they don't understand how out of shape I was.

Kate: The fact that she made it up there

Well, I still like these ladies, but I'm really not sure why they were picked for this race. There have always been very physically demanding aspects to this race -- many challenging to the most athletic people-- so they never had a chance starting out with bad knees, etc...

why do people have to represent a group anyways?

why cant they just represent themself?

heck, Oklahoma always get represented bad

I don't like it either that they they feel like they have different groups represented. They almost always pick someone way over the top to 'represent'. I wish they would quit with the little subtitle descriptions of each group. I remember the first AR I watched, there was a couple on who had been dating for several years, and were still virgins. Every time we saw them, that little tidbit was flashed on the screen. It couldn't just be that they were dating-- it had to be 'dating for 12 years, virgins'. Whatever...

Maybe they should have an AR where people apply and try out as singles, and they producers pick their partner.

It couldn't just be that they were dating-- it had to be 'dating for 12 years, virgins'. Whatever...

Maybe they should have an AR where people apply and try out as singles, and they producers pick their partner.

I remember the virgins. You are right, except the part of about the singles. TAR is fine the way it is. The family version should have killed the producer's desires to change the formula any more than a twist here and there.

i remember the virgins...

i dont know why they wanted to put that under there names though. it seemed like they were bragging or something.

I think the same year the Amazing Race premiered there was also another reality show called "Lost". instead of the 2 member team knowing each other, they were strangers that were teamed up at the beginning of the race. also.. instead of knowing where they were going... in this show, they were dropped of in the middle of no where and had to find their way back to the USA to win the money. they would get clues along the way to help them.

but it didnt do good with ratings and was canned before it could be saved... it premiered right before 9/11/01...

i always thought a season with teams being strangers to each other on AR would be interesting.

. Yeah, they were def. the nicest people in the house

I think you are getting your Reality shows mixed up :animated_rotfl:

I thought they were the nicest people on the Island

I think you are getting your Reality shows mixed up animated_rotfl.gif

I thought they were the nicest people on the Island

:lol: I'm so glad I'm not the only reality junkie out there!

As for putting strangers together for teams -- it might be interesting. But AR is my favorite reality show -- it's the one I'm not embarrassed to admit I watch, and I don't think anything needs to be changed. I just hope they cast people who they think would be good and fun to watch in the race, and not try to represent any certain groups, religions, nationalities, etc. Just people -- friends, siblings, couples, etc.

i remember the virgins...

i dont know why they wanted to put that under there names though. it seemed like they were bragging or something.

Sorry if this offends anyone, But the guy in that 'virgins, Dating for 12 years' couple made my gaydar go BIIZZZIIING!!

I think that he's a closeted homosexual hiding his sexuality due to his religious convictions.

I predict that some day he will be arrested in a bathroom stall in an airport in Minnesota.

Well... ok.... maybe not exactly like that. But I do believe that he needs to embrace his inner homo.

He seemed on the throes of it all through the race and poor Millie, She's just clueless. Can you imagine? TWELVE Years?!

The guy must feel more like her brother than her boyfriend.

On topic, I liked Kate and Pat a lot. And I agree, their status in the race had zip, zilch, nada to do with their sexuality or their religion.

It boiled down to the one thing none of us will be able to elude. Age.