Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Dexter

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

Carvin

Carvin

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,352 posts
Is this "American Psycho" the series?

Dexter has no use for Huey Lewis & The News.

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
I know everyone has their own taste, but man oh man is this show great! I can easily watch each episode twice over. I love it, and hope it doesn't get cancelled like Huff did. It's rare I like a series from Showtime, so ya, this is a bonus!

nekocase

nekocase

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I could not love this show any more than I already do. Simply brilliant. Michael C. Hall is superb. I don't think anyone else could have pulled it off any better. With Weeds being unwatchable this year, save for a few moments with Mary-Louise Parker, Dexter is the reason I'm keeping Showtime. This may end up being my second favorite show of all time, behind the fantastic Six Feet Under, of course.

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
omg it's NEKO!!! He's alive, finally I can breathe again! I miss chatting with you!!!

nekocase

nekocase

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Elle. I miss it too. I'll try and get in every once in a while.

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
Me too. Msg me and we'll meet up to chat and shoot the shit!

WickedOne

WickedOne

Wicked Member

• Pip
  • 9,779 posts
I read the books.Dexter's my hero. cool.gif

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Dexter

by Paula Paige

October 15, 2006 – “The Popping Cherry”
Dexter has feelings. I’m certain of it. And the place where this is most clearly realized is the way in which he tells us about his father, and his relationship to him — certainly an indication of love. He wants everyone to believe he has no emotions, but I don’t believe him. He was willing to kill for his father. (Goodbye, Nurse Ratchet!) And as Harry was the one to teach him how to live the vigilante lifestyle, full of lessons of right from wrong, the show could have been called "The Code of Harry."

Not only does Dexter love his father, but he loves Rita’s kids, too. Or at least, likes them a lot. Upon hearing Rita’s daughter cry as he removes her splinter, Dexter intimates “If I had a heart, it would be breaking right now.” He does have a heart. He just doesn’t want to show it, and it has something to do with whatever happened to him before Harry and his wife took him in as their foster child. It’s alluded to again in this ep.

The best line came when he was talking with Debra at the ice rink and he learns she was friendly with the latest victim of the Ice Truck killer; he offers, “Do you need a hug?” to which Debra had a perfect reply.

I wondered last week about what happens to his victims after he has, shall we say, taken them apart. So a clue revealed, perhaps? When Rita admits to not being very good with fruit trees — “I kill things,” she says — Dexter replies he has quite the green thumb, narrowing it down to the type of fertilizer. He finds “bone meal” works the best. Hmmm. Possible?

OK, new dilemma: Why does Lieutenant Laguerta ride Deb so hard? There’s a mystery here. Or is it jealousy over Dexter, or more likely the probability that Maria is jealous of Deb moving up the ranks faster than she ever would have had it not been for that one fateful press conference? There’s a secret inside the good lieutenant that has yet to be uncovered. This viewer is very curious as to what’s going on. Could it be that Maria would like to go a little L Word on Debra?

Hello? Music Supervisor? What’s with the soundtrack? Or rather, lack thereof. Showtime has been quite well-known for its cutting-edge soundtracks; even Weeds has a different musical act perform its "Little Houses" opener every week. But the lack of interesting music really detracts from the ambiance of the show. There are so many tracks that could really liven up the action.

Loved the gator scene; in a place like Florida, anyone could become bone meal.

Posted by Paula Paige 10/16/06 1:36 AM

October 22, 2006 – "Let’s Give the Boy a Hand," and a foot, and a leg…
The Ice Truck killer finds a way to get under Dexter’s skin and it's fun to watch Dexter's emotions pour, or rather just drip, out of him.

Best lines:
Dexter: Interesting hand job.
Angel: That’s funny.
Dexter: Is it?

It’s nice to see some faces from other Showtime series – Erin Daniels, Dana from the L Word pops in as the girl next door…She plays a bit much without the ‘m-u’.

