Sign in to follow this  
morty

Episode #2: To Kill Or Not To Kill?

I don't think I can watch this epidode if the children do kill a chicken. Just gives me the willies.

(city girl here)

I bet they don't. If they did, I hope someone really pays attn to how they cook this meat.

Based on what I perceive this show to be about, role playing, I think it is extremely unlikely the kids will be shown killing any animals. What I hope they don't do is create the illusion that the kids kill some animals, but replace live animals with a dead ones through the magic of editing. I based this partly on the fact it is highly unlikely any of the kids have the nerve and the skill to kill, clean, and cook farm animals. Always possible one of the kids was selected because the kids has such experience, but very doubtful.

If you get hungry enough, you'll kill something to eat. I don't think they are in any danger of running out of food though.

Some of those kids grew up on farms and may have already killed a chicken or seen it being done. Its a part of life. Chicken McNuggets don't grow on trees and they need to learn that sad little fact.

I guess the part of me being a vegetarian makes the whole animal killing thing hard for me. I know it is necessary but I don't like it and would hate for the kids to do it. It just puts a whole different element to the show and I would quit watching it.

I am sure if a chicken is killed by one of the kids it will be done in a humane manner by someone who likely has done it before. It is a neccessary part of life.

Can't they just go to a Mc Donalds or somthing. Killing an animal is like....canibalism.

The first episode showed kids who already knew how to milk goats among other things, it seems likely someone would have experience in killing/cleaning also.

weird 4 " Can't they just go to a Mc Donalds or somthing. Killing an animal is like....canibalism. "

Uh.......................................

You all forget that some kids already tried to kill a rabbit, so i don't think that they will have any problem finding someone to kill a chicken. But then again... 1 chicken, 39 kids, doesn't go far. Mike most likely wants the chicken for council members only! Him and his high horse!

I guess the part of me being a vegetarian makes the whole animal killing thing hard for me. I know it is necessary but I don't like it and would hate for the kids to do it. It just puts a whole different element to the show and I would quit watching it.

Your comment is a good example why we won't be seeing little kids killing animals on Kid Nation; even if they have teaser Ads suggesting it might happen.

This is a family show designed for parents to watch with their kids. If they were to show kids killing animals on TV, mllions of TV sets would be shut off or switched to another show, never to return.

This entire show is rate "G" and will remain so for as long as it is on the air.

But, what if they do the deed without it being on tape?

I tend to agree though. The chicken will be spared.

But, what if they do the deed without it being on tape?

My perception is that the many adults behind the camera wouldn't let it happen if one of the children were to attempt to kill an animal.

IMHO, Kid Nation is not 40 kids being filmed doing whatever they please for 40 days. The parents might not be there, but there are countless adults controlling\guiding these children, much in the same way a summer camp is run. They are divided into several different groups and they have activities where the kids are allowed a very limited amount of freedom to make decisions. For example the kids are given limited options to choose from (maybe 3 options, or Yes\No problems), not opened ended freedom figure out all possible solutions and then pick what they think might work.

I finally got to watch the show tonight, and so far I like it... Sure there are adults around, and they are prolly giving cues on what to do, but as we all know by now that's nothing new... I am going to really hold my opinion until the show is at least a few weeks old...

Well, I was shocked that they did kill the chicken and even showed them doing it... nerves twitching and everything. :)

I'm waiting for the backlash from this one.

I have to hand it to Greg. He took charge and did a good job. I don't mind Mike getting the gold star though. He deserves it too. It looks like Greg self destructs in episode 3 and maybe ruins his chances of ever getting the star.

I loved it when Jared held up the twitching chicken and said something about helping it to its end. I forgot his actual words, but it made me laugh with his quirky delivery.

I think Taylor needs to step aside as council. She's got some growing still to do. (See Ryomi, you can give criticism without name calling.)

We'll got to go to work.

I am glad they went so far as to show the reality of killing a chicken to eat. I know PETA will be up in arms, and so will a lot of vegetarians I'm sure, but people do eat meat. Those burgers at McD's were once a living cow. I grew up on farms. Raising chickens, goats, pigs, and cows for food is common even today.

Enough about that though, it shouldn't really even be an issue in my opinion.

