Your Opinions On The Chicken Incident

Chicken Incident  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Chicken Incident

• They did what they had to do, more power to them
    • Children should not be made to witness, let alone do this themselves
    • It doesnt matter to me either way.
    • CALL PETA!!!

They did what they had to do which is why they had that letter from producers (or whoever) insinuating they do "just that."

The only weird thing to me was the crowd gathering around them of people who didn't want to be there. Wonder if they were told to go out there...

As I mentioned before, my only concern would be someone checking the food that is made to ensure no one becomes seriously sick from uncooked chicken. It's VERY easy to undercook chicken.

It's nice to see, that after all the discussion about it, the poll stands 7-0 to they did what they had to do. We might have different opinions about the situation, but still agree at the core of the subject.

I personally dont really eat meat. I think it simply tastes bad, it has little to do with ethics for me. But most people need to eat meat. Power to them, we evolved that way. Like DK inferred, you all eat meat and have no problem with it, but when you kill it? Like despite Emile's actions, I'm sure she loves a hamburger more than most. They needed to learn that meat comes from living things you can own, not the magical deep fryer.

I voted they did what they had to do.

However, They really didn't HAVE to do anything. They could live on the can goods for 40 days. What I find particularily interesting is the kids were fine with just the eggs. It was only when the producers sparked the thought of killing the chicken that the kids did it. What would have happened if nobody said anything. Would the idea have come to them on thier own? If this really was a Kid Nation with no adults and limited food, I suspect the kids would start killing the chickens on their own. But, since food is provided, the kids could live indefinitely without killing the chickens.

I would have preferred to see what would happen if the adults didn't interfere. What's next? Are they going to plant the idea of procreation in their heads? Let the show be as billed... 40 kids, one town, NO adults (other than to keep the place from turning into "Lord of the Flies".

Like despite Emile's actions, I'm sure she loves a hamburger more than most. They needed to learn that meat comes from living things you can own, not the magical deep fryer.

You make a good point, and one that I was wondering about. Doesn't Emilie say she lives on, and was raised on, a farm? Surely she knows that animals are most often raised for food on a farm. True, it may be from their products like milk or eggs, but it's usually also for their meat. And speaking of eggs, I notice they have at least one rooster in that coup. Doesn't Emilie realize that fertilized eggs are just baby chicks that haven't developed yet? Makes me wonder what kind of farm she lives on. I grew up on my uncle's dairy and I can tell you that to this day my very youngest cousins know exactly where that freezer full of meat comes from by the time they are old enough to understand. Usually by five or six at the latest. I knew that my bacon came from the pigs we raised as far back as I can recall. The pigs weren't pets, yeah I can remember playing with them when they were babies, but I knew they weren't pets. The dogs and cats were pets, and we didn't eat them. If it was common to do so I'm sure we would have, but they had a different function. The cats were there to kill the rats and mice that got into the silos and barns. The dogs were to help round up the cattle and guard against coyotes and the rare cougar.

Not all farms slaughter thier animals. I can see a farm with horses, a cow or two for milk. Chickens for eggs. Maybe a pig for show. Just becuase no animal is killed, and I have nothing against killing animals, doesn't make it any less of a farm.

I agree Baron, and that wasn't really meant to be my point. Sorry, it was all muddled up in there. It's just that most farms do raise an animal or two for slaughter. And eggs are meat. If you have a rooster in the coop those same eggs would, if allowed to hatch, be baby chicks. If a farm is going to raise chickens for the eggs, they do have to allow a clutch to hatch every know and then to replace hens or roosters killed by wild animals, disease, accidents, or old age. There's usually a brooding hen kept for that purpose, in my experience, and an egg or two from all the hens are placed in her nest so she will hatch and raise them. So really, to play devils advocate here because I don't mind the eating of the chickens, isn't eating an egg the same thing?

It's been rough for chickens on reality tv. The one on Survivor got voted out and these ones got their heads cut off.

I'm agreeing with Baron on the matter that the adults are a huge factor on the events that occur. The entire theme of the episode would never have arisen had it not been for the journal planted by the staff. But while this does take alot of realism out of the show, it does teach the kids a thing or two. I think that this will have been a remarkable learning experiance for all the kids. And by raising issues and stirring up controversey, the kids learn more and hell, its more fun to watch,

They really had to do it....remember, kids are easily influenced, especially when they are in areas they are not comfortable (remember the 14 year old who stayed with the pedofile for years), the producers are deciding what these kids do or don't do..(remember BB, Jen let it all out about the producers on that show,and we know Survivor restages it challenges sometimes)

(remember the 14 year old who stayed with the pedofile for years),

I would not call that easy manipulation. This is usually after threats for their own or their family's lives. That is a LOT different from getting the influence from a letter that already was a good idea and something the kids were complaining about (not getting good food).