Favorite part is when the kid in the costume store wearing the president’s mask turns around just as Dexter says the word, ‘monster.’

No killing in this one, just a lot of maiming. Which is nasty enough as it is, but c’mon, I’ve gotten myself all worked up to see some down and dirty serial killing and by gum, I want my money’s worth. Showtime isn’t free, you know.

The Ice Truck killer’s real purpose is in helping unravel the many layers of our fearless Dexter. ITK is having fun with him and it unnerves the strictly business Dex. The ITK’s photographs replicate Dexter’s past and force him to relive some childhood moments that reveal his struggle with adapting to his circumstances and coming to terms with his unique talents.

Doakes unknowingly gets used as bait and nearly gets killed to bring down Guerrero. And it’s all done so that his dead girlfriend’s brother can get even with Doakes for sleeping with his sister in the first place.

Debra is really starting to grow on me. She plays a little dumb, but she’s kind of endearing. The lieutenant really has a problem with her and it’s starting to get old. She needs to get over herself. My crystal ball shows some confrontation for the two of them in the future. Hopefully for Laguerta’s sake she won’t bother Debra so much that it ticks Dexter off and he has to add the lieutenant to his ever growing list of victims.

Rita gives the perfect Halloween gift dressed as Lara Croft, but without Lara’s, shall we say, ‘healthy glow.’ Dexter looks mortified, but somehow he goes with the proverbial flow. I say, ‘what a fantastic girlfriend.’

For anyone who’s missed any part of the series, Showtime is having a Dexter marathon Saturday @ 8 PM.

Posted by Paula Paige 10/23/06 10:16 AM

October 29, 2006 Love American Style or Is That Any Way to Treat a Lady
Episode 5 which will go down in cable history as Dexter’s finest show to date. This is the one where Debra Morgan grows some cahones, Dexter Morgan gets back to business and the world is right again. This is the one where I got it — the humor, the style, the madness, or rather lack thereof. Dexter is rarely angry and certainly never seems insane. You’ve got to be a little nuts to live a double life especially the kind that Dexter lives. But Dexter seems to enjoy it and now, I do, too.

Sgt. Doakes is the one riding Debra’s hindquarters now. He’s always been kind of nasty to Dexter, but now he’s taking it out on everyone else, including the painfully pasty Deb. I was yelling at the TV for her to let him have it. Why she lets all her superiors walk all over her, I cannot understand. So when she finally tells him to frak off (thanks BSG) I was really proud of her and thought, perhaps she can fill the shoes of an interesting character. Of course, when Mr. Tucci refers to Debra as smart, I must say, I did chuckle a little. Not one of my top ten adjectives to describe her. I know you Debra lovers are gonna get me for saying it. But she’s still got a lot to prove to me, too!

Debra finally got her moment when Doakes came around to her way of thinking and because of it they made the first real break on the ITK case. She got a second one in this ep by giving Mr. Tucci a gift - Shaundra. Last week it was bjs, this week – prostitutes. Everyone in Miami seems so giving.

Speaking of giving, movie night with Rita turns into one of the funniest moments yet while the two lovebirds are watching Terms of Endearment. When Dexter thinks by opening his eyes really wide he might produce a tear or two in complement to Rita’s own, even my dog laughed. His failed attempt at reciprocating Rita’s Lara Croft memento was nearly as funny. And he sure seemed relieved to be let off the hook. I must admit, though, during their dinner, after Dexter learned a thing or two about love, (albeit, in a fairly unusual manner), and he asked Rita what kind of a life she wants and they found themselves describing the same thing, I was touched.

I knew after lasts week’s kill-free episode, we’d be back to multi-tasking, making up for lost time. Dexter was pleasantly surprised to get two kills in one. The early bird gets the worms. Two birds, one stone. Double the pleasure. Double the saran wrap. Can we get right to the double bill? The American business man whose job entails human trafficking and his flat-chested wife with as much vitriol for the Cuban refugees as her heartless husband; the passionate love-speak of the two about-to-be-corpses was too much for me. But it moved Dexter and if the only way he can find love is to question the dying, then who are we to judge?

