Sign in to follow this  
morty

Episode #2: To Kill Or Not To Kill?

^^^OMFG, that was funny!!

Well, the ratings are in, and, depending on which service you look at, they are pretty bad...the show looks like it has about 2 more episodes before CBS pulls the plug....Not only did the ratings hurt this turkey, but it looks like the powerhouse shows of CBS, Criminal Minds and CSI:NY, also had very bad ratings...

If this show does not pull out in the next episode, look for the CBS people to start talking about taking it off the air...THEY will not let it destroy their two prime shows. (Maybe an early return for JERICHO, this is supposed to be its timeslot eventually)

I watched those two, and, frankly, they were both pathetic, CSI:NY is going off on some season long garbage that looks more like the series 24 than the original CSI, and of course, Criminal Minds is writing off the main character (portrayed by Mandy Panikin), and it looked like a lot of editing has been done to the show.

Look...I think reality TV is heading into the night, its been overdone, and everybody is onto the game (game rigging, fake challenges, re-staging of events, producers feeding contestant lines and story plots, not paying off on the prize money, etc.)

Survivor is only got 2-3 seasons left..Jeff Probst has said this in many interviews...American Idol only has about 2 seasons left..Simon has said he's about done with it...SO WHATS NEXT

Probably, we are going to see more Game Shows (Deal or No Deal, Power of 10, etc.)

Well if the show is generating so much controversy as you say it is, it will be around a long time. And if Survivor still has an audience, it will stick around too... Probst or no Probst. But, then who really cares anyway? Each year something new comes along.

:food-smiley-005: So here you go have a Coke and a smile. Coca-Cola adds life.

Rock on Kevin!!!

OK... At first started reading your posts and thinking "Man, who is this wacko smuck". Then this pattern starts to appear and then all of a sudden the light bulb goes on, and WHAM.... I get it now!!

I have no idea what Kevin's true intent is. When I read his comments, I don't take any of it literally, it is just all fun. I look forward to whatever he's going to write next because it is bound to be worth my time. I love the "Sky is falling, run for the hills" thinking about TV because it is just TV. In a way Kevin's prophecies about TV, as we know it today, is comming true, TV is dying out or morphing into something different because of the Internet, virtual worlds such as Second life and World of Warcraft, etc.

Keep it up Kevin, if no else loves your posts, at least I do. :cheshire:

I used to spend every summer on my grandparents farm, there was no indoor plumbing, they had a great garden where all lots of food came from, also chickens for eggs and for Sunday dinner. I was always the one who was sent to catch the chickens for my Grandmother who when I brought them back to her, she would not use an ax but wring their necks, and yes us kids were standing around watching, well, we thought it was weird how the chickens kept runnin around with no head, and we would ask how was that possible, no one had the answer, and I cannot say I was horrified, we were taught how to get the big pot of boiling water, how to pluck the feathers, and how to cut up the chicken, I learned how to cut up the chicken so you would have the wishbone to pull after dinner, back then cutting the chicken up was an art. I do not think that my Grandmother ever had a chicken that came from a grocery store, she canned all of the vegetables out of her garden for the winter, and made the best blackberry pies. They also had a house in town, but spent most of their time on the farm, I have such great memories of this. I did not know that they teach children in school that it is not right to kill animals for food, really?? My youngest is 30 and they were not teaching that when my kids went to school.

I was surprised that they were gonna go there in this show, whether to kill the chickens or not, but I guess it was a part of life back then and also it was part of my life at least 50 years ago. I am not a huge meat eater, but but do eat a steak now and then and less chicken, but that is because we had it EVERY sun for years, I really got tired of it. As far as Greg goes, I think it was all about the money to him, not community, as I think Mike stepped up right from the beginning about trying to be in harmony and solve problems in a democratic way, and they rewarded him for that, Greg poor guy, while he did work hard, his intentions were marred by the fact that he had made trouble early on and had been sort of a bully. It always takes longer to pull yourself up when you have started off on the wrong foot, I think he will learned a good lesson in life before this show reachres its end, and he will get his star if he sticks to it, gets rid of the attitude and continues to do his part.

What seems to be missing in the discussion of the Chicken Killing incident is that this was not done for the purposes of providing food (As far as I could tell only 2 chickens were killed, not nearly enough to feed 40 children), no, this was a stunt, the needless slaughter of an animal for ratings...I am guessing that next season they may decide to execute at least 1 child per week, I mean, that has to be the next logical step up....

This was done to give controversy to the show for ratings, so the food argument doesn't play..and any other killing of animals is wrong (and, as I continue to say, illegal).

Look, I know that this is just another rigged so-called reality show (reality doesn't exist when the producers are feeding them lines, leading them to do certain things.

I have to disagree with you on the 2 chickens not being enough to feed 40 people... They made soup, and you don't need that much meat to make soup... You need the broth from the chickens more than the meat...

I agree with you Kevin. Even if they just made soup, it seems like a long way to get the "flavor" or stock.

I will be surprised meat isn't a reward later in the show.

Here's the recipe for Chicken stock and chicken soup... Note the bones of one chicken makes 16 CUPS of stock...

makes 16 cups makes 4 liters

1 stewing chicken (or 2 broilers and a stick of butter)

16 cups

(4 l) water

1 large yellow onion

1 bay leaf

1 bunch parsley

1 bunch fresh thyme (or a teaball with 1/2 tsp (3 ml) dried thyme inside)

Take one large, heavy, lidded pan -- mine is a six-quart enamelled cast-iron Copco pan with twenty years' good cooking already logged, and I live in terror that yuppie burglars will break into my house some night and steal it. Put into it one fat old chicken. If you live in a part of the world where there are no fat old chickens for sale, put in two scrawny young chickens and a stick of butter.

Put the pan in a cold oven, turn the temperature to 325F or 160C and wait patiently, doing nothing whatsoever to the chicken, for about four hours, till it's dark golden.

Take the pot out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Strip the meat off the bones. Cover everything, meat and bones, with a gallon (4 liters) of water at room temperature. Add a raw onion, peeled and quartered, a bay leaf, a bunch of parsley tied together with string, and a small bunch of thyme similarly tied or a teaball with dried thyme leaves in it. Bring the water up to a simmer and let it just simmer (make a mirror, as the French say) for ten minutes. Turn it off and return it to room temperature again.

Take the meat out. It is not as good as it was before the wee simmer, but perfectly satisfactory for chicken salad or on waffles with creamed chicken or whatever. Waste not want not.

Add another quart of water, bring the broth back up to a simmer and simmer it for twenty minutes. Strain out the bones and vegetables. You should have about four quarts (four liters)

I've never had good luck freezing broth (it starts to taste thinnish), so this is as much as I ever make at once. I keep it in the refrigerator in quart Mason jars (liter-size canning jars) I've read that you should simmer saved broth for twenty minutes every four or five days, but it never lasts that long in my house, so I can't comment.

I use a cup wherever a recipe calls for a cup of chicken broth. And then, after it's been around for a day or two, somebody suggests we really haven't had chicken soup with rice for a long, long time ... or matzoh dumplings ... or tortellini in brodo ... and then it's all gone.

2 lbs. of breast of chicken

6 c. water

2 stalks celery

4 toes garlic

2 c. sliced carrots

4 c. cooked shell noodles (or any other pasta)

2 tbsp. parsley

2 tbsp. soy sauce

1 cup chicken broth

Salt and pepper

Boil chicken in pot with water, chopped onion, chopped garlic, celery and parsley. Simmer on low until chicken is cooked. Cut up chicken in bite sizes. Add chicken broth. Then throw in carrots and cooked shell noodles. Add soy sauce and salt and pepper. Taste better prepared the night before serving.

GREAT...now I'm hungry!!

And then we need to add some home made noodles, yummmm!!!! or dumplins, yeah!!!! and agree Yana a little chicken goes a pretty long way for stock for soup and stuff.

Anyone see the preview for this week's show? It shows one of the kids walking towards a bull in a field. I actually have to question why this kid was allowed to get that close like that. I'm no animal expert, but aren't bulls dangerous?

Well, Episode 3 airs tonight, this will be make or break for the show... CBS top tier shows Criminal Minds and CSI:NY have suffered in the ratings the past 2 weeks (not necessarily from not being the #1 show in the time period, but overall losses from last year).

IF KID NATION SLIPS AGAIN, it will be cancelled....talk is that an early return of JERICHO is on the horizon...remember, the major advertisers have already taken a pass on this show, so it started on thin ice...

They know that Criminal Minds is going to have a major shake up in its cast this week (Lead Actor Mandy Panitkin is taking a walk, something he has a history of doing), so they are going to be very mindful of the timeslot, also ABC is Premiering "PUSHING DAISIES", a show that the critics like, and a contender for the KID NATION demo.

DON"T BE SURPRISED IF IT IS CANCELLED, but, it will be shown on CBS's website as several of these types of shows seem to do real well as downloads (ex: PIRATE MASTER and THE OFFICE). BUT don't expect a second season....they really are feeling the pressure they themselves created when they basically lied about the conditions the KIDS were living under. :animated_wave:

Um they are already looking for new locations, they wouldn't do that if they weren't going to do another season... :)

Good point, but scouting a location doesn't mean there will definately be another season. Have they taken apps yet or are they just going to troll myspace boards.

From what I can gather they have started taking apps... I love the trolling of myspace though... A lot of "reality" shows do that now days... Even though you are supposed to be over 13 to even have a myspace... My neice got one for her daughter and she was only 11 at the time...

...ABC is Premiering "PUSHING DAISIES", a show that the critics like, and a contender for the KID NATION demo.

"Pushing Daisies" is competing for the 2 - 11 demographic? 2 - 11 is what you said Kid Nation's demographic is in one of your other posts.

:rolleyes:

Trying to find another location to shoot another season really doesn't mean anything...Television shows (Production Companies) do this all the time, it doesn't mean they get the green light for a second season...

Also, the 2-11 demo is the Highest Rated of Kid Nation demos, however, if it does poorly in the 18-49 demo (loses any more audience in that demo), they will cancel it...THEY ARE NOT ATTEMPTING TO COURT THE 2-11 demo in that time slot (again, reasons why big series like Criminal Minds and CSI:NY are down is because KID NATION can't get the numbers in the demo they are actually targeting.

NY POST SAYS....

CBS officials declined to comment, but it is understood that as part of the production process, it is typical for freshman reality shows to start casting a second season before getting word on renewal

I just don't believe the 2 to 11 demographic... Sorry, not buying... If you have proof that that is the target demographic, then post it...

again, reasons why big series like Criminal Minds and CSI:NY are down is because KID NATION can't get the numbers in the demo they are actually targeting.

I don't buy this one either... I know about 15 people that don't watch kid nation, but still tune in to see CSI...

18 - 49?

2 - 11?

Those are strange demographics. A 2 year old has nothing in common with a 5 year old, let alone an 11 year old. And few 18 year olds have the same interests as people in their 30's or 40's. I don't know where you get your information, but the numbers are whacked.