They really had to do it

And if the town had voted not to kill the chickens, would the producers have been accused of bowing to political correctness and influencing the decision? Is there any decision the kids could have made that would not be the result of adult manipulation? I suppose producers also told Taylor and the Yellow District that cold is an excuse to not go to work. And I suppose a camera guy whispered in Michael's ear to pour hot water into the pump. I said early on that Kid Nation will reveal more about the adults who watch and weigh in on it. I think I was right on target with that.

Fuskie

Whose problem wasn't with the killing of the chickens, but the notion that 2 chickens could feed 40 hungry kids with over 30 days and only 16 chickens remaining...

I agree Fuskie... No matter what the kids did it would be damned if you do and damned if you don't...

The killing of the chicken was done to symbolically show that would be a reality of life it this were real (1880s western town). For them to feed 39 kids, they would have to kill at least half dozen chickens. I admit, I didn't think they actually would, but it makes sense that they did do it, and did show it. All planned in advance and highly supervised by experienced adults who slaughter animals.

OF COURSE, the show is staged, BIG BROTHER proved that this year when JEN AND EVIL DICK both called out the producers, also, their has been many reports of re-staging of games/challenges. It's so bad that even the so-called audience participation part (YOU know, that text in the answer and win X number of dollars) is even rigged...

England shut down most of these game shows and reality shows, and apologized to the people of Great Britian for letting it happen....

DO you really think they didn't know what was going to happen when they cast a kid who had been assisting a butcher? COME ON...

And, of course they voted, but not until the producers had their say, remember, all you see is the edits, not the whole story.

As I continue to say, the majority of these kids are CHILD ACTOR WANNABEES, they are going to go along with the producers, they want to be able to work after this is over......

First off, my views on the chicken.

Chicken is finger-licking-good! (Just ask the Colonel!)

Most kids don't grow up on farms, or get exposed to the "death" part of meat creation.

Personally, I was raised on meat, and when I finally made the connection between "chicken for dinner" and "chicken running around laying eggs", I think it took a week before I would eat meat again.

And I think many of us "sensible" adults would turn vegetarian if the only meat we were allowed to eat came from an animal that we had to kill (and clean) ourselves.

But it's really a way of life for some people, especially those who live on animal farms. And in pioneer days, that was pretty much everyone!

Since that is kind of what Kid Nation seems to be trying to emulate, I think it only fair that the kids were asked to think about it. And THEY (well, the majority - as determined by a council-led vote) decided to do it.

P.s. My sister would be a vegetarian, if she didn't love meat. She still cries while eating it, when we start saying things to her like "First, they cut off the head..." (Yeah, I know, we're cruel!)

----------------------------

I would have preferred to see what would happen if the adults didn't interfere. What's next? Are they going to plant the idea of procreation in their heads? Let the show be as billed... 40 kids, one town, NO adults (other than to keep the place from turning into "Lord of the Flies".

Speaking of procreation, I read the following interesting bit in an article this morning:

Parents and children were required to sign contracts holding them solely responsible for any "emotional distress, illness, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV and pregnancy" resulting from an intimate relationship with "another participant or anyone else".

(Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/2007/09/28...89520-19862316/)

(It's the "anyone else" part that REALLY worries me!)

:shocking::shocked2::scared::schmoll:

from what I've seen and been told, that is a standard contract. Usually they are written to prevent a lawsuit of any kind. Most comedians had to sign a similar one for LCS.

Remember,as disgusting as this show is, it was taped several months ago, if anything really serious had happened, it would be all over the news..

IF this show makes it to season 2 (I THINK IT WILL BE CANCELLED IN THE NEXT 2-3 WEEKS), there will be changes because everybody will be watching)

They really had to do it....remember, kids are easily influenced, especially when they are in areas they are not comfortable (remember the 14 year old who stayed with the pedofile for years),

I don't exactly get your referance mate. The Shawn Hornbeck story had more to do with brainwashing and repititon. Like you said, Michael Devlin had him for four years, these kids are here for forty days and aren't pressured into extremes.

(Gah, forgive metioning that, I just always talk about that subject as the pedofiles brother was my teacher a few years back).