Now we know what Dex is doing with those body parts, and now bodies, and I’ll bet a thousand bucks that the ITK is on to him as well. If his eye was in the truck of the junkyard car, what’s to say he’s not treading water in the Atlantic with an invisible snorkel? Isn’t Dexter worried about one of those bodies, or parts rising to the surface due to an abundance of gas? I would be up nights with anxiety attacks worried sick about the possibility of them surfacing…

Angel’s dead-end marriage is outed when Dexter drops Angel onto the couch in what he finds is no longer Angel’s happy, blissful abode. Nina comes out of the bedroom wondering about the commotion. When Dex leans over to pick Angel back up off the couch, I felt for him. How many times have we found ourselves in these types of situations?

Random thoughts:

In a town where Nip/Tuck is set, seems like no one has ever heard the words, boob job. I give you two examples from the ep to provide proof – Shaundra and Mrs. Castillo.

The Cuban refugee crisis gets a spotlight on the ep and with Fidel Castro showing off his sexy moves on Cuban TV this past week, the topic is topical.

I’m constantly amazed at the incredibly stylized look of the show. The way Doakes is shot when he is questioning the hospital worker, it’s downright stylish.

Janis Joplin immortalized the words, freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose, and it’s mimicked here by the immigration officer who ad libs the second half in a style not suitable for this blog. Only now, there might be something to it.

Hope you all got a chance to catch up on the entire series. With 5 more shows to go, I don’t know if I can handle the separation anxiety that is surely setting in.

Posted by Paula Paige 10/30/06 9:55 AM

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: OUR TAKE

Showtime's Dexter Takes a Stab at Season 2

This just in, from Showtime:

"Showtime has ordered a second season of its freshman drama Dexter, starring Emmy- and Golden Globe-nominated actor Michael C. Hall, it was announced today by Robert Greenblatt, Showtime President of Entertainment. Dexter premiered last month to widespread critical acclaim and ranks as Showtime's top-rated series. Production is set to begin on 12 new episodes next spring [to] premiere on Showtime in late 2007."

New episodes of Dexter air Sundays at 10 pm/ET.

Posted by Matt Webb Mitovich 11/2/06 4:15 PM

muffytepperman

muffytepperman

• Pip
  • 35 posts
I love this show more every week, but I have a question. Dexter, until tonight, had quite a few damning items in his apartment. He conjectured that his new pal the ice truck killer wanted to play. However it would strike me that getting some better locks or security of any kind for his apartment might still be wise. Psycho serial killers may have a set of rules I'm not aware of, but what if ice truck decides he wants to make life even more difficult for his playmate (as he did in this episode). Does Dexter want to get outted? Because having an open door policy for someone who the police are after AND who knows that you share his hobby seems a little out of character for such a "keep it clean and leave no trace" guy like Dexter.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts

Dexter

by Paula Paige

November 5, 2006 – “Return to Sender”
By now, you’ve all heard the good news. Dexter has been picked up for 12 new episodes coming in Spring 2007. This is a good thing considering how close Dexter came in this episode to being found out.

Mrs. Castillo returns via the ITK:
When he’s called to the scene of his crime and Mrs. Castillo has been layed out in the Airstream we get to know more about how Dexter works. “A real pro,” he’s called and wishes he could take it as a compliment.

Dexter is unraveling:
The ITK is getting back at Dexter for not killing the security guard.
A little kid is found in the trunk and when Dex climbs in to see what he can see, he knows he’s been watched. But was it is the boy or the ITK? Either way he could be discovered. Dexter says the noose is tightening. “This is how it ends - in the hands of a seven year old.”

Best thing about this little boy, we finally get to see a softer side of Laguerta, or LT as Angel calls her. And he’ll break her heart in the end.

Many flashbacks tonight all focused on Deb and Dex’s relationship growing up with Harry. Deb is Harry’s real daughter, I thought she had been a foster child like Dexter. She’s definitely jealous of the time Harry spends with Dex. And rightly so, he does not give her the kind of attention he gives his adopted son. Did we know that Dexter had been brought home from a case? Is that even legal?

Rita’s ex returns, or tries to:
Rita’s ex calls gets her kind of freaked out and with a little encouragement from Dexter she puts him in his place. He can’t push her around, but you know that’s going to come back later and bite her in the derriere.

Funny moment:
When Masuka runs the tox screen and finds M99 a veterinary drug in Mrs. Castillo’s system, Dexter promises, “No more donuts for Masuka.”

Can anyone please tell me what Deb having dinner with the Doakes’ family has to do with anything. Operators are standing by.

Dexrter’s sense of humor returns:
“Her husband’s a crack head and her boyfriends a serial killer, it’s kind of hard not to take that personally.”

I love the dream where Deb is the serial killer and has his M.O. and he sees the ITK dangling the Barbie doll head. He wakes up with a cleaver in his chest. Ouch! “I don’t have bad dreams. I’ve never felt a moment of remorse, doubt, or regret. What’s happening to me?”

Deb tries her hand at detective work:
She comes up with a profile for the serial killer that sounds a little too much like Dexter and he discourages her from using it. She won’t soon forgive him for what he ends up doing to save his own neck.

I’m going to have to learn Spanish to really appreciate this show since a good portion of it is in Spanish and there are no subtitles.

Deb’s spine returns:
Morgan in the bathroom to Laguerta – “Why do you have it in for me?”
Laguerta “You’re loud, and you question authority.”

ITK returns
Dexter moving out? He has to let go so he throws all of his ‘utensils’ overboard…
Thinks the boy saw him.
His specimen tokens!! What will he do? He names the kills. He pulls Valerie Castillo out and the ITK has made a smiley face on her blood spot.
Will he fight his way to survive?
Dexter is fighting for himself trying to put the blame on Jorge.

Dexter knows his “Days are numbered. I’d better make the most of them…” And as his dad said, “Storm’s on its way.”

That’s good news for us! It just keeps getting better and better.

Posted by Paula Paige 11/6/06 10:18 AM

backdoor

backdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts
I think the Doakes family dinner was a setup for a future romance with Deb, which should be interesting considering Doakes' distaste for Dexter.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Michael C. Hall: Can Dexter Catch a (Fellow) Killer?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Michael C. Hall, Dexter

Who'd have thought that a series serving up an unapologetic killer for a protagonist would slay viewers the way Dexter has? Yet the proof is in the pudding (or is that coagulated blood?): The Showtime drama, barely midway through its first season, has already been picked up for a second round of giddy, gory chills. In anticipation of this week's episode (Sunday at 10 pm/ET) — in which the elusive and bloody-brilliant Ice Truck Killer is purportedly unmasked — TVGuide.com spoke with series star and Six Feet Under alum Michael C. Hall.

TVGuide.com: It's good to talk to you, man. I really enjoy the show — though I'm not entirely sure what that says about me as a person.
Michael C. Hall:
[Laughs]

TVGuide.com: Congratulations on the Season 2 pickup. Who did you hear the news from?
Hall:
There were a lot of calls that day from the powers that be.... We finished shooting two weeks ago, and it was announced the following week.

TVGuide.com: At the show's outset, were you bullish or bearish on its prospects? Did a part of you think this subject matter could prove too dark and grisly?
Hall:
Well, I knew it certainly had the potential to be interesting, and that its palatability had everything to do with the tone. There's some pretty dark subject matter, so there had to be some organic-seeming levity and lightness to counterbalance it. I think we've managed to find that.

