Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Kid Nation In The Media

Courtesy of Buddy TV

Kid Nation: Getting to Know Taylor

Taylor-profile.jpgTaylor has been a controversial figure on Kid Nation. On the one hand, many people are hesitant to harshly judge a very young person too hard based on an edited presentation on a reality show. On the other hand, many viewers also feel that this aspiring beauty queen hasn't exactly been Miss Congeniality on Kid Nation thus far.

Whatever you might think of the young woman, she is still is, of course, just a pre-teen with many of the same interests as other young people.

Her favorite movies are Jurassic Park, A Series of Unfortunate Events and Pirates of Caribbean II. Her favorite books include Hatchet, My Life in Dog Years and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothin. Her favorite TV shows are The Suite Life of Zack & Cody and Hannah Montana, and her favorite movies stars are Hayden Panttiere & Ashley Tisdale.

She's been making do with the fare on Kid Nation, but back at home, her favorite drink is Sweet Tea, and her favorite meal includes steak, buttery noodles & baked potato (good things she's young enough to not yet be concerned with her arteries).

While her ideal vacation might be at

I've read somewhere else on the Internet that CBS has used Taylor as kid spoke person for Kid Nation. Whatever ACTUALLY happened during those 40 days, apparently Taylor (and her parents) are not currently upset about it.

Courtesy of The Futon Critic

MONEY WIELDS BOTH NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE INFLUENCES ON THE PIONEERS' DECISIONS, ON "KID NATION," WEDNESDAY, OCT. 31

"The Root of All Evil" - Money brings out the best and worst in Bonanza City, when some Pioneers start selling goods on the street, impressing some and offending others, while one Pioneer vying for the Gold Star is accused of bribing the others for support, on KID NATION, Wednesday, Oct. 31 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Courtesy of Buddy TV

Kid Nation: Episode 7 "The Root of All Evil" Recap

Previously on Kid Nation: DK worked hard, was the obvious Gold Star choice, then wanted to go home, but was talked into staying by Guylan. Mike adjusted fairly well to a powerless life, but Taylor

Courtesy of TV Squad

Kid Nation: The Root of All Evil

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to see each and every kid on Kid Nation before the end of the season. Every week, it seems the focus is on the core group we've seen all along -- the council leaders, Greg, Jared, Sophia, and some others. But then a new kid or two is thrown into the spotlight.

Whenever that spotlight shines on a new face in the crowd, it's been obvious that the new face will either be in the midst of controversy or will win the gold star. Predictable? Sure is, but with the size of the cast, I don't see any better way to do it, either. I enjoy "meeting" the kids as the season goes on.

I have trouble for weeks getting the casts of other reality shows down by name to face. Kid Nation has more than twice as many cast members when compared to those shows. I suppose I should be thankful that KN is introducing them slowly. I just hope each kid gets a chance to shine in the spotlight.

This week's new kids were Nathan, Divad, and Pharoah. They've touched on Pharoah a few times in past episodes, but never in depth. Divad? Has she been there all along? She must have been; her face is familiar. Nathan? Who's he? Well, I didn't know, but the kid apparently has been a bit of an outcast working machine since Day One.

I know from the comments that it isn't just me who has noticed that the kids don't seem to be too into clean clothes. It turns out that the laborers wash the clothes and don't do a great job at it.

Said worker bee Nathan has been washing clothes with an old washing board and rather mucky water. Oh, he hauls water and does whatever else he can do to help, too. The kids all agree that it's the way they have to wash the clothes which stinks (perhaps literally), not the efforts of Nathan or whoever might be doing the actual work.

So, we met Nathan because he works so hard. He's also the target of Greg's ire, which is never a comfortable situation. Nathan doesn't seem to really know how to be a kid and the others are picking up on that.

We learned more about Pharoah because he's started working hard to win the gold star. He seems like a very nice boy, but where he might go wrong is telling everyone he needs it more than anyone else. It's very possible his home situation may not be as prosperous as many of the others. But none of the kids really want to hear he needs it more than they do.

