Sign in to follow this  
morty

Episode #2: To Kill Or Not To Kill?

Absolutely agree, Polodar. Even though I knew Greg had only pulled up his socks for the gold star, I was disappointed to see his reaction when Michael won (which, according to the preview for the next episode, it only gets worse). Two very intuitive council members for realizing Greg was in it for the star and not the town.

And Sophia needs to take Taylor's seat on council. Quickly.

I loved this episode. I'm so glad they showed the chicken part. It showed it wasn't all fun and games. Of course that would have changed if they put the giant water slide in the middle of town.

I think Greg deserved the star more than Micheal. It's for hard work, not a good attitude. No matter his motive, Greg did more work than anyone else.

It amazes me that nobody spoke out against the council until Sophia did. Then everyone had something to say. They need to hurry up and change the council members. Taylor refuses to do anything, Michael just lurks around watching everyone, Laurel tries but isn't a good leader, and they won't even show Anjay.

I think Taylor needs to step aside as council. She's got some growing still to do. (See Ryomi, you can give criticism without name calling.)

I shall be extremely suprised if she exits show without somehow redeeming herself. And I would be extremely disappointed in the show for showing her as such a 2D stereo type. I tend to expect she'll be getting her hands dirty in the next episode.

Very surprised that they killed the Chicken. I made the wrong call on that one. The kids involved had to be taught how to do that, either at home on a farm growing up, or before the shooting began.

After watching the second episode, the show didn't seem get better or more interesting. The TV and waterslide in a western town is not making much sense to me.

I think the star being specifically for hard work is a misconception. The star can be given for any reason, the council decides who and why. I believe the host more or less said that in the first episode.

It seems to me that the kids are not restricted to any crititia for handing out the gold star, and I am not getting any solid idea by how they edit the show that the kid council has a eval processs to go about deciding.

I enjoyed Frontier House. Those families really were roughing it and very stressed.

its very convient that the one kid works as a butcher.. He was probably cast just for that fact alone so they could put the kids in the kill the animal situations where someone there knew how to actually cut them up.

I watched Frontier House and see no sense in comparing the two shows. To each his own.

There are those of us *meat eaters* that wince every time you horrid veggie eaters cut into a cucumber. Poor cucumber.

I believe hard work for the STAR was stated as ONE of the things that is a deciding factor. Not soley. But if kids decide that's what counts most, kudos.

I was also someone who was upset Greg didn't get the star. I didn't care if his incentive was to get the star. Wasn't that one of the points in introducing the star?!?!?! He worked hard and was super nice to everyone. Working when he didn't have to, and going out of his way to initiate many tasks.

It makes me sad that he's going to be bad next week.

The Shakespeare kid is sick.

He's pretty much floaten under the radar, but I think if they were to elect a new council, this guy's speech could own them all.

I think Greg didn't get it because the council (and all) still haven't forgotten his horsing around with Blaine last week. Greg will have to separate himself from any potential bully-like behavior if he's going to rise and shine. I think he must realize that - or will soon.

The TV and waterslide in a western town is not making much sense to me.

I love that twist -- making the kids decide between what they want and what they need. Clever.

I really do believe it was Mike (the leader) who pushed the rest of the council not to vote for Greg. He's still upset he was pushed last week, as I would be to..... ...but still, that was last week. <shrugs>

CBS's own description was "Michael is rewarded for his leadership when he wins the second Gold Star." Nothing about hard work. I also think the kids should be taking into account the collective efforts from each member. You should not win the star just for having one good week. Both Sophia and Michael have been consistant in their behavior. We arent talking about a weeks allowance here, we are talking about $20,000.00.

(repeating my post from another thread since it's being discussed here as well):

I think Greg needs to learn that he has to pull his socks up and work hard for more than just 'one week' if he wants a gold star. I agree with the decision to give it Michael. Greg didn't do much for the town the week prior, but Michael did. If he's smart, Greg would work hard again (and again) to prove he's doing it to support the town, not only himself.

I really hope Greg does get a gold star -- he wants it for his education and he seems to need it. But he'll have to prove himself for longer than a week. Based on the previews for next week, I'm not so sure he's learned that.

