June 39th????????????

Ivy

Guest Shockalot

I'm just thinking that if there is any 'reason' for the seemingly disproportionate 'gay audience' it would have to be simply coinciding with Big Brothers Cast being disproportionately Gay most of the time.

I dont think a Gay 'necessarily' watches a show just because it has characters that are also Gay - but it surely would seem to explain it somehow.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a gay man, I don't claim to have the answer but I have some observations.

I really don't think it has to do with there usually being a token gay houseguest, most of whom I did not root for. (But then again, I only watched seasons 1, 2 and 6 and season 1 had no openly gay houseguest.)

Perhaps it's the soap opera quality of this reality show. I don't have any demographics, but I think gay people are disproportionately fans of both daytime and nighttime soap operas (the latter being like Dallas, Dynasty and Melrose Place). We also disproportionately watch and enjoy shows like "Sex and the City" more than our straight male counterparts.

Perhaps there's some relationship to the audiences for theatre being disproportionately gay too (I was a a theatre actor in NYC for 20 years but now live in L.A.). Like theatre, with BB, there's lots of verbal drama (as opposed to more action oriented reality shows like Amazing Race and Survivor) and the "characters" are under such a microscope for our enjoyment.

It's kind of a guilty pleasure to watch Big Brother - I would never bring it up at work unless I overheard a fellow co-worker talking about it. Then I'd chime in with "Can you believe he or she did that or say this?" This last part has nothing to do with being a gay viewer, but just a passing thought. Again, a guilty pleasure.

Guest Shockalot

I never knew any heterosexual men who watched 'Sex in the City'.

I saw 15 minutes of it once.

It represented everything wrong with the world today.

Im not saying that because it was a show about four Gay men (but played by women).

The superficial materialism and shallow characters were what turned me right off.

I do think there is something to your theory Sparky.

In the same way there are so many Jews writing for TV and Movies and so many Canadians watching BB or heading South to succeed in Hollywood.

People who can fit in and be in the mainstream but also see themselves as being 'just outside' or somehow positioning themselves in more 'observer' mentality.

Gays, Jews, Canadians putting themselves in an 'outside looking in' way of seeing things.

I dunno

I can only speak for myself, but my interest in this year's Big Brother had nothing to do with Beau being a houseguest. And my interest in season 2 had nothing to do with the gay houseguest (I forget his name) who was on a crying jag everytime he was in the Diary Room. These two people made me cringe more than root for them.

Anyway, at the risk of comparing apples to oranges, I think the audience for the non-reality show "Lost" probably has the same proportionate viewership as "Survivor" - similar to basic society at large.

I think the audience of the non-reality show "Desperate Housewives" probably has a disproportionate viewership like "Big Brother" - not as straight as for "Lost". Again, it's the soap opera quality of Desperate Housewives and Big Brother that may draw a disproportionate gay viewership.

Guest Jerryv101

I am gay and I watch this show for Janelle. I have no interest in the two gays this year, except that I cringe whenever they speak and have to tell myself that straight people will not judge us all based on them. I think Janelle is realistically as close to the true gay man as you can get with this season's cast. She is kind to the people who are sincerely kind to her (she knows fake people when she sees it) and she treats those who are fake indifferently. She doesn't waste a lot of time fighting with them even though she has proven she can take them all on. (case in point, telling maggie straight up that she was a bitch, calling April a gold digging whore, Jennifer a clown, and Beau a whore) She breathes honesty and bluntless into this game. Few of the Friendship can brag that they were themselves, because have we ever seen the Friendship (aside from drunken Beau screaming about Janelle's hair, the same hair he and April both want to get for themselves once outside of the house) take her on. I love that girl. She is beautiful, intelligent, fearless, honest, and loyal. Those qualities alone make her my favorite. Notice I didn't say she is kind, because she is only kind to those who are kind to her, which we all are to an extent.

