Sign in to follow this  
Port

Sophia

Echo I feel like Im picking on you, but Im not. You just say some things that I dont agree with. As I am writing this on my phone I can't cut and paste. But your comment about Hunter spitting in a younger kids face needs commenting.

I dont think for a minute Hunter would ever do such a thing. I know you are just using him as an example, but it doesnt jive. From his mannerisms, his comments, and how he carries himself. I am confident he would never spit in someones face. I live in Florida. I lived here for 37 years. In 1976 it snowed here. Now if you took footage of that snowy day and tried to pass off Florida as a northern state nobody would believe it. Snow covered palm trees is not enough to dupe people. The same goes for Hunter. I honestly believe that these kids are as shown. It would be unethical to paint them differently.

Baron wrote:

I honestly believe that these kids are as shown. It would be unethical to paint them differently.

Picking on me? Don't be concerned about it; I know what I am doing. :animated_bouncy:

I am unclear if you understood my previous point. My point was that I believe there's footage not suitable for TV and that footage might be leaked to the Internet at some future date; I created hypothetical of what might be unsuitable and scandalous. My hypothical example was not to suggest Hunter did behavor like that. It just would be SHOCKING to see video posted on the Internet of him doing something that contradicted the show's "mature" depiction of him.

With that said...So what is real and honest here?

Neither you nor I know what Hunter did or not do beyond what the producers show on the reality TV series that has it's own agenda. I am confident that all these kids are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more than what is shown on this TV series. AT BEST, if the producers are ethical and responsible, they will make a generalization of each kid that is neither horribly bad, or as Saintly. I do agree they are attempting to capture the "essences" of each child's personality, both good and bad. I bet Hunter has had his moments in life where he has said\done things that aren't so saintly. And if hunter had a couple unsaintly moments during the 40 days, and the producers decided not to show it, its no big deal to me. It's tough to fully convey the complexities\contradictions that exist in some personalities. If Hunter was Saintly 98% of the time, but had 1 moment where he lost his cool and said something extremely unkind\cruel\mean, because he was frustrated\stressed, showing that personality flaw in a child might not be fair, or it just might leave the audience confused thinking Hunter has emotional problems. The producers have to make 1000s of decision as to what will, and will not be shown, and we have no idea what is laying on the floor of the editing room.

Fuskie wrote:

I disagree. I do not believe these kids are being that heavily supervised. I am sure the adults would step in to prevent violence or physical harm, but bad language does not rise to that level. I believe that while guided and counseled, the kids are for the most part free to do whatever they want. That is the experiment - to see what kids will do when left to themselves to form a society.

You might disagree, but seriously.....ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

Maybe I am not clear what you think is going on with this show. Do you think this is some kind of kids version of Big Brother or Survivor with tad bit more oversight so that CBS doesn't get sued after it is all over? Do you think that no adult would have stepped in if Greg were to have spewed: "Taylor your nothing but a <Beep> bitch. If I could I'd <Beep> beat the <Beep> out of you, and not give a <Beep>. I am <BEEP> sick of listening to you complain about <Beep> everything. Go ahead and cry you little <Beep> cry baby, I don't I give a <Beep>. I hate <C-Word> like you"

My perception is , and there's no doubt, that what we are watching is a 40 day summer camp that been tweaked into a reality TV series. And just like all summer camps, the children activities are planned, carefully monitored and controlled. These kids are given a very limited amount of freedom to make decisions on their own. Kids are allowed to respond to situations, but it too is limited\controlled\monitor for behavior that is considered out of bounds, or headed in the bad direction. You can bet that any use of profanity is shut down extremely quickly by the adults standing behind the camera so to keep situations from spinning out of control. No way in hell are they going to sit back see what happens over 40 days if kids are allowed to do\say anything they flipping want. Kids would be checking out so fast that the series never would have made it to air. It would have made the news about how poorly managed the production was, and it collaspes in under 3 day. It succeed because it was tightly\well managed. It is a "illusion" that the kids have the freedom to do\say what they want.

I think we are underestimating the power of kids. :)

Honestly, if I were 10-15 I'd love an opportunity like this.

