Sign in to follow this  
Port

Sophia

After watching the second episode I'm inclined to agree that a lot of her complaining is justified. Especially as concerns the yellow team and the kitchen.

Give Sohpia and Greg a lot of credit for (greg) killing the two chickens and (sophia) cleaning them.

And the first thing we see is Morgan (12-IN): "Sophia, do you think God put us here for a reason?" Sophia (14-FL): "God, I stopped believing in God a while ago." Oh man, my head already hurts from it getting beaten over with stuff.

The Sophia quote of the week...

I think Kevin has lost some steam being his predictions of Kid Nation demise have not come about. Too bad, his posts were entertaining.

I just want to say that I'm PO'ed that the producers showed that footage where Sofia was cussing at the kid. Sofia is one of the best kids there, so making her look that bad was totally uncalled for. Up till now she's been very impressive, so there was no need to select one bad moment just to make her look like she is a total bitch. Sofia is one of the best kids there so there is no need for them to suddenly go out of their way to make her look bad. I wonder if she did or said something, or maybe refused to do something, so they made her look bad as a way to punish her. She won a Gold Star for god's sakes!!!

While I don't agree with her language, I guess I didn't see her as looking too bad. I saw where it came from and how she was so offended by what was suggested ....even if there may have been truth to what Guylan had said. It seemed like she took it as a deep insult since she generally strives to work hard/do what's right. I can't imagine kids at home saying they hate her now that she said a cuss word .......or just view her as being a bad kid. I can see them saying .....ooooooohhhh and giggling.

Necron99, wow. That's kind of harsh for you. I'm being facetious here, I just want to point that out. I wonder if you are actually here to bring attention to judging Taylor since you say some pretty nasty things about her. You won't even give her the benefit of the doubt regardless of what she does, and yet you believe that the producers edited Sophia being nasty to punish her? Sorry, that's just way too blatantly hypocritical, so now I really think you are Echo in disguise aren't you? Echo admitted to being the nastiest of the nasty when slamming Cowboy, and you are most definitely the nastiest of the nasty slamming Taylor, so it stands to reason this is really just a nick of Echo's that he's using to do the Taylor slamming.

The jump to Sophia's defense and seeming hypocrisy about the way producers treat her while screaming they don't edit Taylor is what gave it away.

If I'm wrong, then that's cool. And I'm certainly not meaning any offense and I'm not trying to name call or anything like that.

However, if you really aren't a ghost of Echo's and are a real person, I will call you on the hypocrisy and want to know how you justify saying Sophia is being badly edited, but Taylor wasn't? And you do realize I don't like Taylor very much either, but you're forcing me to defend her.

^^Busted!! :D

Wow, good logic and reasoning there, Port.

You're a smart cookie!

(If ever we draw up teams for anything, I want to be on your team!)

Maybe it's just an echo of an Echo.

Necron99... now I really think you are Echo in disguise aren't you? Echo admitted to being the nastiest of the nasty when slamming Cowboy, and you are most definitely the nastiest of the nasty slamming Taylor, so it stands to reason this is really just a nick of Echo's that he's using to do the Taylor slamming.

The jump to Sophia's defense and seeming hypocrisy about the way producers treat her while screaming they don't edit Taylor is what gave it away.

If I'm wrong, then that's cool. And I'm certainly not meaning any offense and I'm not trying to name call or anything like that.

However, if you really aren't a ghost of Echo's and are a real person, I will call you on the hypocrisy...

Does that last sentence mean that if they are one and the same, you WON'T call them on it?

Hmmm...I'm kinda confuse

People here have different nicknames with different personalities and posting stuff??? what the heck :|

Does that last sentence mean that if they are one and the same, you WON'T call them on it?

Oops, sorry, that was a bit confusing huh? Nope. I mean I'm already calling Necron99/Echo out if they are one and the same because they are busted due to the inadvertent (or purposeful) hypocrisy. If I'm wrong and they aren't the same person I'm still going to call out Necron99 on the hypocrisy.

And thanks for the compliment ;) If I'm ever a team captain I'll be sure to pick you.

making her look that bad was totally uncalled for... there is no need for them to suddenly go out of their way to make her look bad

I suppose the producers put those words in her mouth.

Fuskie

Who was more disturbed by the number of hands who agreed with her as opposed to chastisement...