Guest DenimIsGreat
I am gay and I watch this show for Janelle. I have no interest in the two gays this year, except that I cringe whenever they speak and have to tell myself that straight people will not judge us all based on them. I think Janelle is realistically as close to the true gay man as you can get with this season's cast. She is kind to the people who are sincerely kind to her (she knows fake people when she sees it) and she treats those who are fake indifferently. She doesn't waste a lot of time fighting with them even though she has proven she can take them all on. (case in point, telling maggie straight up that she was a bitch, calling April a gold digging whore, Jennifer a clown, and Beau a whore) She breathes honesty and bluntless into this game. Few of the Friendship can brag that they were themselves, because have we ever seen the Friendship (aside from drunken Beau screaming about Janelle's hair, the same hair he and April both want to get for themselves once outside of the house) take her on. I love that girl. She is beautiful, intelligent, fearless, honest, and loyal. Those qualities alone make her my favorite. Notice I didn't say she is kind, because she is only kind to those who are kind to her, which we all are to an extent.

You're one funny mo fo. Just remember this, since it's equally "judgmental" to love

something or speak and or think "positively" about it as it is to think or feel or speak "negatively" about it.

You're stereotyping gay men as positive, kind, insightful, intelligent, and just all around good. I hope you don't mind people equally being against gays and calling them bad names too. Have fun fantasizing about gay men being so "perfect". Lol at the true gay man is a a whole list of "good" things.

For the record. I don't hate gays or anything, just don't like onesidedness. Nor the whole pro gay campaign that's been going on maybe the last few years. It's so pro gay, and anti hetero sexual man. So femimist controlled and operated. Scary and disgusting. Heteros unite!

You're one funny mo fo. Just remember this, since it's equally "judgmental" to love

something or speak and or think "positively" about it as it is to think or feel or speak "negatively" about it.

You're stereotyping gay men as positive, kind, insightful, intelligent, and just all around good. I hope you don't mind people equally being against gays and calling them bad names too. Have fun fantasizing about gay men being so "perfect". Lol at the true gay man is a a whole list of "good" things.

For the record. I don't hate gays or anything, just don't like onesidedness. Nor the whole pro gay campaign that's been going on maybe the last few years. It's so pro gay, and anti hetero sexual man. So femimist controlled and operated. Scary and disgusting. Heteros unite!

Wow. "Heteros unite!" That's the same logic and mindset of "whites unite!" to counter the civil rights movement. Civil rights is NOT about "us" (blacks, women, and gays) and against "them" (whites, men, and straights); it's about equality.

After all, I fall into both categories ("us" as a gay man and "them" as a white male). No one should feel threatened by equal rights. Unless they're bigoted or scared.

Guest Jerryv101

sounds to me like you have a problem with gay people. my quote about Janelle is why I like her so much. What makes her as close to a true gay man as you can get should be obvious. She has a great sense of style, she is full of attitude, she is very manipulative (but not in a bad way) and she is very into pop culture. Those are several more reasons. And what is with using the expression mo fo? If you didn't like my reasons for liking Janelle, that is fine, but don't blame them on gay people. You just sounded very stupid with that entire post.

I am so sick of all the trash talking on these boards!!!!

It would be so nice to have intelligent conversations on here but you cant say anything about who you like and why without someone saying you must not watch the feeds!!!! I do watch the feeds and I have my own opinion about who i like and i shouldnt be told to grow up and open my eyes. Oh it is so aggravating....

I actaully agree with the sentiment of stopping the bashing of Morty members. But I also agree that if you are going to write such a thing, then it starts with you. There are a few of us that have kept cooler heads and enjoy posting.

I, personally, look past the EXTREME posters on both sides of the house.

ok, your sick of trash talking, but ive seen you do it too.

are you sick of the all trash talking, or the trash talking about the friendship, and their small group of supporters?

Hey mikede - you mean the Fiendship actually has a support group? Now that's funny!!!!! :lol:

Bambi - looks like your the minority in a majority site. Too bad!!! :P

And another thing.... Have you read any of the threads where you have posted? LOLOL Now that's truly calling the kettle black.

Duchie

I like the trash talk. We're not important, they are not going to read this stuff, and it's pleasurable. There are boards where everyone is obliged to speak in pastel rainbows to one another, but the mods are basically parents there.

I think it's usually better to keep it focused on the HGs, but people are people. We get passionate over our opinions over this most trivial of topics.

