Sign in to follow this  
Baron

Episode #3: Deal With It!

Sorry to hear that Yana. Yes, some bratty kids never manage to grow up, or take a longer time. Mainly sad for them because they are the ones who suffer the most, as they grow older they find themselves more and more isolated with fewer friends and their relatives preferring to stay at a distance. I am not very tolerant with bratty behavior at any age, just more forgiving with kids because there is very good chance they will grow out of it. I agree that Taylor has demonstrated some immaturity, I just perceive it as being mainly related to being 10; they have also shown her making good and touch decisions.

I don't think the microwave was a good decision. They were making do without it fine. The pizza would have done wonders for morale.

Well I agree that most kids grow out of by the time they are an adult! ....but I still do not agree that they grow out of it in a year or so as you originally stated. The teen years are the worse...

Yes, some do get worse before getting better; I have seen that too. Each child is unique in that regard.

Based on what I have seen of Taylor, there is nothing about her behavior that suggests to me that she one of the few who will get progressively worse into her teens and\or 20s. From what we have seen on the show in 3 episodes, she is not a self-center brat looking to better herself at the expense off all others. She's made unpopular decisions for the benefit of all; kids wanting to be popular tends to make a series of bad decisions that makes them feel loved\popular. She is not doing that.

I've worked with kids for almost a decade, and I only saw kids like Taylor around the pageant scene. You should see the parents of "professional pageant kids". Talk about demanding. They go from pageant to pageant, every weekend, and spend thousands of dollars because they want to show off their kid.

I'm sure she gets the whole "deal with it" line from her mom.

I still like the show and enjoy watching it with my son. As someone said before, better than watching some dumb sitcom that doesn't make you laugh.

I am glad the cast system was switched up. Though I did not want yellow to be at the top. The only good that could come out of that is that they see how hard others work and maybe, just maybe, it will inspire them. The rest seem okay with it.

I am not sure which point you are asking if Greg went to far. I did miss the first 10 minutes of the show.

Don't know. We see so little of the every day goings on of what ALL the kids do and don't do.

Microwave, definitely. As cold as it seems, the cocoa will come in handy and not be so short lived. Even my eight yr old understood that!

I watched this show for the first time.. I like Taylor. I was surprised at how Greg acted .. This show is interesting. I like it so far.

Taylor did pretty good and when the kids were kind of making fun of her, spitting her own words at her even though she deserved it.. I felt pity on her. Hit a soft spot , i guess .

I am glad to see yellow win the top spot. I was worried, the comps would always leave them in the running for last. Good to see they can compete, but Taylor isn't handling the job of leader well.

I like Greg. His problem is, he is too old to be mixed with this gang. A fifteen year old male, full of hormones, mixed with pre-teens with an 11 year old in charge is a dangerous situation. I don't fault him for being what he is, a young man on the verge of becoming and adult and not sure how to handle it.

I say pizza. The microwave helpes, but a treat goes a long way towards morale boost.

I think Gregs frustration at everyone sleeping in went a little too far when he started to get physical with people...although i dont think he meant any harm but like parents always said ---- keep it up and someone is gona get hurt!

Taylor needs to just get off the council pack her bags and go home...JUST DEAL WITH IT!

I love that everyone started to gang up on her and use her own words against her. It really didnt make me sad to see her cry. She is too immature to be on the council.

I like the fact that they are choosing what will help them most in the long run. They were righ pizza would have only lated a day.

Yana, OK you got me. I am totally lost. What did you find over at ew.com?

So where do you stand, TV Watchers? Glad the caste system got shaken up (though it does put PPT in with the swells)? Think Greg went too far, even if he did have a point? Would the star ceremony have gone down differently if you were on the council? And finally, which should it have been: pizza or microwave?

pizza!!! I think there are times you should choose enjoyment over a perceived need that is not as great as some of the others offered. I didn't view it as a "NEED" as they described esp. when the cooks themselves couldn't come up with a use other than cocoa.

OK Having grown up on a farm, I have done exactly the same as Colton did... Everyone thinks they are invincible at that age... Doesn't make it right or smart though...

I did that too Yana. I think that's why my mind just kind of glossed over it. I did get knocked down by a bull when I was about Colton's age and that put a stop to my daredevil ways with the cattle. Well, that and the punishment from my uncle for almost giving him a heart attack. First he made sure I was ok and the bull hadn't really hurt me, then I'm pretty sure I got a long talk and a spanking if I remember correctly.

The bull just kind of looked at me like I was crazy, walked up, head butted me onto my back and calmly walked over me as if I were an insignificant fly.

So where do you stand, TV Watchers? Glad the caste system got shaken up (though it does put PPT in with the swells)? Think Greg went too far, even if he did have a point? Would the star ceremony have gone down differently if you were on the council? And finally, which should it have been: pizza or microwave?

Yeah, I'm glad the hard working Greens are not on the bottom anymore. They bust their bottoms working and helping the town and I want to see them make upper class, at least once. I was disappointed that they yellow team got upper class at first, but then I realized that it's not their fault Taylor is their leader and they are just following her. I shouldn't blame the many for the actions of one, and though I didn't want Taylor getting upper class, truth is I don't think she would work no matter what class she gets put in. Heaven help them all if yellow ever makes the labor class and Taylor is still their leader.

Yeah, Greg went too far, but he did have a point. He's a volatile teen male and I agree with Baron that a 15 year old male is a little old to be there with a bunch of 8-12 year old kids especially when the leaders are all under 13. It just doesn't mix with the alpha male hormonal stuff that is going on with Greg right now.