I know last week I was all about Michael getting a gold star. I still think the kid deserved one, but it should have gone to Greg this week. He scared me a little last week, but he really worked his butt off this week and for Mike to say, "I think he's just doing it for the gold star" really ticked me off! Of COURSE he was! So were most of the others that were busting their butts! That's what the star is FOR! I think that Sophia and Greg should ask for a town vote to replace Mike and Taylor on the council. Kick the bums off. Taylor because she's a little disrespectful princess who thinks everyone should do everything for her, and Mike because he's a little power mad and arrogant. If Mike is going to be a leader he needs to put his personal feelings aside and reward the people who deserve it, not hold grudges. That's a recipe for disaster and Greg deserves to be angry.

I'm still all about Michael being the man, but he could have waited till next week and would have been happy for Greg's win. Giving Greg the star would have been strategically sound and logical, as it would have kept peace in the town and shown everyone that hard work and team play will be rewarded.

I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet (i work nights at a radio station), i watch the show on MSN.com (not spam) the next day, but it seems that everything i said in ....

http://www.tvfanforums.net/index.php?showtopic=22407

seems to be truer than ever! Port... we think along the same lines! IF you haven't checked out the thread above, you'll see that i saw mike and taylor getting worse from the first ten minutes of the first episode... my way of expressing my views weren't taken very well, but i digress. Look forward to seeing this episode. I knew they would kill the chicken but didn't think in a million years they would show it! I'm out of this thread until tomorrow so i can see the episode!

Baron... i guess i'm not the only person that likes to use descriptive words to describe the kids

A problem with the concept of the show seems to be the age differential and the effect that has on the success on running the town. I'm really not surprised that the 14 and 15 year olds are able to sort of step it up and be able to successfully run a town. Remember, in old times and still in a lot of countries in the world, kids that age are treated as adults and expected to be able to run their lives. Most of the older kids probably already know about responsibility in their lives and have an ability to get what needs to be done completed. It would be interesting if the show featured only pre-teens to see how they would be able to cope. It looks to me like they'd fail miserably without Greg, Michael, Sophia and the other older kids.

That Mike is a little punk. He's incredibly self-righteous and they need to kick him out of his power position. It's pretty obvious he was letting his personal bias effect his decision on the gold stars. That Greg dude was pretty kickass this episode and earned it but Mike was too bitter to accept it. I got no problems with the crying redheaded girl fighting for Michael since he's in her district and the council members should try to support people in their district to get the gold stars. The Indian kid that's in charge of blue (I forget his name) should have argued harder for Greg and not let Mike make the decision.

Holy crap, Green District is garbage. Why have they gotten the first two gold stars when they can't even beat Yellow and its team full of 8 year olds? I didn't like all the sympathy shown for them after they cost everyone the water pumps or whatever it was.

I'm torn on this one. As I said from the start, I'm a huge fan of the PBS series "Frontier House." which was an educational-historical experiment. In "Frontier House." the settlers were taught how to kill a chicken at the training camp, and when a hen stopped laying, it became dinner. The tough scene on that series was when they had to kill the pig that a child had raised. But on Frontier House, the actions taken by the settlers were keeping within the lifestyle of a frontier family. Somehow it doesn't look the same when afterwards they're trying to win a waterslide.

Back in the 1950's, stores like Woolworths would sell little baby chicks at Easter that had been dyed festive colors. I imagine that most if them died before reaching maturity, but the two given to my brother grew up and my dad built a pen for them in the backyard. One night the noisy chickens kept my father awake, and the next day we had a chicken dinner. I thought it was wrong of my father to not have told my brother until after he ate, but it didn't seem to bother him. But I digress.

It's also an age thing too, there's a big difference between 8 and 15, it doesn't look right seeing kids watching it like it was a PlayStation. And why was the girl, that so upset over the killing, watching?

-M

I am glad they gave it to Michael this week. I wanted to see Gregs reaction. If he would have taken it well and worked just as hard the next week then he was a lock for the gold star. It doesnt seem like that is the case though, looks like his true colors are coming back out next episode. I doubt there will be too many, if any, repeat winners since they will want to give more kids a chance to win, all he had to do was keep his cool for another week..... oh well.