I say more trash talk with 40% more HG venom!

I agree people get a little (a lot) upset when people disrespect their favorite people. I like Janie and Howie because they are playing a game and not taking this game too seriously. As for the Friendship I actually believe that they came here to make long life friends and nothing is going to get in their way of that except 500,000 dollars I keep forgeting that. Come next week when they have to turn on each other it will be a whole nother ball game. You mark my words April will be the first to pick it in the nose. I'm sorry take a hit. These people are fake all of them. They are playing a game. If you guys can not see this and keep civil I will have to send you to your rooms and no more Mortys for the rest of the season. To quote that one guy "Can't we all just get along" IfyouunderstandwhatI'msaying?

sorry rant time :D

We're not important, they are not going to read this stuff, and it's pleasurable.

Tums I agree with most of your post but on this one point I have to say that... Yes we are important... I have heard the "friendship" and the "sov" group talking about the fact that they can't wait to get out of the house and see what the message boards were having to say about them... That would be us... Now I agree it might not mean Morty's so much, but when you do a search for BB6 this is one of the top boards so who knows they might see what we have to say...

]

QUOTE(bambi_29_1976 @ Sep 2 2005, 11:35 AM)

Yeah well I agree with April the people who did vote for Janelle are shit. All of them are missing loved ones and Janelle wants to talk to Michael and yall gave it to her so yeah yall are shit!!!!

I voted for Jan plenty of times.I think it was an hilarious phone call...Much better then April getting it and crying like a baby so you cant understand what she is saying anyways.

Tums I agree with most of your post but on this one point I have to say that... Yes we are important... I have heard the "friendship" and the "sov" group talking about the fact that they can't wait to get out of the house and see what the message boards were having to say about them... That would be us... Now I agree it might not mean Morty's so much, but when you do a search for BB6 this is one of the top boards so who knows they might see what we have to say...

Good point. :) I'll amend to say that I think we don't need to take ourselves too seriously, but I agree they might see at least some of our comments. Janelle and Ivette did say they spend a lot of time on the internet, and Maggie once said she could not wait to see what people thought of her.

It starts out that someone has a little fun with one of the houseguests (which is why we are here to talk about BB) and then the next thing it's personal attacks. That's how it started with me, because I liked Kaysar.

It should be about the posters bashing the HG, but not the posters bashing eachother. I guess it is inevitable that it should work this way.

Of course, once you get flamed..what else is there to do, but reply back to the flamer.

And last but not least, you have people determined to take a thread and mold and frame it to what they want it to be by posting stupid irrelevant comments, so they get it right back too.

P.S. You can't expect to go into a "I love Janelle" thread and not be answered to, when you you start posting how much you hate her.

Nope I am not a relative of the friendship and nope I wasnt ignoring you all. I went to my job. Now I was saying there is too much hate on these boards. The statements you found me saying were responses to some hateful things being said. On this thread I was trying to say why cant we all get along. It is soooo aggravating to see all the hateful things being said on these boards. No one can say anything without being bashed and called stupid names. Now yes I did get heated up over the things being said and I retaliated. That was my fault and I am grown up enough to admit it, But that is what I am saying lets quit acting like this. Now if you want to criticize me for trying to start something new on this board then go right ahead. Why cant we all just get along !!!!!

Nope I am not a relative of the friendship and nope I wasnt ignoring you all.  I went to my job.  Now I was saying there is too much hate on these boards.  The statements you found me saying were responses to some hateful things being said.  On this thread I was trying to say why cant we all get along.  It is soooo aggravating to see all the hateful things being said on these boards.  No one can say anything without being bashed and called stupid names.  Now yes I did get heated up over the things being said and I retaliated.  That was my fault and I am grown up enough to admit it, But that is what I am saying lets quit acting like this.  Now if you want to criticize me for trying to start something new on this board then go right ahead.  Why cant we all just get along !!!!!

Part of the problem you're having is because people identify with these characters because they have the same qualities that they themselves already possess or wish to possess. So it does become personal, hence the personal attacks. Are you really suprised? :rolleyes: