Dick Week 9

CeCiMom

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad someone was, I was gagging...

But then again, after AllStars I'm not a Janelle fan so what do I care that she reminded me of Anna Nichole Smith.

I just loved the Janelle and Dick flirting

Yes, that was great fun to watch!!

And what was cool is that she initiated it, and was right into it...so it wasn't just a question of it being a fantasy of Dick's.

I have a question for those of you who have been watching for quite sometime. I am new to Big Brother this season but I have to say I'm very disturbed by what I see. I'm a clinical technician for a spousal abuse shelter, and Dick shows all of the classic signs of misogynistic abuse -- the derogatory terms for many of the women in the house, the sexist/racist comments made when he knows cameras are on him specifically (i.e. his backyard rants and tirades), and I don't even need to mention the veiled and open threats he has made to both men and women houseguests.

As a clinician I have to question the screening procedures that are in place by those in charge. It's obvious, from the postings I've seen, that even to the untrained eye Dick is dangerous to himself and others. The criminal allegations made here and elsewhere, whether actually true or not, would not surprise me in the least given his personality patterns. My next question is whether or not Mr. Donato is currently medicated, and whether or not Big Brother is making sure he is taking that medication. In addition, allowing someone like Mr. Donato to have alcohol with the aggression he has already shown is so reckless as to be incomprehensible.

And, watching his daughter Danielle, she shows all of the classic signs of a woman who was raised in an abusive household/situation. She herself many not have necessarily been abused, but it is obvious she was exposed to abuse as a child. Watching the weeks she was HOH, her father controlled her very effectively, despite her maintaining to those within the household that she was making her own decisions. She realized herself that she was being controlled (possibly only subconciously), but in a passive-aggressive manner, instead of confronting her father about that issue she chose to deflect the conflict ("You don't listen to me, I have to live with this outside the house, You don't understand, Why do you do this to me....") back to Dick.

My question is this: Does CBS have a responsiblity to those within the house (including employees) and to young, impressionable viewers who might be watching the program to screen out those like Dick from this show, or do we as individuals shoulder the blame for continuing to support the show and those advertisers that spend money with the show?

I don't agree with with either of your statements (what they insinuate) in your last paragraph. The HG's go through tons and tons of screening and background checks... If it's anything like most reality shows, they also have a mental health evaluation... unless he actually hurts someone, I don't think we're doing a disservice by continuing to watch nor is BB who has tried to maintain Dick's behavior by reminders here and there.

I dislike Dick and think he's been over the top; however, that's where it ends... BB obviously didn't find any mental problems with him, so end of story. He's just a dick.

First of all, I like the show and some of the explosive attitudes.

If you saw the segment on Dick's friends, I think a little insight was shed that he is VERY trustworthy and loyal. I think part of his character is a persona he took on. These shows, including talk shows ask you to bring more of that attitude to the table. I think he has to take the brunt of the anger, and welcomes it, so that either he or his duaghter wins. Dick certainly does not act his age in the house but I know plenty of people who don't act their age.

Jen was different. She had no friends and always wanted to stir the pot for everyone but especially Dick. Yes she was yelled at, had ice tea poured over her head but I don't see that as abuse, more like a spanking for stupid behavior that she usually started. As far as the Jen scene goes, Jen brought that on herself. She got into Dick's face, she continued to slap at him, etc. Dick warned her to back off and she continued to go at it. She "burnt" her own hand by slapping at the cigarette.

I think the house brings out the worst tendencies of the HGs. If any of us were put under a microscope for 3 months, I think we would see things we don't like about ourselves, too. Someone wrote on another thread that two people watching the same feed can interpret the scene completely differently. This is usually based on you own personal history.

My next question is whether or not Mr. Donato is currently medicated, and whether or not Big Brother is making sure he is taking that medication.

i am more worried about eric and his medication... his flapping arms and his facial spasims are freaking me out... and now I have to take more meds!

Archived