Then there's Divad. If a young girl can be a potato hustler, here you go. Yes, she works hard -- and lets everyone know she does. But she also came up with a rather underhanded scheme to earn more money for herself. She took food from the kitchen (which the kids eat for free) and set up a snack shop selling it to the other kids. And some bought it! Ack!

Her snack shop caused my main man Jared to blow a fuse and wreck her shop. Thankfully, Jared apologized to her, but the wheels in his mind were turning. He came up with his own hustle and created a product the kids wanted to buy and couldn't have for free. He used a magnifying glass to burn names and other show-related words into small pieces of wood, used string, and made bracelets and necklaces. His reaction to his sudden wealth was a hoot as he went strutting around the town with his new duds. I adore the kid ... and he still has the best lines in the show!

This week's journal led the council leaders to an underground mine complete with bats and a hidden treasure chest. Laurel was right when she questioned whether they should even go -- with the town set into a caste system, the love of money indeed can be the root of all evil. The journal had mentioned the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. The council members made a wise decision in buying things which the entire town could appreciate rather than splitting the money amongst everyone. Kudos, kids!

This week's showdown was a landslide for the blue district and a poor showing for both red and green. Yellow was somewhere in the middle, but ended up with second place. As I watched the kids with the cushion trying to catch the eggs and the district leaders shouting directions, I was thinking I'd probably place below the red team (who became laborers this week). I'm not quite sure how the blue district got such a good hold on the challenge.

Once again, the kids made the best decision when it came to rewards, too. I was hoping that despite the fact their laundry issues are so bad, they'd think ahead and realize that the coin-operated machines would eat too much of their pay. Budget, kids, budget! Instead, they got free new clothes and manually operated vintage (kind of) washing machines. Mike really got into the machines making them seem like exercise equipment, so all of the kids are tickled pink.

Before the town council, Greg (who continually mystifies me, but I like him) apologized to Nathan for picking on him. Then, all of a sudden, Greg became Nathan's advocate for the gold star. Meanwhile, Pharoah has impressed many, including council member Zach, with his hard work and tough luck story. Oh, but then there's Divad -- she made posters campaigning for herself as a gold star recipient and handed out potato treats to kids waiting in line to talk the the council members. Yeah, that was different this week, too. The council actually asked for the input of all the kids in their decision.

I think that Greg speaking up for Nathan is what made up the minds of the town council. While they were tossing the decision between Pharoah and Nathan, that tipped the scales and made them realize that Nathan has been a workhorse all along. Yes, Pharoah works hard, but only since he found out about the gold star. I think he'll probably get one before the end of the season, but tonight was Nathan's turn to shine.

I'm glad he got it. I've always emphasized with those who march to the beat of a different drum. H e thinks he's different and lots of the other kids think he's different from them. But he's a good kid and a hard worker.

Divad still doesn't get it. Even though the town council and the other kids spoke up about not telling everyone how hard you're working, just work -- she still was talking about leading the others to every bit of work she's done. I think Divad was Taylor in another life, don't you? If she doesn't scheme to earn money without actual work and stops campaigning for herself so much, she too could be a gold star winner. A side note about her -- that burn! Ow! I know I've had hot grease splatter me (haven't we all?), but I never got a blister like that. That's the first thing that I think I've seen on the show which might actually fall in with the pre-show controversies. I think it's going to scar and hope the show makes sure it doesn't leave a lifelong mark on her face.

My favorite lines of the night (if you notice, I have a bias):

Jared after selling his necklaces: "Holy banana bread! $2.90!"

Jared reading while his district pep talks for the showdown: "I'm pumped. I'm just not showing it yet."

No one went home this week, so it's still standing at 38 kids with less than 20 days left to go. I'm still getting a kick out of the funny moments and marveling at the intelligence, compassion, and work ethic exhibited by many of the children.

Courtesy of New York Entertainment

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Kid Nation Discovers The Root Of All Evil

Written By DA Southern.

nathangoldstar.jpg

We knew this would be a scary episode, but we never expected anything like this...OK, I got you. There was no spooky Halloween story tonight, but it was indeed scary to see how messy Bonanza City has become.

As with all of the episodes thus far in Kid Nation, the Kids seem to be dealing with something that will be the theme for the show. Tonight it was money...or the lack thereof. Tonight our little heroes, under the guidance of Divad, opened the show by selling Peach Cobbler on make-shift tables to make some money. Some of the older kids, led by Laurel, were wondering why they had to pay for food when they could have it for free when thy wanted it. Jared, who some of the Bonanza City kids call

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Kid Nation

by David Steed

Episode Recap: "The Root of All Evil"

This is the toughest blog of the entire season for me. Why, you ask? Well, other episodes of Kid Nation might not have been great, but at least they were entertaining. This was a train wreck. So I stamp the big black advisory sticker over this first paragraph and tell you that if you are reading this and going to get annoyed by some negativity, then you might just want to stop now and come back next week. However, if you also thought this week was a train wreck, by all means read to the end. The one thing I won

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Kid Nation - To Be or Not to Be

Written By DA Southern.

kidnationtalentshow.jpg

A huge Southern Style dinner is on tap for the kids of the Nation of Kids in Bonanza City and causes one of the kids to yearn for the

Kid Nation: There's Trouble in Them There Hills

Written By DA Southern.

blainegoldstar.jpg

The delicate balance of Bonanza City looks to be upset with a realignment of the teams as our intrepid pioneers seek to bring back the glory days of the abandoned western town. Last weeks Entertainment episode was profiled as we saw the kids travails to this point and, again, we saw how the kids are adapting to life in Bonanza City.

At the opening of the new day, Laurel was bragging on her green team and how it had four gold star winners and some of the other kids were feeling that the green team was becoming a little to prideful. The scene quickly shifted to the Journal room and had the council members reading the journal from the former town council. The journal was retrospect that the town had become entrenched into too many groups and that the town council should mix up the districts, with Laurel objecting severely because her green team was so well meshed. She went on to say that the kids would hate it.

The town council met in the saloon to discuss making Bonanza City "More equal and fair", as Zach put it. Anjay first started by telling the other three council members that he wanted to show the kids that he was a good leader and that there was a misconception that everyone thought he was doing something wrong and that everyone loved Laurel. What was so funny was Laurel's reaction as Anjay was saying it. It was so, "I know, Anjay, I know." Anjay said he wanted some of the kids that seemed to be the most trouble, like Emily who was seen saying that she hated the red district, while Guylan wanted more of the intellectual, as well as strong kids. Zach stared in by saying that his yellow team was "a bunch of girls" and that he had no hard workers on his team. Anjay was saying that the blue team had strong players, like Greg and Blaine, and that it was trouble when they were together. Laurel listened and then said that she thought that the green district should not be split up with Zach saying that he thought that Laurel was becoming more and more selfish every day and that she was not concerned about the town as a whole. Laurel said that she wanted to think about it.

Laurel told the assembled kid nation that they had read the holy journal and then hesitantly said that the council had decided to mix up the teams, which started a firestorm among some of the kids. Guyan started by welcoming Nathan to the red district. Anjay then welcomed Emilie to the blue district, which made her a bit happier. Zach then said that he needed manpower and welcomed Blaine to the yellow district. In a surprise move, but not really, Laurel did not welcome any new members to her team, but kept her team together, which sent Greg screaming "unfair" and that he "hated" Laurel. Greg was next seen approaching Anjay and questioning him about the decision with Blaine, but in the sidebar, Blaine was kind of relieved to be out of Greg's shadow; That maybe now he would get a bit more recognition now.

Nathan was having a hard time as all of the red team, right in front of Nathan, were voicing their displeasure with Mike being the most vocal to Guylan, which made Nathan feel bad. As usual, our little "Bill Gates", Jared was seen kicking something to show his displeasure.

Day 26 found Hunter having a religious service to try and heal the squabbles and showing everyone that he was stepping up as a leader in the town. As a result of the service, Mike felt bad about giving Nathan such a hard time and had a nice scene with Nathan in which he apologized to him.

Anjay was having a hard time with his team as he was still defending splitting up Greg and Blaine. Greg, still very vocal about the whole situation was threatening to hit Anjay. Anjay was trying to pull the team together while getting ready for the showdown but was doing a poor job when he used the Titanic in an example of fostering teamwork, which sent Greg off.

The kids all marched to the showdown to find Jonathan waiting with mine cars and rocks painted each of the districts colors. Jonathan looked at the changes and was surprised to see no changes on the green team. Jonathan wondered if the changes will be reflected in the final results of the showdown. He announced that each district would have to load the mining sleds with the rocks and pull through an obstacle course. Jonathan asked if a team would not pull its weight in order to get upper class, or pull enough for the entire town to win reward. All districts would have to pull a total of one ton of rocks to win reward.

The teams sprinted to the sleds and started loading rocks. Blue district was first out of the gate with their rocks and many thought they were not pulling their weight. Yellow was second away, with Blaine as a true leader, followed by green and then red, who looked as though they had taken more rocks than the rest. The blue district was the first over the line to become the upper class. Yellow came in second becoming the merchants. Green was third, making them the cooks and red pulled last making them the laborers. The real question was whether or not the districts had a ton of rocks. Blue went first and had 480 lbs they had pulled. Jonathan had told them that each district would have to pull over 500 lbs to win the prize, so already, they were behind. Yellow loaded their rocks next and had 460 lbs, still leaving the total needed well behind what they needed for the prize. Green went next and had carried the least amount of rocks at 420 lbs. Red had indeed carried more than any other team but needed 640 lbs for the town to win the challenge. The red district could only manage 485 lbs, which gave the kids a second straight week of no reward. Sophia and Guylan had some sharp words about who was pulling weight and not just getting by which sent Guylan shaking her head about being a council member anymore.

Jonathan showed them that they lost beds as a first choice and then tortured them by showing them an Airstream trailer that would have been a kids lounge. The kids were disappointed in not having the beds, more than anything, and Jonathan sent them packing with nothing. After the loss, Taylor was seen consoling Randi, who was crying about missing her family and her bed. Zach was seen outside with some of the other boys making fun of his team, Taylor and Randi, for crying all of the time.

Day 27 found Hunter up early working and trying to clean up the town while trying to rally his district to help. Sophia was seen having second thoughts of her words with Guylan and sought her out to apologize. Blaine was seen getting the yellow district up saying that they had a reputation for being the "lazy" district. Kelsey said that Blaine had become such a leader to the yellow team and that he deserved to be a council member.

Again, we see Randi crying to Taylor about going home and, in one of the most touching scenes ever in Kid Nation, Greg consoled Randi and carried her to her bed to make her feel better. Greg said that his Mom used to do the same for him and so he thought that he would do it for her to cheer her up.

Day 28 found us looking at all of the kids lined up to speak to the council for thoughts on who the gold star recipient should be. Clearly, Blaine and Hunter seemed to be the only ones who were getting votes and, for once, we didn't see Divad nominating herself for the star. The scene quickly switched to the town hall meeting for the gold star ceremony. Jonathan, as always, asked if anyone wanted to go home and Randi did indeed raise her hand. After many of the kids tried to talk her out of it, she was resolved to go and Jonathan wished her well and she was gone. The gold star ceremony commenced and Blaine was awarded the star.

In a typical move, Jonathan asked if the town was pleased with the council and only our gold star recipient, Blaine, raised his hand. Jonathan seemed surprised as Greg and others still voiced their displeasure on the moving of people. Jonathan, in a surprise announcement, said that elections were at hand this very night and asked who wanted to run against the council members. After a brief pause, DK raised his hand to challenge Guylan for the red district. In a very surprising move, Blaine raised his hand to challenge Zach for the yellow district. Greg decided to challenge Anjay for the blue district and Michael raised his had to challenge Laurel for the green district which sent a surprised laurel's jaw standing open.

With time running out, the dreaded, "To Be Continued..." flashed across the screen leaving us wondering if the elections were going to be held then or if the candidates were going to have a chance to campaign first.

It's not like your intrepid RealityTVMagazine.com writer wasn't going to be watching anyway, so we will all wait together until next week.

Kid Nation - The Boys Are Back In Town

Written By DA Southern.

We quickly had a recap of last week's episode as we saw the power shift as three of the four teams welcomed new team members and anger as to the council's decision running rampant. With the addition of Blaine to the gold star ranks to the yellow district, we were left with a town council meeting that was in turmoil as Jonathan announced elections once again in Bonanza City and a "to be continued" banner flashed across the screen to set us up for tonight's edition.

Jonathan immediately got into the election process as he had Zach stand up to give a quick speech as well as his opponent Blaine, who said that he thought that the council should motivate more and that he would. In a surprise move, Guylan got up and said to "vote me off," immediately having Jonathan ask if there were any objections, putting DK immediately on the council. Laurel was up next and she told the kids that she loved th job and wanted to continue Michael got up and said that he wanted to test himself to see how he would do. Anjay wanted a second chance and, finally, Greg wanted everybody to know that he was not such a bad guy and that they should not worry if the was on the council

Jonathan announced that it was time to vote and the kids quickly filled the ballot box. Jonathan announced that by a 6 to 3 vote for the yellow district, that Michael had beaten Laurel. By a 7 to 2 vote, Greg clearly beat Anjay for the leader of the blue district. In the closest vote of 5 to 4, Blaine barely edged out Zach, sending a completely new council to helm Bonanza City, leaving many of the kid shaking their heads at the possibly upheaval in the town, especially Mike and Sophia.

A surprising couple of scenes wondering about the fact that Greg and Blaine were in power and what that would do and Zach was seen lamenting the fact that he was no longer in power and was thinking of going home because he missed his parents.

Day 29 had the new council seen meeting and talking about the lack of respect that everybody seem to have towards everyone else in Bonanza City. What was strange was that there was no Diary Room conclave this week for the council to ponder, so we had to know that the new council was in control of the situation. The newly formed council decided to get hold of the situation by having a town meeting to illustrate the whole respect ordeal in their minds. The kids were assembled in the saloon and listened as the council said that they were going to all come forward and talk about themselves and if anyone talked or made a sound that they were going to start all over again. As the kids started, Natashia was the first to make a sound, starting the process all over. This went on repeatedly for maybe 5 or more times until one kid was heard asking if he could pee and having Greg looking totally frustrated with the entire disastrous communication exercise.

On Day 30, we are led to presume that the kid did indeed get to pee and we are now seeing Michael talking to the green district about how he was too timid in allowing the communication exercise to continue. As he talked, Greg and Blaine were seen sneaking around and listening to the conversation between the members of the green district. Sophia and Michael were talking about how Greg and Blaine didn't deserve the gold star because of how they were acting. Markelle and Eric went on to say that the council should just sit and give compliments to everybody instead of working, which they had not been doing that much. So the council decided to do just that, and in a hilarious scene, sat in the middle of town and hurled sleazy compliments to everybody as they passed. When they did so to Sophia, she immediately marched to them and confronted them with Laurel. Michael joined the fray and a word battle ensued, sending Laurel away in tears and had Greg yelling that the council may not give anybody the gold star when it came to the town meeting. Sophia likened the council to a Nazi regime as she turned and walked away in what was one of the most explosive exchanges to date on Kid Nation.

The council boys were seen having a "sitdown" with Michael to try to re-establish control as a cohesive group. Greg apologized to Michael for listening in on their private conversation and Michael shook Greg's hand. Blaine then said that they needed to get people to work and Greg started talking about how Taylor was not working hard enough. DK announced that Taylor would not share in the reward, should they win, because of her work effort. When Taylor was seen being of the possible infraction, she said that she was probably going home anyway.