TVGuide.com: What have you found to be the hardest part about playing Dexter?
Hall:
In a way it's kind of a lonely experience. Dexter is an incredibly lonely guy, and going to that place is one of the biggest challenges.

TVGuide.com: Yeah, we're often reminded — like when Rita showed up unannounced at his place — that any time he's not on duty, he is probably holed up in his apartment.
Hall:
Yeah, yeah....

TVGuide.com: How does the voice-over thing work? Do you record it first, and then act out the scenes? Do you "play" Dexter's voice-over in your head as you do scenes...?
Hall:
It depends on the voice-over, which works in different ways at different times. Sometimes I feel it's appropriate to quite literally have the thoughts [during filming], and sometimes I don't, and I allow the voice-over to sort of be a counterpoint to what's happening in a scene. I will go in my trailer and lay down a preliminary track of the voice-overs, so the editors, when they're cutting it together, have a sense of how that read will be. Afterwards, I rerecord the voice-over to picture, because oftentimes...

TVGuide.com: You want to hit certain beats and stuff.
Hall:
Yeah, and you can only do that if you're looking at the screen.

TVGuide.com: What can you tease about this week's episode, in which "the Ice Truck Killer is identified, but something about it doesn't sit right with Dexter"?
Hall:
Hmm... I'm trying to tell you something without telling you anything. [Laughs] What doesn't sit right with Dexter is that he had this real infatuation with this killer, and the suspect they come up with just doesn't fit the bill.

TVGuide.com: He's like, "There's no way this guy is the killer."

Hall:
Right. [The suspect] stuffs roadkill and lives in a double-wide, and Dexter is really reluctant to give himeself over to the idea that this is the guy.

TVGuide.com: There's stuffs-roadkill sick, and then there's sick sick.
Hall:
Yeah!

TVGuide.com: We also meet Rita's abusive drug-addict ex on Sunday. I can't imagine Dexter is going to put up with much crap from this guy.
Hall:
Um, their relationship has an "inherent tension" from the get-go, yeah.

TVGuide.com: Is it my understanding that in the Dexter book, he considers that he himself might be the Ice Truck Killer?
Hall:
There is an element, in the first book, where he goes through a phase [during which] he starts to wonder if he's really lost his mind and is doing these things and is literally not remembering. But I don't believe that will be an element of the show.

TVGuide.com: Do you happen to know if it's even possible what this guy is doing, chopping up people and leaving no blood?
Hall:
Yeah, [Darkly Dreaming Dexter author] Jeff Lindsay of course did his research, and over the course of the season more details are revealed as to just how someone would do such a thing.

TVGuide.com: Hopefully not enough is revealed that any kids at home might go to reenact it.
Hall:
[Laughs] Yeah, I certainly hope this doesn't do that.

TVGuide.com: Which relationship is most interesting for you to play? Is it Dexter and Rita? Dexter and his sister? Him and Doakes?
Hall:
You know, it's hard to single any one out. What's interesting, particularly in the relationship both with Rita and with Deb, is a real desire for a connection, and, as a result of that, a desire on some level to reveal himself, to confess in a way. That dynamic is at work with both of the primary women in his life.

TVGuide.com: Does a part of you hope that Dexter and Doakes grow to be more civil toward each other, or do you want them to stay loaded with animosity and friction?
Hall:
I don't know where things are headed in Season 2, but I will say that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

TVGuide.com: What can you say about the possibility of the Ice Truck Killer mystery being resolved by season's end?
Hall:
Um, "Stay tuned!" [Laughs] It sort of is one of the narrative spines of the season, and we're not going to leave it alone. We're going to stick with it. I've got to say, when we were shooting the last half of this season, it was a real bullet train. It's going to be really satisfying for fans of the show.

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts

Dexter

by Paula Paige

November 12, 2006 – Dexter - "Circle of Friends"
The word of the day is creepy.

