Alice In Wonderland Theme

Alice in Wonderland (the cartoon) has just started playing on Toon Disney, if you get that channel. I thought I'd mention it, as the theme of this year's BB is (M)Alice in Wonderland, so some of the competitions will have that theme.

how do you know thats the them?

thanks

but why that lame theme

seems a bit like a female theme

You're welcome! They are also replaying it tomorrow at 9 a.m. Eastern, on the same channel, in case you miss it today, or want to record it. :animated_bouncy:

A man actually wrote Alice In Wonderland, so it's not really a girl's story, although a girl is the central character. I think they chose that theme because it's about things not really being as they seem, it's about entering a strange world where everything is topsy-turvy. Plus, they were able to have a lot of psychadelic visual effects in the house. :cheshire:

I had expected some of the guests to think the theme was silly, but they seem to enjoy it. Dick was talking a lot about it last night, comparing people to the characters in the book. He feels Daniele is like Alice.

a man may have wrote it

but the theme just seem like a female one

alice nothing manly about that jmho

• 3 weeks later...

Which made this the most interesting BB ever. Though I haven't been quite sure who is who. And sorry if this topic is here but I didn't see it. Obviously Dani is Alice, Dick is the mad hatter, Kail the Queen of hearts, Eric the rabbit or, maybe Amber since she is emotional all the time, hmmm maybe Dick should be the Cheshire cat. I could be totally wrong but think I am not :) oh and Joe and Dustin as Tweedle Dee and Dum :)

i use to love alice in wonderland it's a great book (and through the looking glass) i also enjoy the wizard of oz books (and movies)

ok here's how i see it

Dustin - Tweedle Dee - the smarter of the 2

Joe - The March Hare - the crazy side kick to the hatter

Eric - White Rabbit - mysterious

Dick - The Hatter - a bit crazy but in that good kinda way

Nick - Cheshire Cat - in everyones ear helping them but not there for himself

Zack - The Knave of Hearts - part of the queens army but not as loyal

Mike - The King of Hearts - the queens right hand man

Kail - Queen of Hearts - nuff said

Jessica - The Catipillar - just replace the hooka with a beer bong and you have jessica

Carol - The Mock Turtle - not quite real just kinda there

Jameka - The Gryphon - very wise and a good listener

Amber - Tweedle Dumb - the dumber of the 2

Jen - The Duchess - Duchess is as unpleasant as the Queen of hearts herself

haha that was fun

oops haha i thought i added her

Daniele - Alice - of course.....

i'm biased tho i like dani and nick and hate amber so i put them to characters i thought they should be as opposed to who they are suppose to be (like who they were cast to be like, dustin and joe were probably tweedle dee and tweele dumb)

Alice in wonderland has hidden meaning that i believe has something to do with LSD and other drugs..Kinda like Puff the magic dragon and weed.. heck since we got a meth head in Amber in the house I think they got the theme of the show almost right this year

WARNING!! LONG POST!!! okay this is a little long but copying and pasting from wiki. Just to dispell the drug similarities people like to attach to Alice in Wonderland :-)

History

Alice was first published on 4 July 1865, exactly three years after the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and the Reverend Robinson Duckworth rowed in a boat up the River Thames with three little girls:[1]

Lorina Charlotte Liddell (aged 13) ("Prima" in the book's prefatory verse)

Alice Pleasance Liddell (aged 10) ("Secunda" in the prefatory verse)

Edith Mary Liddell (aged 8) ("Tertia" in the prefatory verse)

Facsimile page from Alice's Adventures Under GroundThe journey had started at Folly Bridge near Oxford, England and ended five miles away in the village of Godstow. To while away time the Reverend Dodgson told the girls a story that, not so coincidentally, featured a bored little girl named Alice who goes looking for an adventure.

The girls loved it, and Alice Liddell asked Dodgson to write it down for her. He eventually did so and on 26 November 1864 gave Alice the manuscript of Alice's Adventures Under Ground. Some, including Martin Gardner, speculate there was an earlier version that was destroyed later by Dodgson himself when he printed a more elaborate copy by hand (Gardner, 1965), but there is no real evidence to support this.

According to Dodgson's diaries, in the spring of 1863 he gave the unfinished manuscript of Alice's Adventures Under Ground to his friend and mentor George MacDonald, whose children loved it. On MacDonald's advice, Dodgson decided to submit Alice for publication. Before he had even finished the manuscript for Alice Liddell he was already expanding the 18,000-word original to 35,000 words, most notably adding the episodes about the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Tea-Party. In 1865, Dodgson's tale was published as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by "Lewis Carroll" with illustrations by John Tenniel. The first print run of 2,000 was destroyed because Tenniel had objections over the print quality. (Only 23 copies are known to have survived; 18 are owned by major archives or libraries, such as the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, while the other five are held in private hands.) A new edition, released in December of the same year but carrying an 1866 date, was quickly printed.

The entire print run sold out quickly. Alice was a publishing sensation, beloved by children and adults alike. Among its first avid readers were young Oscar Wilde and Queen Victoria. The book has never been out of print. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has been translated into 125 languages, including Esperanto and Faroese. There have now been over a hundred editions of the book, as well as countless adaptations in other media, especially theatre and film

Misconception of characters

Although Tweedledee, Tweedledum, Humpty Dumpty, and the Jabberwock are often thought to be characters in Alice in Wonderland, they are actually all in the later sequels to the story, and were never featured in the original.

The term "Wonderland", from the title, has entered the language and refers to a marvelous imaginary place, or else a real-world place that one perceives to have dream like qualities. It, like much of the Alice work, is widely referenced in popular culture.

The White Rabbit."Down the Rabbit-Hole", the Chapter 1 title, has become a popular term for going on an adventure into the unknown. In computer gaming, a "rabbit hole" may refer to the initiating element that drives the player to enter the game. In drug culture, "going down the rabbit hole" is a metaphor for taking drugs.

In Chapter 6, the Cheshire Cat's disappearance prompts Alice to say one of her most memorable lines: "...a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

In Chapter 7, the Hatter gives his famous riddle without an answer: "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" Although Carroll intended the riddle to have no solution, in a new preface to the 1896 edition of Alice, he proposes several answers: "Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!" (Note the spelling of "never" as "nevar"

Thanks for all of the information, mjcs! I love the Alice books, and the cartoon by Disney. I also have a book of Dodgson's letters. He was a very complicated man.

Your welcome :-). Alice in Wonderland is a beautiful classic and far too often associated with drug use. Which is so far from true!!

Archived