At the showdown, communication was at the forefront, or lack of it, for the challenge this week. The challenge involved pies, 6 each team, that each team would transport to a lift and another team member would have to lift up to a platform. Then two other team members each holding a log pole, would work together to transport the pie to the awaiting district leader. The council member would then go though the pies to find various communication devices and have to put them in the proper order of their respective invention.

Blue was the first to get a pie to their leader, followed by green, yellow and then red. The pies were pretty much finished in that order as was the correct naming of the proper order, making blue the upper class, green the merchants, yellow the cooks and red the laborers. As the clock wound down, red had a final chance to name the communication devices in the correct order.

As Jonathan revealed that DK had indeed gotten the correct order giving the kids their first reward in 3 weeks. Jonathan revealed that the first choice were ponies, that were cute and could haul water and the 2nd choice were letters from home. The council quickly discussed the pros and cons and greg announced that the ponies were out and the letters were in.

As the council started to pass out the letters, Taylor was conveniently left out of the letter loop. As the council had one letter left, Greg called Taylor up and told that "her consciousness would be added to their own and that she would be assimilated...." Sorry, wrong show...I mean, she said, yes, that she would work harder, and she was rewarded her letter for her compliance. All the kids were scene reading and, generally, crying, when they read their letters. In the last scene, we saw Laurel still sad as to being out of power and thinking about leaving Bonanza City.

In the townhall meeting, one that followed no gold star debate, Jonathan asked if the town was satisfied with the town council and it looked like a pretty even split. Several kids were upset how Greg was acting and generally being insensitive to the kids in general. When Jonathan asked Greg if he would change, he agreed to try harder. Jonathan then asked if there was anybody wanting to go home and, surprisingly, no one did. The big gold star awarding was at hand and we were genuinely led to believe that no one would be awarded one this go round. In a surprising move, the council awarded former council member, Laurel the gold star making the green district the leader in the golden awards.

Laurel was ecstatic with the award and gave the council hugs which had Greg saying that he wanted an individual one. Laurel made the usual call home and was seen at the end with Greg and once again thanking him and hugging each other.

This episode was one of the most explosive to date and is one that will surely define the final stretch of the kid Nation experience. RealityTVMagazine will look forward to the final episodes of this show as we see if the Nation will come together.

Kid Nation: I Just Like The Recess Part

Writing by Dave_Stickney on Thursday, 29 November, 2007 at 1:41 pm

By DA Southern

In the aftermath of last week

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

New Mexico drops its Kid Nation investigation; second season may not happen

The New Mexico Attorney General

By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

For CBS reality show Kid Nation, the controversy may have been too big and the ratings too small. Kid Nation (tonight, 8 ET/PT) asked 40 youths to build their own society in a New Mexico ghost town. But the show faced heavy criticism before it was broadcast, fueled by allegations that the show didn't properly care for the children, ages 8 to 15. (The New Mexico attorney general isn't pursuing an inquiry.)

Controversy faded once Kid Nation aired, but the reality series hasn't mustered much buzz or viewership, placing third in its time slot with 7.7 million viewers.

Tonight's season finale will try to go out with more of a bang, offering gold stars worth $50,000 each to three of the young "pioneers" and promising "one last heart-wrenching surprise."

CBS hasn't decided whether to renew the show, but Horizon Media analyst Brad Adgate doesn't think chances are good unless a prolonged writers' strike increases demand for more unscripted shows.

(Source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...id-nation_N.htm)

Which Former 'Kid Nation' Contestant Is Suing CBS?

Vulture's all-time favorite child-abuse-based reality show Kid Nation is back in the news today! Nikki Finke is reporting that one former contestant who was injured during filming is pursuing a possible lawsuit against CBS. According to Finke, the network has been trying to settle this outside of the courts, but the potential plaintiff is asking for "high 7 figures" while they only want to pay $50,000 (the exact value of one of those super gold stars from the finale). So which kid is it? We're only aware of five serious injuries happening during taping