Show of hands, who thinks, Debra, of the fine detective skills, fingered the ITK? Yeah, me neither. The day that Debra is smarter than her brother will be the coldest day around here. But we must give her credit where credit is due – the doctor she’d kissed is hot, but somehow, creepy. Dexter called it all along and when recognized Dex’s fine detective skills, I knew they had taken in the wrong man. Not to say that Neil Perry wasn’t completely creepy with all the stuffed roadkill in his house, but just not their man.

Rita’s handling of her husband around the kids was worrying me until she showed up at his hotel doorstep and demanded he sign the divorce papers he had refused to sign in prison. His acquiescence based on how firey she was and how excited that made him, was creepy, and certainly untrustworthy to say the least. This guy has something up his sleeve.

The women on the show seem to be developing into fully realized characters only seven episode into the first season. I’m glad to see it happening and can’t wait to see what stuff these gals are made of.

My favorite moment might have come when the Lieutenant got schooled by the department chief - it was just pure fantastic. I loved the look on Laguerta’s face as she was making herself up and he told her the press conference was over. That was priceless.

I am happy to have stuck with Dexter. It is unraveling like a fine murder mystery, which is how it came into existence in the first place. Dexter’s concerned advice to Jeremy was smart and good intentioned, but without a Harry around on a constant basis, his advice could go nowhere. The glimmer of himself he saw in Jeremy was a testament to his sense of being and made him that much more human for me. We know his dark side, unlike Rita, who is a bit oblivious when it comes to the men in her life and since she says, Dexter “has a good heart”, yet we know how hard won the balance is for him.

I believe some of the best writing on TV is happening in the war room at Showtime. And frankly, no matter how creepy, I say, “bring it on."

Posted by Paula Paige 11/13/06 10:34 AM

November 18, 2006: Shrink Wrap
AKA — “Is that a power drill in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”

Let’s start at the end and work our way back, Memento-style.

Drum roll, please! We have a winner! The good doctor is the ITK. This could be interesting. He’s strikingly good-looking and charming and has a well-respected job in society... sound like any other serial killers?

Here’s what I don’t get. The ITK actually kills his victims, slices them apart and then drains their blood, so why make casts of Deb’s legs? Not that she doesn’t have some lovely gams, but what’s he going to do with them, practice? He had containers of blood in the cold storage. I am confused. Someone, please explain.

In which we learn about Dexter’s powerlessness: What the show has been missing in gory details, it made up for tonight in spades. 1) We had the “suicide” of the powerful woman. We had Dexter’s flashback. And it would appear that the something dreadful that happened to Dexter before he ended up in the foster-care system was very gruesome. Perhaps one of his parents killed the other? They were told his father died before he was taken in. 2) The 3-year-old Dexter sits in a pool of blood crying out for his mother. 3) And we have the final scene of Dexter and his former therapist. I see he got new tools since he threw the others overboard.

In which Dexter gets a chance to open up and share: I loved that we got to see Dexter in therapy with the other good doctor, Dr. Emmett Meridian. The doctor had him pegged in the first few minutes as someone who likes to be in control and usually gets away with it. Dr. Meridian asks Dexter, “Have you ever been close to anyone?” Dexter answers thoughtfully that his “foster father was the only one who ever really knew me.” For a moment, I thought they were going to start using therapy sessions as a device, like Lorraine Bracco in the Sopranos — exposition-style. But this was better. The doctor deserved the Saran Wrap musings of Dexter.

In which Dexter is afraid of looking into the eyes of loved ones: More exciting breakthroughs during therapy included Dexter realizing his fear that when he makes love to a woman they will see him for what he is and then he can’t be with them anymore. But this changes when he finally sleeps with Rita, and she is still there in the morning and still wants to be with him. She even goes so far as to say there's nothing he could do that would scare her. (All I could think was, "Just you wait.") What’s even more interesting is that when Debra is making love to the good doctor/ITK, she covers his eyes with her hand. Now if she could just see that he was the killer, can you say "promotion?"

