Sign in to follow this  
FLYNWA

Whats With All The Sores?

why do all these kids have sores all over their lips and faces.. Greg has sores all over his chin and the head council from member from the green team looks like she put her lips in a meat grinder!

I saw that too....it looks pretty dry where they're at. Maybe they're not

drinking enough water. My lips crack when I don't drink water.

^^

that's what I thought too but first noticed it on the red head chick several episodes back.

I thought it was a burn on the little girl... What is her name darn it...

I'd say the dry heat and acne. You think the crew could pass out some chapstick or something?

A majority of these kids aren't from a dry climate. And the wind will chap you like that. Plus kids lick their lips alot which is the worst thing you can do. Pass the bacon grease!

I agree, it's very dry and windy in New Mexico. Lived there a while and moving back in January. Although, it does surprise me that Greg's getting chapped lips so badly. He's from Nevada. Also dry, though maybe not as dry or windy depending on what part he's from. When we first moved to NM I was used to the heat and humidity of central and eastern Texas. So close to the gulf it's mega humid here whether it's 70 or 105 the humidity usually hovers between 40-90%. It was a shock to my system and I got major dry skin and chapped lips. For the first time in my life I had to start using lotion on my arms and especially my hands to keep them from cracking and bleeding. I also went through chapstick like crazy, but the worst to me was my hands. Especially in the winter when it was cold and so very dry. Not looking forward to getting used to that again, but I can't wait to get back to my friends and family in NM.

Doesn't surprise me at all that the kids are suffering from dry, chapped skin. Their next challenge should involve winning a supply of hand lotion and chapstick for the town.

Hey Port, based on your knowledge of NM, when do you think the show was filmed? Some of the scenes show snow falling and the kids in winter jackets. I know deserts can get cold at night, but it seems to be cold even in the day there.

I would think early spring, but I'm not positive about that. I know that in spring of last year (06) we had days where it was 80 degrees and then the next week we had 4 inches of snow and the temp didn't go above 35 for four or five days. It could be late fall, but it just looks more like early spring to me. Where I lived, most of the snow we got was mid winter to mid spring with very little in the fall. Plus, I don't think they would have put them out there during progressively colder late fall. Could be wrong though.

April.

Fuskie

Who is conserving words with this post...

To answer the original post, it's the wind. It's cold there, and the wind is always blowing, and that chaps your lips. Chapped lips with no balm turn into blistered lips. I'm hoping they get a reward of chapstick in a future comp.

Actually, I think Taylor (ex-council member of the Yellow team) apparently sustained a burn on her face from oil that splashed from a pan while trying to fry something (or so I think I read somewhere). And Greg injured his chin during one of the first couple of showdowns, and the scab is taking a while to heal (not forgetting that wekkly episodes are actually 3 days worth of real time).

Yeah, but just look at Laurel's mouth and you see what we are talking about. Of course her being a fair skinned red head in the desert probably probably doesn't help.

I was under the impression that it was Laurel that got burned not Taylor...

Well we finally got to see the dreaded grease burn episode that caused so much uproar. Oh, the horror.

It could have been worse. Grease in the eye is a bad thing. But, a kid could fall off the slide at school and break his neck. Not really sure what the producers could do to prevent these accidents and keep the show what it is.

Microwave bacon, just like the homesteaders used to have.

Fuskie

Who takes that back because kids are impatient and may not wait sixty seconds before removing the item from the oven...

From JFetch:

edit: I found this:

Divad, an 11-year-old girl from Fayetteville, Ga., whose mother wrote the letter of complaint and who was burned with hot grease while cooking

When they showed the clip on the episode the other night.....Divad talked about her cheek getting burned with hot grease, and acted like it was no big deal. I don't understand why her mom would make a big deal out of it. Unless it left a scar. I got burned by grease once and it took along time to fade away. But it did go away.

If I were a producer on this show and a child was hurt beyond a few minor scrapes, I would contact the parents and let the parents decide if they want their child to come home. I am assuming that grease spatter would warrant such a conversation. As a producer, surely the children safety is the highest priority.

I think if Divad had cried and carried on about it...they would have contacted her parents. She made it sound like it wasn't that bad. It looked like a small spot.

They did contact her parents when it happened. She then asked for an investigation. The police came on set and found nothing wrong.

The article was a very interesting read.

I believe that not all the children will get a gold star as many have said they think will happen.

I think that if Divad had got 20k the mother would not have complained but i think that now the mom is looking for some $$$$$!

They did contact her parents when it happened. She then asked for an investigation. The police came on set and found nothing wrong.

I'm glad they did contact her parents....it covers their butts......the police had to find nothing wrong....it was a small spot. You maybe right FLYNWA the mom was looking for some extra $$$$$.

I would contact the parents and let the parents decide if they want their child to come home.

Producers spoke with the parents of each kid every 3 days, as I understand it, and I am sure their health and well being was often a topic of discussion.

Fuskie

Who notes a kid could also get a grease burn frying bacon on a camping trip or using the stove at home...