I want to be on the team with the most refreshments and cookies. :cookie:

WOW..... This is too good. I have not been in this position before, but I must say I really like it, or I should say I love it. Necron99, you've become my new best friend now that KevinFromDululth seems to be gone. :animated_bouncy:

Port, I must give you some brownie points coming up with a very ingenious way to discredit somebody, I would never do it, but hey, I do understand it comes with the target that I put on my own back, and I can handled it, I don't take you're comments personally. I'm very good. I truly love being guilty by disassociation. I would never, under any circumstances not deny being guilty of anything, well, almost anything. Indeed I could be one of many different people here in this forum, not just Necron99 as you suggest. I am guilty at times of sucking the air out the room, and I tend to think that is not a good thing after calmer voices help stabilize a discussion. There is no need for me to go after Necron99 if others step up to the plate. When the trashing of Taylor began several weeks ago, things were headed in a very bad direction. People, such as yourself, were passing harsh judgments based on extremely little information, and I didn't mind coming into this forum and intensionally pissing people off because personally attacking children is unacceptable behavior. People weren't just commenting on Taylor's bad\unacceptable as shown on TV , it was harsh judgments about her as an 10 year old girl based on the producers editing and identifying her as a beauty pageant queen (interesting that she was "labeled"). Not as bad a saying her parents are (hypothetically) KKK members, but not too far off in the minds of a few. It may be within the rules of the forum to trash the children on Kid Nation, but people need to be held in check when when expressing negative personal comments about children because they are children. Stereotyping any child is far far worse than when it is done with adults. I stay out of the other forums even though I dislike the trashing in there just as much, but the tolerance bar is very different for adults on reality TV than it is for children. When I look a person's posts and they've been trashing some BB HG, and 2 minutes later they post a snide remark about some child on Kid Nation, it is easy to determine that individual already has a head of steam and has simply jump threads, challenging their remarks, sometimes with disrespect, does get their attention that they are now pissing on some little kid not Evil Dick. I know that half-glass-empty people are unlikely to understand my point, and tend to beleive most kids are rotten, and only a rare few have any potentional to become law abiding adults. When I deal with such people, I try to speak using words and tone that they connect with, often echoing back the attudute they express. However, hardly anybody likes to be pissed on, except me; I just don't take it personally, and I'm pretty damn good at handling it without lowering my standards :)

One thing I like to do with Kid Nation is to study the editing of the show. Having a HDTV and and HDTivo allows for instant replay. In the scene where Sofia is bleeped, they cut back and forth between Sofia and Guylan and a few other kids. Guylan is shown having some mild reaction, but the other kids standing next to him have no reaction at all. When they cut back to Sofia, the kids are shown having very shocked expressions as to what she said, but when they cut back to Guylan again, the kids still have no reaction. The producers were clearly playing with reality just a tad. I am OK with that because the point of the show is not to show reality as best they possibility can, but to make specific points within the theme of each episode.

On the issue of the Sofia apology. My experience when working at summer camps, conflicts between kids are extremely common, and getting them to work out their difference often will involves staff. How that came about between Sofia and Guylan happened before the camera were rolling. That apology was another staged apology, and appears to be more than simply two kids reenacting\improvising. I don't believe anything was written for Sofia to say, but they helped her in advance come up with words she need to say.

I don't believe anything was written for Sofia to say, but they helped her in advance come up with words she need to say.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Sofia is a very well-spoken girl, from what I've seen. (Expletives notwithstanding!)

Whether or not she was urged along by the hands of producers behind the scenes is something only she can confirm, but I could see something like that happening, especially if there are counselors on hand to smooth over disagreements.

Someone (I believe it may have been Baron) earlier said that her apology to Guylan should have been just as public as the offense. I know that it's hard enough to apologize in private, so I can see how it ended up being that way. Of course, once the private apology was made, she could have made a public one at the town coucil. Then again, with time constraints and liberties with the editing, lots of things may have been left out.

I still believe that Sophia's verbal attac2 was a very passive-aggressive attempt to demonstrate her power in the city, not just the green district. Almost from the get-go sophia had more support/respect than Laurel, but without the added pressure of being a council member. I’m sure Guylan’s remark irritated more than just Sophia, but her reaction was poised, timed and delivered with the largest audience available.

