Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Dexter

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
Has anyone else seen the promos for this show? I can't wait! It looks awesome. It's about a guy who works as a forensics pathologist by day, and is himself a serial killer by night.

Carvin

Carvin

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,352 posts
He's not a forensic pathologist, he's a blood spatter expert. You also might wanna mention it's on Showtime and premieres tonight at 10EDT and stars Michael C. Hall who played David on the greatest television show ever, Six Feet Under.

I'll be watching in High Definition.

GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps

• Pip
  • 18,329 posts
That was a good mention, Carvin. I would have missed it for sure. Unfortunately, "the blood splatter expert" will always be known to me as the "gay mortician" - I hope I can overlook this on the new show because it does look interesting.

I will not be watching in HDTV.

ElleNaturelle

ElleNaturelle

• Pip
  • 5,503 posts
Here it's on Monday at 9pm. I guess it varies then with where you are?

CrackersMartini

CrackersMartini

• Pip
  • 3,452 posts
The info given by DirectTV on the show, describes him as a 'forensic analyst'.

I hope it's really creepy. I loved him as David and I could so see him in this role.

Carvin

Carvin

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,352 posts
I liked it. I like his sister. I like that his boss has the hots for him. I like that his dad saw what he was and turned him into what he is. I like the one cop who is creeped out by him and I especially like the fact that he has no interest in sex.

QUOTE(That's my girl)
The info given by DirectTV on the show, describes him as a 'forensic analyst'.

Don't you mean phyrensic?

CrackersMartini

CrackersMartini

• Pip
  • 3,452 posts
I liked that he had a head thrown at him and that the killer is toying with him.. good times!

phyrensic, candlebra..whatever

backdoor

backdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts
For those without showtime you can see the 1st episode online at http://www.sho.com/s...eakpeek/home.do password is sneak peek

GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps

• Pip
  • 18,329 posts
They showed it twice last night and both times I fell asleep on it-. Weird show...no I can't get passed his sterotype from Six Feet Under. I usually never like a show while it's airing first time, first season and wind up going back and watching it on demand. We'll see.

Carvin

Carvin

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,352 posts
Yeah well some people are better off sticking to the CSI, SUV, NCIS drivel that seems to entertain so many dullards.

GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps

• Pip
  • 18,329 posts
Never watched anyone of those shows - I guess you do...why are they drivel?

And speaking of dull...........oh never mind, some people are calling being dull, "personality"--go figure!

Scuba

Scuba

• Pip
  • 9,136 posts
i tried, i really did, but after 3 attempts to get thru one episode, i gave up. this will be one show i can't watch

Carvin

Carvin

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,352 posts
Yeah well some people are better off sticking to the Lost, Greys Anatomy, and Desperate Housewives twaddle that seems to entertain so many simpletons.

Scuba

Scuba

• Pip
  • 9,136 posts
you have a point....i only watch one of those three though

CrackersMartini

CrackersMartini

• Pip
  • 3,452 posts
I know what happened.. tuba saw a penny, picked it up.. was wowed by it.. put it down.. saw a penny, picked it up....was wowed by it... and so on and so forth.

GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps

• Pip
  • 18,329 posts
I'll give it another shot, but I think this show may be going off to showtime heaven (or hell) soon!

ohmy.gif

Scuba

Scuba

• Pip
  • 9,136 posts
CM.....it was a nickel....

fizzle

fizzle

• Pip
  • 13,548 posts
ok, i watched it. not too bad. i guess since he is only killing off bad people..its ok.

and the sneek peak at whats coming looks good. bad killer vs. good killer.. cat and mouse game... i will give it a go.

Francis_3

Francis_3

• Pip
  • 4,399 posts
Is this "American Psycho" the series?

Dade

Dade

Chat Host

• LFU
  • 12,888 posts
Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Dexter - Pilot

“Tonight’s the night, and it’s going to happen again and again.” So begins the tale of the forensics guru who specializes in uncovering killers by studying the blood spatterings they leave behind. And how does his know what these killers think? Because he is one. Meet Dexter Morgan, forensics expert by day, serial killer by night.

This is a gruesome show and not for the uninitiated. Like me. I sat both terrified to watch the premiere episode but also strangely titillated. I could not turn away, but I also awoke in the middle of the night completed horrified. So, I’m a lightweight – now you know – I hope you won’t hold that against me.

The opening sequence is gorgeously shot, slick like a David LaChapelle video; Miami has never looked sexier. But when the camera alights on a beautiful gazebo glitteringly decorated with twinkling lights and the sounds of a boy’s choir singing I knew we were in for trouble. Not just us, but the choir director, a husband, a father, and a killer of young boys. He needs to be taken down, but the Miami police can’t handle the amount of crime they’ve got. Dexter takes it upon himself to right this terrible wrong – in all too gory detail.