In which subplots are not as fun as the rest of the show: We knew little Neil Perry was a squirt last week. No one believed he could have done it. (Of course, we shouldn’t get too stringent about that, remember Nip/Tuck and the famous Carver – all fingers pointed to him, then away, and then we were led right back into his greedy little slicing scalpel.)

And for the record, it was a nice shout-out to Craigslist; I’ll bet Craig Newmark is thrilled to death to have his infamous site used as a meeting place for SKA, or Serial Killers Anonymous.

Did anyone catch the ITK’s e-mail address? frozenbarbie@hotmail.com. Let’s all send e-mails and find out what happens. I mean, if you dare.

Posted by Paula Paige 11/20/06 12:33 AM

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
I just want to say, "I knew it!!!". As soon as I saw that doctor dude, I knew he was the "ice truck" killer.

fizzle

fizzle

• Pip
  • 13,548 posts
Elle... i thought the same thing.. as soon as they showed that doctor.. something was "off" about him. i just knew he was the creepy body chopper. i wonder what his sick plan will be now... with dexter's sister.. ohmy.gif

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Dexter's No. 1 Gal — Julie Benz — Previews a Killer Finale

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Julie Benz with Michael C. Hall, Dexter

The Ice Truck Killer, at long last, is definitively unmasked, yet on the loose. The race is now on for Dexter to suss out the serial slayer before our antihero's own sister becomes the latest victim. As Showtime prepares to premiere the freshman series' season finale, Sunday at 10 pm/ET, TVGuide.com spoke with Angel alumna Julie Benz about what's ahead, including a mystery of Rita's own that could prove to be boyfriend Dexter's next (severed) headache.

TVGuide.com: I just finished watching the finale....
Julie Benz:
Oh, you did? Wow... I haven't even seen it yet.

TVGuide.com: It's good stuff.
Benz:
Is it? Yay!

TVGuide.com: Very twisty and turny. What's been the hardest part for you about inhabiting Rita's skin? It's not a typical role for an actress.
Benz:
No, it isn't, but I don't think she's that far from me as far as my more vulnerable side. As she develops more of her strength, finding that balance between her strength versus her vulnerability is the hardest part for me.

TVGuide.com: She has developed a lot this season in that respect.
Benz:
Yeah, she did. A part of me wants to find that inner core strength, but always maintain the level of vulnerability that she struggles with all the time.

TVGuide.com: What have been the most challenging scenes for you to play — save, of course, for dressing up as Lara Croft, Tomb Raider?
Benz:
[Laughs] That was fun, it wasn't challenging! In the beginning, for me it was working with the kids. When you work with children — and those kids are so young, 6 and 8, and not trained actors at all — you really have to be on your toes and live moment to moment.

TVGuide.com: Do you have any nieces and nephews?
Benz:
I have lots, so I have quite a bit of aunt experience, but it's different when you're on set and you don't know what your role is really supposed to be in their lives. I mean, you're playing their mother but yet you're not their mother. I think we ultimately established that I'm kind of their friend and their colleague rolled into one!

TVGuide.com: Let's tease the finale a bit. There's an interesting parallel in that, as Dexter is closing in on the Ice Truck Killer, Rita is given her own mystery to start unraveling.
Benz:
Yes....

TVGuide.com: Did you enjoy that new story direction?
Benz:
Oh, yeah, definitely. I actually thought my story line was pretty much tied up in Episode 10, and then you see in 11 and 12 that they're starting this whole other unraveling of Dexter's personal life. I was shocked by it. Me, as a fan, I don't want Rita to find out!

TVGuide.com: If she were to ever uncover what Dexter is up to when he's not with her, do you think there is any chance she would buy into this code he lives by? His rationalization for killing killers?
Benz:
Oh, wow... I don't know. She so badly wants to see the good in him and believe in the good in him, but at the same time there's that moral question: Is it right or is it wrong?