Honestly, if I were 10-15 I'd love an opportunity like this.

I agree!

Oh, I'm sure the children are loving this opportunity! There's so much that we don't get to see. I agree with echo that they also have some summer camp activities. They make it look like all work, but they have fun too. If it was all work and uncomfortable living conditions, there'd be alot more kids that would of raised their hand to go home. If they have a KN#2...there will be parents and children coming out of the wood-work to get their child a spot on the show. JMHO :pixiedust: and I value yours. :)

[i think we are underestimating the power of kids.

Honestly, if I were 10-15 I'd love an opportunity like this. ]

From ages 10 to 15 my parents would've loved to have shipped my *** off to KN. :devilish:

LOL wicked.

Both, my 9 yr old son AND my 7 yr old daughter want to be on this show!

My son, I know would not only enjoy it but is mature enough to handle the responsibility. My daughter wouold love it, would handle being without mom and dad, but is small for her age and I don't think could handle the strength activites and is not overly IQed for her age. Yes she is getting straight As in school but is not like a Jarod.

I think the line for this show would be out the door and around several LONG blocks.

I should think about this. My husband and I could use a vacation!!!

Way to go, Sophia!!!

You were right, you already had your gold star.

But I don't think anyone there could argue with the fact that you were one of the top 3 contributors to the town's success.

And I'm sure none of them begrudge you your star. You definitely deserve it.

I look forward to hearing about what the future holds for you.

I'm sure you will be successful in whatever you do.

I'm so glad that Sophia got another star, of all the children she worked the hardest I think. I think she'll put it to good use. Like an education fund. Several of the kids got short changed, but if thats how the producers wanted to do it I guess I'll have to deal with it. ;) I would love to see Sophia in about 10 years. JMHO :pixiedust:

I found that they award her yet another 50K gold star extremely fishy after showing DK break down crying over the fact he wanted to give a gold star to several kids he felt had earned one. I say fishy not because she wasn't worthy of yet another, just that some how the council award her another, therefor passing over a few other obvious qualified kids (from what we were shown on TV).

The whole award decision making process has always felt like there were outside influences advising the town council. Not so much to tell them who to pick, but to spread the awards around for different justification each time (ie not always the harderst worker every three days). I suspect that the unseen advisor's informed them that they not concern themselves with the business side of reality TV show assuring the council that those who do not win a gold star would properly compensated for their worthy efforts (post show) and the council should award the gold stars based on the merits they perceived worthy over the course of the 40 days.

Every council member said she was the only obvious choice. They had even talked about giving her the last 20k star. She worked harder than anyone there from day one, and everyone knew it.

I don't know echo. Fuskie says he's friends with Jareds' dad. Maybe he can ask him what Jared ended up with. He could say theres a bunch of fans of KN on Mortys (who just loved Jared to pieces) that are p!$$ed that Jared and others didn't get a gold star. Or maybe we'll find out more details now that the show is over. Maybe we can get an interview from Yana. :pixiedust:

edit: Sorry echo I saw that you posted the same thought over in the "Did I miss something thread". :giggle::pixiedust:

TCS Wrote:

I don't know echo. Fuskie says he's friends with Jareds' dad. Maybe he can ask him what Jared ended up with. He could say theres a bunch of fans of KN (who just loved Jared to pieces) that are p!$$ed that Jared and others didn't get a gold star.

I think you misunderstood one of my posts or I am not understanding yours. "You don't know" what? :)

From the audience perspective, there will never be agreement on who was worthy and who wasn't. We only know what was shown, not what wasn't shown, and we only got to see 1%-2% edited into 13, 42 minute episodes. That means there is a huge amount we don't know about each one of these kids, and some of these 40 kids hardly appeared over the course of 13 episode. I've been pretty clear that sticking it out for 40 days makes each kid worthy, but acknowledge that this is a reality TV series that needs to create certain illusions about reality for the purpose of entertainment\drama. My hope is that in the end we find out that each kid got far more that 5K. Maybe the kids get a "Surprise" bonous that is, for example, justified by unexpected good ratings and the producers wanted to reward ALL the children of Kid Nation for their efforts at making the show successful. There 1000 different ways to spin it so that the kids get treated fairly, even if they didn't take home a gold star.