I also have even more respect for Sophia than I already did. Sophia's definitely my fav. She's already won her gold star, yet she proved that she's still willing to work hard and continues to do so -- including picking up the cooking for the yellow team. That girl needs to be on council.

Morty,

Everyone loves to see the Car Wreck....thats the disaster of this show.

This is NOT the 1950's and these kids are taught in school that killing of animals or any living creature is bad....So, look for the nightmares to begin (and the therapy)...

You know Morty, I know that half the writers in this blog are probably not much older than the kids on the ranch, so I take that into account, along with the fact that people write things just to incite other people, but the adults need to get back into control of the country, and the airwaves...KILLING A CHICKEN ON AIR does NOT make for good television, and I know you don't want to hear it, but GREG actually broke the law when he did it (YOU see, this is 2007, not 1957), so I don't know what PETA will do, but I can imagine life getting rough for the kids real soon.

This is not the kids fault, of course you can now tell that this is a rigged show, that the adults are in control more than advertised, and it disgusting....BIG BROTHER producers inciting EVIL DICK to curse at everyone in the house and make trouble is one thing, THEY ARE ADULTS...But, to incite those kids to kill that Chicken (REMEMBER, its goes against everything they are taught in school), is disgusting at best.

Hillary Clinton once made a speech in which she said that parents are not smart enough to take care of their children, and that the state should have some control over them (she made the speech in 1974), at that time I thought she was a lunatic, but after seeing how these parents basically gave away their children for PROFIT, maybe its time to revisit the idea......

I'm wondering if there is another connection between the gold stars and the council. Like, after the forth star is given out, the group can decide if the gold star winners should be the new council.

I also think that Greg did what everyone else did as far as working harder for the money. If not, why tell them about the money in the first place? I think Greg is being edited for excitement and the previews for next week prove it (to me anyway).

Even if Greg is being edited it only takes one mistake to make an impression, and he certainly made mistakes on the first episode and looks to be on his way to more in the third. Yes, its ok for kids to make mistakes, like everyone else, but that doesnt mean mistakes should be over looked when handing out a huge reward.

Ratings from Zap2it.com....

The "Dancing with the Stars" results show dominated the 8 p.m. hour for ABC, drawing an 11.1/18. "Deal or No Deal," 5.6/9, put NBC in second. "Kid Nation" finished third for CBS, ahead of "Back to You," 5.1/9, and "'Til Death," 3.8/6, on FOX. "America's Next Top Model" delivered a 3.1/5 for The CW.

ACTUALLY, ratings fell to from 3.1 to 2.8, this thing probably has another week at the most....ABC will be premiering its regular Wed. night fare next week I think....

According to what I have been reading they are already in the pre production faze for season 2...

On that note I am done watching the show. I just did not think they needed to include and show the children killing chickens. They are only there for 40 days and they have plenty of jerky and beans and healthy food. I bet they even have vitamins for the kids.

The show does not seem to have the value I thought it might have.

I've debated not watching anymore and taking up the more exciting "America's Next Top Model," but I get too attached to characters that I can't help but wonder what will happen next. :blush:

This is a television show, not a social experiment...So, I look at two things:

1. Advertising dollars....Major advertisers bailed on this show before the first episode, and if PETA even looks the wrong way about the Chicken Killing... The rest are gone..DEAD SHOW AIRING

2. Ratings....It is dropping fast as people see this for what it is, EXPLOITATION of CHildren, they are not making their own decisions, the ADULTS (disgusting Human animals they are) ARE. When CBS gets through banging their collective heads on the wall wondering how its top rated series CSI:NY and CRIMINAL MINDS bombed this week, they will dump this turkey before their heads get chopped off by VIACOM.

As far as pre production goes, well, thats part of the business and doesn't mean it will be on next year.

I didn't think the chicken was tortured and I thought the entire situation was done well. The boy's parents should be proud.

I am a bit bored with the settlement. I would have liked them to be near a stocked pond, just for the "if you can kill a fish, you can kill a chicken" debate.

Although i didnt like the other kids being around to watch the chickens being killed, i didnt mind the idea. I could be wrong but i think some schools even take field trips to slaughter houses to learn where food comes from. This is a part of life. You cant feed someone meat and then object to the killing of animals. If you try to shelter kids from life they can miss important things. Do you really want your kids to go off to college not understanding how the world works?