Sign in to follow this  
TheNunOwnedGoat

Dark Shadows

Anyone else here seen or remember Dark Shadows? I'm obsessed with it! I love this show on so many levels, and Barnabas & Co. never get old. I'm re-watching the entire series by checking out the DVDs which are in my local public library's network. Aaaah, I love this show.

Actually, I had to write a research paper on any topic for an English class last semester and I chose to write about Dark Shadows and the fandom it created. It was supposed to be 5-10 pages, but mine ended up being 19 (luckily I wasn't counted off for going to long!).

Anyone else in love with DS?

I'm in the process of re-watching at this moment. I'm up to the part where Victoria Winters is in jail for practicing witchcraft. Barnabas just discovered he has powers, and he's thirsty.

Yes, I enjoy it on many levels too. The story was great, sometimes the acting is great, catching bloopers like two cameras colliding with each other and the day the set caught fire and they just kept right on rolling, I really like the TV history it represents and all the behind the scenes stuff. This is my first time seeing it on DVD, and I control myself to wait until the end of the disc to watch the interview, instead of cheating and watching it first.

When I saw it as a kid I had a major crush on Alexandra (Moltke) Isles. All the real life scandals of the cast are as good as the scripts of Dark Shadows too.

-M

The storyline you're on is actually one of my favorites -- it had all sorts of Collins family drama while incorporating the supernatural perfectly. The next major flashback (to the year 1897) was another good one. Then again, it was always refreshing to come back to present-day characters after missing them for so long.

The bloopers are always fun to catch, too! My favorite is in the Leviathan storyline, when Barnabas enters the antique shop and the bell falls from the top of the door. Both the actors just stand there and watch it fall, then continue on with their lines as if nothing had happened.

You have more willpower then me, Morty. The interviews are always the first thing I skip to when I put in the next disc.

Oh, and Alexandra Isles. I have to admit that I'm still in love with 70's-Alexandra. After she left the show, I could barely stand watching the actress that took her place for about the next couple weeks.

I remember watching Dark Shadows with my older sister as a kid. I didn't get to watch it very often....because of going to school. If I can get it on DVD that would be cool. I loved the intro music....sort of creepy.

Catlady, It is on DVD..... Consider getting netflix otherwise it will cost you a lot of $$$$$ to get the entire series on DVD. Of course you might get your fill after watching a few dozen episodes. It is fun to watch, but it is 60s soap that drags on and on rather slowly especially if you're watching the episodes back to back to back. :animated_bouncy: . Still, its not too bad.

Might also consider getting the the movie made based TV series The House of Dark Shadows The movie is pretty good, same cast as the soap.

Thanks for the info echo. I didn't know they made a movie based on the soap. I'll have to look for it. Didn't they do a remake of Dark Shadows like in the mid 90s that bombed....the old grey-cells aren't working too good. ;)

. Didn't they do a remake of Dark Shadows like in the mid 90s that bombed

TCS, yes. I thought it was pretty decent, but it did bomb in the ratings. A lot of good series die before their time.

Go here to get more info Dark Shadows (1991)

1991....I knew it was sometime in the 90's.......I too really liked the remake. I thought that it wasn't given enough time before it was cancelled. ;)

TCS, if you do get Dark Shadows on DVD, you should get Dark Shadow-The Beginning

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Beginni...0788&sr=8-1

On disk #3 or #4 they have the first episode with the original commercials.

Thanks echo.....I'll look from some DVDs after the Holidays. Original commercials....cool! :pixiedust:

I loved Dark Shadows, especially the first two times they went into the past. Alexandra Moltke was no Meryl Streep, but she was perfectly cast as the bewildered ingenue. The show lost its heart when she left. The other great cast member was Lara Parker, as the vicious and beautiful Angelique!