Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Denise Martin

The way I look at is was that even during the reunion show she was still playing the game and it got her $50K. I do suspect that it wasn't calculated, just more of who she truly is. It may have got her 50K, but wouldn't surprise me that in the long run it wasn't worth 50K to make her employer look like they were treating her like dirt. If they are treating her like dirt, then she need to find another job.

Also, I think giving her 50K has the added bonus in that a lot of soccer moms who watch the show identity with Denise. Often they have jobs and related to her frustrations. Giving 50K to Denise give those soccer moms a good feeling that their hard work sometimes goes get rewarded. In other words, 50K is also an investment into future ratings. If this was a show with strictly "Buff" 20-something people, the soccer moms would be less interested, and I suspect that the middle class scoccer mom is a large segment of the audience. You can always tell by the commercials who is the target auduence and for Suvivor it's not Nike or Coors. :)

ahh....but she just took away from the "sob story" winning in the finals now. people will be forever wary of the person who's got it rough. just like fairplay ruined it for all people who have a tragedy happen during the family visit!

BRAAAAAAVO DENISE!

Thanks Weazelgirl for posting that article.

Sad to say, all the apologies that Denise does is not going to undo what alot of people think of her now. If she had said on the reunion show that she works nights now and after being away from her family for the show she realized that she really missed her family and wished she had her old day job back. Things would be ok. She instead continued to play the "sob" story. The damage is already done. I still like her. JMHO :pixiedust:

Good post TCS. I think she was still feeling cheated about not winning the million, but her apology doesn't fix it. Now if she refuese to take the 50K, I'd be impressed.

One thing they don't prevent people from doing on Survivor is saying really dumb things. I don't think any less of her, clearly she is not a collage educated career woman with a lot public speaking experience, let alone being on a national TV show live. She's human, and made a mistake that in her normal life would have gone unnoticed.

TCS, your post wasn't just a measly "good" post, it was a REALLY GREAT post! :animated_bouncy:

Thanks Baron and echo, lets just say that I've said somethings at one time or another that I shouldn't have said and wished I could take back. So maybe thats why I can relate to Denises' delimma. lol ;)

There has been other Survivor blunders over the years and this to will pass. :) JMHO and I value yours. :pixiedust:

TCS, A vast majority of people have, not just some, but vast. Not 100s, or 1000s, but more like 10s of millions of people. And it happens every day. Not like she got on national live TV and turned around and said to James: "Hey boy! you're nothing but a dumb <BEEP> for holding on to those two idols". Now that would have been bad.

Okay, so I just got in the loop about all that's been going on with her and her job since the show ended on Sunday. First of all, I was really shocked that they gave her this money. How many other people, in the past 15 seasons of Survivor, could have used that extra money, or have been in similar situations as her? That just seems unfair that, after all this time, they give someone extra money. Look at Rupert, and how everyone felt for him. Or Cirie. So does this mean in seasons to come, it's this easy NOT to win, and still get a prize?

Second of all, it doesn't surprise me much that the truth wasn't told correctly from her, as she obviously has different viewings than other people. She stated while questioning the jury, that she would have won hands down had she made it in the final three. I LOL'ed at that point. Why does she think she would have won? She and Courtney didn't contribute much to the game, and made it to the end mostly because they aligned with the right people. So her saying she would have won and then saying she lost her job doesn't surprise me.

I think she was still feeling cheated about not winning the million, but her apology doesn't fix it. Now if she refuese to take the 50K, I'd be impressed.

exactly...and me too!

I'm guessing from the last line she has yet to receive the $50K, but she's planning on giving it to charity if she gets it. This is from USAToday.com:

'Survivor' lunch lady won't take $50,000

Denise Martin is donating the $50,000 she received to charity.

NEW YORK (AP)

I suspect that she was given the very strong suggestion by CBS that she consider donating it. Kind of like when a cop pulls over a driver at 2am, and suggests that if the driver wants to call a cab to take him home, it is likely to resolve the problem, otherwise the situation is going to get much worse.

She will still get some CASH!

She will probably list it as a charitable donation when she does her taxes.

hmmm donating 50K when she only makes 25? Can you say IRS audit?!??

I'm happy to hear that the money is going to charity. I hope Denise and everyone affected can move on. JMHO :pixiedust:

She will include it in her adjusted gross income, then write it back off as a charitable donation. BUT there are rules about such large donations in the fourth quarter, so....she may end up OWING money. lol. Serves her right.

I'm disappointed that any of this happened, but I am glad the 50 grand is going to a charity.

Never trust anyone who wears a mullet haircut. Especially a woman. blechhhhh

Thanks for your updates on this story, Weazle.

A charity donation was the only possible way to end this situation well. But I think she should have donated it to her own community or even the school cafeteria.

Sign in to follow this