TVGuide.com: Even if it is "right," do you really want this guy hanging around your kids?
Benz:
Exactly. I think she would make the choice to go away, if she ever truly found out.

TVGuide.com: But if they do go on to get married, Rita's kids can bring Dexter to Career Day at school, and....
Benz:
"So what do you do for a living? What do you do for a hobby?" [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: Are you squeamish at all? Can you handle watching Dexter?
Benz:
I hate the sight of blood, and I hate working with fake blood — I don't have to [on Dexter], thank god, but on other shows I've had to, and it just grosses me out. I don't think our show is that gory or squeamish. It's more, like, fascinating. You can't stop watching it.

TVGuide.com: How about a few words for your leading man, Michael C. Hall? [Hall has since been nominated for a Golden Globe award.]
Benz:
Oh, my god. I can't believe I get to work with him every day! I've been a huge fan of his since Six Feet Under. My cell-phone ring even used to be the Six Feet Under theme song, and then I got cast, and I was like, "I have to change it!" [Laughs] I mean, how embarrassing?!

TVGuide.com: Did you ever tell Michael about it?
Benz:
Yes, he knows now.... I've saved it as his own personal [incoming call] ring. But yeah, I feel so lucky to have him be my scene partner. He raises the bar, as far as the level of work that's done on set. He brings out the best in me and my work. He's the most intelligent actor I've ever worked with.

TVGuide.com: Who have you had even the most fleeting of scenes with, that you would have liked to work more with?
Benz:
The rest of the cast and I joke around that I'm in a whole different show than they are. [Laughs] I would love to work with the rest of the cast. I'm very close with David Zayas (Batista) and Erik King (Doakes) and Jennifer Carpenter (Debra) and Lauren Velez (Lt. LaGuerta)... and even James Remar. I very rarely get to see them except at the occasional table read. The whole cast is so wonderful, but I miss them because I don't get to see them every day.

TVGuide.com: What's the oddest or most fun thing you've ever had to do for an acting role?
Benz:
I had to sing on Angel [on which Benz played Darla], and I am not a singer. I have no singing ability whatsoever. But they had a karaoke bar where you would sing and they could read your soul.... They asked if I could do it and I said sure, I'd try. They had a backup plan to have me lip-synch, but they gave me a simple song and I managed to do it. But it was terrifying — I really wanted to crawl under a rock that day.

TVGuide.com: Are you all done with your voice work for the Halo 3 video game?
Benz:
You know what? I am actually not a part of Halo 3. I was informed a couple of weeks ago that they are actually changing the voice of Captain Miranda Keyes, and giving her an accent.

TVGuide.com: Are you serious?! What kind of an accent?
Benz:
I have no idea. [Laughs] They didn't even entertain the idea of having me do it, so... I was very sad. I was very sad. I had such a great time doing Halo 2.

TVGuide.com: Did you approve of your video-game likeness?
Benz:
You know, I haven't played the game because I don't have [Xbox]. But people say she's pretty hot, so I'm like, "All right!" She's brunette, and I've never "played" a brunette before.

TVGuide.com: Did you find there to be some overlap between the Buffy-Angel fans and the video-game crowd?
Benz:
Definitely, definitely. Halo 2 had opening sales of $100 million. That's a much wider audience than anything I've ever been a part of!

TVGuide.com: Out of that $100 million, how many millions do you get?
Benz:
Absolutely none. [Laughs] And I don't even get to be in Halo 3!

With special thanks to my college chum, Major Nelson.

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
What an amazing episode that last one was! The whole sha-bang has been great thus far. I can't imagine what story line they'll follow next to keep with the hype of the show.

djb

djb

• Pip
  • 450 posts
I gave it a chance last season and absolutely LOVED it. Can't wait for Season 2 to start in September.

erinjs

erinjs

• Pip
  • 13,891 posts
The books are even better.... should read them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users