The star ceremony would certainly have gone differently. I like Mallory and she is just nine and works, but realistically I have to say they did it cause of her birthday, and it shouldn't have been about that. Reward her next week, when it's not her birthday so it doesn't look to everyone else in the camp like having a birthday is enough to get you a star. What if your birthday isn't coming up during the show taping? Greg or Meagan, (I think that was her name) would have gotten the star if I could have convinced the other council members.

Pizza. PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA! So WHAT if it only lasts a day?? What good is a microwave if they aren't going to really use it much? And come on, a microwave in a supposed Pioneer town? The vast majority wanted the Pizza and it would have raised morale and made just about everyone happy. Now I can see not choosing the pizza if it were, say, a couple of milk cows or all the pizzas, but a microwave? Eggs, grits, oatmeal, canned food, ALL of it tastes better cooked on a stove rather than rubberized in a microwave. And really, you can cook for 39 people a LOT faster in a huge pot on the stove than you can in one tiny microwave! Get real. Should have been a huge Pizza party. If I were there and a kid, I'd have had a fit. You give me cocoa when I haven't eaten a decent filling meal in days? That's enough to cause a mutiny even among adults, much less kids!

The whole Pizza vs Microwave wasn't a win or loose choice. It was a win\win no matter what they chose. The pay off for choosing each is different that is all. Notice they got the whole Root beer party and they didn't win that (or we didn't see it). The producers will make sure they continue to struggle, but not suffer, when they make a choice of one thing over another. If they don't win something they really need, it more-or-less will be provided to them, of course earning something has a greater value\impact on the kids.

And similar to Survivor, I suspect there are competitions that occur that don't make it into any of episodes. And some events are not shown in sequence.

Greg is a good kid and clearly a hard worker. I like him too.

No way would the producers let an inexperienced kid go up against a bull. Either the kid knows what he is doing based on a lot of prior experience, or there are other hidden factors that makes the situation less obvious to audience how safe it really is.

The bull makes for great reality TV for kids, not necessarily for adults. From a kids perspective, the idea of facing down a bull is extremely cool along with pretty much everything else that happens on the show. From my perspective Kid Nation is nearly all fiction, the difference is that the dialog is not scripted nor are the kids reactions. All the situations are planned\scripted, if for no other reason, SAFETY.

Notice they got the whole Root beer party and they didn't win that (or we didn't see it).

One of the teams donated the money so everyone could have root beer. I doubt the producers expected that.

The pizza was the better choice, and it might cost the council their seats. If the people aren't happy, they don't work as hard. I think the other three council members should have worked on Taylor to set her straight, but it's probably too late for that.

I just don't see see the producers plotting and planning every scene. You think they had it all story-boarded?

"OK Bob, in this scene, Colton and 2 other boys will chase cows around. Make sure you get some docile cows from the ranch. We don't want any kids to get hurt... well not without the camera rolling anyway, nyuk nyuk nyuk!"

I just don't see it. It's more like those 3 boys took off and the cameras followed. Now, there may be safety handlers just off camera. But, that's different.

Also, while I am thinking about animals. I thought the sheep thing was kinda rough. I'm no PETA person by any means, but some of the kids with little animal experience, were jumping on the sheep's backs. You could see the animal's legs buckling. The farmers here will tell me its ok, sheep are tough critters. We do it all the time. But, it looked like there was an element of danger there for the animals.

They would have no reason to put dangerous animals near those kids. I would bet each of those animals were approved because they were of very little threat to the kids.

In regards to the sheep, I would think the animals were in no danger. There could have been a kid get stepped on by a sheep though. They were diving and missing the sheep. There is always a risk when dealing with animals. There is no way around that. That doesn't mean they should take all the animals out of the show. I just hope that every safety precaution was made.

One of the teams donated the money so everyone could have root beer. I doubt the producers expected that.

Actually, I think all the districts contributed toward the party.

It seems to me that Greg had two options when Yellow District didn't get up to cook his breakfast. He could make an a$$ of himself, or he could do something about it and cook breakfast himself. He chose a path that was divisive instead of constructive and to me, that is why he did not deserve to be awarded a gold star. The star should go to someone whose contributions to the town are selfless. I do not know if Mallory or Morgan would have better fit that definition, but Greg's actions certainly did not. It's not about how much you work but how you work.

Fuskie

Who applauds that twice now the Town Council has chosen long term planning over immediate gratification...

I thought I heard something about thanking the reds for giving their money so they could have that party... I could be wrong though...

CBS Kid Nation Sight still hasn't got the show recaps up , I have pics to do the episode in pictures but no recap . If they show up soon I will post it if not guess we will have to do with out this week.

You did hear that Yana , Laurel plainly said thank you to the Red District for contributing half of there money to fund this party.

It seems to me that Greg had two options when Yellow District didn't get up to cook his breakfast. He could make an a$$ of himself, or he could do something about it and cook breakfast himself. He chose a path that was divisive instead of constructive and to me, that is why he did not deserve to be awarded a gold star. The star should go to someone whose contributions to the town are selfless. I do not know if Mallory or Morgan would have better fit that definition, but Greg's actions certainly did not. It's not about how much you work but how you work.

The star is not for doing your job, it's for doing more than is asked. That's why Mallory didn't deserve it. She does what she's supposed to. Most of the kids have a "good attitude", so that's nothing special. She got $20,000 as a birthday gift. The council decided to take the easy way out and not give it to someone that actually deserves it.

Personally, I think Sophia works harder than anyone else there, and nobody else has even come close.

Personally, I think Sophia works harder than anyone else there, and nobody else has even come close.

But can she get another star?