Sign in to follow this  
morty

Episode #1: I'm Trying To Be A Leader Here

Forty children try to form a new society in a 19th-century New Mexico ghost town; friendships and teamwork emerge, while issues arise; the first Town Council convenes; the first gold star is awarded.

See preview video here:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/

torrent: http://www.mininova.org/tor/898170

It's sure to be an interesting show. I'll probably watch it with my kids, so that they can see that kids working together and learning something.

But in the same token, I just wonder if ethically this is right. I mean, no adults? There have to be some somewhere. I can't imagine these kids alone, having to rely on each other to get their needs met.

This looks like a good show. I mean kids working together...That's what people should be learning these days..I'm hopeing to audition for the sequel.

Just a reminder this starts tonight! :D

Lord! These babies up here crying! I can't take it! My oldest son is 8 and in the 3rd grade like the little boy Jimmy that was crying. I'm sure there will be a lot of tears on this show, which means I might not be able to watch it, lol.

My favorite quote so far: "If anyone tells you it's easy living in Bonanza City, slap them across the face, because they are a smack down liar!"That was hilarious!

I don't know what her name is, but the "special chef" is terrible!!

I don't know what her name is, but the "special chef" is terrible!!
\

I think you mean Sophia, lol.

Yeah, I'm going to need to keep a box of Kleenex nearby. Seeing these kids act so mature or break down because they miss their parents is making me cry! I guess that comes from being a parent myself!

Okay, Sophia isn't "terrible", but I can feel my eyes starting to roll.

I'm going to tune in next week. Not a bad little show, so far. I like the host, which is a surprise for me.

I felt bad for little Jimmy. Poor kid.

My daughter and I watched this together and both enjoyed it.

Jimmy's a smart little guy saying that 8 is too young for the game. I can't imagine an eight-year-old away from their parents for 40 days--it would seem like years to him. Can't blame him, poor kid.

Other than that, I was glad to see that there was indeed some 'adult' control/intervention within the game -- as well as rewards to encourage the kids to do their fair share and work hard. When I first saw the older kids misbehaving and doing whatever they wanted, I kept telling the kids (via television screen) to hurry up and assign a sheriff and open the jails! ha!

I was pleasantly surprised to find I like this show. I'm in college now and will be a middle school teacher (ages 11-13) in less than two years. Having already spent so much time in schools, I've seen "mock" scenarios play out like this over the course of a week or so. One sixth grade honors class I observed had to "build their own nation" (of course only role-playing) while the teacher sat and observed without any interference whatsoever. It was drama and chaos for much of the time. Fights and shouting over leadership, over roles in the society, over the best way to divide up responsibilities, and so forth. I kind of expected something like that from this show. It was nice to see that even though there was some drama, the kids did a great job of pulling together. These kids were doing it for real though, and not just a role-playing project for a grade. That made it much more intense I'm sure.

I'm a "tough strong guy" who likes camping and football and I don't know if I could handle doing what these kids are doing. Also not at all ashamed to admit I cried for Jimmy when he was hiding and crying. My heart just about broke for the poor little guy, feeling like he's all alone and in way over his head. When Laurel (I think it was her, could be wrong) went and found him and comforted him she went way up in my estimation.

Not too sure about Greg, he scared me a bit. A 15 year old alpha-male with all those hormones raging being around so many little kids? And I don't mean anything at all "nasty" about that hormone comment. I mean he's a pubescent teen with raging hormones and mood swings and he's stronger than most of those kids. He doesn't seem to have a level head, and that just compounds his scariness in my not at all humble opinion. I hope the camera people, wranglers, hands, and producers kept a close watch on him throughout this thing. I'm sure they did, and he may yet surprise me and show a different side. I hope so.

Michael impressed me a lot. That kid is very wise for a 14 year old. Very charismatic and a natural at mediating and speaking. I think he's going to be a big player in this game. He's invaluable as an advisor to the council, a peer counselor to the kids, and a hard worker with a massive dose of common sense for his age.