Michael C Hall, looking way hotter than when he was in Six Feet Under, is all confidence and only slight swarminess. Dexter is a man who knows himself very well and needs no psychoanalysis or pharmaceuticals to come to grips with his daily life.

Dexter ferries his boat, Slice of Life, to his houseboat, (surprise) enters and proceeds to dismantle the air conditioner. Even a newbie to serial killer shows, like me, knows what’s he’s got in there. He pops out a wooden box, and lo and behold, his treasure chest of mementoes from his kills. After admiring the latest prize, a single drop of blood memorialized between two glass specimen slides, he drops it in alongside the many others and smiles saying, “blood sets my teeth on edge sometimes,” a feeling we are sure he enjoys.

So it’s interesting that his case tonight is a bloodless one. Women being sliced up in pieces and the parts wrapped in brown paper and twine, like an Easter leg of lamb. It bothers him because a day without blood to Dexter is just not a day worth living.

In flashbacks portraying Dex as a messed up kid, his foster father Harry Morgan recognizes his son’s demeanor and teaches him to use it for good, not evil, turning him into vigilante, even if he’s pretty sadistic about it. Aside from the choir director, Dexter also gets his hands on a guy who kills girls in snuff videos. Nice. I didn’t know saran wrap was that durable, this is some industrial-grade stuff – definitely, not your mother’s saran wrap.

Cast and Crew notes:
I knew Julie Benz looked familiar – she plays Rita, Dexter’s “girlfriend,” she’s from Angel!
Jennifer Carpenter (plays Dex's sister, Debra), was Emily Rose as in “The Exorcism of”
Erik King had a stint on Oz – and frankly is the most interesting character after Dexter
Was that Tootie from Facts of Life coming on to Dexter as his superior officer? No, it was not. But Lauren Velez looks a heck of a lot like Kim Fields. It threw me off the entire time.

Michael Cuesta – directed several Six Feet Under eps over the past few years and the indie fave LIE back in 2001. God, that movie made me squirm. I should have known.

--
Edited by Paula Paige at {1}
Posted by Paula Paige 10/3/06 3:12 PM

October 8: 2006: Crocodile

Water cleanses the soul. The opening and the ending shot are of Dexter lying in water. Does it not cleanse? Can it wipe away the blood? “Out, out, damned spot.”

“Another beautiful Miami day — mutilated corpses with a light chance of afternoon showers.”

When we last left our intrepid hero, he was tickled that the Ice Truck killer had left puzzle pieces for him in his freezer in the form of a sliced-up Barbie doll. This week, we watch as Dexter fiddles his way through an emotion, frustration. Dex has been outsmarted by this killer; maybe he’s a bit enamored as well. Nice to see that the forensics expert has the ability to feel something, no matter how many times he tells us he doesn’t feel anything akin to emotions.

I wonder if there really is such a position as Blood Spatter Analyst. How does one get that job? Does every police department have one? What is the training for such a career? And at what point in a person’s life do they say, “Screw flipping burgers, I’m going into blood-spatter analysis”?

Dexter knows the exact number of cases he has worked on — 2103. What’s the significance of the number? There’s always something behind something that blatant. A search on Google brought up about 22 million other incidences of the number. Homework — figure out the meaning of the number.

The sound of the drill was the only thing that really got me this week. Is it that innate fear of the dentist’s office? I don’t know, but when Croc Tears was trying to lie his way out of getting drilled to death, I felt for him, even though I knew he deserved it.

I get it, though, what Dex wants to accomplish, it’s like Farrah Fawcett in The Burning Bed. It’s not enough to kill someone, you want to hurt them, no, you want to make them experience just some of the horror and pain they inflicted on their victims. So we can sympathize with Dex as he brutally stabs Croc in the heart, and egg him on to do more. But it’s not just about “revenge, or retaliation, or balancing the books,” as his father tells him. Does Dex prolong the pain once he starts it, or is it watching the mental anguish that gives Dex his continued motivation? And I gotta know, what does he do with all those body parts after he cuts them up? Now there’s a story line I’d like to cross.

And does he not have the cleanest and least used freezer in the universe?

Everyone else: A few disgruntled viewers have started a “we hate Dex’s sister” club. So far, the jury’s still out on her. Rita still won’t sleep with Dexter because of past emotional and physical injury, but Dex’s damage trumps hers and he happily waits it out. I liked watching another layer being peeled off Sgt. Doakes as we learn a deep dark secret, and I don’t mean that he used to be Lt. La Geurta’s partner. He strikes me as one of the most interesting characters, and I can’t wait to see him come unraveled.

FYI, Dexter’s father on the show was in Battlestar Galactica for a few eps and played Samantha’s rich, playboy fiancé, Richard, on Sex in the City.

I watched Dexter during the day. Smart. Tonight, I’ll sleep.

Posted by Paula Paige 10/9/06 3:50 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users