Dade

Ari & Staella

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

The Amazing Race's First to Go Are Karma Victims

by Rochell D. Thomas

Thursday, November 8, 2007

071108int4staellaari.jpg

Ari Bonias and Staella Gianakakos, The Amazing Race

Karma's a, well, you-know-what. And when best friends Ari and Staella stole another team's cab at an airport in Ireland, the god of providence waited patiently and then, just when it looked like the two Californians were winning, pimp-slapped them with a vengeance, making them the first team ousted from The Amazing Race (Sundays at 8 pm/ET, CBS). Ouch!

TVGuide.com: You're the first out. Sucks to be you. After you left Phil on the mat, who cried the longest?

Staella: Me.

Ari: I didn't really have very much sad emotion until after the cameras went off, and then I cried for a little bit, and then I just kept walking. But Staella was pretty bummed.

Staella: I just, you know... nobody wants to be the first one to go. It's like you get a little taste of it, and then it's yanked from you. And it was just something so completely out of our hands. We were both thankful that at least it wasn't like I messed up or Ari messed up. We can say, "It was because of the donkey!"

TVGuide.com: Right, blame the stubborn beast that refused to carry out your task. How long did you try to coax the donkey to move?

Ari: At least six or seven hours.

Staella: We couldn't get this donkey to move after the first 20 feet.

TVGuide.com: Why didn't you change donkeys?

Staella: There were specific rules that you couldn't change donkeys. So we were just s--t out of luck because we got a bad one.

TVGuide.com: Give us a list of the things you tried to do to get that donkey to move.

Ari: Well, I sang to it.

Staella: We tried petting it and talking nicely.

Ari: Then I cussed it out. [Laughs]

Staella: In the beginning, it was kind of funny. But then when you see one team pass you, two teams pass you, and three and four, then you know you're at the back. That's when, like, the anger started coming out.

Ari: I mean, Staella ended up getting an allergic reaction, her eyes were puffy. We were both dehydrated.

Staella: I was sunburned by the end of the day. I had bruises from the donkey kicking me, and I had poop on my foot. Ari's foot was already sprained from running up the hill, and then the donkey stepped on him. So it was the worst.

Ari: The worst.

Staella: We literally had to push and pull a good three-fourths of the way. Until all of a sudden, the damn donkey decides to take off full force. Mind you, we're both exhausted and we're trying to keep up with this thing.

Ari: It brought a new meaning to "stubborn as an ass." Let's just put it that way. Now I hate donkeys.

TVGuide.com: Don't let PETA hear that. Now tell us something happy: Was it fun to ride the bike on the zipline across the ravine?

Staella: That was amazing. Neither one of us is really scared of heights. But when we were getting ready, I sat on the bike and looked out over the water like, "Oh, my god, we are really high." And all we have under us is this wire.

Ari: And me! [Laughs]

Staella: Yeah, and Ari

I was glad to see them go, as was the donkey.

Thanks Dade for posting the interview! I'm still glad they're gone! Wow! 6-7 hours trying to move that donkey. I was rooting for the donkey the whole time!LOL!!! We were wondering why they didn't change donkeys, we thought it may have been a rule now we know. Thanks! :animated_wave:

VGuide.com: You're the first out. Sucks to be you.

hAHA, I LOVE IT. im glad they were gone.