She could have easily approached Guylan privately, but she didn’t. She could have apologized during the group meeting, but she didn’t. Sophia knew exactly what she as doing and she knew the reaction she was going to get. Now why did she apologize at all if it was so insincere (and yes, IMO it was very insincere)? Could she have been persuaded by the producers? Maybe? My theory is she was approached by other kids who may have been more remorseful. Maybe she over heard someone say, “Well, if she had said that to me, I would have…”

But I did notice the choppy editing.

I'm kinda of confused about some of the other posts, maybe it's a joke that I don't get or something. Sorry :dontgetit:

With Taylor she has been shown repetitively doing AND saying a lot garbage because that is the way she TRULY is in real life. Sofia is one of the more mature girls that has demonstrated mature leadership consistently. Just because she gets frustrated and makes a SINGLE mistake, that doesn't mean they have show her saying FU on prime time TV. I believe she somehow upset the guys who make the show, and this is how they are getting back at her. I don't know what she might have done to make them dislike her so much that they decided show her saying the F word on TV, but she must have really got them very PO'ed. She probably stood her ground and refused to do some things that were wrong for kids to be doing; they couldn't fire her and send her home because she stood up to them, so showing her saying FU on TV with millions of people watching is their way of getting revenge. Showing Taylor making mistake after mistake after mistake is one things because that is who she is; a very nasty girl who is doesn't like to work and considers herself better than others, but it is very different to show a mature girl like Sofia saying the F word on TV because she is one of the good leaders, not one of the nasty ones. I think she should be on the council.

There's several school teachers in my family...... they all teach between 1-6th grade. They have said over and over that the children cuss and drop the F bomb more every year. Out on the playground it gets pretty "colorful".

It really doesn't surprise me when they have to bleep and fuzz out the kids. Should they show it on tv, to re-enforce that children cuss? I don't know.

I really like Sophia. I got a big laugh when she said she was a 30 year old in a 14 year old body. :giggle: On last weeks show I agree with another poster in the episode #11 thread, that she was upset at having to cook breakfest for everyone when it wasn't her job.....she should of fixed food for herself, and maybe the kids that weren't in arcade at the time. The arcade was a neat reward.....but I knew it would be trouble.....glad they put Sophia in charge with a padlock. JMHO :pixiedust:

TC'S wrote:

It really doesn't surprise me when they have to bleep and fuzz out the kids. Should they show it on TV, to re-enforce that children cuss? I don't know.

What is interesting is they show it happening just once, like they show a lot of things happening just once. I am pretty confident that what we didn't see was the adults behind the camera stepping in and bring an immediate end to any further out bursts of foul language. I'm sure there were more incidences of the 40 days where other kids got upset said things that were off limits and the adult in charge handled it. I beleive we didn't get to see was the truly bad stuff that happened over the 40 days, just the acceptable\typical bad stuff. I kind of wonder if at some future date, some very unflattering footage gets leaked to the Internet. Say for example, we see leaked footage of Hunter spitting in the face of much younger kid because Hunter has a really hot temper that the producers chose not to reveal on the show.

TCS Wrote:

I got a big laugh when she said she was a 30 year old in a 14 year old body

That was pretty good.

If they do give out 50K, you'd think Sophia would be one of the best candidates for getting it, but sense she already got 20K, it is unlikely the kids would give her another 50K.

The more I stew about this who lame ass reward process, the more I think it sucks because its so flipping subjective to how the winds are blowing on any given day. I sure hope I am correct, and in the end, each kid wins a gold star through some game design suggesting it was earned.

I am pretty confident that what we didn't see was the adults behind the camera stepping in and bring an immediate end to any further out bursts of foul language. I'm sure there were more incidences of the 40 days where other kids got upset said things that were off limits and the adult in charge handled it.

I disagree. I do not believe these kids are being that heavily supervised. I am sure the adults would step in to prevent violence or physical harm, but bad language does not rise to that level. I believe that while guided and counseled, the kids are for the most part free to do whatever they want. That is the experiment - to see what kids will do when left to themselves to form a society.

Fuskie

Who has no illusion that there were more incidents over the 40 days that we don't see but has no reason to believe anyone off camera was telling any kid to "Stop That!"...