I suspect that the unseen advisor's informed them that they not concern themselves with the business side of reality TV show assuring the council that those who do not win a gold star would properly compensated for their worthy efforts (post show) and the council should award the gold stars based on the merits they perceived worthy over the course of the 40 days.
I don't know echo......

Sorry echo I was responding to this. Then I said maybe Fuskie could find out for us. Then I added that I didn't know you had already thought of that. ;):pixiedust:

(I live in a state of confusion most of the time) :giggle:

TCS, I believe the town council was advised off camera to take into consideration different qualities each time they awarded a star, this way over the course of 40 days, the stars were award for different qualities\criteria and there is the appearance of balance\fairness. Maybe there was more in the Journal that was shown on TV telling the council to do this or that. If this even partly true, this means some kids like Jared fall into a category with 1-5 other kids, and if they don't win in that category, then their chances of getting a gold star has been significantly reduced. My guess each kid was in at least two different groups\categories, thus came up for consideration more than once. Zach for example, might fall into a group "Most improved worker" and that is why he won the final gold Star. Maybe Sofia won the 50K gold star for "Most respected". Anyway, that is my perception. Jared is obviously a bright boy and worthy of a gold star, but lost when his name was up for consideration. My hope remains that the producers will make things right so each kids feels they were a winner, not a loser.

In last night's episode it definitely "felt" like the producers or host or outside sources influenced who got stars. Didn't the host specifically say last night when he was telling them about the three 50k stars that "two will be given to those whom the council feels most exemplifies the spirit of Bonanza" (or words to that affect) and "one will be given to anyone!" I could have sworn I heard that, but it wasn't mentioned again afterwards. Not even when the council was shown deliberating.

I'm glad Sophia won another 50k, but there were other kids whom I would like to have seen get a star. Mike for one.

(oh no! I'm kind of agreeing with echo! The world really must be about to end in a fiery cataclysm! ;) )

echo you remind me of a kid who keeps looking under the tree for the xBox360 he was SURE he was going to get but didnt. The show is over. It is what it is.

Baron wrote:

echo you remind me of a kid who keeps looking under the tree for the xBox360 he was SURE he was going to get but didnt. The show is over. It is what it is.

baron, You lost me on that one. We already have XBox 360, so why would I be looking under the tree for something we already have? We don't have a PS3 yet, but that will be under the tree. Have I haven't played Halo3 yet because I want to finish up Halo 2 first.

Port wrote:

(oh no! I'm kind of agreeing with echo! The world really must be about to end in a fiery cataclysm!
;)
)

Don't worry, you'll wake up soon and find Boddy Ewing standing in your shower. :animated_bouncy:

Didn't the host specifically say last night when he was telling them about the three 50k stars that "two will be given to those whom the council feels most exemplifies the spirit of Bonanza" (or words to that affect) and "one will be given to anyone!" I could have sworn I heard that, but it wasn't mentioned again afterwards. Not even when the council was shown deliberating.

I'm glad Sophia won another 50k, but there were other kids whom I would like to have seen get a star. Mike for one.

I do tape the episodes, but I don't usually keep them.

So I probably erased it already by taping Survivor over it last night.

But the episode is online at CBS someone can still check.

What I thought I heard was the host say that 2 stars HAD to be given to pioneers who had ALREADY won 20K stars.

And that the remaining star had to be given to someone who had NOT won a star yet.

And I totally agree with you about Mike deserving a star. (Not that several other kids did too, of course!)

Although he wasn't perfect, he was a driving force right off the bat, when the town needed it most.

Later council members didn't have to start from scratch like those first 4 did.

What I remember the host saying was that one star went to a leader, one to a worker, and one to anyone they wanted... I don't remember anything about them having already won a star... I could have misheard though...

I am amazed at our ability to rationalize why things aren't as we think they should be.

Fuskie

Who from reading these posts almost thinks these kids had no free will of their own while pioneering Bonanza City...