Did anyone notice how he and Blaine look so much alike? I mixed them up a few times, thinking, "Why would Michael be doing the graffiti and stuff with Greg?" Then I realized that was the ever silent very own personal shadow Greg Mach 2, AKA Blaine.

my son did get to watch this with me and said he wants to go there and do that...lol

i liked the show, it was kindof sad that little boy who wanted to leave, i almost teared up but those kids seemed to be very well level headed children who have maturity at times(some more than others) the beauty queen girl kindof threw me off when she said, I am a beauty queen I wont do dishes lol

I really liked the show.

The pageant queen needs to be put as a laborer. I can't stand her. "I'm a beauty queen, I don't do dishes".

I liked Sophia. She took control when they needed her, and deserved to win the star. She's definitely leader material.

I think the age differences are too big though. They should have kept it to 10-12. I've worked with kids for 8 years, and there is just too much of a difference between 8 and 14 years old.

ON ET the kids themselves stated there were more adults than kids around and that all that media hype was BS.

I want my own Jimmy.

Sophia is not only mature beyond her years but has an odd mystic about her.

I'm a Beauty Queen I don't DO dishes? Um........ I see her future apartment.

One proud mama's boy said Poo and Screw in one night. He's probably grounded until he's thirty.

Chapped lips everyone?

Greg will be just fine. He's got a soft spot and is just at THAT age.

Michael is the mannnnnn. Ok. Pre-man.

Got my new season show. Wickedly GOOD!

Okay I have to say for the record I love this show , and so did my husband and my 75 year old father. I could care less about the public views of this show and what they say , and if asked to be in a poll to keep it on i will sign first one.

I was asked in the chat room tonight if had to rate the show from 1 to 10 , I rated it a 9 , as did Dade and LaLa rated it a 10 , we was only ones answered . so all you viewers of the show , give us your rating from 1 to 10 of the newest CBS reality Show.

It was OK. I will give it a few more episodes. Without an elimination though, I imagine the show will get dull after awhile.

Without an elimination though, I imagine the show will get dull after awhile.

I think 'evicting' kids from the town might be a bit harsh for this show -- they are children afterall. Some would handle it fine, while others wouldn't. They're all at the age where their self-esteem is still quite fragile. Not something to play with for the sake of a reality show.

I rather like the concept they've used to get around that -- playing and competing, not to stay in the town, but for the role (and pay) you will have while you're there -- from upper class to labourer. I imagine each week they'll have a new comp, giving each district a chance to win the top roles.

Thought the twist with the choice of outhouses or a television was rather cute. Hmmm... will they go for what they need or what they want? Pleased to see they went with the 'need' (although some of the other kids looked quite disappointed).

Oh, and I like Sophia.

My son and I watched it too. He's also 8 and in 3rd grade, so I felt for Jimmy when he wanted to go home. I could picture my son there and I too thought that he may be too young for that. My son, however, said he wanted to go to Bonanza City. He loved the challenges and the fact that the kids can win that $20000 gold star. He wants it for college, go figure LOL.

I can see where the speculation that some of these kids are actors can hold up, because these kids are soooo mature and so polished, it's possible. But kids are growing up faster these days, so it's possible that they just picked some very bright children.

Sophia is definitely an interesting character. She's going to keep things stirred up, she does not like the council! I feel like they gave her the star not only b/c she worked hard, but also to pay her off so that she would stop complaining, but it didn't work.

My early review after just 1 episode is that NBC's Saturday morning show Endurance is a better show.

I tend to think for the kids it was going to camp with a full set of adult supervision\guidance; we don't see adults of course.

I also agree that the age range is bit wide. I think 10 - 12 would have been better. 8 is too young, and 15 too old. It does appear that that the 8 year olds are more like 10, and there 15 year olds are more like 13.

I hope the camera people, wranglers, hands, and producers kept a close watch on him throughout this thing.

You may find that the kids do a better job of policing themselves. Everyone now realizes that behaving and working hard could be worth $20,000. Maybe we see a different Blaine and Greg as well. I was pleased to see Michael go to Greg after the breakfast meeting and try to make peace.

One proud mama's boy said Poo and Screw in one night. He's probably grounded until he's thirty.

That was Jared, the son of friends of mine and they are very proud parents. And yes, he is a grounded kid but not like you meant. BTW, he's 11 years old, not 8 as one of the girls seemed to suggest.

Fuskie

Whose only disappointment was that the Town Meeting seemed to be anti-climatic except for the revelation of the value of the gold star...

Fuskie

Whose only disappointment was that the Town Meeting seemed to be anti-climatic except for the revelation of the value of the gold star...

The competitions are going to be climatic for me. I want that Taylor girl to have to clean the port-a-potties. I will have a big smile on my face when they come in last place.

thesimpsonsmrburnsexcelgs9.jpg

I think it should be kept in mind that this show is similar to Survivor in that they craft the show into reality TV series after they have filmed the entire 40 days. This mean they can edit it together in post production to make interesting story; they know how it all ends before they put it together.

As to the concern about having 15 year old boys there, I suspect all the kids were screened extremely well in advanced. And behind the camera there were far too many adults watching\supervising every single kid for anything to ever get out of hand. I would also guess that if a kid were to have been a serious problem, he would have been removed and never appears in the series other than maybe as a background figure, not as a profiled kid as one of the stars.

People who say there was no adult supervision should ask who was holding the cameras.

KID NATION host Jonathan Karsh introduces us to Bonanza City, a mining town that failed in the 1880s. In the next 40 days, 40 new pioneers will attempt to rebuild the town. But these pioneers are all children.

Will these young pioneers be able to succeed where their adult ancestors failed, without parents or teachers to guide them? Will they successfully build the first Kid Nation?

A big yellow school bus speeds through the desert with 36 kids from across America, ranging in age from 8 to 15. The bus is bursting with energy as the Kids look out on the harsh landscape with a mixture of wonder and worry. Several Kids voice their fears about the upcoming adventure. The youngest, curly-haired Jimmy, expresses his concerns:

Fuskie you'll need to take anything said about your friends son Jared with a grain of salt. Most will be in jest and it is BOARDS. Jared's an interesting child.

As stated earlier. The kids themselves stated they were NOT abused and there were TONS of adults on set. It was the choices and chores that the kids did without intervention. It was not a free for all dump of children in no mans land. Two incidents were overblown by two sets of parents who willingly allowed their kids to participate. Signed contracts and all. No one was seriously injured. Someone will claim they could've ben. Yes, an airliner might've crashed onto the whole town. But didn't.

No elimination keeps all the different personalities around. They must deal with each other. Good.

Assorted ages offers different views and abilities. Also good.

Well, I thought it was going to be a bust the first 10 minutes. My husband even walked away and didn't watch any more. My daughters (8 and 12) and I stuck it out and we're glad we did. I thought many of the kids were quite precocious which is a flag that they're wanna be actors but, I'm okay with that... whatever their motivation to start with... I think these kids truly wanted to accomplish something here.

My youngest daughter was most impressed with Jared and Michael. She likes "smarties" as they call them in school and the fact that Jared bought chocolate with his money, won her over. :lol: She also thought Michael's speech was great. CeCi (my daughter) is however scared of Greg, because of him bullying Mike and the other kids. And she doesn't like the other boy (Blain I think is his name) because of them using graffiti all over town. She really felt for the little boy that went home and she commented that 8 is too young to be away from parents.

At the end of the show she said she liked it and wanted to watch another but, that she doesn't know if she can because of having to see Greg be mean to the little kids. She's very sensitive girl so, this reaction didn't surprise me.

My oldest daughter thought the show was awesome. Really liked Sophia but, thought the beauty queen girl was a joke and should be made to do all the dishes herself for a comment like that. Sadie (my daughter) thought she would be great on the show. She gave Greg some slack (she thinks he's cute... lol) and thought he would turn it around soon. But, she was most impressed with Michael. She also thought the funniest kid was Jared.

At the end of the show she wanted to continue to watch it but, she thought the council needed to be changed and that they could be the reason for the project to fail.